Disappointed about so-called "New In Game Barber-Shop"

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changing hair style/colour should not cost cartel coins. I can't remember being charged real money for that elsewhere and there's no good reason Bioware should spearhead charging for such a minor cosmetic change. Hell there are games that let you change much, much more using in-game money; CO/CoV/SWG/STO etc. Bigger changes like body type and even species (shouldn't be possible imo, but that's just me) I can understand, but I don't neccessarily approve of that either depending on the price.

I suspect the reason for the blanket CC fee on all the character customization is simple though; it just plops you into character creation screen where you can change any and everything. Which is incredibly lazy and poor design. Maybe they're unable to do it any other way. Maybe they can't make separate "creation screens" just for barber functionality. I'd like to hope that isn't the case, that the game is more versatile than that but it seems it might not be...

id be more concerned if Cathar were only on the CM. Subs should get the new races for subbing

Eh. Well. They've allready confirmed to be a Cartel Market race apparently... I'd say races should be paid for and in most games they usually are seeing as they're commonly in expansions. If they're added with RotHC then they should be included for anyone who buys it imo. If they're added later then a fee of say 500 cartel coins would be appropriate.

Edited by Pscyon

Species change is a bit surprising because there is dialogue tied to specific species.

Dialogue but not story arc. The dialog engine looks for the value in the species field and plays the appropriate sound file. Not a big deal.

The reason species change is surprising is that it must be technically challenging to re-map the customization options between species that have different settings... example going human to rat, you lose hair style and color settings and gain (I think?) tattoos and jewelry.

A bit early to QQ about the barbershop.

A great deal will depend on the setup, pricing etc. etc. It is not a surprise that it will cost something. I'm shocked that people are shocked by this, tbh. But, this is a good opportunity to show subs some love in the form of discounts and or freebies.

So... mine is a wait and see approach. But in general, I'm happy to see the Barbershop has made its way from a "maybe" to a reality.

Dialogue but not story arc. The dialog engine looks for the value in the species field and plays the appropriate sound file. Not a big deal.

The reason species change is surprising is that it must be technically challenging to re-map the customization options between species that have different settings... example going human to rat, you lose hair style and color settings and gain (I think?) tattoos and jewelry.

My guess is that the species change will basically reset all appearance so you can start over and customize completely. Like you said, a lot of stuff doesn't really translate across species. And I can certainly undestand them charging for this. For everything else though it should be in-game credits.

Edited by MillionsKNives

Fact: Subscribers get a monthly grant of Cartel Coins. To use the "Barbershop feature" does NOT require a subscriber to pay extra.

That argument is fallacious.

I like the ability to change species. I support this. i look FORWARD to this.

Lastly, if it being on the Cartel Market is what is required for us to finally get this "feature"... I'm OK with that as it's a better option than we presently have: IE nothing at all.

All subscribers get their CC grant each month. Depending on pricing, having it on the CM might not be a big deal.

However, there is really big issue with the way the game is heading. It seems everything is coming out and you need to pay extra, even if you subscribe. This will get old soon, and will frustrate a lot of people. I'm not there yet , but I could see myself crossing over fairly quickly. This is a huge issue that I think BW needs to address or else they let the vocal minority free reign to make up all kinds of crazy stuff about which way this game is heading.

All subscribers get their CC grant each month. Depending on pricing, having it on the CM might not be a big deal.

However, there is really big issue with the way the game is heading. It seems everything is coming out and you need to pay extra, even if you subscribe. This will get old soon, and will frustrate a lot of people. I'm not there yet , but I could see myself crossing over fairly quickly. This is a huge issue that I think BW needs to address or else they let the vocal minority free reign to make up all kinds of crazy stuff about which way this game is heading.

The thing is, i havent put money on the game except my sub since the cartel market was implemented, i can get everything off the GTN with a bit of patience.

I wouldnt mind them adding a loyalty program to people who have been subbed for a year or something like Rift did http://images.mmorpg.com/images/newsImages/392011//Rift-VetRewards.jpg

Edited by ElitehunterDS

Wow.

So far we have one single sentence annoucement as part of the "state of the game" adress, nothing more.

Yet some people are already "disappointed" and have a multiple pages thread about it in the forums... just wow.

Also, I think it is strange that people making these kind of posts coveniently seem to "forget" that since subscribers do get cartel coins ervery month, they are not "forced" to spent more real money, anyway.

So how abuot we wait for the actual price of these services before bemoaning our "dissapointment"?

For those saying "Subs get coins!"

Its a basic option a lot of subs have been wanting since day 1, just like things like dual spec

It doesnt take a whole lot of coding to make something like this work, its a matter of a few strings of code that need changing that have a minor effect on the actual game. Species different story but hair etc, no way

I gotta love how SOME players always Say " well players are getting monthly Cartel coins", Sure BUT they say the same for everything like the Cartel packs, Cartel Items and the new Cartel Rep(which is only earned through CM)

ITS JUST FREAKING 500 CC A MONTH!!!!!!

sure you have a big pocket with a lot of money but MANY OTHERS DONT!

Edited by saremun

It shows a willingness to wipe the slate clean or ignore previous events related to a character's story. That seems to me to indicate that they'd be willing to look at faction switches(though they'd simply wipe the previous story rather than tie it in), which is something they thought of as unfeasible before(due to their insistence on continuity).

*EDIT

You guys might be getting into a furor over nothing. Its very likely that coupons or something will be sellable on the GTN to use these services, and I'd be surprised if the CC cost is more than a jawagram. Loosely translating CC price to credits, that's perhaps 20k credits.

Edited by Vandicus