Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game #2

EricMusco

Of cause they would never ever say they cancel it, but for me this is close enough.

While it may be close enough it's not an official cancelling. So there's always the hope that they'll add it in later, or that any new companions moving forward will be SGR capable.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really excited about the addition of more companion character activities. I'm happy to see that some SGR content has been added into the game and respect the coding challenges associated with introducing SGR companions. Will the new story content mean that I will have 8 unique stories to follow?

I was wondering if its possible to play a seprate character on a seprate server without losing the other characters progress it has also started getting hard to play so please add some new servers if you can Edited by Inveteratus

I love how this is somehow now purported to be a "BW priority" by some here, people decrying that, while actually it's the fourth point on the list, and hasn't been addressed in months.

Grow up, people. Honestly.

Oh boo hoo..So many of us have an opinion you don't like so you tell us to grow up? I believe SGR has been pushed by a very vocal minority[/u], not the majority of players. Now am I going to quit the game over it? Of course not but I have a right to voice my dissatisfaction with it. I don't mind some minor dialogue options being added, but it really should not go any farther than that imo. Why do people even want such a controversial subject put in this game? Single Player Rpg? FIne. But in a mmo setting this can just lead to more hate.

Hello again Jeff,

This piece will be about open-world PvP but some foreword is needed so I'll start from far away.

It is common knowledge that a good work of art should address at least five of the basic nine emotions: tranquility, love, laughter, compassion, heroism, wonder, anger, fear, disgust. The idea was pioneered in Western culture by JD Salinger in his Nine Stories, while in Oriental art, especially in Indian, it has been an axiom for some 2000+ years already.

Some still art genres like photography or sculpture can in fact concentrate on as few as three of the nine and still remain art per se. As opposed to that extensive works like movies or literature strive to have the spectator experience all nine and several times each. While I'm certainly not saying that including all nine is a guarantee of critical acclaim it is worth noting that by doing so you can usually avoid being outright boring.

Since SW:TOR is undoubtedly a work of art and an extensive one, I can't help noticing that there is very little humor and fear in the game, most of the storyline is concentrated around love, anger, tranquility and bravery. Those who have played Jedi stories find them dull and boring since they are mostly stripped of anger and disgust. The Sith ones are livelier for the same reason, and the only storyline that had really funny jokes in it was the smuggler story. Yes, and I have yet to experience any fear in the game at all.

In my humble opinion this is the one of the core reasons for players to lose interest and quit the game after a couple of months' play: lack of humor and lack of fear. Let us see how these issues could be addressed in an economical yet functional way.

Laughter is the easy part, in fact the problem has been solved already by game events that let players play tricks and practical jokes on one another. I loved the rakghoul event for the given opportunity to fly to Tython and infect a ton of unsuspecting newbs with the plague or just to explode into green goo in a heroic area for imps and send the whole imp party scrambling for vaccine. I still do retain an infected character on my account, in hopes that one fine day the plague will become contagious again.

There are other, less practical but still funny events that will still produce a healthy player laugh. One example is the WoW Valentine Day event (or is it Easter, I'm not sure) when players could buy a special weapon (a flower bouquet) that could be used on any player to decorate them with temporary bunny ears (now I think it was Easter). Orcs with bunny ears looked hilarious and this is my most positive memory about WoW. In EVE online, a generally dark and fearful world, the fun part is generally found in smack talk in Local chat (approximate equivalent of General) especially in low-security pirate systems. Some EVE players also consider funny the occasional killings of game developer invasion fleets but opinions vary here (I have CCP Alice's frozen corpse in my collection though). Still I think that SW:TOR devs can create a fun event every six or eight weeks and that would solve the problem. Valentine day and Easter are coming, guys, and GWL, Jr birthday is on May 14. Be creative.

Fear, the other big absentee, is also essential for player interest. One of the easiest way to induce a sense of fear is by making people risk, and humans love risk, they only differ on the required dosage of this adrenal. With this fear issue though I fear that my proposals could hit a major Bioware corporate no-no.

It all centers around risk you see. It is not really risk if you can't lose anything as opposed to winning. And losing time or stuff or (oh noes) gear leads to Player Whine about Gameplay. And Player Whine about Gameplay is a corporate no-no for Bioware. This is an overcatious attitude, to be completely honest (the company had next to none time to gain professionalism here).

Let me outline it: a modest amount of whine about things occurring in game is a sign of game health. It means that players are hooked and want the to see improvement rather than quit. Of course the customer service should be on guard to solve the issues that really need solving like trapped or stuck characters or vanished items. But problems like "this guy cheated me an took my gear" or "won't return my 10 million credits" or "is trolling my channel with provocative language" in my opinion hardly need any administrative action at all. Because it is the dark emotion that the player in fact needs. It means he enjoys the game. Let me repeat that in a slightly different way: no whine about gameplay means they are quitting out of zero interest.

Now the constructive part: I have a suggestion about zoning and production of fear and risk. There is one such place in the game already: the Outlaws Den on Tatooine. The territory that falls under such rules should be enlarged and such zones should be arranged on all existing planets, PvP between same-faction parties should be available there too.

The easiest way to lure players inside these areas should be via abundance of resource nodes. It should become common knowledge that collecting resources in safe zones is nerfed and is dull and tedious while in free-PvP areas it is lucrative but risky. A correct balance of fear and greed and you'll be amazed by the results, I think.

Venturing into these areas should be optional for storyline or planet quest completion but mandatory for opening the full map. An unconnected optional heroic could also be moved inside the area. Whine about "I got killed collecting laminoid" or "these 50s gank us and we can't complete the mission" will be a sign of success. This is fear and risk, produced on a small scale.

One step further into the field of fear would be to make the killed player lootable. Say, for like 15 seconds the killing party can loot any inventory items excluding gear off the fallen player. All my gathered bio samples and medpacks...

The ultimate terror could be produced by an area with highly valued rare resources and lootable gear. May Revan save us of these nightmares... Still if everyone sees a big red warning on entry... To lose a full Rakata set... Oh noes... The concept works well in EVE online and Entropia Universe though.

Well, it is up to you guys, of course, how to use these ideas and wether to use them at all. What about me, I'm opting for "cheese" with this whine.

Hello again Jeff,

This piece will be about open-world PvP but some foreword is needed so I'll start from far away.

It is common knowledge that a good work of art should address at least five of the basic nine emotions: tranquility, love, laughter, compassion, heroism, wonder, anger, fear, disgust. The idea was pioneered in Western culture by JD Salinger in his Nine Stories, while in Oriental art, especially in Indian, it has been an axiom for some 2000+ years already.

Some still art genres like photography or sculpture can in fact concentrate on as few as three of the nine and still remain art per se. As opposed to that extensive works like movies or literature strive to have the spectator experience all nine and several times each. While I'm certainly not saying that including all nine is a guarantee of critical acclaim it is worth noting that by doing so you can usually avoid being outright boring.

Since SW:TOR is undoubtedly a work of art and an extensive one, I can't help noticing that there is very little humor and fear in the game, most of the storyline is concentrated around love, anger, tranquility and bravery. Those who have played Jedi stories find them dull and boring since they are mostly stripped of anger and disgust. The Sith ones are livelier for the same reason, and the only storyline that had really funny jokes in it was the smuggler story. Yes, and I have yet to experience any fear in the game at all.

In my humble opinion this is the one of the core reasons for players to lose interest and quit the game after a couple of months' play: lack of humor and lack of fear. Let us see how these issues could be addressed in an economical yet functional way.

Laughter is the easy part, in fact the problem has been solved already by game events that let players play tricks and practical jokes on one another. I loved the rakghoul event for the given opportunity to fly to Tython and infect a ton of unsuspecting newbs with the plague or just to explode into green goo in a heroic area for imps and send the whole imp party scrambling for vaccine. I still do retain an infected character on my account, in hopes that one fine day the plague will become contagious again.

There are other, less practical but still funny events that will still produce a healthy player laugh. One example is the WoW Valentine Day event (or is it Easter, I'm not sure) when players could buy a special weapon (a flower bouquet) that could be used on any player to decorate them with temporary bunny ears (now I think it was Easter). Orcs with bunny ears looked hilarious and this is my most positive memory about WoW. In EVE online, a generally dark and fearful world, the fun part is generally found in smack talk in Local chat (approximate equivalent of General) especially in low-security pirate systems. Some EVE players also consider funny the occasional killings of game developer invasion fleets but opinions vary here (I have CCP Alice's frozen corpse in my collection though). Still I think that SW:TOR devs can create a fun event every six or eight weeks and that would solve the problem. Valentine day and Easter are coming, guys, and GWL, Jr birthday is on May 14. Be creative.

Fear, the other big absentee, is also essential for player interest. One of the easiest way to induce a sense of fear is by making people risk, and humans love risk, they only differ on the required dosage of this adrenal. With this fear issue though I fear that my proposals could hit a major Bioware corporate no-no.

It all centers around risk you see. It is not really risk if you can't lose anything as opposed to winning. And losing time or stuff or (oh noes) gear leads to Player Whine about Gameplay. And Player Whine about Gameplay is a corporate no-no for Bioware. This is an overcatious attitude, to be completely honest (the company had next to none time to gain professionalism here).

Let me outline it: a modest amount of whine about things occurring in game is a sign of game health. It means that players are hooked and want the to see improvement rather than quit. Of course the customer service should be on guard to solve the issues that really need solving like trapped or stuck characters or vanished items. But problems like "this guy cheated me an took my gear" or "won't return my 10 million credits" or "is trolling my channel with provocative language" in my opinion hardly need any administrative action at all. Because it is the dark emotion that the player in fact needs. It means he enjoys the game. Let me repeat that in a slightly different way: no whine about gameplay means they are quitting out of zero interest.

Now the constructive part: I have a suggestion about zoning and production of fear and risk. There is one such place in the game already: the Outlaws Den on Tatooine. The territory that falls under such rules should be enlarged and such zones should be arranged on all existing planets, PvP between same-faction parties should be available there too.

The easiest way to lure players inside these areas should be via abundance of resource nodes. It should become common knowledge that collecting resources in safe zones is nerfed and is dull and tedious while in free-PvP areas it is lucrative but risky. A correct balance of fear and greed and you'll be amazed by the results, I think.

Venturing into these areas should be optional for storyline or planet quest completion but mandatory for opening the full map. An unconnected optional heroic could also be moved inside the area. Whine about "I got killed collecting laminoid" or "these 50s gank us and we can't complete the mission" will be a sign of success. This is fear and risk, produced on a small scale.

One step further into the field of fear would be to make the killed player lootable. Say, for like 15 seconds the killing party can loot any inventory items excluding gear off the fallen player. All my gathered bio samples and medpacks...

The ultimate terror could be produced by an area with highly valued rare resources and lootable gear. May Revan save us of these nightmares... Still if everyone sees a big red warning on entry... To lose a full Rakata set... Oh noes... The concept works well in EVE online and Entropia Universe though.

Well, it is up to you guys, of course, how to use these ideas and wether to use them at all. What about me, I'm opting for "cheese" with this whine.

I think im going to start a petiton.... Merera for developer. Those were some amazing ideas. Like for Outlaws Den I go there often and theres hardly ever anyone there. If there was something to draw them in(loot,gear,major exp, etc.) It may actully get active.

Oh boo hoo..So many of us have an opinion you don't like so you tell us to grow up? I believe SGR has been pushed by a very vocal minority[/u], not the majority of players. Now am I going to quit the game over it? Of course not but I have a right to voice my dissatisfaction with it. I don't mind some minor dialogue options being added, but it really should not go any farther than that imo. Why do people even want such a controversial subject put in this game? Single Player Rpg? FIne. But in a mmo setting this can just lead to more hate.

Because for the majority of us it's not a controversial issue, it's simply more options to choose from. The only way for that to be fair is if your relationships also didn't go past a few minor dialogue options, then that would be what everyone gets.

Do we know if the world events like the Rakghoul plague and the grand acquisition will return? I liked those and I liked the rewards they offered. I would like to see more events like that other MMO's I play offer festivals and other season quests and rewards that many players enjoy and look forward to. I could even see an event wrapped around the pod races, or the emperors birthday what it is matters little compared to the opportunity for new game content and end game items such as emotes, titles, and unique gear .

I'd be interested in seeing mini-games... like Sabacc where you can bet money (in game items, coin, and what not) against other players. It would keep us occupied for hours if several good "Card" games were introduced online.

Interesting...but come on people, what's more important? Fixing bugs and adding new and exciting content or having the option of SGR. This should not be a high priority at all, hell I would even rather have them focus on "chat bubbles" and "hood toggle" both of which would not affect me much, but would be better for the game itself.

I understand this is something that was "promised" but why do we even need it in this game? Go play Mass effect if you want that, I don't think it belongs in Star Wars.

You don't think that Same Gender Romances don't belong in Star Wars!? I'm sorry but that makes me laugh. Just because there weren't any same gender romances shown in the Star Wars films doesn't mean that it doesn't belong in Star Wars. How is it ok for Mass Effect to have same gender romances..but its not ok for Star Wars? Please explain this to me..and don't say "Because its not in the movies or any of the tv shows." Because that's a very weak reason. Just because something like that wasn't shown or even mentioned in any of the films or books..doesn't mean that same gender romances don't exist in the Star Wars lore and or Universe. I highly doubt that something as minor as having same gender romance options in this game is going to ruin it.

Yeah and SGRs make sense in SW universe?!?! Call me old fashioned and old, but I would rather see some good world PVP than my female powertech making out with Mako...

Yes SGRs DOES make sense in the SW universe...why doesn't it make sense? And DON'T say, because it isn't in the movies or books! Because that's just weak. Just because something like isn't mentioned in the films or books..does not mean that Same Gender romances don't exist in Star Wars.

While I agree with everyone that I'd rather see some other features put into the game before SGRs..stuff like a barber shop option , bug fixes and more class related content. I don't mind SGRs being put into the game..after all it just allows people another way to play their characters. Besides I'm sure that there are some people that play this game that are of the same gender orientation that would want SGR options in this game to make them feel like they have the option rather than being forced in to different gender romances.

You don't think that Same Gender Romances don't belong in Star Wars!? I'm sorry but that makes me laugh. Just because there weren't any same gender romances shown in the Star Wars films doesn't mean that it doesn't belong in Star Wars. How is it ok for Mass Effect to have same gender romances..but its not ok for Star Wars? Please explain this to me..and don't say "Because its not in the movies or any of the tv shows." Because that's a very weak reason. Just because something like that wasn't shown or even mentioned in any of the films or books..doesn't mean that same gender romances don't exist in the Star Wars lore and or Universe. I highly doubt that something as minor as having same gender romance options in this game is going to ruin it.

Ha what? Don't think that they don't belong? That doesn't even make any sense. Secondly, It is my OPINION that is has no place in Star Wars. And thirdly, if there hasn't been any SGR in Star Wars before, why does it suddenly need it now? People can claim it's not controversial all they want but it obviously does stir up tensions and arguments.

Yes SGRs DOES make sense in the SW universe...why doesn't it make sense? And DON'T say, because it isn't in the movies or books! Because that's just weak. Just because something like isn't mentioned in the films or books..does not mean that Same Gender romances don't exist in Star Wars.

No it does not make sense, it would if the game was based off that tv show with the singing club..........