2.0 Rip off

foorg

^^ What both of those guys said. Look at other games with p2p models, WoW, ffXI, Rift, all of those you have to buy the expansion [normally for $60] and anyone who doesn't buy it became useless in the game afterwards, it is the same thing all over again.

Sorry to be mean, but they've said for 4 months that you have to buy it to experience Makeb, and that you can only get to 55 by buying the expansion. Sure, maybe they didn't say that you can't get gear with coms at 50 anymore, and that the new brackets would mess up twinks and people that only want to play a level 50, but they had to change it with the updated levels and balancing.

Really, it isn't that hard to find $10 that you can use to buy this expansion pack, just don't go out to eat one day a week, or don't drive one day, and there ya go, $10.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice response @MSchuyler. A lot of what I see on these forums and what I see in general chat is the entitlement generation. I work in IT. It's not just about the development here. The server hardware this runs on has an end of life of about 3-4 years. The servers are 'old' in three years. You have to maintain them. They break, they need firmware updates etc. The systems engineers, the SAN engineers, the network engineers, the DBA's, the developers, the story writers, the voice over talent hired, the music and sound effects team. They don't work for free. They have bills to pay just like all of us. And we have a terrible economy! There aren't tons of jobs available and a lot of work is being offshored to India and other countries for lower wages. They are doing the best they can with the staff they have. I am very pleased with the release and give them all kudos for a job well done!

I have a hard time believing that someone can't afford $10 bucks for an expansion. Or $15 bucks to sub each month. If your a college kid, get a part time job. Help someone out. I bet you can find people who need some painting in the house or outdoor work you can do that will pay for the whole year of the game for a weekends or two's worth of work.

I think subs have a right to be mildly upset. I agree with paying for expansion, it helps fund development for the next content update. But if you're paying a monthly sub fee and you're denied access to the regular game content, like say access to the game, then yeah some complaints are justified.

I see this game as any other EA project: A way to nickel and dime you for as long as you stay interested. Sure, the expansion isn't that much and I support them charging you for it. But what if in 3-6 months they release an option pack that adds a new planet or unique gear and items, then another 3 months later, then another, etc.. all at the cost of $5-$10 a pop? The TOR community is starved for content, so they'll definitely want it. It all started to add up. Before you know it, you're spending more money on filler content than you probably wanted to, and really didn't get anything substantial. I'm not saying this is the case with TOR, but I wouldn't put it out your minds. Hopefully, any new expansions are of the same quality of content they put into Makeb, and not $5 for a new set of guns or an armor set like they did with Mass Effect 2 and 3..... oh wait, they're already doing that with the Cartel Market...

EA is a profit first publisher. They'll run a game out the door if it's function before it's finished, then charge you later down the road for the unfinished content as something "new". It's just sad to see Bioware's reputation soiled beyond repair when they were a first rate developer before EA got their fingers in them.

Although a little harsh I agree. Seriously if you can't spend a measly 10 bucks then MMO's are not for you.

Plus the 122 euros minimum you spend on sub + possible cartel coins you have bought. But its not the issue of spending some money on an add on. Its about subs not having access to end game stuff anymore. You had something as a sub and they took it away but I keep repeating myself and made my point already. This topic can be closed. To bad a lot of people are not interested in a good debate, only see what they want to see.

Huh he's actually right. I was debating if I should get th epre order cause its was only saying that u get 3 "awesome crap items" If you pre ordered. that was in end of december. I came back on the 18th of january and the front page of main site was still saying that u could get 3 epic items if you pre ordered. I bought the game on the jan 20th and THEN 2 days later i see the post where they say you get early access if you buy byefore jan 7th... They ADDED THAT AFTER i bought the xpack on jan 20th. I was so pissed off then.. and still am

ACTUALLY, you're both incorrect. I distinctly remember it saying you get early access if you purchase before a certain date (7th Jan?). I remember having discussions with my guild members and reminding them of this before that date. Basically what you guys are whinging about is that after this date, the preorder did not state that you do not get early access. That is because you shouldn't need to advise people of everything they don't get with something. They advertised perfectly correctly and YOU are the one who assumed you got something you didn't. Preorder does not equal early access. For example, when I buy a car, they do not need to advertise that will not also receive a horse.

Now excuse me, I have another level toon to level to 55 on Makeb.

Hey guys, you know that other MMO? The super popular one, with four expansions? Yeah, WoW. And you know how, if you don't buy Wrath, you can't level beyond 70? And if you don't buy Cata, you can't level beyond 80? And if you don't buy MoP, you can't level beyond 85? Same thing here. Why on earth would Bioware make an expansion and give it to you for free? Bioware and EA are companies. They have to make money, or they shut down. And how does one make money off a good MMO year after year? You sell expansions. And why would anyone buy an expansion if they could just access the content for free?

Plus the 122 euros minimum you spend on sub + possible cartel coins you have bought. But its not the issue of spending some money on an add on. Its about subs not having access to end game stuff anymore. You had something as a sub and they took it away but I keep repeating myself and made my point already. This topic can be closed. To bad a lot of people are not interested in a good debate, only see what they want to see.

Correction you only want what you want to see not the other way around. See the fact of the matter is you are not entitled to anything unless you bought the the expansion before the date which in this case was the 7th of Jan. So your claims hold absolutely no water water whatsoever as early access was given as a reward to subs who pre ordered during the promotion. So yeah if you did not pre order bad luck, stop complaining and accept the fact that you like everyone else who did not pre order will get access on the 14th.

Edit: Nice sig, good luck getting anyone to follow it.

Edited by theUndead

Correction you only want what you want to see not the other way around. See the fact of the matter is you are not entitled to anything unless you bought the the expansion before the date which in this case was the 7th of Jan. So your claims hold absolutely no water water whatsoever as early access was given as a reward to subs who pre ordered during the promotion. So yeah if you did not pre order bad luck, stop complaining and accept the fact that you like everyone else who did not pre order will get access on the 14th.

Edit: Nice sig, good luck getting anyone to follow it.

Please read my previous posts, you starting a discussion without being informed. But thanks for your response anyway.

Hey guys, you know that other MMO? The super popular one, with four expansions? Yeah, WoW. And you know how, if you don't buy Wrath, you can't level beyond 70? And if you don't buy Cata, you can't level beyond 80? And if you don't buy MoP, you can't level beyond 85? Same thing here. Why on earth would Bioware make an expansion and give it to you for free? Bioware and EA are companies. They have to make money, or they shut down. And how does one make money off a good MMO year after year? You sell expansions. And why would anyone buy an expansion if they could just access the content for free?

Content for free? Ridiculous statement. I have seen almost noone asking in this topic for free content so no idea what you are talking about.

Actually, content for free is exactly what you're asking for.

Its about subs not having access to end game stuff anymore. You had something as a sub and they took it away but I keep repeating myself and made my point already.

This quote right here illustrates my point perfectly. When a new expansion is released, the end game obviously moves to the new level cap. It can't be called "End Game Content" if it's not at the end of the levelling experience, now can it?

Edited by Gollum_Dowie

Ah yes, the dislike for 2.0 is because we're all little kids with a sense of entitlement. Great way to make yourself sound as ignorant as possible, with assumptions running wild. I don't think we should get everything for free because we pay sub, this isn't my first MMO. I know it's only $10, I'm not being cheap. I've played others games where I've payed more for less. But for me, I see this as the beginnings of a paved road towards 'nickel and dime' the customers. I get it's your money, your time. I too enjoy the game or else I wouldn't have cared to post about it, but I don't love it enough to get slapped in the face. I would more than likely pay to access the new planet, but what about the other content that's been moved up as well? And the removed vendors? It just seems silly to charge money for it when I already pay $15 a month for the game. But then I guess it boils down to what exactly does my money go to if not new content? Anyhow, continue enjoying the game, I do.

I think the missed point here is that Bioware and EA are businesses. In order for a business to be considered successful, it has to make money for it's shareholders. If every cent they earned went to new content, there'd be no money being earned, so the business would shut down.

Actually, content for free is exactly what you're asking for.

This quote right here illustrates my point perfectly. When a new expansion is released, the end game obviously moves to the new level cap. It can't be called "End Game Content" if it's not at the end of the levelling experience, now can it?

The second part of what you say is true. I guess it's just I don't think Makeb was a big enough expansion to warrant such a restriction or more of my money. Matter of opinion though. But I must say, thank you for opening my eyes and showing me that EA/ Bioware is not a charity, silly me. Just seems like love has turned into fanaticism.

That's fine. I don't have RotHC yet, as I play WoW more than TOR, so I can't comment on the quality of the expansion's content. However, I feel compelled to point out that I hate EA with a passion. They have ruined so many good games, this one especially. TOR could be rivaling WoW right now, but instead, we've got crap, buggy content. BioWare, though, have made some brilliant games, and I continue to expect good things from them in the future. Edited by Gollum_Dowie
Punctuation

Plus the 122 euros minimum you spend on sub + possible cartel coins you have bought.
You do know Cartel Coins are just fluff there is no reason to purchase them? I just find it funny that people will spend real money on Cartel Coins, but then balk at paying for real content.

Skip the expansion, I'm almost done on my sawbones and have loved every moment of it. Defiantly if anyone does decide to play it, don’t play it on a female smuggler or grouped with a female smuggler, it is just too good and will hurt your moaning about the content. $10.00 USD, hell it is worth at least 3 good movies, cheap for the entertainment value alone.

Edited by mikebevo

its a dlc pack with a hi lvl cap you dont pay you dont play sub or not simple i paid ill enjoy it on the 14

have you tried to play as a f2p player then you will no pain

this game makes you sub to enjoy it trust me on that

the exp was 10 bucks and you can still do everything you could before the exp pack was out just you get black hole gear now rather then the 2 lower crapper tiers you used to get

only wz gear is gone and its gone cos you no longer need it till max lvl 55 any way

only wz gear is gone and its gone cos you no longer need it till max lvl 55 any way

I see players in warzones now standing there with their elite war hero stuff, grinded it proudly but now fighting against naked people with higher expertise then they have. C'mon, this is the worst about the patch.

Anything else I must change my opinion on. I think they should keep the level 55 and additional new skills for subs as well but its not the most important thing. If Biow/EA would have left the WZ untouched, I wouldnt have anything else to complain about. Thank you for showing me this, all of you who have given their opinion. Lifted the boycot and will ask now for a better pvp situation and the problem(s) are fixed imo.

I see players in warzones now standing there with their elite war hero stuff, grinded it proudly but now fighting against naked people with higher expertise then they have. C'mon, this is the worst about the patch.

It's a bug that was acknowledged 2 days ago.

SO people are upset that 2.0 lets them get better gear than before 2.0 from the same content.

Before 2.0, level 50's could get columi and rakata from HM Flashpoints, Story mode EV/KP and HM EV/KP.

Before 2.0 you needed PVP gear requiring 2 gear sets to do PVP and PVE.

Before 2.0 you had Tioneese/Columi, Daily, and BH coms.

After 2.0. Level 50's get access to Black Hole, Campaign. Hazmat and Dreadguard from the same HM FP's and Storymode/HM OPs.

After 2.0 you only need 1 set of gear to PVP and PVE.

After 2.0 your coms are consolidated and only need 1 com type to purchase gear that has set bonuses. (weekly caps are being removed).

So you have the same content that drops better gear and better coms to purchase better gear. They've made 1 operation from 55 that was 50, but everything that drops in that operation still drops, just moved to a different Operation.

What did you lose? How did you get "screwed"? Everything you had before 2.0 is still there, there is actually more stuff, easier access to better gear.

2.0 is NOT the expansion. If you wanted to be 55, go to Makeb and do new content, then that required buying the expansion.

The only reason I Pre-ordered the expansion before Jan 7 was because they were offering people who pre-ordered before that date 5 days early access. It was stated several times all over the forums, Log in Banner. They did not annouce the other items , Title, Hut trainer, Pet for pre-orders, TIL AFTER Jan 7. So the people that ordered before Jan 7 thought all they were getting by pre-ordering was 5 days early access, the other stuff was annouced after that.

Edited by Creslan

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought me and the other 2 burgers and fries for $15 bucks. A splurge at 5 guys not McDs. One better than basic meal with no drinks for 2, same price as a months subscription. Should 5 guys give me free food every time they change the menu.

If u are complaining about $15 dollars a month for over 10 hours of game play, I want to ask how much do your customers pay for 1 hour of your time or do you work for the post office.

issues, but probably not this.

I just bought me and the other 2 burgers and fries for $15 bucks. A splurge at 5 guys not McDs. One better than basic meal with no drinks for 2, same price as a months subscription. Should 5 guys give me free food every time they change the menu.

If u are complaining about $15 dollars a month for over 10 hours of game play, I want to ask how much do your customers pay for 1 hour of your time or do you work for the post office.

issues, but probably not this.

No that doesn't fit... sticking with the burger analogy

he bought the game (Big Mac)

they got him to subscribe (sold him a customer discount card)

then announce 2.0 (Higher % discount card becomes available)

Then gut the original product (Suddenly original discount card doesn't work on Big Mac or anything else worth while)

When the customer asks "Well what about me I've been a faithfull customer since you were nothing but a milkshake stand. Every week I come and buy your product, and I've always kept my discount card renewed. Why can't I get the big mac with the standard discount card anymore?"

the answer from the company... "oh yeah the big mac is being discontinued completely and the discount card you have is still good for ketchup... ... ... Would you like to upgrade!"

Personally I think the customer has every right to slap that self serving, arrogant, representative across his face. To be honost I think this guy has been rather fair... in my opinion EA and Bioware should face criminal fraud charges for their introduction of 2.0 but without a community feeling the same it would be pointless to pursue.