Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

I Always feel like TOR isn't actually based on the Original movies, but instead on the Holiday special, something star warsy, but completely 70s heteronormalised. Yet at least the Holiday Special has some hidden gems, like the
.. Where are the drags of TOR?

How are the relationships in TOR any more heterosexual than the ones in the original trilogy?

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are the relationships in TOR any more heterosexual than the ones in the original trilogy?

The point is that [Han]’s been consistently open about the fact that he loves [Leia], and she hasn’t been willing to admit it. He’s not saying ‘LOL - I know you do but I’m going to leave you hanging about how I feel’. She says ‘I love you’, in front of Vader, of all people, and he reassures her that he knew all along.

~I wanna talk about 'I love you/I know'

Not so much "heterosexual" as "heteronormative", but of course, Fabiyun could be talking about something entirely different.

Not so much "heterosexual" as "heteronormative", but of course, Fabiyun could be talking about something entirely different.

That might be... marginally better if implemented in TOR (although it strikes me that Quinn and Vector, at least, have rather nonstereotypical relationships), but it'd still be a minor fix at best.

I thought heteronormative refers to things being heterosexual, not how they are within that heterosexuality. Does that mean that straight relationships outside the stereotype of "man brings home the bacon, woman cleans the house" aren't heteronormative?

I thought heteronormative refers to things being heterosexual, not how they are within that heterosexuality. Does that mean that straight relationships outside the stereotype of "man brings home the bacon, woman cleans the house" aren't heteronormative?

Yes and no - in part it's also to do with gender roles, which you've mentioned. Yes, not every man is the breadwinner and not every woman is the homemaker, but there's still the expectations that the man will have higher wages, the woman will do more chores.

Also, that men are less emotional, or emotionally expressive; women moreso in both respects.

Yes and no - in part it's also to do with gender roles, which you've mentioned. Yes, not every man is the breadwinner and not every woman is the homemaker, but there's still the expectations that the man will have higher wages, the woman will do more chores.

Also, that men are less emotional, or emotionally expressive; women moreso in both respects.

Huh, I would have thought that there was another word for that and heteronormative would just refer to the expectation that everyone is straight and that's normal. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but it seems kind of odd to equate not filling traditional gender roles with being something other than heterosexual.

Huh, I would have thought that there was another word for that and heteronormative would just refer to the expectation that everyone is straight and that's normal. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but it seems kind of odd to equate not filling traditional gender roles with being something other than heterosexual.

Hmm, seems to be an evolution of the term - correctly it would be "heteronromative gender roles", which is something also foisted onto same-gender (or opposite-gender, non-heterosexual relationships), particularly when you end up with people asking "Who's the man/woman in the relationship?"

If that makes any sense.

Hmm, seems to be an evolution of the term - correctly it would be "heteronromative gender roles", which is something also foisted onto same-gender (or opposite-gender, non-heterosexual relationships), particularly when you end up with people asking "Who's the man/woman in the relationship?"

If that makes any sense.

I guess that makes sense, but I think the distinction is needed. Otherwise heteronormative becomes very narrow and almost useless as a category.

I'm still not sure there's a huge difference between sexuality in this game and in the movies, but there's only a couple relationships for comparison in the originals anyway.

I guess that makes sense, but I think the distinction is needed. Otherwise heteronormative becomes very narrow and almost useless as a category.

I'm still not sure there's a huge difference between sexuality in this game and in the movies, but there's only a couple relationships for comparison in the originals anyway.

True - hetreonormativity does still largely apply to the normalisation and normality of heterosexuality, and then you can have the different categories that come from that, that pertain to gender roles and how other relationships are viewed etc.

Ah, the game's so different from the films that I still don't see why people are trying to go with "but X wasn't in the films!" as a reason for why X shouldn't be in the game.

True - hetreonormativity does still largely apply to the normalisation and normality of heterosexuality, and then you can have the different categories that come from that, that pertain to gender roles and how other relationships are viewed etc.

Ah, the game's so different from the films that I still don't see why people are trying to go with "but X wasn't in the films!" as a reason for why X shouldn't be in the game.

It's not like the game is set several thousand years before the films...

(i saw someone on Korriban named something Palpatine-ish and i sent him a message to the effect of, "Don't worry, even though you'll never become Emperor it'll only take a bit over three thousand years before a Palpatine finally succeeds, so there's that.")

Eric posted some info on patch 2.6 over in the general forms. Shockingly (!!!) there's little content-related beyond GSF.

GSF and some class updating. Wowies. I've sent him some PMs on our topic and guess what, no replies.

(I recently went on a comic book binge, got four for Christmas (nearly forty quid D: ), and now I want more ._. The Movement Vol. 1 comes out in June, unnnghhh... but I can tell you what, it has a damn sight more LGBT+ representation than this game (or anything else the Austin writers will ever produce) has.)

Anyway, near year and all that crap. Anyone not on Musco's "delete now, ignore forever" list what to give it a shot?

This is really sad... I was proud when the character I RP as gay could finally do this. Too bad there isn't more for him in the game beyond that... What's Bioware waiting for? Time to stop pleasing the PVE and PVP only people and cater to those who want more class and companion stories.

So glad I found this forum so I can bump it up as well as participate in it.

So glad I found this forum so I can bump it up as well as participate in it.

Nice to see new faces :)

Also, we have no idea what Bioware are waiting for. Mostly because they refuse to say a damn thing. Or acknowledge that this threads exists.

We could be talking about the next Avengers film for all they know.

They did make the story "Avengers-style" going forward, after all.

And by "Avengers-style", they mean repetitive and one-size-fits-all. Remember how the Avengers didn't show different characters tackling different objectives with unique mentality? Because melee-tank Hulk would clearly be doing the exact same missions and approach as ranged-DPS Hawkeye. (Can't wait to see Avengers 4:Makeb, where it's just the same 28-minute sequence, repeated while the actors line up on-screen to take turns punching Baron Zemo.)

Nice to see new faces :)

Also, we have no idea what Bioware are waiting for. Mostly because they refuse to say a damn thing. Or acknowledge that this threads exists.

We could be talking about the next Avengers film for all they know.

The Next Avengers film should be about... Why there aren't more SGRs in the Marvel universe as a whole :D!

The Next Avengers film should be about... Why there aren't more SGRs in the Marvel universe as a whole :D!

Shippers would be all over that, with their Hulkeye and their Captain Man. Still only dudes though. Natasha would get no love.

Also, Avengers was less Makeb-style than Hood says it was - yeah, they were all beating up the big bad at the same fight, but they did it different ways. Black Widow actually got **** done while Iron Man played around with the giant Necron.

Shippers would be all over that, with their Hulkeye and their Captain Man. Still only dudes though. Natasha would get no love.

Also, Avengers was less Makeb-style than Hood says it was - yeah, they were all beating up the big bad at the same fight, but they did it different ways. Black Widow actually got **** done while Iron Man played around with the giant Necron.

Yeah - I can see the Smuggler offering a drink to the Big Bad, but my Trooper wouldn't bother talking. JC would be picking at his robe, since "There's no chance of diplomacy in this, why am I even here? ...And don't say Avengers-style."

Meanwhile, Kaliyo would break onto the Knight's ship again, to hit up Kira.

"Oh c'mon, we can totally both fit in one of those bunks!"

"Hey, I'd love to... but I can't, for some reason."

"Yeah... me too. Apparently my blueprint says 'Tab A in Slot B only'."

So does anyone headcanon that they're in a relationship with someone even if the game doesn't precisely show it?

This'd be easier with Ashara if it weren't for the bizarre fact that female characters are incapable of giving her gifts above level one.

So does anyone headcanon that they're in a relationship with someone even if the game doesn't precisely show it?

This'd be easier with Ashara if it weren't for the bizarre fact that female characters are incapable of giving her gifts above level one.

My imperial agent is with Vector head canon wise, and officially in game he's technically with Lord Cytharat. Poor Crimsèn, he only got one kiss officially... I hope he was paying attention as lord knows my FRAPS camera was :D.

Yeah, my female agent is with Kaliyo. "you and me agent" "don't get all needy on me"

The rest of my toons are male, not that I'm adverse to two guys in a relationship, but none of them in game really seem that fitting.

Perhaps the warrior, I could see him hitting from both sides of the plate. Though if he were with Quinn, without spoiling anything, I don't think it would be a pleasurable experience for Quinn. :p Pierce is cool but he'd be more of a friend with benefits rather than relationship material. Two buff body type 3's getting on in the showers once in a while after a tough mission but aside from that I can't see much in the way of 'caring' for each other like two people in a relationship.