Same gender romance discussion

CommunitySupport

Insults arent necessary or within the limits of the TOS, let the Devs decide if they are willing to consider my request. Please be nice and not disrespect my point of view. Tolerance should also be shown from both sides, I didnt ask for said content to be removed, just for the option to block it, like we can bad language in chats. I have no ill will towards the people of this community, enjoy the game and all it offers.

You misunderstand. It wasn't an insult. It was an observation.

Preaching tolerance while asking for a way to filter out content that reflects a lifestyle you find 'offensive' and comparing it to bad language and blood/gore is hilarious, by the way. The rest of the world won't bend to fit into line with your antiquated views. Better get used to it.

Not everyone is, surely you would understand this. If you valued equality, you can see this isnt an irrational request, since it would still provide a welcoming service to one type of customer without taking from another.

How about this; we block all heterosexual content as well? ;)

Edited by Mevan

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You misunderstand. It wasn't an insult. It was an observation.

Preaching tolerance while asking for a way to filter out content that reflects a lifestyle you find 'offensive' and comparing it to bad language and blood/gore is hilarious, by the way. The rest of the world won't bend to fit into line with your antiquated views. Better get used to it.

How about this; we block all heterosexual content as well? ;)

I used language and blood since they are the traditional complaint, other players who enjoyed bad language and seeing blood, or where not offended by said content, would mock them and give the same arguments some of you have. But the Devs back then where willing to listen to the customers, minority or otherwise because a paying customer is still a paying customer. I have the same hope that Devs haven't changed and are willing to hear me out.

Why is it such an issue for you, adding it wouldnt change anything for you??

lol, your right I've said my peace, I leave it there and wait to see what the Devs say on it. =^.^=

Their answer will be "no," like it has been every single time it's been raised - which is about every ten pages per thread in every iteration of this thread.

Edited by Cythereal

Why is it such an issue for you, adding it wouldnt change anything for you??

Because adding it is a waste of time and resources to satisfy a small group of people who are either frustrated by their own sexuality or have been raised to be mindlessly intolerant. Adding it validates those shortcomings. They're not valid, and they don't have any place in a civilised society.

Because adding it is a waste of time and resources to satisfy a small group of people who are either frustrated by their own sexuality or have been raised to be mindlessly intolerant. Adding it validates those shortcomings. They're not valid, and they don't have any place in a civilised society.

I'm sorry, I believe you mistook this thread for the underside of a bridge with passing billy goats to menace.

Its a request ive made to the company. To phobe sling is uncalled for!

EDIT: I also issued my reason for it, its not because i dont like a decal design or saber color...as in a minor complaint. Its something i consider offensive, and would like option to be able to block it if at all possible, so thats why I asked.

Amazing... not clicking a chat button is too much hard work, so you need it done for you. But I'll play along, and demand a character selection screen toggle to disable any LS options for my next Sith toon so I can max out DS points. And my RP backstory for my Cyborg toon had his dangle-bag shot off, in the explosion that caused him to get metal parts - so I should be able to disable every kind of Flirt, regardless of how much crappy placeholder dialogue BW have to make to fill the gaps.

lol, your right I've said my peace, I leave it there and wait to see what the Devs say on it. =^.^=

You're obviously not familiar with BioWare as a company. They won't make a toggle like that. The only reason SWtOR had only straight characters in the initial 1-50 content is because of restriction imposed by LucasArts. Those restrictions are now gone (maybe because of Disney buying the rights). Here's a quote from John Epler on people requesting the same thing for Dragon Age:

Not going to happen.

We are not going to support the viewpoint that same sex content is something to be avoided. I don't even know what the romances are going to be at this point, but I feel entirely comfortable in stating that, as always, the way to avoid that sort of content will be to tell a character 'I'm not interested'.

I can't say much about DA3, but I -can- tell you that this is not on the table, nor will it ever be.

Various BioWare devs on different teams have said the same things. If you don't want to do a same sex romance, don't hit the "flirt" option. There are exactly zero same sex love interests that make the first move on you (vs tons of opposite sex companions and NPCs that blatantly hit on the player). You're clearly also new to SWtOR as a game and I would suggest that it is not the game for you. This game includes torture, prostitution, slavery, murder, murder of innocents, genocide and more. If you think the possibility that you may choose to have your lady kiss another lady is so frightening, you will probably suffer serious trauma at all of the horrible things in the game.

I mean, I really don't care at all about adding gay romance into the story or keeping it out. Either way, its just a game and I'm cool with it. I will say it makes me kind of chuckle at the realism of the game when you do add it, because you'd essentially have to assume everyone in the Star Wars Universe (or everyone you meet, anyway) is bisexual. To me, that just isn't realistic.

I will say it makes me kind of chuckle at the realism of the game when you do add it, because you'd essentially have to assume everyone in the Star Wars Universe (or everyone you meet, anyway) is bisexual. To me, that just isn't realistic.

Eh not really....you are free to assume what you like ofcourse, but having s/s characters doesn't make them (seem) any more bisexual than the straight 1-50 ones:) The female character character that romances Lana doesn't know that Lana will romance males unless she tells you (your char) or you find in some other way. Same deal with males and Koth for example....

Eh not really....you are free to assume what you like ofcourse, but having s/s characters doesn't make them (seem) any more bisexual than the straight 1-50 ones:) The female character character that romances Lana doesn't know that Lana will romance males unless she tells you (your char) or you find in some other way. Same deal with males and Koth for example....

With that logic, we can say there are plenty of gay characters, you just don't know because you never ask. :p Your female smuggler didn't flirt with any females because she didn't want too (she didn't want to because of the limit of the chat choices).

Since people in this thread assumed there must be only one gay person (their PC...I say their PC because you are not your character) in the SW universe at first because that's what they liked to say because there was no option to flirt with the same sex, one can now only go with the idea that there are many bisexual, because they can flirt with both genders of PCs except for one Pureblood and a Zakuul knight.

With that logic, we can say there are plenty of gay characters, you just don't know one can now only go with the idea that there are many bisexual, because they can flirt with both genders of PCs except for one Pureblood and a Zakuul knight.

Who is the Zakuul Knight that is a flirt for only one gender?

Its a request ive made to the company. To phobe sling is uncalled for!

EDIT: I also issued my reason for it, its not because i dont like a decal design or saber color...as in a minor complaint. Its something i consider offensive, and would like option to be able to block it if at all possible, so thats why I asked.

As has been stated by bioware many times, it's against the TOS to all for a block or toggle, because it is considered a form of discrimination. So, you're request will be thrown out and you still be warned at least, banned at best. I suggest you you just put your adult pants on and stop trolling, and just not pick the flirt options.

As has been stated by bioware many times, it's against the TOS to all for a block or toggle, because it is considered a form of discrimination. So, you're request will be thrown out and you still be warned at least, banned at best. I suggest you you just put your adult pants on and stop trolling, and just not pick the flirt options.

No.

Asking for a toggle, while it may or may not be implemented as a result, is not 'a form of discrimination' by any stretch of the imagination. Nor can it be claimed to be such. Sexuality, like violence, blood, bad language and things of that nature, falls under the umbrella of mature content that can result in requiring parental controls. As such it is a very valid request. One which many online games already have implemented. Need I point out that this game is accessible to those 13 and older. A company has to be careful about what minors are exposed to, as parental complaints regarding minors can get ugly real quickly.

That being said, the idea of a company trying anything as stupid as accusing anyone of 'discrimination,' let alone warning or banning someone for asking for a parental control for mature content, is absurd. That is the kind of thing that gets a company in all kinds of trouble. Start throwing false accusations of discrimination and sanctioning accounts because someone asked for a parental control regarding mature content and see how fast that customer reports you to the state attorney general and for violations of consumer protection laws, among other things.

Now, thats not to say that they would bother to implement a toggle, but to claim bioware would be so foolish as take any kind of negative action against a customer for making a legitimate request for one, particularly one that could very easily get them into serious legal trouble, is all kinds of crazy.

No.

Sexuality, like violence, blood, bad language and things of that nature, falls under the umbrella of mature content that can result in requiring parental controls. As such it is a very valid request.

Ah, a toggle for sexually oriented content, ok, as in a request for parental control (in context, no flirting at all). A toggle specifically / exclusively for homosexually oriented content is not ok, as it would separate (discriminate) homosexually oriented dialogue.

One which many online games already have implemented. Need I point out that this game is accessible to those 13 and older.
If the flirting that is going in non-same-gender dialogue is acceptable for 13+ then the very same flirting in same-gender exchanges is ok.

A company has to be careful about what minors are exposed to, as parental complaints regarding minors can get ugly real quickly.
If you feel sexually oriented dialogue is inappropriate, all sexually oriented content should be inappropriate. If you feel only homosexually oriented dialogue is inappropriate then you are in fact, discriminating.

That being said, the idea of a company trying anything as stupid as accusing anyone of 'discrimination,' let alone warning or banning someone for asking for a parental control for mature content, is absurd.
The problem is not that he asked for a toggle to disable all romantic dialogue options but that he requests a toggle specifically for same-sex romantic dialogue options.

Also, he did not request a parental control, it was from himself.

Start throwing false accusations of discrimination and sanctioning accounts because someone asked for a parental control regarding mature content and see how fast that customer reports you to the state attorney general and for violations of consumer protection laws, among other things.
It's not a false accusation. Not that I think people should be banned for requesting these things at all, but taking actions against these kind of posts would be warranted.

Need I point out that this game is accessible to those 13 and older. A company has to be careful about what minors are exposed to, as parental complaints regarding minors can get ugly real quickly.

I always find it hilarious when people start going "WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" for PG-13 content. Have you ever met a thirteen year old? Trust me, they know what sex is, and they know gay people exist. And if they don't I'm sure they have parents who won't let them play this game anyway, because if they play a game with space magic the devil will claim their souls or something.

Snip~

I appreciate it. But i dont think they will listen.

If the dialogue had been according to my beliefs, i imagine they would be asking for the same block of content, if not for the total removal of it! But they wouldnt of been as nice to ask for it. because to them, that would be considered offensive...they arent shy to word things to make you feel subhuman. :/

Edited by CatStar

Hmmm. TOR includes player opportunities to indulge in racism, torture, wanton murder, slavery, destroying inhabited worlds, and rape.

And somehow it's the gays you're worried are inappropriate for your children. Children who may very well be gay themselves.

Get over yourselves.

No.

Asking for a toggle, while it may or may not be implemented as a result, is not 'a form of discrimination' by any stretch of the imagination. Nor can it be claimed to be such. Sexuality, like violence, blood, bad language and things of that nature, falls under the umbrella of mature content that can result in requiring parental controls. As such it is a very valid request. One which many online games already have implemented. Need I point out that this game is accessible to those 13 and older. A company has to be careful about what minors are exposed to, as parental complaints regarding minors can get ugly real quickly.

That being said, the idea of a company trying anything as stupid as accusing anyone of 'discrimination,' let alone warning or banning someone for asking for a parental control for mature content, is absurd. That is the kind of thing that gets a company in all kinds of trouble. Start throwing false accusations of discrimination and sanctioning accounts because someone asked for a parental control regarding mature content and see how fast that customer reports you to the state attorney general and for violations of consumer protection laws, among other things.

Now, thats not to say that they would bother to implement a toggle, but to claim bioware would be so foolish as take any kind of negative action against a customer for making a legitimate request for one, particularly one that could very easily get them into serious legal trouble, is all kinds of crazy.

All they want is a toggle to turn off SGR, that's what people like you and the commenter are asking for. That's discrimination because you're not asking for the romance content to just be turned off. This kind of toggle has been asked for with regards to same gender romance in swtor since forever and bioware has said clearly asking for it is discriminatory and against the TOS. It has nothing to do with parental controls. If you don't like it, go take it up with them. But that would be a waste of time as they've said Z

And since bioware owns the forum, and the game, and you don't they're the ones who get to make the rules. If you don't like them, I suggest you go make your own so you can make the rules yourself.

Hmmm. TOR includes player opportunities to indulge in racism, torture, wanton murder, slavery, destroying inhabited worlds, and rape.

And somehow it's the gays you're worried are inappropriate for your children. Children who may very well be gay themselves.

Get over yourselves.

Wow, I don't think I did that quest. That's a bit terrifying.

If you feel sexually oriented dialogue is inappropriate, all sexually oriented content should be inappropriate. If you feel only homosexually oriented dialogue is inappropriate then you are in fact, discriminating.

This.

And somehow it's the gays you're worried are inappropriate for your children.

Quoted for truth. It's pretty much impossible to get through the game without a certain amount of death and destruction. It's perfectly possible to avoid same-gender romance -- by not picking those flirt options.