PVP is so frustrating.

KhealThar

So with the ridiculous amount of time it takes to get out of recruit gear, and the amount of stuns, roots and CC in this game how does anyone enjoy pvp?

I'm constantly getting ambushed, smashed or just destroyed in an electrocute by people. Is it really worth taking this beating to get war hero gear? does it get better?

Just rollover sabers from 45 to 50 and step into full WH right off the bat.

Really though, it's just bound to happen in recruit. Your best bet is to try your best to stay out of the thick of things and contribute the best you can via CC, taunts, slows, etc... and try not to die. Keep it up and it doesn't take long to get geared. It does get a lot better the more gear you have, but overall you can still die pretty darn quick with the burst in this game.

Alternatively, wait 2 weeks until 50 gear doesn't matter anyway. BW made bolster much more effective, and just have fun going to 55.

Edited by Pheros

seriously it takes 2 days of PVP to get full warhero. a week if you are casual. 2 weeks if you just do the daily. I mean its stupid how easy it is to gear up in this game, and is only getting stupider with each patch. I really wish bioware never went away from the RNG bags.

So with the ridiculous amount of time it takes to get out of recruit gear, and the amount of stuns, roots and CC in this game how does anyone enjoy pvp?

I'm constantly getting ambushed, smashed or just destroyed in an electrocute by people. Is it really worth taking this beating to get war hero gear? does it get better?

not sure if serious.

if you actually prepare for PvP while you level, you can be in full WH in less than a week.

if you dont perpare for PvP while you level, it will take you ~2 weeks to get full WH.

compare this to the months that were required to gear up in the past. stop crying please.

there is no gear gap if you actually participate in PvP

not sure if serious.

if you actually prepare for PvP while you level, you can be in full WH in less than a week.

if you dont perpare for PvP while you level, it will take you ~2 weeks to get full WH.

compare this to the months that were required to gear up in the past. stop crying please.

there is no gear gap if you actually participate in PvP

I'm not sure I would call hording tokens from 40 to 51 participating. It's a somewhat god awful grind. Either you get smashed in the face for 2 weeks at level 50, or you spend 2 weeks at 40-49 and 1 week at 50. It helps but gear gaps are dumb.

Edited by dcgregorya

I'm not sure I would call hording tokens from 40 to 51 participating. It's a somewhat god awful grind. Either you get smashed in the face for 2 weeks at level 50, or you spend 2 weeks at 40-49 and 1 week at 50. It helps but gear gaps are dumb.

level 51? what are you on about? :confused:

and you dont have to horde tokens. btw you can level from 40-50 in a week from just doing warzones a couple hours a day.

there is no gear gap if you actually play the game..... i dont know how many times i can say that

level 51? what are you on about? :confused:

and you dont have to horde tokens. btw you can level from 40-50 in a week from just doing warzones a couple hours a day.

there is no gear gap if you actually play the game..... i dont know how many times i can say that

Two things.

1) A game I played for many years maxed levels at 51. Old habit, meant to say 50.

2) Your idea of a week is my idea of 2 weeks. It's a long time and its clearly a grind because it takes 4-5 times as long as PVE leveling. I don't play the game 8-10 hours a day, I have a job. And I know exactly how long it takes, because I have 8 level 50's that I'll have to regear once the patch hits :(. I've been through this 7 times.

Even if you max tokens, you can't get a full set of war hero, much less elite war hero, instantly.

So, yes, there's a gear gap. You can reduce it by grinding, but it's still there and it's a pointless sort of thing that makes no sense anyway.

FWIW, almost every thread about SWTOR PVP that knocks it comes in a few flavors (that aren't total nonsense at least):

1) Gear gaps are bad for competition.

2) This game has way too much CC.

3) The TTK is far too short in this game.

4) Premades vs pug matchmaking is broken.

All of those things I think are fairly universal, objective and reasonable feedback for SWTOR's PVP system. Honestly if you got rid of all of them, the game would simply be more entertaining to PVP in.

Edited by dcgregorya

Your frustration seems to be stemming more from lack understanding and how to gear to PvP correctly, and I do not blame you. The entry barrier for new players in PvP at level 50 (55 in 2 weeks) is insanely high. Here are some useful tips:

1- Saving comms before you get to max level WZs. You can save up to 2,750 WZ comms and 4,500 RWZ comms. If your end game is going to be PvP, I highly recommend you max out all comms before your level is maxed out. This serves to purposes: learning your toon's skills and rotations to a very well before you hit the 50 (55) WZs, which are much more competitive. Spending that much comms before 50 (55) WZs will ensure you be semi competitive compared to someone in full recruit. The difference between recruit main weapon and EWH is dramatic to say the least. Not to mention the expertise gained.

2- Going back to the first point. you need to know how your toon functions in the WZs. If you plan to learn at level 50 it is not going to be an incredibly frustrating experience, which can be avoided by spending time in the below max level WZ where the level of competition is below ground.

3- Understanding what the structure of each WZ and how all 8 advance classes (AC) and their skill trees can perform. Its an old saying: "knowing your enemy is half the battle." unfourtentaly this needs time. You may need as well to play 2-3 ACs before you can understand how most ACs work.

4- Use every advantage. Augment your items. Use stems. Augments and stems alone compromise about 20-25% of your toon's power. Make sure you have them in WZs.

5- CCs have been over the top since ver 1.3. The good news is one of the main CCs in the game is going away with the expansion (bubble stun). Again, knowing what CCs enemies can drop and being able to anticipate them can help significantly. Also, using CC break at the right time is useful to deal with CCs.

6- Doing some research can be useful. One of the down side of MMOs, you will probably need to go to the forums and do some research to learn much of the stuff. Its annoying and time consuming, but if you want to do good its a necessary evil.

Conclusion, from my personnel experience it takes about 80-100 WZ games to fully understand your toon's capabilities, and 400-500 WZ games to learn all ACs.

Edited by Ottoattack

I pvp to 50. That is the end of it. There is no reason to pvp post 50. 10 to 50 is fun...it's about skill. Post 50 pvp is gear versus gear. Maybe bolster will save it. :D

FWIW, almost every thread about SWTOR PVP that knocks it comes in a few flavors (that aren't total nonsense at least):

1) Gear gaps are bad for competition. (This is an MMO. That's how they all are. You need to grind the gear. A part of an MMO is the ability to grind and customize your toon's stats the way you prefer. You do not like it? MOBA and FPSs are out there. This will not work in an MMO )

2) This game has way too much CC (I totally agree).

3) The TTK is far too short in this game. Is it? In 10-49 WZs maybe. In level 50 WZs, no. You need 8-12 GCDs to kill most enemies without healing. if you factor in enemies' retaliation and enemy healers, the avg. life for dps and tank is between 60-90 secs. The avg. life for a healer is 120-180 secs. I killed someone in 4 GCDs before. Is that the standard. No.

4) Premades vs pug matchmaking is broken. I agree and I think this is one of the major draw backs of the game. The solution is to create a PvP rating for regular WZs and match players based on the rating. With the current population on servers its not doable. The games needs cross server ques for all PvP activity, but BW is more interested in cartel market than trying to improve the game quality (and God knows, maybe even get new subscribers or returned subscribers instead of trying to milk existing subscribers and F2P players.

All of those things I think are fairly universal, objective and reasonable feedback for SWTOR's PVP system. Honestly if you got rid of all of them, the game would simply be more entertaining to PVP in.

Two things.

1) A game I played for many years maxed levels at 51. Old habit, meant to say 50.

2) Your idea of a week is my idea of 2 weeks. It's a long time and its clearly a grind because it takes 4-5 times as long as PVE leveling. I don't play the game 8-10 hours a day, I have a job. And I know exactly how long it takes, because I have 8 level 50's that I'll have to regear once the patch hits :(. I've been through this 7 times.

Even if you max tokens, you can't get a full set of war hero, much less elite war hero, instantly.

So, yes, there's a gear gap. You can reduce it by grinding, but it's still there and it's a pointless sort of thing that makes no sense anyway.

1) Gear gaps are bad for competition.

2) This game has way too much CC.

3) The TTK is far too short in this game.

4) Premades vs pug matchmaking is broken.

i will agree with you on points 2 and 3, and partially on point 1.

gear gaps are bad, yes. this game has a tiny gear gap, especially when you compare it to what the gear gap was previously here. also, you have to keep in mind that the mere existence of a gear gap is what keeps a lot of people playing

and all of this gear gap talk will be EVEN MORE irrelevant when 2.0 comes out. the new Bolster is going to put everyone on exactly the same level. even if they are pvping naked.

Edited by cashogy_reborn

Ridiculous amount of time? If you plan correctly you can be in full WH the day you hit 50.

I pvp to 50. That is the end of it. There is no reason to pvp post 50. 10 to 50 is fun...it's about skill. Post 50 pvp is gear versus gear. Maybe bolster will save it. :D

10 to 50 is about skill are you having a laugh?? lol There is no skill in burning down a level 10 who has barely any abilities. Bolster shouldn't be in level 55. Why gear up when running naked at 55 gives you 2k expertise and 2k willpower and endurance with only the main and offhand equipped.

I reached 50 today with very few warzone commendations saved. I have 3 pieces of war hero already and will have a 4th before I go to bed and I've lost every pvp game I've played since I hit 50... so still getting gear just not having much fun getting there.

I reached 50 today with very few warzone commendations saved. I have 3 pieces of war hero already and will have a 4th before I go to bed and I've lost every pvp game I've played since I hit 50... so still getting gear just not having much fun getting there.

problem of losing is not your gear most likely you are beeing teamed with bad players and or against premades.

problem of losing is not your gear most likely you are beeing teamed with bad players and or against premades.

Yes this is true. Every game I've lost has been against a 4 man premade of well geared players while most on our side are recruit geared.

However, I just won one game. No premade on the other side, one very well geared dps scoundrel on our side. So I followed him around and healed him were possible. Result was a very close win.

1) Gear gaps are bad for competition. (This is an MMO. That's how they all are. You need to grind the gear. A part of an MMO is the ability to grind and customize your toon's stats the way you prefer. You do not like it? MOBA and FPSs are out there. This will not work in an MMO )

I do not think it takes too long to gear for pvp, I may have more time to play than some. I do think the difference between recruit and elite war hero is too great and adds to frustration from newer players. Anyone who tells you it is fine is enjoying stomping fresh 50's because they are continuing the cycle of abuse they suffered as fresh 50's themselves or as children. At least the beatings do not last long if you stick with it, but overall if just contibutes to overall frustration from eveyone, veterens on teams with fresh 50's as well...especially when they have become so discouraged by their inability to do anything useful they quit trying and cause losses.

2) This game has way too much CC (I totally agree).

The game meme stunwars was not drawn from a hat...completely true.

3) The TTK is far too short in this game. Is it? In 10-49 WZs maybe. In level 50 WZs, no. You need 8-12 GCDs to kill most enemies without healing. if you factor in enemies' retaliation and enemy healers, the avg. life for dps and tank is between 60-90 secs. The avg. life for a healer is 120-180 secs. I killed someone in 4 GCDs before. Is that the standard. No.

The TTK seems pretty low to me...this is particurelarly true when you get a crappy door draw and spend what seems like AGES waiting to get back in the fight...then are immidiately cc'd and killed in seconds to face the tyrany of the door again. Not fun...I'd rather spend more time alive playing and have the doors take the same amount of time, that seems like more fun.

4) Premades vs pug matchmaking is broken. I agree and I think this is one of the major draw backs of the game. The solution is to create a PvP rating for regular WZs and match players based on the rating. With the current population on servers its not doable. The games needs cross server ques for all PvP activity, but BW is more interested in cartel market than trying to improve the game quality (and God knows, maybe even get new subscribers or returned subscribers instead of trying to milk existing subscribers and F2P players.

Completely agree. PVP is about competition and if you have no gear / composition check...you are going to get a lousy team alot of times. No one would think having the groupfinder blind match 8 players regardless of role or relative gear straight into pve content as being acceptable...why does pvp do this?

I agree these things are pretty universally spoken of at least with some regularity by sane people...I would love to see a developer in charge of pvp come on and give us a state of the PVP game type post where they explain their vision of how the game stands today and where they see it going in the future.

and all of this gear gap talk will be EVEN MORE irrelevant when 2.0 comes out. the new Bolster is going to put everyone on exactly the same level. even if they are pvping naked.

I thought it moves you up to recruit gear level?

I thought it moves you up to recruit gear level?

if you remove all of your gear expect mainhand/offhand, you will be bolstered up to stats greater than EWH gear. at least this was how it was on PTS, and it was not changed.

so if you want to have good gear in WZs, dont wear gear.

if you remove all of your gear expect mainhand/offhand, you will be bolstered up to stats greater than EWH gear. at least this was how it was on PTS, and it was not changed.

so if you want to have good gear in WZs, dont wear gear.

I really hope they change that. How hard can it be to just check and see if you are in at least the standard non-ranked PvP gear and if not, you're stats are just hard set at what that would be, minus say 5% (arbitrary number is arbitrary) as to still have reason to work toward that gear.