Bioware, when can we get a word on player housing?

ISDcaptain

Baby steps....first, maybe we could sit in more than 1 chair in 1000.....or actually lay in our bunks.

Yea I disliked that myself. At best I would like to see all rooms on your ships opened( on the defender I have like 3 closed doors) be able to deceroate your ship like how some perks add repaid droid, mail box, and galaxy kiosk would be cool . But the only way anything like housing should be implemented is to do it with our ships.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A customizable player ship where you could select the furniture would greatly improve the immersion of the game , the cookie cutter sameness of all the ships gets a bit boring after a while, if you have seen one class's ship you have seen all of the ships from that class, there are only minor differences like how the companions are dressed.

And having a ship or house that reflects your personality was one the selling points of SWG.

I for one miss my gunboat, yacht, guild hall and houses from SWG and I would like the successor of SWG to implement something similar, even if it is just the interior of my ship.

But the only way anything like housing should be implemented is to do it with our ships.

Why should that be the ONLY way? Perhaps in your opinion. But why limit what the rest of us can enjoy just because you don't think an option should be here?

I'll never understand that mindset..."I don't want peaches in my grocery store so NO ONE should have the option to buy peaches where I shop!"

It's exactly the same deal as the debate on group finder and it didn't hurt the people who didn't want it in any way.

I HATE mini games, hate em..pazaak? ***? needless and doesn't fit with my idea of SW in my opinion.

However I would welcome it here..why? Because although it's not my cup of tea, it may be for others. More options = more players.

No one can give a legit reason why it shouldn't be here...not a preference or opinion, a real, unbiased reason based on reasonable thought and objective logic. Wait lol now I know that's asking for far too much;)

Edited by MandraMoody

So you'd like the developers to burn several man-years to implement player housing when they could instead be implementing... oh, anything else, really? :confused:

So, anything else (involving the things you prefer, I'd presume) is more important than what other people like to have in the game? How interesting.

In that case, I'd like to suggest that ANYTHING other than PvP is deemed worthy of further development, since I don't play any PvP at all. Done? Done.

When do people learn how to share a cake instead of wanting everything for themselves? :rolleyes:

And 'man-years' made me laugh. Yeah. It's that complicated. That's why it took Rift half a year to get it done.

So you'd like the developers to burn several man-years to implement player housing when they could instead be implementing... oh, anything else, really? :confused:

Frankly? Yes. A quality Sandbox element like player housing, if done right so as to not interfere with the rest of the game, would help make this a well balanced game enjoyable to more people.

Get real, "man-years"? LMAO really? Not with EAware's bank. Other games implemented it not in years so this company could as well.

It's something a great many people want like the WoW barber shop coming which we also don't need. So you don't like the player housing idea, good for you!

Edited by MandraMoody

Frankly? Yes. A quality Sandbox element like player housing, if done right so as to not interfere with the rest of the game, would help make this a well balanced game enjoyable to more people.

Yes I agree. It is greatly missed by many as a feature. I have many ex-swg/rift/eq2/ffxi friends that would sub here if they had planets you could drop a house on..... or just remove those stupid exhaustion zones and allow players to have an area on the planets to have a player home on.

So, anything else (involving the things you prefer, I'd presume) is more important than what other people like to have in the game? How interesting.

In that case, I'd like to suggest that ANYTHING other than PvP is deemed worthy of further development, since I don't play any PvP at all. Done? Done.

When do people learn how to share a cake instead of wanting everything for themselves? :rolleyes:

And 'man-years' made me laugh. Yeah. It's that complicated. That's why it took Rift half a year to get it done.

Very good points:) I'd easily let go of pvp here to be able to drop a house on one of the planets or to be able to decorate my ship..it actually only feels like a taxi to me.

Rift didn't/doesn't have half EAware's avail balance, so yes they could easily. Put furni and SW themed houses on the CM in packs like the throne mounts aside from a standard house vendor or crafted homes. Swg made a killing in their card game that had a sandcrawler house as one of many home loot cards. It's nothing but win-win for BW if they did this.

Edited by MandraMoody

Yes I agree. It is greatly missed by many as a feature. I have many ex-swg/rift/eq2/ffxi friends that would sub here if they had planets you could drop a house on..... or just remove those stupid exhaustion zones and allow players to have an area on the planets to have a player home on.

I'd really like that. Those exhaust zones are waste of space anyway, since they're simply fake borders as there's nothing else there. Why not put instanced housing there? I fully agree.

Get real, "man-years"? LMAO really? Not with EAware's bank. Other games implemented it not in years so this company could as well.

It's something a great many people want like the WoW barber shop coming which we also don't need. So you don't like the player housing idea, good for you!

A man-year is different from a calendar year, right? As a PM of developers, I've delivered projects that required many man-years of effort in 6-ish months. Man-year is a measure of investment.

Here's the question, and maybe I can't answer it but EA should...

How much revenue would player housing generate relative to the amount of resources required to implement it? In other words, how profitable will it be?

How many who aren't currently subscribers will become subscribers solely because of, or in large part because of player housing? How much CM revenue can we make via player housing?

We have a couple of hundred people online at any moment, giving each a house let alone several would require a whole worlds worth of coding, maybe two worlds worth. Besides, we don't need it, we can store items on our ships, and if we had house we would need to trapse back to our home, rather than adventuring on the world where our mission is.

A few nicknacks in the ship would help, like the captains quarters in ME2 and ME3, but the ships aren't really set up for adding furnishings, and would probably need redesigning to accomodate this.

We have a couple of hundred people online at any moment, giving each a house let alone several would require a whole worlds worth of coding, maybe two worlds worth. Besides, we don't need it.....

Who is this we? Would you mind not including me in this we? We don't need pets and more and more WZs, yet we have them and that's good.

I'd like to have housing, cause I enoy it and it's a staple in most MMOs. So I guess, I need it.

Here's the question, and maybe I can't answer it but EA should...

How much revenue would player housing generate relative to the amount of resources required to implement it? In other words, how profitable will it be?

How many who aren't currently subscribers will become subscribers solely because of, or in large part because of player housing? How much CM revenue can we make?

I guess you should ask that devs who have successfully implemented housing in their MMOs, not those who haven't yet. Ask the LOTRO guys. They sell A LOT of housing customizations through their CM, so I guess the revenue won't be that bad. Edited by Lent_San

I'd like to be able to decorate my ship. If housing isn't possible, the ship is fine to live on, but I don't see why they couldn't have condos in a highrise in Dromund Kass, or Coruscant...that would be really cool, if we all got penthouses with a supernice view...and ya it would have to be instanced, so we all get our own places, lol.

I'd like to be able to decorate my ship. If housing isn't possible, the ship is fine to live on, but I don't see why they couldn't have condos in a highrise in Dromund Kass, or Coruscant...that would be really cool, if we all got penthouses with a supernice view...and ya it would have to be instanced, so we all get our own places, lol.

Agreed. Coruscant would be nice. :cool:

They could even make it a legacy house that all your toons on one server share, factionwise.

Edited by Lent_San

Who is this we? Would you mind not including me in this we? We don't need pets and more and more WZs, yet we have them and that's good.

I'd like to have housing, cause I enoy it and it's a staple in most MMOs. So I guess, I need it.

I guess you should ask that devs who have successfully implemented housing in their MMOs, not those who haven't yet. Ask the LOTRO guys. They sell A LOT of housing customizations through their CM, so I guess the revenue won't be that bad.

This is exactly what im saying. Housing should come to swtor so should guild halls and ships. We need more social stuff like this rather than HM/NM raids all the time

This is exactly what im saying. Housing should come to swtor so should guild halls and ships. We need more social stuff like this rather than HM/NM raids all the time

agreed.

You do a Raid a dozen or so times and you are bored with it. You have a house that can constantly be upgraded or used for different things you always have something to do that you can call your own.

Edited by Jahosefat

Agreed. This game is unbalanced in this respect. No-one wants to take all the raids and WZs away, no, there should be more of them. But this game also needs to grow up in the sense that it needs to be enriched by things other MMORPGs succesfully implemented, more social stuff, more things to do beside all that group content. Maybe such things don't necessarily draw people to the game (most people may expect such things to be in in the first place), but it keeps people in the game by keeping them engaged and interested.

agreed.

You do a Raid a dozen or so times and you are bored with it. You have a house that can constantly be upgraded or used for different things you always have something to do that you can call your own.

Exactly, as I said, there needs to be a balance. Sometimes you might wanna run three OPs in a row (well, I don't but I know other people do) and sometimes you might just wanna have some downtime doing social stuff like decorating your house or gather things to put on display there. You know, both types of playing have their place in this game, ideally. Edited by Lent_San

agreed.

I suggest not comparing "playing house" and raiding by interest, because they are totally different game mechanics and probably appeal to different people. But we can compare them by other characteristics, like time-on-task.

I would very much like to see a consolidated list of actions people see themselves doing in houses. This would help BW too, because they could estimate in-game time housing would add.

I know what I am doing in raids. Even after reading this whole thread, I have NO IDEA what it is people plan on DOING in the houses. A progression raid typically takes about 3 hours, for example, not counting prep like getting stims. How long would it take to do whatever it is you plan on doing in the house?

Edited by MariaD

I suggest not comparing "playing house" and raiding by interest, because they are totally different game mechanics and probably appeal to different people. But we can compare them by other characteristics, like time-on-task.

I would very much like to see a consolidated list of actions people see themselves doing in houses. This would help BW too, because they could estimate in-game time housing would add.

I know what I am doing in raids. Even after reading this whole thread, I have NO IDEA what it is people plan on DOING in the houses. A progression raid typically takes about 3 hours, for example, not counting prep like getting stims. How long would it take to do whatever it is you plan on doing in the house?

Honestly, there's no reason for a list. Devs just need to look at other games for inspiration, those that have housing. I'm sure they're familiar with that content from those other games, so they just need to look there.

I will give you a few examples though.

1) Make unique items available for displaying in your house that you can gather through quests/misssions/events.

Connect those with the Legacy system, so rarer things might give you legacy achivements and thus a few CM points. People could then display those items in their house for pure enjoyment.

2) Rift, for instance, has a rating system for housing. You can visit houses that have been decorated with cool stuff from all over the place and rate them. Those houses that have the best rating will be displayed in a list of 'winners'.

3) In LOTRO, you can fish and earn fishing trophies to display in your house. You can earn house customization items in all of their events.

4) WoW has implemented a farming system. You can basically build a farm through questing for a certain faction, earn reputation points there and items to display on your farm.

That's just a few examples. It's not so much what you do IN your house, it's what you do WITH it. That house could become a mini-game in itself.

Edited by Lent_San