The Old Republic killed my PC

Skeptical

I've had a gaming rig for awhile. I've loved it. I've never had a single problem with it. My warranty ran out a couple of months ago. The night before last I noticed my performance was stuttering and I was lagging when no one else seemed to be. My PC's fans were roaring.

I stopped playing and gave my PC a chance to rest.

I logged on the next day around noon to set up some Crew Skill missions and then log back off. I started 3 crew missions and walked away to make lunch. I came back and the screen was frozen.

I tried to alt tab, didn't work. I tried to ctrl+alt+delete to bring up the task manager, didn't work.

I powered down and waited a few. I turned my PC back on and the lights came on, the fans started running and nothing else happened.

I didn't even get any error beeps, which means no Bios. So either my power supply is going out or my processor or mother board are fried.

The worst part is that I redeemed my CE code and my free time is ticking away at this very moment. I haven't even had a chance to get my CE items. Just thought I'd share.

Send pity, beer, and new components ASAP. Also, everyone who is able to play... I hate you all. :p

I've had a gaming rig for awhile. I've loved it. I've never had a single problem with it. My warranty ran out a couple of months ago. The night before last I noticed my performance was stuttering and I was lagging when no one else seemed to be. My PC's fans were roaring.

I logged on the next day around noon to set up some Crew Skill missions and then log back off. I started 3 crew missions and walked away to make lunch. I came back and the screen was frozen.

I tried to alt tab, didn't work. I tried to ctrl+alt+delete to bring up the task manager, didn't work.

I powered down and waited a few. I turned my PC back on and the lights came on, the fans started running and nothing else happened.

I didn't even get any error beeps, which means no Bios. So either my power supply is going out or my processor or mother board are fried.

The worst part is that I redeemed my CE code and my free time is ticking away at this very moment. I haven't even had a chance to get my CE items. Just thought I'd share.

Send pity, beer, and new components ASAP. Also, everyone who is able to play... I hate you all. :p

Wasn't Swtor....

It was Murphy's Law. "Crap" happens!

I know this cause you said your warranty was out only a couple months.

thats great... at least you had a pc to play on for early access haha, i got in first day, dont have a comp that can run it... and ive been legitimately sick the whole time of early access... :p im just hopin christmas is good so i can build a cheapo one for ~ 450-500$ haha

Wasn't Swtor....

It was Murphy's Law. "Crap" happens!

I know this cause you said your warranty was out only a couple months.

Yeah, I died a little inside when I called and the customer service guy told me that my warranty had just expired not too long ago. He then proceeded to tell me he could tell me what was wrong with it for an $80 fee.

I told him that that wasn't going down and to have a nice day. I dropped her off at the Tech shop up the street from my house. I just know that they are going to call me tomorrow and tell me that I'll need a component that has to be ordered and won't be in until after Christmas.

It'd be nice if it was something simple though.

I have never understood why people seem to think computers "need rest".

If it is having problems like that it doesn't need a nap, it likely is overheating and needs the fans and heat sinks blown out or something.

Computers that "need rest" are dying and need help, not a vacation.

Just a weird thought, since I work in desktop support and hear this all the time.

Your processor is most likely dead. It could still be the mobo. But that is not usually the case. I would just pickup a new one. Amd has decent ones for under a hundred and if you need intel then a decent one will run you around two hundred. It sucks but keeping up maintenance really helps to extend there life. Most likely it just over heated. I monitor my temps to make sure I never get above 60 degrees Celsius. I recommend when you get you comp fixed to do the same.

thats great... at least you had a pc to play on for early access haha, i got in first day, dont have a comp that can run it... and ive been legitimately sick the whole time of early access... :p im just hopin christmas is good so i can build a cheapo one for ~ 450-500$ haha

That sucks. I talked to a guy last night who got in the first day of early access and found out his PC couldn't run it.

I installed the game on my wife's crappy lap top even though a warning popped up and said that her machine didn't have enough cores to run the game. The game started up and the cinematic played. I got really excited, and then I saw the Character selection screen where it was a slide show.

I logged in with everything set to the absolute bare minimum and checked FPS. 4 frames per second.

I want my baby back. She's been so good to me.

And to the other guy who mentioned a vid card... I wish it was that simple. I haven't changed or altered anything because ordered it with all the components that I wanted.

No beeps at all is either your Power Supply or Processor.

When was the last time you opened the case and blew the dust out of it?

It had been awhile. After it failed I opened her up and reseated all of my components and there wasn't that much dust.

To the guy that got all condescending about vacationing PCs:

Condescending Retort: When a machine is overheating. It behooves one to allow it ample time to cool off, meat ba... master.

Seriously, I've been through 4 RRoD Xbox 360s before we were finally able to install games to the drive. Why did they RRoD? Because they overheat and bend the components.

There's nothing wrong with letting an overheating PC cooldown. Granted, I should have done some poking around before I turned it on again, but I didn't plan to be on all that long.

I'd start with a clean slate, remove the CMOS battery and set to jumper to clear (it's location should be in your manual with directions on how to do it), and then reconnect the components only necessary to get it to post (i.e. power supply, a stick of memory, video card if you don't have a integrated graphics port) and just see if you can get it to POST.

While everything is off, check for bloated or swollen capacitors . IF you see any it's time to replace the board.

If you haven't run anything as graphically intense as SWTOR before and then all the sudden did and ran into a problem, it's possible it aggravated a problem you already had. It isn't SWTORs fault, there are programs specifically made to push hardware in order to detect failing components and it's probably a good thing you found out now instead of when you were doing something important (like taxes, etc).

I was running for the taxi in Cor when my computer just turned off. I thought that was wierd. Tried to restart the thing and it wouldnt go. Called hubby away from his football game and asked him to look at it. He thought the power supply had died and he would look into fixing it the next day. Good thing BW was doing maintenance the following day or I would have been really po'd. Anyways Hubby buys new power supply and installs it. I'm patiently waiting for him to finish getting the thing together.

Hubby then says to me "ok babe, time to see if it works". He plug it in and hits the button and Wow!! a big blue spark for inside the computer. (he had the side off so I saw the whole thing) Hubby comments "thats not good". Hubby pulls the plug and commences pulling the guts out of my computer. I had to walk away.

20 min later hubby comes to me and shoves a part under my nose and says "you smell that?", "Ewwwww and Peee eeuuwww" was my response, "what is that? I ask. Hubby says "video card". Well 300.00 dollars later, Hubby has my computer working again 150.00 for the power supply and 150.00 for the Video Card.

If you have an older maching like mine, this game will tax the heck out of your computer. Its not the games fault. its old stuff like what I have / had

I had the exact same issue. If you have a desktop computer, try reollacting your RAM memory cards in different slots. Worked for me. And 9 out of 10 times, it's the RAM that fails.

What's interesting is the game works fine for me, zero lag, no memory leaks or anything, at yet at some points, it seems to really take a lot out of the computer. Poor optimization I'm guessing...