Revenge of the Archon: too hard?

Mandalin

Anyone try this?

As a sniper I had the usual troubles with this fight (being stunned, being pulled in front of the laser etc.)

So I just initiated the fight with a little damage on the boss until the adds came out, then ran out of the room and waited until he got refueled. Each time he got to full fuel, some droids ran to me (without even attacking me or running back to refuel when the boss was out of energy). I didn't attack them so after a couple of times of refueling, ALL droids were in the doorway.

After this I just had to run in and attack the boss; he was completely drained after his last laser.

Very anti-climactic... I didn't feel like I beat the bossfight, I just felt like I beat the system and that can't be the goal of the game.

Edited by WernerChr
clarification

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very true. But for those who are having difficulty, be careful because this instance is exactly like the other Isotope Robot boss in that it scales to your group size. You go in there with 3 or more and... put your Ops gear on. You are in for a fight. :D

You just have to be grouped for it to scale, they dont have to go in with you.

Found this out the hard way.

This fight can be very frustrating. Just bring out your healer comp and avoid the laser at all costs. Giant, evil laser starting to cast? Stop DPSing/Tanking/Healing and run. If your a melee class, doing the Republic side of this, this is much easier for you, because you can just walk through the droid when it starts to charge up the laser and you'll be behind it, out of harms way. For Imperials, when you get knocked back to the entrance of the room, just move behind one row of pillars and it won't hit you. The key is just to avoid the laser. Do that, and your issues should be minimal.

It's not an easy fight, but it's definitely doable if you pay attention to the mechanics.

I did notice when doing it on my commando healer, the republic version was a lot easier then the imp version

There were basically no tactics other then stay out of the red circles.

Anyone try this?

As a sniper I had the usual troubles with this fight (being stunned, being pulled in front of the laser etc.)

So I just initiated the fight with a little damage on the boss until the adds came out, then ran out of the room and waited until he got refueled. Each time he got to full fuel, some droids ran to me (without even attacking me or running back to refuel when the boss was out of energy). I didn't attack them so after a couple of times of refueling, ALL droids were in the doorway.

After this I just had to run in and attack the boss; he was completely drained after his last laser.

Very anti-climactic... I didn't feel like I beat the bossfight, I just felt like I beat the system and that can't be the goal of the game.

Interesting. Someone else claimed they lured the boss out of the room and he couldn't refuel making the fight much easier. So, the boss did not follow you?

It's not an easy fight, but it's definitely doable if you pay attention to the mechanics.

I did notice when doing it on my commando healer, the republic version was a lot easier then the imp version

There were basically no tactics other then stay out of the red circles.

You have to go behind that boss too, or else he will insta-kill with a laser.

About this fight, though: The first time I faced Szajin, I was on my newly 55 Jugger Tank, with no clue about the mechanics. I still beat the fight first try, and I don't remember there being any difficulties for me at all. So either I have a lot of natural talent, or the fight was bugged and Szajin did not work as intended. And this was a couple of months after Makeb was first released.

I hear ya the quest is bloody hard. Heres some tips I tried

1)lots of medpacs and adrenals, if possible buy the field repair droid

2)if possible group, easiest way

3)yes stay out of his aoes, obvious and I appreciate you know this but they hit dang hard so quickest way to die too

4)use your healer companion

5)kill the droids first, they heal him and also use the "grenades" to destroy the two generators behind him

6)try doing different choices in your answers in the quest, I swear I tried this and it seems the battle went different

Interesting. Someone else claimed they lured the boss out of the room and he couldn't refuel making the fight much easier. So, the boss did not follow you?

The boss definitely didn't follow me, I suppose you could push/pull him to the exit.

I wonder, did somebody else have this occur : whenever the boss is completely refueled, some droids leave position to come after you instead of remaining around the boss?

The boss definitely didn't follow me, I suppose you could push/pull him to the exit.

I wonder, did somebody else have this occur : whenever the boss is completely refueled, some droids leave position to come after you instead of remaining around the boss?

I have an alt approaching the fight and I will try it in the next couple of days. One more question. What about your companion, did he or she stay in the room and die?

Edited by Rafaman

I have an alt approaching the fight and I will try it in the next couple of days. One more question. What about your companion, did he or she stay in the room and die?

This is even more stupid : I had Lokin along, lvl 55 and reasonably well geared. So from time to time, I made him attack the Archon and whenever his health went down, I just recalled him and he reappeared beside me. While out he was attacked by the Archon but the red laser of instant death only knocked him around with a little damage which Lokin could auto-heal quite easily...

Good luck with your alt, I'm curious if this will work for you to.

I found the trick of hotkeying passive stance for your companion and using it as a recall that one of the guides I checked out suggested to be a complete and total lifesaver since I was playing a healer (healing spec sorcerer). Basically, you use the attack and passive commands to have your companion do a crude kite so you can pull them out of the way of the AoEs.

I never managed to stop the refueling system (kept getting killed every time I tried) but I did try to get the refueling droids as much as possible. Other then that, I basically just stayed in or near the doorway and pulled Ashara back with me every time I had to dodge out of the way of either the AoE's or the laser and directed her to attack again as soon as it was passed.

Actually wound up working way better then I expected but, then again, I was level 55 and both myself and my companion were in the best gear that can possibly be crafted without raiding (artifact L66) and I know that both gear and the boosts from Legacy Levels really do make far more difference in how difficult fights are then we like to give them credit for or even notice half the time. Still, after countless faceplants, I finally got through the first time I tried that trick.

Now, if only I can get past Zaoron on Oricon because he just keeps laying me flat no matter what I try but while the "answers" are probably pretty much the same as here (and I know that mine's no better heh), that's still a different thread..... :cool:

Edited by Dallayna

• 2 weeks later...

Spent around an hour and a half trying to do this on my MM sniper, over a dozen wipes and 50k in repair bills. I've never been so frustrated, and the hole I put thru my coffee table iterates that pretty well.

If you are a sniper, do yourself a favor and just group up so you don' t have to deal with this retardedness. BW can go lick a choad for not fixing the LoS issues with this fight. Even though the repair droids are in plain sight you can't shoot them or even grenade them if you are in front of the steps. The only way I was finally able to beat this dicksnap was by just standing under his belly, and by using every CD and consumable I had. Doesn't help that Lokin heals like a sped either.

There's a fine line between challenging and bugged to hell. It might actually be challenging on any other class other than a sniper. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go strangle a small animal :rak_01:

Spent around an hour and a half trying to do this on my MM sniper, over a dozen wipes and 50k in repair bills. I've never been so frustrated, and the hole I put thru my coffee table iterates that pretty well.

If you are a sniper, do yourself a favor and just group up so you don' t have to deal with this retardedness. BW can go lick a choad for not fixing the LoS issues with this fight. Even though the repair droids are in plain sight you can't shoot them or even grenade them if you are in front of the steps. The only way I was finally able to beat this dicksnap was by just standing under his belly, and by using every CD and consumable I had. Doesn't help that Lokin heals like a sped either.

There's a fine line between challenging and bugged to hell. It might actually be challenging on any other class other than a sniper. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go strangle a small animal :rak_01:

You know, if you put distance between you and the steps, that whole 'cannot see target' thing isn't an issue. It's only when you crouch down in front of the steps that you hinder yourself.

Stay at max range, burn him down, kill the adds when they come out and move out of the way of the huge laser.

Edited by Infernixx

• 4 weeks later...

This quest is a textbook example of something that would be fun if there was a tactics system for companions or if healing companions weren't completely *********** overvalued, thus baiting anyone who uses a different one into death by roleplay.

As it is this is just *********** stupid.

OK as a sniper this is all you have to do.Push boss forward with cover pulse, stay alive kill bots then push forward again, do it one more time, boss can not recharge, no more aoe and you can easily destroy generators since boss is out of range. Done

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Forget tactics! At least as a Sith Assassin.

I tried killing the refueling bots for rods - in 4 tries I got 3 drops, 1 of which I had the chance to loot (usually I was thrown away before I could loot it). So that tactic doesn't work.

What does work for an assassin is using Overload to push the boss back towards the force fields, and then just staying there between him and the fields, spamming damage on him while Talos heals your from the sidelines (did someone mention all other than the healer companions are completely useless on this one? :p ).

I got booted to the front of the room once and then just ran back to damage him from behind.

This way all his missile attacks, etc just miss you, since he cannot target the wall where you're standing.

A gimp tactic and one not meant to be used by the devs for sure, but a working one.

This was an unbalanced encounter (class-wise) if I ever saw one; I could totally see my Vanguard breezing through this with AoE damage on the refuelers, etc...

Edited by Jouk

Forget tactics! At least as a Sith Assassin.

I tried killing the refueling bots for rods - in 4 tries I got 3 drops, 1 of which I had the chance to loot (usually I was thrown away before I could loot it). So that tactic doesn't work.

What does work for an assassin is using Overload to push the boss back towards the force fields, and then just staying there between him and the fields, spamming damage on him while Talos heals your from the sidelines (did someone mention all other than the healer companions are completely useless on this one? :p ).

I got booted to the front of the room once and then just ran back to damage him from behind.

This way all his missile attacks, etc just miss you, since he cannot target the wall where you're standing.

A gimp tactic and one not meant to be used by the devs for sure, but a working one.

This was an unbalanced encounter (class-wise) if I ever saw one; I could totally see my Vanguard breezing through this with AoE damage on the refuelers, etc...

I really believe that Bioware failed to completely test this encounter with a variety of classes and companions.

Also the encounter comes off as being a flashpoint style fight (heck, there is even a fight just like it in one of the Kuat flashpoints).

Personally, I'm not going to waste my time leveling an Imperial alt through Makeb again. I have yet to meet someone in game with good things to say about that fight, even if they did it in one try.

I've done it on 8 toons and probably solo'd it 6 of those times. Some ACs and specs are more difficult than others, but it can be done solo at 53. Gear up. Kill the droids (even if you have to manually target them) and get the two clickies as soon as possible.

For healers it *is* more difficult. I had to get help with my Operative but solo'd it easily with my Sorc. Use HK if you have him and are a healer.

As a DPS or Tank you should have no trouble with this mission using your healer companion. Gear up. Use purple 66 gear that you can equip at 53. It isn't that expensive on the GTN.

If you plan correctly you should already be 55 well before you get to this mission. Do the makeb dailies and flashpoint to finish leveling and go back to this mission if it's difficulty is too much.

There is zero reason to nerf this quest. Many, many people solo'd it a day or two after the Makeb expansion last year in Rakata/BH gear.

I've done it on 8 toons and probably solo'd it 6 of those times. Some ACs and specs are more difficult than others, but it can be done solo at 53. Gear up. Kill the droids (even if you have to manually target them) and get the two clickies as soon as possible.

For healers it *is* more difficult. I had to get help with my Operative but solo'd it easily with my Sorc. Use HK if you have him and are a healer.

As a DPS or Tank you should have no trouble with this mission using your healer companion. Gear up. Use purple 66 gear that you can equip at 53. It isn't that expensive on the GTN.

If you plan correctly you should already be 55 well before you get to this mission. Do the makeb dailies and flashpoint to finish leveling and go back to this mission if it's difficulty is too much.

There is zero reason to nerf this quest. Many, many people solo'd it a day or two after the Makeb expansion last year in Rakata/BH gear.

With my operative healer it was fairly easy, once you know the tactics. I all but lost my mind until I figured out what to do. Ignore him completely (with yourself and companion) until you get both shield generators down, then it becomes very easy. Takes a long time, but just keep killing refueling droids while keeping yourself and your companion alive. Roll to the side when knocked back to avoid the red laser, once the two generators are down, the fight can actually start.

The problem is that this requires a lot more tactics than solo content usually has. I am not saying that as a good or bad thing (I enjoy figuring stuff like that out), but it is definitely a slight change of pace from most solo fights.

Edited by Cidanel

Lol @ all these complaints

I went in with Rakata gear, full power/alacrity (I got it as a joke once) on a pyro merc, with Torian as the companion (torian was in blue 46s) - and one-shot him

Just cause the repair droids start off yellow (non-hostile) doesn't mean you can't hit them straight away guys. Manually click them, or use an area-based AoE (e.g. Sweeping Slash, Flame Sweep, Lightning Storm, Suppressive Fire, ect...) to make them red. And you don't need to use a healer companion or legacy abilities or anything like that. Just good-old fashioned use of properly timed abilities. And DCDs.

Edited by TACeMossie