James Ohlen: "Makeb is not an expansion"

Eszi

Please give the official 2003 MMO feature list. I didn't know there was an official document that detailed what an MMO in 2003 would have and also detailed why those features were 2003 exclusive. Can't believe I missed that. Can you please link it to us?

So you believe there has to be an "offical document" to make something an industry standard? thats funny, i thought it just meant the minimum of what is expected of your product because all of your cometition has it and has had it. Im not aware of any "official document" that says texting and a touch screen are now standard for smart phones, if youre not an idiot and have been using smart phones for a few years, you just know they are.

Bioware could start with a combat window and macros, something nearly every mmo has had since 1999.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically isnt this 20 dollars unless you preorder? They could of added features or more content then originally thought as well since way back then. Also the staff has had some major turnover as well so you cant take anything that was said back then

Go to 5:07

So they said it themselves - this is NOT an expansion. Looks like bioware is just trying to see if we are willing to pay for a patch, as long as it has a fancy name attached to it. Looks like we are, but hey, people are paying $18 for recolored stuff on cm, so why not

And they you wonder why people don't trust bioware :rolleyes:

inb4 ninjadelete and/or infraction

Back then that may have been true.

However, since then we have had F2P and any information you are hanging onto before that is pretty much null and void. As well as over time who knows how much Makeb has changed plus who know right now if it's worth $10 or not.

What little information we do have, it does indeed sound like it's headed in the direction to be worth $10.

But it is now an expansion either way. Accept it cause it's not changing.

Edited by Quraswren

Technically isnt this 20 dollars unless you preorder? They could of added features or more content then originally thought as well since way back then. Also the staff has had some major turnover as well so you cant take anything that was said back then

Price doesn't change by pre-order. Price changes based on if you're a sub or not. Subs get it for $10, free for $20.

I'm sure this has been said already, but I haven't read the comments so sorry if it has been said.

EA control this, not BioWare. If anything, James said that and then at a later point in time, EA decided to do what they did and made it a digital expansion. I'm sure this would have been the publishers decision, NOT the developer.

True expansions usually cost anywhere from $29.00 to $49.00 depending on which MMO, WOW expansions are probably the most expensive but they do add a lot of content.

I think people have to come to terms with the fact that this game is designed around F2P which means their going to nickel and dime you every chance they get... Content that was original planned to be free when the game was released with the subscription only model is now going to be charged for under the F2P Model.

As long as people keep throwing cash at EA/Bioware then there not going to change how they do things... I still see people opening cartel packs left and right on the station... People have probably spent 3-4 years worth of subscriptions to get a few semi-unique items... But hey people wanted F2P... Sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for.

For someone that prides them self on being the first to 3-man EC, you sure are late to this conversation. There are plenty of other threads you could have necro'd about the exact same topic, even referencing the EXACT SAME INTERVIEW.

Except by your own admission it isn't an expansion so calling it a digital expansion doesn't work, its DLC, get over it.

Please point out where I said, "Makeb is not an expansion."

Someone made a comparision between MMO expansions and Single-Player DLC. I did as well. You don't seem to be able to understand english very well.

Makeb IS an expansion, in that it adds a new area and 5 more lvls. That is usually the defenition for an expansion. Whether its DLC or an expansion is irrellevant. We get charged for DLC in single player games, why shouldn't we be charged for Makeb?

Its only 10$ for pre-orders, and 20$ for everyone else. Still a low price. If they were charging 40$ and claiming Makeb would be a HUGE expansion, I could see why people would be upset.

But they're not. They're just promising a new area for lvl 50s, 5 more lvls, same gender romances, etc. All for 20$. A small expansion, but an expansion, none-the-less.

People upset that they are charging for Makeb is stupid. You don't want to pay money for it, then don't. But that isn't your problem. People are upset, because they want the Makeb expansion, but have to pay for it.

Get over it.

Please point out where I said, "Makeb is not an expansion."

Someone made a comparision between MMO expansions and Single-Player DLC. I did as well. You don't seem to be able to understand english very well.

Makeb IS an expansion, in that it adds a new area and 5 more lvls. That is usually the defenition for an expansion. Whether its DLC or an expansion is irrellevant. We get charged for DLC in single player games, why shouldn't we be charged for Makeb?

Its only 10$ for pre-orders, and 20$ for everyone else. Still a low price. If they were charging 40$ and claiming Makeb would be a HUGE expansion, I could see why people would be upset.

But they're not. They're just promising a new area for lvl 50s, 5 more lvls, same gender romances, etc. All for 20$. A small expansion, but an expansion, none-the-less.

People upset that they are charging for Makeb is stupid. You don't want to pay money for it, then don't. But that isn't your problem. People are upset, because they want the Makeb expansion, but have to pay for it.

Get over it.

This is the question you need to ask him:

If it is an "expansion" it would likely mean that any real expansion is far off the table. Lets face it, it was slated as a content update.

I enjoyed the game, but burned through the content. I consumed 6 month subs at a time. I was not crazy about the lack of updates, so I have to leave for awhile.

The current "expansion" was announced last spring and projected by the end of the year. Still we wait. Sorry, but I'll save my money. No, I don't care that you don't care. Please feel free to post long and boring rants about how I need to move on. I am not going to waste my time reading them.

Yes, it's more fun for me to post in the forums now than play the game. If you fan folk were having such a good time, that is where you would be as well.

I imagine this was one of their planned major content updates to release periodically - now that the game has changed to F2P, circumstances have changed, and they're looking for payment for entry. I think the discount for subscribers has something to do with this.

The new level cap sort of says "Expansion" a bit too much though. Personally, I'd rather an expansions be much more... mind-blowing. Bioware can't be that short of ideas.

I know they haven't said anything yet,,,but is cathar's coming with this Expansion or did that get canned? or Delayed a year,,,if the game even survives that long. If Cathar's come out,,,mind as well add another race some subs would love to play.

-Subs can have up to 22 characters...one big legacy-family tree.:p

Yes, it's more fun for me to post in the forums now than play the game. If you fan folk were having such a good time, that is where you would be as well.

I always stop by the forums before playing, sometimes after. I like to be a voice in the community. Its still more fun playing the game than posting.

I can't help but wonder, though. With your logic, are you saying that you are posting here, because doing so is not only more fun than playing SW:TOR, but any other game in existence as well?

Does this include real life activities?

How can your standards be so low, yet at the same time, so impossibly high? :w_eek:

Edited by CaptRavenous

Personally, I'm never a forum-user... except when I'm at work - any free time thinking about a game, I'd rather spend playing the game, but that's not always possible. So I'm here jostling with you guys.

I haven't burned though the content at all, but I guess that's because I've got a job. There's so many classes I still want to play, I'm waiting for Bioware to sort out the Oceanic server concerns before finding groups or joining a guild.

Personally, I am still think that subs shouldn't have to pay for this. We pay our $15 a month and yes we get full access, but since this isn't an expansion, subs shouldn't have to pay.

I personally think it doesn't matter if you am still think subs shouldn't have to pay. As long as we're sharing pointless opinions :p

I am fine with whatever business model they apply for content created after EAware went F2P.

But Makeb was planned, financed and developped last year, long before James Ohlen even spoke about it at E3 in june 2012. This piece of content was shown in a trailer, along with Terror from Beyond, Ancient Hypergates and the new space missions.

Makeb was already "paid" for by the subscribers in 2012, and all I'm seeing is that EAware is trying to gouge the 2012 subscribers by making them pay a second time.

It's not about quantity or quality of the "expansion".

It's about Eaware making the long time subscribers pay for Makeb twice. First, when we were subscribers in 2012, and a second time in spring 2013.

No way for me.

Betting my account details, credit card included there was NO plans to increase lvl cap with Makeb. That thought only erntered their mind when they realized expansion itself lacks any desireable enough quality for significant majority to buy it.

Could I have your account and credit card details please?

Level cap increase announced in same video as Makeb. What else would they have filled 5 levels with? Flashpoint dailies?

Yay for someone else paying my creditcard bills from now on!

I don't really think it's a true expansion either. I hope this means that we can still expect a REAL expansion in the future, even if it's a year or two away (likely when they finally improve the space combat system).

I would think its unlikely. More frequent small expansions are more of a fit for the F2Pbusiness model: Lower prices make it more attractive to free players, lower development time and cost and a more regular revenue flow for EA. If anything its better for the players to get 1/2 an expansion every year than 1 expansion every 2 years as long as they are priced accordingly. Less waiting for big pieces of new content.

Could I have your account and credit card details please?

Level cap increase announced in same video as Makeb. What else would they have filled 5 levels with? Flashpoint dailies?

Yay for someone else paying my creditcard bills from now on!

Oops!

@PacSoup my understanding is that Cathar is now CM - there is not AFAIK a release date for them though so potentially they are released at the same time (that would kind of make sense to me anyway).

I would think its unlikely. More frequent small expansions are more of a fit for the F2Pbusiness model: Lower prices make it more attractive to free players, lower development time and cost and a more regular revenue flow for EA. If anything its better for the players to get 1/2 an expansion every year than 1 expansion every 2 years as long as they are priced accordingly. Less waiting for big pieces of new content.

Trouble is I would imagine that makes it more difficult to justify getting VAs back to do class story content and /or any companion interaction because hiring someone for a day to record companion interactions for a whole chapter of class story is easy enough to justify hiring someone to voice 2 lines is significantly more difficult.

Unless of course they work really far ahead but my understanding was that F2P doesn't have that kind of long term aspect to it.