Erked.

Levity

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, greed?

Correction: EA greed.

Remember, they were expecting WoW numbers. We're still not there yet.

:cool:

It wouldn't be his greed, specifically. But my point is that SWTOR isn't a huge part of EA's profits, and it's a licensed property at that.

What actually makes sense is that EA's poor stock performance moved their shareholders to request some action be taken.

And you find this reasonable ? I have been playing the game since pre release and i pretty sure i havent made more than 50 million overall. Also are you really saying htat you wouldnt mind if ppl could get gear up faster just by paying some extra money ? really ?

Oh, I personally don't care WHAT it takes to get that rep. The rep is designed for people who pay IRL cash for gambling packs. I don't do that and never will do that; therefore, I don't care one whit about the rep. Nor do I understand why anyone who doesn't intend to buy gambling packs gives two sh...akes of a lamb's tail about how it's obtained.

As to the end of your post, my point is not that. My point is that since EA (brilliantly) made all cash shop items postable to GTN, there are a plethora of "white knights" who will defend to the death that no cash shop item could ever be p2w, because it can be obtained (though not created) without spending a dime of IRL money.

Am I OK with that? Irrelevant. That's the way it is.

Edited by DarthTHC

It wouldn't be his greed, specifically. But my point is that SWTOR isn't a huge part of EA's profits, and it's a licensed property at that.

What actually makes sense is that EA's poor stock performance moved their shareholders to request some action be taken.

Exactly, whomever thinks that SWTOR is EA's almighty cash cow is sipping on grandpa's cough meds!! :D

Bill Lumbergh: So, John, what's happening? Aahh, now, are you going to go ahead and have those TPS reports for us this afternoon?

John Riccitiello: No.

Bill Lumbergh: Ah. Yeah. So I guess we should probably go ahead and have a little talk. Hmm?

John Riccitiello: Not right now, Lumbergh, I'm kinda busy. In fact, look, I'm gonna have to ask you to just go ahead and come back another time. I got a meeting with the Bobs in a couple of minutes.

Bill Lumbergh: I wasn't aware of a meeting with them.

John Riccitiello: Yeah, they called me at home.

OH NOEZ!! :D:eek::D:eek::D

Edited by Wodaz

Cash fluff shop was a success.

Weekend Boosts to get a whole bunch of new 50s in the game.

Take an educated guess on what's coming around to give some company to 2.0 and makeb? :D

The most crappiest looking armors in all of MMO history? :confused:

There have been a lot of posts that the current Rep Grind that has been announced is not P2W. The fact of the matter is that since the introduction of the Cartel Market we have entered the P2W era. Not true you say. As long as I can buy something with rl money and convert it to in game credits I can purchase the best gear in game from my rl $$. Let’s take the following example. I want a great headpiece.

Lets spend $80 and buy 11,000 Cartel Coins and buy a Hypercrate worth of the Enforce’s Contaband Pack. This will get me 24 Packs and still have 3656 in Cartel Coins left over. The packs are currently selling for $340,000 on the Shadowlands. IF I sell 5 of these over the next couple of days this will net me a cool $1,700,000 and I still have 19 packs remaining.

So lets go to the GTN and see what stuff is currently selling for .

Advanced Resolve Armouring 27 - 625,000 credits

Advanced Aptitude Mod 27 - 444,000 credits

Advanced Adept Enh - 440,000 credits

Advanced Resolve Augment 22 - 40,000 credits

For a Grand Total of 1,549,000 credits

And I even have 151,000 credits left to go buy some other fluff pets or fancy outfits. And don’t forget I still have 19 packs remaining to sell. If this isn’t P2W I don’t know what is. :eek:

The problem that I, and it would appear many others have, is that with the introduction of the Gree Event the Developers have added a new gameplay system. From the Developer Blogs – 02.12.2013

“Reputation System

This update also includes the introduction of a major new gameplay system: “Reputation”. All players will have a Reputation with several organizations throughout the universe. Completing missions for members of these organizations will allow players to advance their Reputation. Crossing certain Reputation thresholds will grant the player access to new titles and gear found on Reputation vendors. You know those really cool items I mentioned from the Gree event? Increasing your Reputation with the Gree is the primary way to earn them.

Our Reputation System has one interesting innovation in particular, which is that Reputation is Legacy bound – advancing your Reputation on one character will increase that Reputation with all of your characters on the same server. Players should feel no need to grind up their Reputation on their alts as all of them can enjoy the benefits earned from the Reputation System. The Old Republic team considers the Legacy system a cornerstone of our design philosophy, and we felt that offering this to the players was a very natural fit.

The Old Republic design team sees this as a system with a great deal of potential that will grow over time - We can also use the framework of the Reputation System to create a lot of alternate gameplay and encourage replayability. Stay tuned for more updates to the Reputation System in the future!

With the introduction of the current Reputation the main way of gaining this reputation is by using rl money and buying the Packs of the Cartel Market. And what else did they say – from Blog 03.13.2013

‘What is the Cartel Market Reputation System?

We’ve added the Cartel Market Reputation System as a way of rewarding players who purchase multiple packs within a Shipment. Each Shipment will have its own Reputation track.

What is a Shipment?

A Shipment is a set of packs that share a thematic name (for example, Cartel Packs or Contraband Packs). Each Shipment will be available in the Cartel Market for a limited time. At some point, all packs within a shipment will be embargoed.”

So what I read from this is that you have only a few weeks to gain your reputation as each new Shipment will have its own Reputation Track. And they we start the rl $$ sink yet again to buy the new packs to gain the new Reputaion that you WILL NOT be able to advance with in game credits or buying a pack a month with the monthly alotment of Cartel Coins. The only way you will be able to advance this GAMPLAY feature is by spending rl $$.

I personally have no problems with the Cartel Market. I have no problems with the fact that people can P2W by buying the packs -> selling them on the GTN for in game credits -> buy the best gear in the game. (Although I’m glad that you won’t be able to do this in 2.0)

But I am appalled that they are adding this feature to a party of the GAMEPLAY.

REMOVE this from the gameplay reputation and stick this feature in the Cartel Market area.

So what I read from this is.

we start the rl $$ sink yet again to buy the new packs to gain the new Reputaion that you WILL NOT be able to advance with in game credits.

See, that's the problem, you read that, but that's single sided view with a dash of conspiracy theory thrown in for good measure.

The quote below is what it is, stop trying to make it something it isn't.

We’ve added the Cartel Market Reputation System as a way of rewarding players who purchase multiple packs from the Cartel Market.

This is not directed at you, or any person in particular.

I'm sorry, but if you're only buying packs for rep, you're an idiot.

Oh, I personally don't care WHAT it takes to get that rep. The rep is designed for people who pay IRL cash for gambling packs. I don't do that and never will do that; therefore, I don't care one whit about the rep. Nor do I understand why anyone who doesn't intend to buy gambling packs gives two sh...akes of a lamb's tail about how it's obtained.

As to the end of your post, my point is not that. My point is that since EA (brilliantly) made all cash shop items postable to GTN, there are a plethora of "white knights" who will defend to the death that no cash shop item could ever be p2w, because it can be obtained (though not created) without spending a dime of IRL money.

Am I OK with that? Irrelevant. That's the way it is.

If you are ok with pay2win just say so then =)

There have been a lot of posts that the current Rep Grind that has been announced is not P2W. The fact of the matter is that since the introduction of the Cartel Market we have entered the P2W era. Not true you say. As long as I can buy something with rl money and convert it to in game credits I can purchase the best gear in game from my rl $$.

SNIP

This is, through that roundabout way, true. You can sell Cartel Store stuff and get credits for it, with those credits, you can buy endgame gear at this time. Still, the easiest way to make credits is do dailies, but you do have a point there. If that is P2W is debateable, considering you are paying for credits (indirectly), not for a direct power boost. The ones that are 'winning' even more are the endgame mod crafters here really.

But, this being a possible way to get endgame gear through the Cartel Store purchases is exactly why the possibility to craft endgame mods is removed from endgame in RotHC. You need to perform endgame to get endgame gear once the expansion is out, not just grind credits to get it.

So, that problem is actually being resolved and, more than the conspiracy theories the rest of your post is full of, prooves that Bioware actually wants to avoid any possible endgame advantage you can get from the Cartel Store.

Also, Shipments do not take 'a few weeks', the last shipment was the first shipment as well. So it went from F2P launch (October 23rd) to last week (February 12th). That is 4,5 months, or 21 weeks. That is well over 1/3rd of a year. So yes, you won't be able to spend years getting this Reputation to Legend (though they did mention something about Shipments themselves possibly rotating back), but you do have more than 'a few weeks' to do this.

Edited by Devlonir

All i can say is I TOLD YOU SO!!

All my pre-F2P predictions about how EA would make subscribers pay for content seem to be starting to come true one by one.

Mark my words - EA will nickle and dime this game into the ground.:(

I lost what little respect i had left for this game.. Paying real money to spike your reputation?..lol Even better player can rip each other off even more on GTN. Makes me even more glad i unsubbed. EA/bioware needs to change there way of thinking. One thing is for sure, i am not coming back to this game..Unless they change it.. Not one red cent is going to in this game

This is, through that roundabout way, true. You can sell Cartel Store stuff and get credits for it, with those credits, you can buy endgame gear at this time. Still, the easiest way to make credits is do dailies, but you do have a point there. If that is P2W is debateable, considering you are paying for credits (indirectly), not for a direct power boost. The ones that are 'winning' even more are the endgame mod crafters here really.

But, this being a possible way to get endgame gear through the Cartel Store purchases is exactly why the possibility to craft endgame mods is removed from endgame in RotHC. You need to perform endgame to get endgame gear once the expansion is out, not just grind credits to get it.

So, that problem is actually being resolved and, more than the conspiracy theories the rest of your post is full of, prooves that Bioware actually wants to avoid any possible endgame advantage you can get from the Cartel Store.

Also, Shipments do not take 'a few weeks', the last shipment was the first shipment as well. So it went from F2P launch (October 23rd) to last week (February 12th). That is 4,5 months, or 21 weeks. That is well over 1/3rd of a year. So yes, you won't be able to spend years getting this Reputation to Legend (though they did mention something about Shipments themselves possibly rotating back), but you do have more than 'a few weeks' to do this.

It's true that bioware wants to avoid pay2win situations, although it failed at that so far. However at the end of the day EA dictates what bioware does. If EA sees profit in the P2Win system it will happen. Only chance bioware has is to show that the majority of the user base doesnt like such a system and will leave the game, that is , IF EA still wants to make SWTOR a long time investment, otherwise they will just stick a P2Win system , like any other f2p game by EA.

I've been reading this whole thread for sometime now... And I'm as lost as I can be! :rak_03: Everyone has an opinion!

Reason is ,for me P2W means I buy something at that instant to gain an advantage. Not this whole buy and then selling and buying again. That was just posted above me.

Although I understand the posters point, to me it just isnt P2W (IMO). (In fact it reminds me of eve) (maybe you'll get my sig)

I think if someone doesn't like the idea of the way rep is implemented, it's your right to complain about it and hope to change it, remove it or quit playing. For me I may or may not use it, so far I bought; I think 5 packs when they first came out. And paid for some Coins I think once! I got some stuff I wanted and was like eff the rest :cool:

Some people will buy packs for rep and get cool items, good for them.

I guess what I'm saying is: I don't give a _______ !!! :cool: And still sub.

If a lot of people are hot about it, it just might go away; especially if people out right refuse to do it. If it gets into the game. :rak_03:

Nah, only about 80 million depending I guess on how much people are charging on GTN for the packs.

Besides, the fact that it could be on GTN means there's a way to get it ingame, without spending a dime of IRL money. Therefore, not p2w.

Omg...Really?? So those cartel market items appear magically on the cartel market by themself?? Or is it that someone is spending REAL LIFE MONEY to put it on the gtn??

Omg...Really?? So those cartel market items appear magically on the cartel market by themself?? Or is it that someone is spending REAL LIFE MONEY to put it on the gtn??

And I still cannot understand how SOMEONE ELSE spending money to offer you something through ingame means is a bad thing. Really, what is so bad about others spending actual money on stuff you can spend credits on? Try and explain that to me.. please? What are those people doing to you that is so horrible it is worth complaining on a public forum?

Or is it really just envy for those with more money than you? Because that's what it seems to be to anyone with some sense and understanding of how the world works.

Edited by Devlonir

After recoverning from my initial shock over this move with the CM ~ I'm pretty much "meh" about this now.

What really changed my opinion about it, and why I don't really care anymore is this....

Almost half of the items are unlocked upon achieving newcomer status. So anyone who buys one hypercrate worth of packs has access to that. That includes 2 of the 3 unique gear sets that the vender has. The 3rd gear set itself is pretty bland.

If you get lucky with the RNG - you might only need 10 packs. So....we're really talking about 4 ~ 9 million of in game credits.

All the other stuff unlocks at higher levels & only 3 of the items are for legendary. (1 of which has been bought and sold on the GTN for months)

Those 3 items are pretty sweet, I have to be honest. But if somebody burns $800 buying cartel packs ~ they need to get access to a special hat and speeder......just for being a legendary.....something. Personally I'd be too ashamed that I'd spent that much in the CM to use them.....

And I still cannot understand how SOMEONE ELSE spending money to offer you something through ingame means is a bad thing. Really, what is so bad about others spending actual money on stuff you can spend credits on? Try and explain that to me.. please? What are those people doing to you that is so horrible it is worth complaining on a public forum?

Or is it really just envy for those with more money than you? Because that's what it seems to be to anyone with some sense and understanding of how the world works.

The problem with it is that these goods are not earned through game play. Even if they're purchased with credits, which are earned through game play, they're not earned through what some gamers consider to be "appropriate" game play.

Some gamers think that raid-tier PvE gear should be obtainable only via raiding. If someone can buy it from the cash shop then put it on the GTN, well, you have a lot of people who play the GTN who can get that... but they didn't have to raid to get it.

Some gamers view PvP gear similarly. If someone can buy it from the cash shop then put it on the GTN, again, players who game the GTN can get it without ever switching their PvP flag on. Really, without learning how to PvP.

It's about the "integrity" of the game. If the cash shop creates items that are as good as or better than the gear that can be obtained by playing the game (not just playing the GTN for credits), the integrity of the game is destroyed. The "rules" go out the window.

Has that happened already? To a degree, yes. But apparently not to such a degree that the community is incensed over it. And I'm not talking about this stupid reputation thing - that gives zero ingame advantage. It's irrelevant.

The problem with it is that these goods are not earned through game play. Even if they're purchased with credits, which are earned through game play, they're not earned through what some gamers consider to be "appropriate" game play.

Some gamers think that raid-tier PvE gear should be obtainable only via raiding. If someone can buy it from the cash shop then put it on the GTN, well, you have a lot of people who play the GTN who can get that... but they didn't have to raid to get it.

Some gamers view PvP gear similarly. If someone can buy it from the cash shop then put it on the GTN, again, players who game the GTN can get it without ever switching their PvP flag on. Really, without learning how to PvP.

It's about the "integrity" of the game. If the cash shop creates items that are as good as or better than the gear that can be obtained by playing the game (not just playing the GTN for credits), the integrity of the game is destroyed. The "rules" go out the window.

Has that happened already? To a degree, yes. But apparently not to such a degree that the community is incensed over it. And I'm not talking about this stupid reputation thing - that gives zero ingame advantage. It's irrelevant.

Again with the speculation. I'm reading a lot of "ifs" in this post, as with many others. PVP gear and PVE Raid gear is not available through the CM. Carrying on about things that haven't happened yet is useless and it's sad that people just make these assumptions based on nothing.

As I've stated many times, if P2W actually hits the CM, I will definitely have a problem with it and voice my concern loudly. However, I can't see the benefit of punishing people for things that have not happened and have not been announced to happen.

Again with the speculation. I'm reading a lot of "ifs" in this post, as with many others. PVP gear and PVE Raid gear is not available through the CM. Carrying on about things that haven't happened yet is useless and it's sad that people just make these assumptions based on nothing.

As I've stated many times, if P2W actually hits the CM, I will definitely have a problem with it and voice my concern loudly. However, I can't see the benefit of punishing people for things that have not happened and have not been announced to happen.

One piece of PvE tier raid gear is available via CM. The fact that people don't seem to care about it does not make it any less PvE raid tier.

Edited by DarthTHC

I agree with ya , if someone wants to trade real money for monopoly money, more power to the fools. Their money, their free to do with it as they wish.

How does the Envy aspect work though ? Since it doesn't matter how much real money anyone has , as all can be bought with monopoly money, and monolpoly money is easily accrued and completly worthless and etheral, how does one envy worthless and fake unless one is completly delusional ?

I agree with ya , if someone wants to trade real money for monopoly money, more power to the fools. Their money, their free to do with it as they wish.

How does the Envy aspect work though ? Since it doesn't matter how much real money anyone has , as all can be bought with monopoly money, and monolpoly money is easily accrued and completly worthless and etheral, how does one envy worthless and fake unless one is completly delusional ?

Game items are not "fake and worthless." Just because something is digital does not mean that it does not exist or holds no value. It is still "stuff" that can be experienced and seen. People, being people, will always be envious of other people having "stuff" that they do not have. It's just how many of us are made.