Official launch in Australia/New Zealand

StephenReid

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be there in a heartbeat, and will finally level an Operative.

Latency was one of the only contributing factors dissuading me from playing a melee character. Yeah.. I played a Rogue in Pvp with a ~300 ping, you must be behind the target, your target is out of range (when Im standing right on top of them) etc.

What exactly did u fix? All i see is your opinion........

A local server is not an incentive to switch unless you PvP.

And besides that, unless the oceanic community decides to move, it will cause a rift, and factual history has shown that the community as a whole will decide to stay to avoid that.

Of course individuals will decide on their own, but the TOR oceanic community as a whole will most likely not move even if they open up servers.

Edited by Kashaan

I suspected EA/Bioware wanted local AU servers for SWTOR from the outset.

Because they weren't able to organise these in time for the official world-wide release, the AU release was delayed to early 2012.

All things considered; I'm very happy that EA/Bioware desire local AU servers. Very few game publishers in the MMO genre consider the Oceanic region worthy of local server investment. By creating local servers here, SWTOR will capture a LARGE portion of the Oceanic MMO community - from games such as WoW, LotRO, Rift etc.

Local servers prove that game makers are taking our gaming region and community seriously.

Thankyou EA/Bioware.

Just use a speed test website. Or look at a world map. All about distance.

I tried ozspeedtest.com but it only gives me the download speed. I'm more concerned about latency. How do I get latency numbers in ~ms?

And geographical location is not accurate. I get very good speed and latency to U.S. games and websites, which is halfway on the other side of the world, but terrible connection to China, which is much nearer for example.

I tried ozspeedtest.com but it only gives me the download speed. I'm more concerned about latency. How do I get latency numbers in ~ms?

And geographical location is not accurate. I get very good speed and latency to U.S. games and websites, which is halfway on the other side of the world, but terrible connection to China, which is much nearer for example.

It also depends on the route it tkaes and how many jumps as well

http://pingtest.net/

Edited by Catchmeifucan

And besides that, unless the oceanic community decides to move, it will cause a rift, and factual history has shown that the community as a whole will decide to stay to avoid that.

Of course individuals will decide on their own, but the TOR oceanic community as a whole will most likely not move even if they open up servers.

Whilst PVE is playable with higher latency you will never get as much from your toon as those based closer to the servers. There is a reason very few Aussie/NZ players ever manage to hit top dps for bosses in WOW and it has nothing to do with player skill. Considering this is the only AAA MMO that will have Oceanic servers I feel it will get a large chunk of the Oceanic MMO community playing.

There needs to be incentive for established guilds to move from US servers though of the Oceanic ones might not be as populated as would otherwise be expected.

As a Aussie who already has his copy... (arrived a Day before the Launch in the US :p)

YAY lower pings...

but in truth...

my pings have been between 120-160ms...

which aint to bad...

but i hope i can transfer my level 24 Jedi Knight...

Not sure how you get such low pings. Mine is on average 220-250ms.

Great news on the Aussie servers. I will only move however if it's free server transfers. I shouldn't be 'punished' for importing early. Until it's announced what the plan is, it's all guess work.

For the rude Americans commenting. For the most part Australians did not choose the servers. Like you, their guilds were also placed on those servers. Some of the smaller guilds changed from their servers to join where the majority was.

Unlike those living in the US, it does matter what server we roll on. I like to play where many others like me are in the same timezone for grouping etc. I wouldn't expect people in the US to be rolling on EU servers because the people in the EU countries are playing at different times to you.

But that will all be fixed soon. So enjoy your half empty servers when people move off the server and don't complain when you can't get a group.

I don't see where this lower ping idea is coming from. These servers won't be geographically local, just named Oceanic. Same pings, different name, no incentive to move away from established guilds and players. Edited by sylper

You made me loose hope im afraid. Since the release was for the mayor "vocal mayority" and they are getting local servers im more than positive that we ( latin america ) wont get one in MANY years to come... why? cuz even origin does not properly support us ( the store redirects to EU ) execpt for mexico and brazil and i will get better ping from US east that from mexico.

so.. ill continue to play in the us servers sadden by the fact that my friends will have to struggle to get the game and play with me.

are you bloody serious?..

your in frikken MEXICO!!! next door neighbor to the USA!!!!!!.

We are over 10,000 km's away!.. you want the game, order it from amazon or somewhere like the rest of us did.

your own servers?. you have GOT to be joking.. with even a half decent internet you should be sitting high 100-low 200 to both US East/West.

I don't see where this lower ping idea is coming from. These servers won't be geographically local, just named Oceanic. Same pings, different name, no incentive to move away from established guilds and players.

Go back and read page 5 of this thread. Look for the yellow post:

We are planning on actual servers located in the area. The final location is being locked down, but when we say 'local' we don't mean 'in the US but with a label'.

I 100% disagree with everything you just said. Like i said your opinion.

Just one example where this is wrong is the LK fight. Because lag and defile don't mix. Yes you can PVE with lag, the fights are scripted so you know what to expect. Go do H mode and tell me top PVE guilds don't suffer when someone has lag. Cause one player with lag in H mode, can cause the whole group to fail.

Edited by Bladedakoda

Thankyou for even allowing us to play the game

it would be awesome for us importers to play on one local server for now so we dont piss off the americans with our lag cause we as a community are getting some requests to piss off and join empty servers

other than that thankyou for allowing us to expierience the game if we imported

or shippped or bought online i can only look forward to a great outcome

Signed DarthPunkar/Darth vada

Whilst PVE is playable with higher latency you will never get as much from your toon as those based closer to the servers. There is a reason very few Aussie/NZ players ever manage to hit top dps for bosses in WOW and it has nothing to do with player skill. Considering this is the only AAA MMO that will have Oceanic servers I feel it will get a large chunk of the Oceanic MMO community playing.

0.1-0.2 seconds is not enough to cause a significant discrepancy in DPS, especially considering the 1.5 second GCD. There are plenty of Aussie players that top DPS in many MMOs.

There needs to be incentive for established guilds to move from US servers though of the Oceanic ones might not be as populated as would otherwise be expected.

This is exactly my point. There needs to be incentive for the major oceanic guilds to switch off from Harbinger if they open up new Oceanic servers. When it happens, those servers will be empty, and no established guild will want to switch without heavy incentive.

Edited by Kashaan