Bioware, when can we get a word on player housing?

ISDcaptain

I know they make it kind of a big deal in game when your char actually 'gets' his/her ship but I haven't really gotten the impression they basically call it a home.

There is no mention of any of the characters having anything like a house. I don't see it meshing easily with the rest of the ingame lore. The Interlude text talks about the Fleet being the hub of all activity. So, if you live somewhere planetside, do you fly to the Fleet every morning, as if going to work, or what? Do you own a little dacha for vacation? I am not seeing a good way for any of my characters to use planetside real estate.

I am also curious as to what people actually DO in houses (vs. spaceships). What will the gameplay look like?

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one am quite happy with a ship for a house. - All I want is a bathroom. Me and my crews hav scoured the galaxy for well over a year looking for somewhere.....

There are bathrooms on Nar Shaddaa. You can even see a line by a cabin near that big Karagga's fountain, and a cross-legged patron banging on the door occasionally.

There are little cabins like this at the Black Hole as well.

But yeah, a bathroom on the ship would be nice. Going into the airlock is a bit of a chore and a hazard!

There are bathrooms on Nar Shaddaa. You can even see a line by a cabin near that big Karagga's fountain, and a cross-legged patron banging on the door occasionally.

There are little cabins like this at the Black Hole as well.

But yeah, a bathroom on the ship would be nice. Going into the airlock is a bit of a chore and a hazard!

What do you think the escape pod is for?

Then this game is a failure as an MMO

I laughed really hard. The game is a failure because you didn't get one little pointless thing that you want. You already have a ship, that is your player housing.

Repeat: Your ship is your player housing. There is even already some customization for it. Granted its not much and more would be nice, but it is there.

The ship is our home? Isn't that a bit more in line with star trek than star wars? (Thought I left STO, geez) I mean even yoda had a house. Come to think of it, most people in the SW universe had a non-spaceship dwelling. Spaceships being homes could be a smuggler/bh thing tied in with the story as Han Solo pretty much lived on the ship. But I'd like my other classes to have a house.

I don't see why all the hate generated towards giving people more options. This reminds me of the group finder debate. I say bring player housing (note: fix the important junk first) and if you don't want a house...don't buy any.

Seen posters in this thread who were frothing at the mouth for chat bubbles and mini games but against player housing?? right.

Edited by MandraMoody

I don't see why all the hate generated towards giving people more options. This reminds me of the group finder debate. I say bring player housing (note: fix the important junk first) and if you don't want a house...don't buy any.

Seen posters in this thread who were frothing at the mouth for chat bubbles and mini games but against player housing?? right.

The hate is generated because of the #1 Answer to these arguments......

Here it is....

THIS IS NOT STAR WARS GALAXIES.

That is the argument. These features from SWG that people want or expect from a completly different type of game, SWG was a MMORPG with Sandbox elements where you created a SIM's life. SWTOR is an MMO where you are the hero and has themepark build.

2 completly different games that share only an IP.

SWG is dead and gone and SWTOR lives. The majoirty of people didnt want SWG the sandbox or else they would not have left even before the NGE.

Edited by kirorx

I don't see why all the hate generated towards giving people more options

I don't think people hate the idea of devs giving us more options.

However, posts like "the game is a failure because I don't have a house" are lolworthy and it's only normal people will react to that kind of self-entitlement.

The ship is our home? Isn't that a bit more in line with star trek than star wars? (Thought I left STO, geez) I mean even yoda had a house. Come to think of it, most people in the SW universe had a non-spaceship dwelling. Spaceships being homes could be a smuggler/bh thing tied in with the story as Han Solo pretty much lived on the ship. But I'd like my other classes to have a house.

Fully agree. I just had a look at the Rift housing system today, which is absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, Rift isn't the best of games. Having housing in SWTOR would be great, and no, not talking about the ship.

I'd like, for instance, a temporary base on the planet I'm currently questing on, instanced and customizable, with stuff that you could take along to the next base. I'd find that pretty cool. I figure, with our chars spending so much time on the ship, they'd be glad to get out there once in a while.

A permanent option would be awesome too.

Just having the option would be great.

Edited by Lent_San

Fully agree. I just had a look at the Rift housing system today, which is absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately, Rift isn't the best of games. Having housing in SWTOR would be great, and no, not talking about the ship.

I'd like, for instance, a temporary base on the planet I'm currently questing on, instanced and customizable, with stuff that you could take along to the next base. I'd find that pretty cool. I figure, with our chars spending so much time on the ship, they'd be glad to get out there once in a while.

A temporary base on the planet you are working on, that can move around to all the different planets when you want to move...sounds a lot like a ship.

A temporary base on the planet you are working on, that can move around to all the different planets when you want to move...sounds a lot like a ship.

Except I wasn't talking about my ship. If you love your ship that much, great.

I prefer a house.

Except I wasn't talking about my ship. If you love your ship that much, great.

I prefer a house.

What the difference in FUNCTIONALITY between what you would do around a house, and what you now do around the ship? I realize they look different from the outside, but what is it people want to DO differently?

I am a noob when it comes to house-centered gameplay. For example, I would like to display my trophies somewhere - say, all the lightsaber hilts I ever captured. I could do it in the ship if they let me customize a wall-mounted display case, though.

What the difference in FUNCTIONALITY between what you would do around a house, and what you now do around the ship? I realize they look different from the outside, but what is it people want to DO differently?

I am a noob when it comes to house-centered gameplay. For example, I would like to display my trophies somewhere - say, all the lightsaber hilts I ever captured. I could do it in the ship if they let me customize a wall-mounted display case, though.

The setting is the difference. Once I've carved my way through dozens of warehouse- or factory-type settings and spend some time on the fleet, my eyes hurt from all that tech stuff, bricks and metal.

The planets we visit are actually quite beautiful, but we only go there for questing. I'd like a place like that for having a place to stay, sandy, sunny Tatooine or green and lush Alderaan.

It's a shame these sceneries are only used to breeze through and not to enjoy permanently.

It need not take the form of a ship. It is a TERRAIN VEHICLE.

The terrain vehicle is housed in the hangar of our personal starship when we travel from planets to planets. However when we visit planet, we will launch our terrain vehicle onto the planet. This terrain vehicle will serve as our planetary housing while we are there. It is mobile and replace the taxi point and we can travel from one quest hub to another using our terrain vehicle.

At the same time, I would like to see pvp and pve action using our terrain vehicle (much like space mission using our ship). These terrain vehicle should also be modd-able much like how we gear our char.

There are many beautiful vehicles design in starwar. Its a shame to see these not featured or used anywhere.

This is my vision of planetary housing in SWTOR.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While we are on this topics, I would also like to be able to have more than one starship and terrain vehicle in my collection. While we still get our first personal starship (and first terrain vehicle) at current method through questing leveling, how about collecting parts to build our additional other starship/terrain vehicle pretty much like how we collect parts and assemble the HK-51 companion? Just a thought.

Edited by Einobi

It need not take the form of a ship. It is a TERRAIN VEHICLE.

The terrain vehicle is housed in the hangar of our personal starship when we travel from planets to planets. However when we visit planet, we will launch our terrain vehicle onto the planet. This terrain vehicle will serve as our planetary housing while we are there. It is mobile and replace the taxi point and we can travel from one quest hub to another using our terrain vehicle.

At the same time, I would like to see pvp and pve action using our terrain vehicle (much like space mission using our ship). These terrain vehicle should also be modd-able much like how we gear our char.

There are many beautiful vehicles design in starwar. Its a shame to see these not featured or used anywhere.

This is my vision of planetary housing in SWTOR.

I'd actually be okay with that. Just something that's not packed away in some spaceport, please, but somewhere on the surface of a planet, moveable or not. I'd still prefer houses, but if it's big enough for customization to make sense, why not? At least that's a start.

The setting is the difference. Once I've carved my way through dozens of warehouse- or factory-type settings and spend some time on the fleet, my eyes hurt from all that tech stuff, bricks and metal.

It's a shame these sceneries are only used to breeze through and not to enjoy permanently.

I am asking about functionality. So, I need some VERBS describing what you would DO.

From what you wrote, I picture a character SITTING by a window and WATCHING the scenery outside. Right?

It would be a lot of work to implement when Bioware could easily do less work and allow customizable ships, inside & out.

Being able to customize them in a similiar fashion that other MMOs allow for player housing, would definitely be a bonus and I would fully support this.

Player housing would be a small benefit to a few in the player-base, and is just not a feature needed in this game.

I am asking about functionality. So, I need some VERBS describing what you would DO.

From what you wrote, I picture a character SITTING by a window and WATCHING the scenery outside. Right?

I guess other than 'standing around and running in circles' there's not much you can do on a ship right now, can you?

Housing is basically what you make of it, so it could be anything and everything, depending on what functionalities get implemented.

You could park your pets there, for instance, let your ship droid do some gardening while you invite other players over for pazaak, and that's just at the top of my head.

The possibilities really are endless, depending on how much effort people would be willing to put into it.

I know they make it kind of a big deal in game when your char actually 'gets' his/her ship but I haven't really gotten the impression they basically call it a home. It's great to get it, since this is where space travel actually kind of kicks off in the game, but to me a house to customize would be preferable and I wouldn't see it as something ooc, really.

It's funny though when you think about it and I may not be that familiar with the lore, but some loose smaller settlements aside, there do not seem to be any real villages or cities in the game. Sure, there's Coruscant or Nar Shaddaa and those are rather big cities, but we only get to visit the amusement quarters, military outposts or spaceports. Republic and Empire are embroiled in wars, but where are all the people/inhabitants both factions actually fight for?

That lack of life in game is a little odd, I must say. Having more settlements, living quarters in the game would make it all a little more lively. I mean, I hate to cite WoW but their inns had actual beds chars could sleep in while we don't even have nightfall in SWTOR, at least in some places. Well, lack of time references in game are different thing I guess, but housing would indeed help us create our own timeframe of things and more immersion would be the result of that.

Something that us RPers probably can never get enough and this game offers very little in this respect, as of now at least, I'm sad to say.

Well I don't recall my Inquisitor treating it like a home to much, just a little bit, but Andronikus, if memory serves correctly, had a conversation with my Inquisitor asking if she'd want to settle down into a real home. But I believe I got positive affection from Andronikus when I said the ship was home (him being a pirate and all, this makes sense).

Bounty Hunter for sure had a conversation about the ship being home.

I can't say for sure on any of the other classes, as I haven't gotten through all the storyline/companion quests on the other classes.

Again, not saying let's not get this in as an option! I'd love it! Though I'd admit I'd rather see guild ships before player houses on a planet.

I guess other than 'standing around and running in circles' there's not much you can do on a ship right now, can you?

Housing is basically what you make of it, so it could be anything and everything, depending on what functionalities get implemented.

You could park your pets there, for instance, let your ship droid do some gardening while you invite other players over for pazaak, and that's just at the top of my head.

The possibilities really are endless, depending on how much effort people would be willing to put into it.

Yeah, that's why I am asking. I have not "played house" in any game, so I can't reference to any possibilities, and nothing comes to mind. I appreciate your examples.

The ship is where you interact with companions, travel and do space missions of course, crafting, storing your stuff (I wish it were more visual!), training dummies, mailbox.

Some sort of "pet pen" would be fun. Maybe you could let a couple at a time out and see them cavort.

I guess I am not seeing any of these things as necessary "planet-bound" though. You could play pazaak in space, and garden too (though it's a stretch).

I guess one thing I would like to have that is unique to a house (vs. a ship) is belonging to a village. Maybe I could join a community, if I have good enough reputation with that nation, and then interact with the locals (via my house). Wouldn't it be cool to have Gree neighbors visit and chat about red bisectors or whatever?

Like it or not, our ships WILL be our housing. It's already showing elements of customization. The handwriting is so blatantly on the wall for this I don't know how anyone can't see it. But, for arguments sake, what would housing look like if it were not our ships?

Sith/Jedi: I really see the jedi as being minimalistic in their dwellings....you know...space monks. And, like monks, they would live together in temples. They would sit in bare rooms meditating or reading. Customization options would be pretty low. Sith would probably be the same as far as living together in temples. I just don't see them having a house.

Troopers: Living in barracks most likely.

BH/Agents/Smugglers: Their ships would really be their main home. If Han Solo or Boba Fett had a house, they probably almost never went to it.

The hate is generated because of the #1 Answer to these arguments......

Here it is....

THIS IS NOT STAR WARS GALAXIES.

That is the argument. These features from SWG that people want or expect from a completly different type of game, SWG was a MMORPG with Sandbox elements where you created a SIM's life. SWTOR is an MMO where you are the hero and has themepark build.

2 completly different games that share only an IP.

SWG is dead and gone and SWTOR lives. The majoirty of people didnt want SWG the sandbox or else they would not have left even before the NGE.

I know what SWG is, I played it through from JTL's launch through the NGE on Bria. Thanks.

Yeah ok so what? Why not have an element from that game in here? We have group finder, a talent system and warzones from WoW (saw a thread asking for arena too) but somehow it makes sense to steal from every other mmo out there but heaven forbid from SWG! To say it's just because it was more of a sandbox than a themepark doesn't make any difference really...nothing would be lost from the current game to add housing.

In the end it's all about giving the players more immersion and more options. To be against that for others just because certain players don't want the rest to have that option...imo is extremely stupid. BW could cash in on this feature via the CM in a huge way as well so it's not in any way a bad thing...unneeded? maybe but so are chat bubbles, mini games, vanity pets, reputation, and a whole host of other features.

Edited by MandraMoody