So, what exactly is a DPS sorc supposed to do?

Cretinus

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/sorcerer/236/?build=000000000000000000000000000000000320022202110212023021020000000003122002013100010000000000000000&ver=20 looks nice too.

Reverberating Force: +50% critical damage on Lightning Strike and Chain Lightning is a lot of damage. Add this to the +30% damage from Wrath and your Lightning Strikes will hit quite hard (Chain Lightning does anyways).

I do like that spec, seems like a ton on dps W/recklessness and perhaps investing in a assassin armoring set once they get rid of the BM set in 2.0.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LoL funny post, and sure to elicit a reaction from all the L2P trolls !!

The substance of this post is why I don't pvp past acquiring war hero gear. Squishies can't hold their own, and don't do enough dps or healing to compensate for all the trips to the med center.

People hate losing control of their characters, but yet this game has enough control in it to have made B.F Skinner proud.

Whether you win or lose, getting owned repeatedly in 1v1 makes pvp an unpleasant experience.

So roll a melee you say. Sure, easy enough, just in time to solo queue into the latest wz to get facerolled by a premade.

Making 8 or more trips to the starting area so you can stand and bang your face on that obnoxious clear plastic wall in a space of a 10 min wz is not my idea of fun. Y'all can have it. There are too many other games and too many other choices than to repeat that experience over and over.

And the people who claim it's all about skill must still be fascinated by the over-under intricacies of the two loop shoelace knot because playing a vid game is on par. I imagine these are the same people that never quite got the idea of fractions and what that was all about.

Oh ya, L2P. I said it first. Ha !~

Edited by MotorCityMan
sp

QQ more, sorcs cried to get scoundrel/operative nerfed into a healing only class. Poetic justice.

Dont forget the fact we were nerfed at the exact time you were to a healing only class too, and your healing spec is far superior than ours, at least in PvP.

The most vocal community in crying for concealment nerfs was the melee community (marauder, juggie gang) and its the only community the devs hear anyway (they are melee biased).

Sorc community almost never get what they ask for, actually, if we start to cry and ask for concealment nerfs the odds are that you guys might get a buff.

Dont forget the fact we were nerfed at the exact time you were to a healing only class too, and your healing spec is far superior than ours, at least in PvP.

And our heal-spec was nerfed to the ground (we deserved a bug-fix not a bug-fix, nerfs to our burst and nerfs to our resource management)

So let me get this straight. You prefer a aoe mes that someone can trinket and they are still right by you, and a channeled CC, over a aoe knockback, a automatic stun when bubble breaks, a ranged mez, ranged stun, a ranged slow and a sprint escape and soon you will basically have ice block in 2.0?

Please post video of you playing your Guardian. Are you even on a pvp realm? Grats you have multiple 50's. It doesn't mean you know how to play them though, or that you know what you are talking about.

Sorc is much harder to burn down then a pyro PT or a jug if you know how to kite/los and save CC's and use them defensively. I can burn through a PT/jug on a sniper/marauder WAY faster then it takes me to kill a GOOD sorc.sage. The bad ones? Well...yeah they die fast. Almost as fast as a bad marauder...

Force leaping out doesn't accomplish jack against ranged and if you are force leaping from a scoundrel/op/sin/shadow they will have a way to get to you in 2.0. You act as if the only classes in this game are melee and sorcs and you act as if other classes aren't changing in 2.0.

AHH, your a marauder/sniper, that explains everything.

and yes, I do prefer an INSTANT AOE MEZZ to the almighty 31/31/31 build that you are talking about... lightening/telekinetics is not a pvp spec because sage/sorcs are not turret based classes and we should not HAVE to go hybrid to pick up essential survival tools (read, give up top tier healing/dps talents in exchange for defensive abilities).....

Also, these hybrid builds are not going to work in 2.0, and in exchange we pick up a three minute cool-down that effectively takes us out of the fight for ten seconds - hopefully there is a/another healer around to heal me up/keep the team up while I am MIA for 10 seconds.

Edited by alexsamma

And the people who claim it's all about skill must still be fascinated by the over-under intricacies of the two loop shoelace knot because playing a vid game is on par. I imagine these are the same people that never quite got the idea of fractions and what that was all about.

You should watch some Starcraft BroodWar or die ignorant. Hell, even sc2 is *********** hard to play to a decent level :p

Hell even quake while keeping track of 54 item repops timers is *********** hard.

Not like MMO's are hard, specially those with target / tab no aim systems, because they have a very low skill ceiling (and a moderate skill floor), but i had to answer to this stupidity.

Edited by Keldaur

You should watch some Starcraft BroodWar or die ignorant. Hell, even sc2 is *********** hard to play to a decent level :p

Hell even quake while keeping track of 54 item repops timers is *********** hard.

You can put "L33t at Broodwars" on a resume I bet. And mention that they even watch it on TV in Korea, between Jersey Shore reruns and Winter Sonata. If going for managment position, definatly want to list "Beat Quake in under an hour !"

Edited by MotorCityMan

enough ! i'm with my heart and my soul a sage player and can tell you this:

Sage/Sorc is imo one of the most underrated class if i'm watching different builds most people using with their sorc/sage i'm not wondering why they are failing.

Some players here did already say it, the cass is imo forced to be in the wrong direction.

The stats wont work well with the skilltree and in the pve tree are more utilitys and survivabilitys given then in the pvp tree. I'm realy excited about the telekinetic changes in 2.0, but still balance have the most and best burst/dmg/dps as the mid tree. And it didn't change, in fact mid tree relys on procs more than every, time isn't given for that, it's a pve spec, but i'll definatly try it on pts once bolster got a fix...

Anyway, look at the seer(heal) tree it's a ridiculous buff in hps!! and survivability. Why got balance nerfd that way ?

I want to be able to surrive as a range with skill and timing as i hardly can now but with the nerf of ww it's huge ! sure there shouldn't be a hard combat cc without casttime in the game (like merc have) but still we need something else then. With the ww nerf sage lose another 2sec stun !! and sage lack of cc compared to other classes i mean look what a guardian does with you ^^

The huge dmg boost on sage wasn't rly needed just a little adjustment to more burst like a 30% finisher or something. If ur ignoring the sage his dps will explode.

Few words about Force Barrier(the new shield ability), it's awesome, cuz it's another cc breaker this class absolutly needs (think of op stunslocks, or 2smasher on your a**) but as already told, 3min is too long to rely on it. And with alot of anti-root buffs to others classes (*cough* vanguard) root won't be that good as it is right now.

I'm not complaining just the balance tree need more survivabilitys.

still sage heal will be more op than merc heal, i believe.

Edited by cybernoise

Sages/sorcs get some really nice and interesting buffs in the dps department, particularly in the TK/LING tree. It remains to be tested though whether it is on par with the other classes. Force barrier is nice if they reduce the cd to 2mins. Now if they would increase a few meters the range of knochback then things would be really fine for them, even with the loss of instant force lift, which with 2.0 there will be too many dots flying around to that applicable or there arent enough points to take it. But dps wise there shouldnt be any complains as on paper it looks very promising. With a 30/16 build you can hit dist/ls for 5k which can proc tk wave/chain ling, whose damage has increased and has some nice slow effects also.

The heart of this argument seems to be that some sorcs are really angry because they can't get the 5k-hit medal. Personally I couldn't care less about medals and I often red flag anyone that mentions them seriously in wz chat. But... how does my rage Mara get the healer and medic medals? It seems like sorcs have the medals advantage.

if this is really just about crit size envy then you should know by now that some classes specialize in melee burst and some specialize in utility, escape maneuvers/mobility and team coordination. Pick your preference accordingly. I've seen sorcs end up with more damage than smashers at the end of wzs, even ranked ones.

1v1 sorcs absolutely can wreck maras but there's no guaranty because skill, gear and luck are big parts of the equation.

The heart of this argument seems to be that some sorcs are really angry because they can't get the 5k-hit medal.

^^ funny fact, every sorc/sage can easy(above 900bdmg) hit with 5k and on pts my sage hits with over 8k with FiB. And ur right, sage is the only class who can farm heal medals solo so i don't care about medals.. u get the 8 medals anyway !

You can put "L33t at Broodwars" on a resume I bet. And mention that they even watch it on TV in Korea, between Jersey Shore reruns and Winter Sonata. If going for managment position, definatly want to list "Beat Quake in under an hour !"

Actually, yeah they watch it on TV. Are you being stupid or just sarcastic ? What resume ? You were talking about how "much skill" you need on a videogame, i am telling you a ****ton and pointed out to some of them.

You know, you should also go to the football forums and whine there about how little skill it takes to play a game and how noone cares because any skill in football is quite useless for real life.

Edited by Keldaur

Sage/Sorc is imo one of the most underrated class if i'm watching different builds most people using with their sorc/sage i'm not wondering why they are failing.

Some players here did already say it, the cass is imo forced to be in the wrong direction.

The stats wont work well with the skilltree and in the pve tree are more utilitys and survivabilitys given then in the pvp tree. I'm realy excited about the telekinetic changes in 2.0, but still balance have the most and best burst/dmg/dps as the mid tree. And it didn't change, in fact mid tree relys on procs more than every, time isn't given for that, it's a pve spec, but i'll definatly try it on pts once bolster got a fix...

Anyway, look at the seer(heal) tree it's a ridiculous buff in hps!! and survivability. Why got balance nerfd that way ?

I want to be able to surrive as a range with skill and timing as i hardly can now but with the nerf of ww it's huge ! sure there shouldn't be a hard combat cc without casttime in the game (like merc have) but still we need something else then. With the ww nerf sage lose another 2sec stun !! and sage lack of cc compared to other classes i mean look what a guardian does with you ^^

The huge dmg boost on sage wasn't rly needed just a little adjustment to more burst like a 30% finisher or something. If ur ignoring the sage his dps will explode.

Few words about Force Barrier(the new shield ability), it's awesome, cuz it's another cc breaker this class absolutly needs (think of op stunslocks, or 2smasher on your a**) but as already told, 3min is too long to rely on it. And with alot of anti-root buffs to others classes (*cough* vanguard) root won't be that good as it is right now.

still sage heal will be more op than merc heal, i believe.

I have the same skepticism. Healers will be overpowered. But DPS in PVP with 30 in Lightning and numerous opponent cc and no energy restrictions to snipers?

Edited by Aetideus

The FULL balance tree seems underpar to a hybrid tk bias tree. As long as there is one spec that is on par with other dps classes, it is a start. You don't see vanguards complaining that their tactics is not as strong as their assault, or sentinels that watchman is under par to the other two, or slingers that their lethality is not as great as the other two again. In the end of the day the key abilities of balance and force in balance can still be taken.

Edited by MusicRider

Please enlighten me. I don't see the changes in the tree being in the wrong direction. The contrary, they seem super on paper and they only have to be assessed within the overall picture of a warzone.

The stats wont work well with the skilltree

You are not saying how they will not, but it doesmt matter because yes they will. Power and crit will benefit the 50% extra crit damage of dist and tk wave. Alacrity will allow you to have faster casting/channeling times and rotations.

I'm realy excited about the telekinetic changes in 2.0, but still balance have the most and best burst/dmg/dps as the mid tree. And it didn't change, in fact mid tree relys on procs more than every, time isn't given for that, it's a pve spec, but i'll definatly try it on pts once bolster got a fix...

Tk has more burst in 2.0. Rephrase a balance/tk hybrid with appropriate rotation has more burst than either of the two. Leaving aside alacrity and potency, the rest of the time for highest burst you have to get some procs and rely on crit. That's the most balanced burst. Every class should be built around this.

What was the nerf in balance you are referring to? Loss if instant force lift? It would be hardly applicable as balance got even more dots now. Balance in fact got buffed, just not maybe to the extend other trees of any class got buffed. And this still remains to be seen on how much damage the proc dot from tk will do. Also if the proc chance was increased there then balance would be a serious competitor for sustained damage with occasional burst.

The amount of resolve that WW gives for a 2s stun is not worth it. Instant WW was nice as an interrupt or to cc the healer. It was a last measure in a 1v1 fight and if you really wanted to make full use of it then you should have hold your dots back.

You are running ahead, by judging it as "huge". You have to test the damage and compare it to other classes. Every class had the capability of big numbers, with some even more so such as smash specs. However, the difference is that sages did fluff damage and the rest of the classes did burst damage.

Yes a reduction will be nice and it is actually mandatory given that other ranged classes (*cough* snipers) get cc-immune version of force speed on top of their gazillion defences and immunities.

I'm not complaining just the balance tree need more survivabilitys. still sage heal will be more op than merc heal, i believe.

FULL balance tree, yes. But like my other post, one spec needs to be viable and desirable in pvp. Other classes such as vanguards do not complain about their tactics tree cause assault is delivering and desirable. I would rather have 1 spec which is top notch than two that are just ok. Considering that healing tree on paper is top notch, then one dps would be brilliant. Then you have a class that can fullfil two roles perfectly, the way it is supposed to be.

...Force barrier is nice if they reduce the cd to 2mins. Now if they would increase a few meters the range of knochback then things would be really fine for them, even with the loss of instant force lift, which with 2.0 there will be too many dots...

An increase on the KB would be awesome in madness! Both the other trees get some modification to the KB, corruption makes it into a heal and lightning has the 5s root on it.

Why not add a talent to make the kb distance a bit longer? Like marksmanship get +2m distance on their knockback. Make it also 2m more through a talent somewhere in madness.

If melee wants to kill you, then melee will kill you in 2 GCDs. Might take a few jumps on you, but he will.

But hey: If he doesn't notice you, you can range DPS him to 2/3 HP within 8 casted GCDs!

If pyro gets close to you, then pyro will 1hit you.

But hey: Don't be a baddy! Just kite him! While doing so, you can do .... absolutely nothing. And sooner or later you'll be eating that granade. But hey: you're not alone, are you? You can win every 2X1 against a pyro! If you kite him that is, cause otherwise he will 1hit you.

Assassin comes out of stealth and hits your HP down to 1/3?

Not a problem. You have CCs! He's immune? Well, every class has a hard counter, doesn't it?

And anyway: Together with a healer, you can win every 1X1! Wait, that's 2X1.... oh well. Who cares.

And anyway: If the group protects you, you can even do some decent assists with dmg from behind. Not as good as those 7K Gods, but hey! You're not taking any dmg, as long as you're not taking any dmg, so too much burst would be OP!

And anyway: The game is not balanced for 1X1. Other classes demolish everything 1X1, but hey! Te game is not balanced for 1X1!

And anyway: You have that stupid bubble stun on every1. What? You're DPS and have too much CD on the bubble? Well, respecc heal then!

So stop being a baboon. The game is not balanced for 1X1, or for pugs. Learn 2p and go scientific with min/max/augment/gearing and also with gameplay and once in a while you might get a 4K crit, or even beat a marauder 1X1. At least if you have a healer helping out. What? That's not 1X1? Well, the game isn't balanced around 1X1, is it?

I've been playing a DPS sorc and I'm a pro and I tell you: DPS sorc is fine. L2p.

We aren't that bad. My sorc does 1k+ crits per tic with force lightning on most people except for tanks and ppl being guarded by tanks. I win the OCCASIONAL 1v1 against equally geard smashers......... We just need a slight damage boost to compensate for being THE SQUISHIEST class in the game imo. But that's just me and I'm no pro so I could be wrong.