So, what exactly is a DPS sorc supposed to do?

Cretinus

Only against people in PvE gear. I have never been hit by a 5K force in balance and I played minimum 1000 games among three toons, even on my sorceress.

I have hit full warhero gear with 5k force in balance. Again just cause you haven't or you never been hit by one doesn't mean it don't happen. I have hit pve gear people for over 6k with FiB. A Sorc who runs Lightning tree named Psychospider has hit people for 7k with Turbulence on my server. Yes It is easier for other classes to hit for 5K but it doesn't mean we cant dps.

Jenna'syyde

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I crit 5k with force in balance all the time when run 7-3-31 Balance. I also will crit 5k with it using what I run now 3-5-33. Just not as often.. Here is my Sage with STATS

Jenna'syyde

I don't see 1396 exp you're doing it wrong

On topic sorcs are fine just don't be like 96% of sorc who face tank melee classes.

Edited by JDotter

I don't see 1396 exp you're doing it wrong

On topic sorcs are fine just don't be like 96% of sorc who face tank melee classes.

Sorcs are fine until they come under focus fire, then're genreally dead unless they have a pocket tank/healer.

Sure, you're going to respond that every class goes down under focus fire, but sorcs go down under less focus fire and put our less damage than other dps classes do before they die;; sorcs are also more prone to be focus fired because it is incredibly easy to lock a sorc down and burn them. If I am dpsing on my sage/sorc and the enemy team decides to kill me I do not have the defensive cooldowns to keep myself up long enough to contribute to my team, if I am on my guardian dpsing I can generally prolong my death by using the various CC abilities and defensive cool-downs that the class has access to (instant aoe mezz, force leap, push, guardian leap out, force stasis); I can also put out much more damage on my guardian before I go down, making it very dangerous for the enemy team to attack me.

Anyone who puts out good damage on a sorc will do 100 time better on a sniper/warrior/knight/pt because these classes bring BURST dps to the table, alongside proper defensive cool-downs.

As far as losing one on one's.... well, we're actually decent at one on one's where we can actually kite/los and afford to draw the battle out - maybe they should give us a cooldown that summons a pillar for us to kite around :)

Edited by alexsamma

Sorcs are fine until they come under focus fire, then're genreally dead unless they have a pocket tank/healer.

Sure, you're going to respond that every class goes down under focus fire, but sorcs go down under less focus fire and put our less damage than other dps classes do before they die;; sorcs are also more prone to be focus fired because it is incredibly easy to lock a sorc down and burn them. If I am dpsing on my sage/sorc and the enemy team decides to kill me I do not have the defensive cooldowns to keep myself up long enough to contribute to my team, if I am on my guardian dpsing I can generally prolong my death by using the various CC abilities and defensive cool-downs that the class has access to (instant aoe mezz, force leap, push, guardian leap out, force stasis); I can also put out much more damage on my guardian before I go down, making it very dangerous for the enemy team to attack me.

Anyone who puts out good damage on a sorc will do 100 time better on a sniper/warrior/knight/pt because these classes bring BURST dps to the table, alongside proper defensive cool-downs.

As far as losing one on one's.... well, we're actually decent at one on one's where we can actually kite/los and afford to draw the battle out - maybe they should give us a cooldown that summons a pillar for us to kite around :)

Newsflash. All classes die if they are under focus fire from multiple people except for a mara/sent that is playing against morons who don't understand how cloak of pain/rebuke works, and hybrid tanks (because noone plays full tank specs).

Also LOL at you thinking a smash guardian doesn't go down quick. They are probably the easiest class to focus fire down outside of one long cooldown.

Mara/sent? Different story. They also can't taunt (which is huge in rateds).

I think I finally understand what you kids want. You want to have the survival of a sent/marauder, but you want to be able to do all your dmg from ranged (makes total sense) so that you are not subject to the 1000 CC's that a melee dps goes through in any given warzone. You also want to keep the ability to shield other people (a shield is a instant heal since there is no offensive dispel in this game), offheal, CC from range, knock people off of levels and bridges, and respec healing at any time (for free) and be either the number 1 or number 2 healer, depending on patch, while also being viable as pve dps or heals.

Good luck with that! I suggest asking for taunt as well.

Edited by biowareftw

Newsflash. All classes die if they are under focus fire from multiple people except for a mara/sent that is playing against morons who don't understand how cloak of pain/rebuke works, and hybrid tanks (because noone plays full tank specs).

Also LOL at you thinking a smash guardian doesn't go down quick. They are probably the easiest class to focus fire down outside of one long cooldown.

Mara/sent? Different story. They also can't taunt (which is huge in rateds).

I think I finally understand what you kids want. You want to have the survival of a sent/marauder, but you want to be able to do all your dmg from ranged (makes total sense) so that you are not subject to the 1000 CC's that a melee dps goes through in any given warzone. You also want to keep the ability to shield other people (a shield is a instant heal since there is no offensive dispel in this game), offheal, CC from range, knock people off of levels and bridges, and respec healing at any time (for free) and be either the number 1 or number 2 healer, depending on patch, while also being viable as pve dps or heals.

Good luck with that! I suggest asking for taunt as well.

Look at my sig, i have a fifty smash guardian, and the class is easy mode.

I die under focus fire, but even if half of the enemy team jumps on me I can awe them and then guardian leap out... I can also use focused defense/enure/medpack and still pull off at least one sweep before I go down, and that one sweep is going to hit everyone around me to 5-7k (assuming they are geared, otherwise it's going to hit harder)..

I only play my guardian when I want to lol at people, or feel like annoying people in huttball.

And the easiest class to burn down after a sorc is a Pyro PT, but at least they give you hell during the process.

EDIT: BTW, what class do you play?

Edited by alexsamma

Look at my sig, i have a fifty smash guardian, and the class is easy mode.

I die under focus fire, but even if half of the enemy team jumps on me I can awe them and then guardian leap out... I can also use focused defense/enure/medpack and still pull off at least one sweep before I go down, and that one sweep is going to hit everyone around me to 5-7k (assuming they are geared, otherwise it's going to hit harder)..

I only play my guardian when I want to lol at people, or feel like annoying people in huttball.

And the easiest class to burn down after a sorc is a Pyro PT, but at least they give you hell during the process.

EDIT: BTW, what class do you play?

So let me get this straight. You prefer a aoe mes that someone can trinket and they are still right by you, and a channeled CC, over a aoe knockback, a automatic stun when bubble breaks, a ranged mez, ranged stun, a ranged slow and a sprint escape and soon you will basically have ice block in 2.0?

Please post video of you playing your Guardian. Are you even on a pvp realm? Grats you have multiple 50's. It doesn't mean you know how to play them though, or that you know what you are talking about.

Sorc is much harder to burn down then a pyro PT or a jug if you know how to kite/los and save CC's and use them defensively. I can burn through a PT/jug on a sniper/marauder WAY faster then it takes me to kill a GOOD sorc.sage. The bad ones? Well...yeah they die fast. Almost as fast as a bad marauder...

Force leaping out doesn't accomplish jack against ranged and if you are force leaping from a scoundrel/op/sin/shadow they will have a way to get to you in 2.0. You act as if the only classes in this game are melee and sorcs and you act as if other classes aren't changing in 2.0.

If melee wants to kill you, then melee will kill you in 2 GCDs. Might take a few jumps on you, but he will.

But hey: If he doesn't notice you, you can range DPS him to 2/3 HP within 8 casted GCDs!

If pyro gets close to you, then pyro will 1hit you.

But hey: Don't be a baddy! Just kite him! While doing so, you can do .... absolutely nothing. And sooner or later you'll be eating that granade. But hey: you're not alone, are you? You can win every 2X1 against a pyro! If you kite him that is, cause otherwise he will 1hit you.

Assassin comes out of stealth and hits your HP down to 1/3?

Not a problem. You have CCs! He's immune? Well, every class has a hard counter, doesn't it?

And anyway: Together with a healer, you can win every 1X1! Wait, that's 2X1.... oh well. Who cares.

And anyway: If the group protects you, you can even do some decent assists with dmg from behind. Not as good as those 7K Gods, but hey! You're not taking any dmg, as long as you're not taking any dmg, so too much burst would be OP!

And anyway: The game is not balanced for 1X1. Other classes demolish everything 1X1, but hey! Te game is not balanced for 1X1!

And anyway: You have that stupid bubble stun on every1. What? You're DPS and have too much CD on the bubble? Well, respecc heal then!

So stop being a baboon. The game is not balanced for 1X1, or for pugs. Learn 2p and go scientific with min/max/augment/gearing and also with gameplay and once in a while you might get a 4K crit, or even beat a marauder 1X1. At least if you have a healer helping out. What? That's not 1X1? Well, the game isn't balanced around 1X1, is it?

I've been playing a DPS sorc and I'm a pro and I tell you: DPS sorc is fine. L2p.

is it QQ thread or QQ about QQ thread? :D

PS: also if pt oneshots sorc then healer obviously won't help :p

Made my day, would read (and laugh) again.

@OP

Sorc = easy 5k hit medal for any class (except Sorc).

That's what we are and that's what we will be in future (if PTS changes go live as they are).

so do i take you right, that getting 5k hit medal grants an autowin?

So let me get this straight. You prefer a aoe mes that someone can trinket and they are still right by you, and a channeled CC, over a aoe knockback, a automatic stun when bubble breaks, a ranged mez, ranged stun, a ranged slow and a sprint escape and soon you will basically have ice block in 2.0?

You know sorcs aren't 32/32/32 right?

Sorcs are great dps, but if your not using every single utility, then your playing the class wrong. Most sorcs spam force lightning for a majority of the game. Good sorcs use affliction as much as possible and use creeping terror every time it comes of cd. You need to have an eye for AOEs, and if you don't cc, slow, root, and purge, you can be killed easily by a marauder and a powertech. If you do everything right force speed to cover and your good. I'm not the best sorc ever, and it took me a while to understand the class, but unless you really have an idea of what you're doing you can't succeed playing this class. In this game its hard to be great at any class, but to just be good for a sorc is hard compared to being a good marauder or sniper.

+1. The only thing i would change is to replace "good" by "competetive" in the last sentence. I wouldn't say sorc requires high skill - just general reasonability. And without it - yes - sorcs are meat. I'm sure you meant this, but "competetive" is a bit more correct word in my opinion :)

it's not 32/32/32 at all, listed abilities are all correct for any lightning hybrid or full lightning

Yeah but not for a Madness sorc. Or a full heal sorc. So yeah... Not 32/32/32.

Lightning has better survivability but its dps takes too long to cast, has to remain stationary, and is easily interrupted. It's burst is pathetically weak compared to other dps classes. I have four 50's and I do well as madness, but it takes everything I got to just stay alive most games. My other classes are less geared and far easier to do well on. They actually have burst (Vang/Sent/Shadow). In particular the shadow has almost all the cc of the sorc plus massive burst potential. Yeah it's melee, but madness sorcs have to spam FL to get wrath, and FL is like "hey look here I am squishy here!!". Running around with pathetic affliction dots might add up on the score board, but they are all but fluff damage, be realistic.

Sorcs can be good, but they are handicapped in their dps trees compared to other classes. They do bring some minor utility (bubble,cc) but I don't think it outweighs it's weak burst.

Sorcs make good healers.

I die more on my mara/PT than I do my sorc. I'd rather have a sorc stopping/slowing people over classes you stated.

Utility

Shock

instant WW

root knockback

bubble stun.

6 second slow

sprint every 20 seconds.

I think the majority of sorcs who cry

A) don't spec into instant WW,

B) reduced CD on WW/shock.

C) Don't use bubble stun

D) don't stay max range (30 meters)

E) If when jumped on/pulled sprint away/spam force slow every 6 seconds.

F) Don't LOS and pop dark heal. Or use self heal off CD.

G) Attempt to use the class to 1v1.

I don't play RWZ anymore used to play with one of the best teams back in 1.2 and never had issues.

EDIT: WZ from earlier http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=34grj43&s=6

Edited by JDotter

Shock

Why do you list this? It doesn't slow, doesn't root, does bad to mediocre damage (and is pretty force expensive for the damage it deals).

instant WW

Nerfed in 2.0, not instant anymore.

root knockback

Moved high up into the Lightning tree in 2.0, already only get it now with a hybrid spec.

bubble stun.

Nerfed in 2.0 to only be self cast, already only get it now with a hybrid spec.

(This is the only 2.0 "nerf" I'm ok with)

6 second slow

It's not like other classes have perma slows and/or aoe slows while ours is single target and has a CD.

Attempt to use the class to 1v1.

Ok, got me there, made me lol.

Farming pugs works with every class, doesn't mean that every class is balanced.

We're gonna have a good time in 2.0!

Edited by iphobia

Woow, OP must run around in pve L40 greens on L 50 WZ and spam force lightning thinking 'hey why I can't kill people with one finger'...

Like one marauder few days ago, he got 2 comments on 'mate, get some pvp gear after this match' , he did 30k dmg (he wasn't defending) and right before match ended he said 'haters gonna hate' and he left..

:confused:

Like one marauder few days ago, he got 2 comments on 'mate, get some pvp gear after this match' , he did 30k dmg (he wasn't defending) and right before match ended he said 'haters gonna hate' and he left..

:confused:

A successful troll is a good troll :p

Edited by iphobia

I didn't start this topic out of a situational rage mood. I also play a marauder (carnage) and although he gets killed quite often, he kills quite often himself.

I think we found the problem.

Op has a sorc with one button bound (lightning strike) and marauder alt who kills him self in Warzones.

this might be marauder I talked in my previus post. :rolleyes:

I think we found the problem.

Op has a sorc with one button bound (lightning strike) and marauder alt who kills him self in Warzones.

this might be marauder I talked in my previus post. :rolleyes:

The marauder kills his own alt? Try again.

Edited by Cretinus

Sorry meant Electrocute, I'm salty about the Nerf to instant WW in 2.0 as well. However i think its directed at assassins using it as a means to get out of combat and heal up.

As for 2.0 stuff I'm really interested in the new Chain lighting root/slow and the ability to choose LS over CD on wrath proc.

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/sorcerer/236/?build=002000000000000000000000000000000323020202110212000000000000000003022322013100010120000000000000&ver=20

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/sorcerer/236/?build=232000212122120221000000000000000123020202120112000000000000000000020000000000000000000000000000&ver=20

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/sorcerer/236/?build=002000000000000000000000000000000123020202120212023020000000000003021302013100010000000000000000&ver=20

Are the specs im wanting to test once they fix the bolster stuff on pts

EDIT: I could post old 1.2 RWZ SS if you'd like.

Edited by JDotter

Are the specs im wanting to test once they fix the bolster stuff on pts

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/sorcerer/236/?build=000000000000000000000000000000000320022202110212023021020000000003122002013100010000000000000000&ver=20 looks nice too.

Reverberating Force: +50% critical damage on Lightning Strike and Chain Lightning is a lot of damage. Add this to the +30% damage from Wrath and your Lightning Strikes will hit quite hard (Chain Lightning does anyways).