Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Bad feeling about lack of "Expansion" news

Luxidenstore

So now we've gone into february and the info/news about the Rise of the Hutt Cartel "expansion" that's suppposed to launch in the spring is few and far in between. Am I the only one who has a very bad feeling about this? (and weren't we actually promised a steady steam of info "soon", not long ago?)

From my experience it's rare for games to withhold that much information when we're this close to launch. Which makes me wonder if there's actually a lot more info to give? Or maybe there's a delay announcement incomming, pushing it to summer of autumn? You'd think they'd want to start building the hype if they want to continue brining new players to the game, and existing players back and not just be satisfied with the revenue created from the Cartel Store.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now we've gone into february and the info/news about the Rise of the Hutt Cartel "expansion" that's suppposed to launch in the spring is few and far in between. Am I the only one who has a very bad feeling about this? (and weren't we actually promised a steady steam of info "soon", not long ago?)

From my experience it's rare for games to withhold that much information when we're this close to launch. Which makes me wonder if there's actually a lot more info to give? Or maybe there's a delay announcement incomming, pushing it to summer of autumn? You'd think they'd want to start building the hype if they want to continue brining new players to the game, and existing players back and not just be satisfied with the revenue created from the Cartel Store.

Spring can mean all the way up until the 3rd week of June. Probably not as close as you think. They are live testing in Austin - I wouldn't be too worried.

Edited by Typeslice

Besides the newest item to drop will be 1.7 Return of the Gree. If there is any news to be had I would expect it to be on 1.7.

And that news is very slim on 1.7 they seem to have gone kinda quiet, which means two things to me it is about to start or they are having issues, at least that is the perception I am left with, and it is suppose to kick off here pretty soon, I have a bad feeling about anything that involves patching, back in beta they were bad at patching and they have got a little better, but light years behind other companies.. /sigh

Spring can mean all the way up until the 3rd week of June. Probably not as close as you think. They are live testing in Austin - I wouldn't be too worried.

^ This. Spring is a wide open "release" window. And there's a good chance they'll mis that window and the whole thing gets pushed back. It's February 2nd. It's not close to press release time for Rise of the Hutt Cartel.

Makes you think what they don't want you to know

The secret is that the tiny amount of info already released will actually be all that the expansion is going to have :p

No I'm not joking completely, the cartel market has been a huge source of revenue for them lately and if I was a CEO I'd say more of that instead of content that is free (or close to free, as the expansion is).

The secret is that the tiny amount of info already released will actually be all that the expansion is going to have :p

No I'm not joking completely, the cartel market has been a huge source of revenue for them lately and if I was a CEO I'd say more of that instead of content that is free (or close to free, as the expansion is).

But that's also because of pricing fail:

"Expansion" - $10

1 mount - ~$18

epic ammount of content incoming

Usually this means they are in the decision process about new features and systems that will be released in the expansion. I don't blame them one bit for not saying anything exact beyond the rep system and 5 levels. We know that already. That's enough info for me, for now.

Sports games tend to not talk at all.. when it's merely a roster update and they've put no actual new content out. they don't talk so people don't have a chance to get butthurt ahead of time they're paying 60 dollars for essentially a roster update.

MLB 2K13 for example -- 2K had their major league baseball license expire after last year. the word out of them was they didn't make any money with baseball so they weren't going to resign; thus meaning xbox wouldn't have a baseball title this season. then about two weeks ago 2K announced with a one-sentence press release basically that they've resigned for the year with MLB and would put out a 2K13. that and David Price as the cover athlete, and the release date is March 5th is all they've announced. there's no video that i can find, no news on features. no nothing...this is the official web page for the game http://2ksports.com/games/mlb2k13 which comes out in four weeks.

unless they can develop an entire new game engine and a myriad of features in four weeks ... it's going to be a roster update. hence why there is no info about it and the devs for that game aren't talking. just like there is no info about 1.7 or the expansion... our devs aren't talking about it. meaning other than a planet that almost looks like a cross between voss and corellia and a bunch of new "gather X and turn in" quests without voice acting we aren't having a whole lot.

at least it's only 10 dollars instead of the 60 most games and expansions cost. so we're only paying 1/6th of the normal price to be disappointed.

To be fair, it's really $20.

Currently I can buy Mists of Pandaria for $14.99

WoW mounts in their online shop = $25

:rak_02:

Since we're talking about "fair" then I'd like to point out that those WoW mounts are account wide. There's no way I'm going to pay 18 bucks for a single character speeder.

I reckon that Spring means 'May'.

I did as well but then I was working on 1.7 being on the PTS by now. Currently it does not appear to be hitting the PTS until at least 12/2 (no maintenance advertised) so I'm thinking of reviewing my estimate.

Which means even if they only have it on PTS a week a do nothing else they only just to meet the absolute outside of their (extended for christmas) release window.

My point exactly

Just don't buy the mount then? if anything - isn't it a little comforting to know they aren't churning out $5 mounts? People are quick to blame EA for going after a quick buck; but I think we can all agree that pricing a mount ay $18 is not the most efficient way to make a quick buck. If you think the cartel items are over-priced, don't buy them; but don't complain that the expansion (something people will need to progress in the game, unlike cartel items) is priced too low.

Edited by Typeslice

So, if the speeder in the cartel shop was worth $25 instead and account wide, would this then make everyone feel that $20 for ROHC is priced fairly? :D What weird shift in the original point this is.

(my point was, price of mount =/= measurement of content)

Edited by chuixupu

I surprised people still hold such hope/enthusiasm for EAware.

I fully expect shotty work and lies from this company.

Just look at the sorry arse trailer they have for it.

Look at how DA2 turned out.

Look at how ME2 turned out.(reduced)

Fook it, doesn't matter either way.

Edited by MSpectre

I surprised people still hold such hope/enthusiasm for EAware.

I fully expect shotty work and lies from this company.

Just look at the sorry arse trailer they have for it.

Look at how DA2 turned out.

Look at how ME2 turned out.(reduced)

Fook it, doesn't matter either way.

lolwat? DA2 was by all accounts a very good game. People were just disappointed that it detracted so much from the Warden story. The other complaints were highly subjective and not actual criticisms of the game. Some people liked the stylized combat and some people liked the more strategy aspect of DA:O. The only real legitimate design complaint was the recycling of level designs.

ME2? Who the hell complains about ME2? The one people like to complain about is ME3-- not ME2. And again the complaint was basically "this series was so good and we were so emotionally invested in the story that we are pissed off that you didn't end it right".

Like for real if people want to have criticisms about SWTOR fine, but let's not just start throwing all of Bioware's other games, which have been massive commercial successes, under the bus in the process.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.