Article on F2P

EATtheDEAD

Between the annoying grind and the recycled content -- another one of those annoying MMORPG tropes -- the game's single player content ended up being even less fun than a normal single player game,

Bingo. If they wanted to make a single player game, they should of just made a single player game. Not a single player experience wrapped in an un-necessary MMO. Hell, they could of even put in multiplayer and still had the multiplayer focused flashpoints and PVP, but had an all around better game.

I think there's a lot of people who would of rather just gotten KOTOR III

I'm enjoying the game. Don't understand why so many haters stick around. If you don't like it don't play it. If you are playing it, that means their is some appeal for it, and it will last a hell of a lot longer in replay value then any single player game.

Some people have no confidence in themselves and constantly search the Internet for self validation.

The article writer is a particular hater on the Free 2 Play model, just read what else he wrote.

Also a lot of stuff on that page seem to be before the change to hotbar character slots for f2p/preferred players, not really sure why hes saying he need to pay 180$ to unlock everything, the same thing happen in dcuo, lotro or sto (which is way worse since its random box with endgame ship..).

He need to get some perspective before whining about stuff.

Edited by ElitehunterDS

Pretty standard. SWToR's F2P model is not particularly good, most of the Internet has realized this. That said, the Internet is also rife with misinformation about it, something BW is largely responsible for.

For instance, he says you need to be subbed to get quest rewards. That sounds ridiculously punitive, and it would be if it were true. But it's just credit box quest rewards that are only available to subscribers. (That's pretty ridiculous too at first glance. Presumably it's done to make things harder for gold farmers, but if you didn't know that, it would seem petty, stupid and counterproductive.)

He also says that a F2P model should strive to milk existing subscribers, without realizing that that's exactly what's going on.

Free players still have the quickbar restriction (it was only relaxed for Preferred players), so that continues to be relevant, though.

Edited by Guancyto

I dont know...sure it was a bit harsh, but not really over the top.

I don't agree with everything he said, but overall I understand his view. I'm still unsure about the weekly unlocks and high prices for some items, but I'm going to reserve judgement until I find out if the amount of people playing has jumped and has REMAINED STABLE.

If that is the case it is set up exactly as it needs to be. Otherwise the prices need to drop. The market will correct itself over time.

A new article has been written about SWTOR's transition to F2P and more, check it out for yourself. Though be warned if you are easily offended you should probably not read it, the author does not pull any punches.

http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/183525/the_burning_of_star_wars_the_old_.php

Did you.. just go make a blog website.. and publish an article under an alias... So you could whinge MORE about the game.

Seriously though, let me put the question to you - why should we care what some blogger think's. BW probably didn't respond to an ingame ticket of his so this is his way of 'getting them back'.

YOU SHOWED THEM BLOGGER.

YOU. SHOWED. THEM.

Edited by Nanglez

Did you.. just go make a blog website.. and publish an article under an alias... So you could whinge MORE about the game.

Seriously though, let me put the question to you - why should we care what some blogger think's. BW probably didn't respond to an ingame ticket of his so this is his way of 'getting them back'.

YOU SHOWED THEM BLOGGER.

YOU. SHOWED. THEM.

ROFL yes..... I wrote that article and I work for Gamasutra lol... you caught me Columbo!

The entire article was less a dissection of SWTORs' F2P model and more just random hating.

The only thing it really got right was:

SWTOR's "end-game" was anemic at best, especially compared to the well-received storyline content. Surprise, surprise; most of the people who paid for the game didn't continue subscribing after playing through the story once or twice.

But then rather than follow through with analysis on the F2P it just spirals off into a mountain of ****.

ROFL yes..... I wrote that article and I work for Gamasutra lol... you caught me Columbo!

Lol, aren't conspiracy theories the best?

There's no paid effort to take down this game.

Well, there is, insofar as the guys at BWEU are getting paid. Fine. There's no external paid effort to take down this game.

I'm enjoying the game. Don't understand why so many haters stick around. If you don't like it don't play it. If you are playing it, that means their is some appeal for it, and it will last a hell of a lot longer in replay value then any single player game.

Many of these people who sign to a product's forum and then start bashing the product, do this on behalf of some competitor. This isn't a particular issue with computer games, it's an internet thing that has been establishing itself more and more lately.

There are different templates that these fellows use. The easyest one is to start a topic about an existing issue (e.g. SGR in SWTOR) and then to keep writing provocatory stuff. Sooner or later someone will start bashing the product and then things will go round in circles on their own.

Another one follows a standard clause that goes "I've been using the product for years and I really, really love it, I'm this product's greatest fan" then goes "but even I have to admit that the product is unusable since [whatever, fill something in here]" then "it's a shame and makes me sad, but I will now quit and use product X instead cause it's a whole lot better" and then "bye bye, perhaps we meet over at product X, who knows, peace be with you etc."

The more I think about this kind of sly boots acting which happens for the sole purpose of surviving a meanwhile entirely darwinistic economy, the more I come to the conclusion that humans are the most stupid species on the planet.

Edited by Cretinus

Yet another unprofessional SW:TOR bashing article, that's been badly written and researched; and this guy is supposed to be a professional journalist; journalists everywhere should be ashamed that someone that writes a totally biased and unprofessional article like this is allowed the title of journalist.

The author never actually played the game and things he can make a review of it. If you're gonna link reviews at least link ones worth time it took to read. And I don't just mean reviews that say the game is amazing, I know people have different opinions, I just mean ones that are well written and don't smack of a spoilt little brat that has just had his favourite toy taken away from him.

If they gave up full refunds for the cost of the game and months subing, I bet they would disappear pretty fast. When people are sold crappy products, they tend to get pissed.

To the last part of your comment.....Just because a game puts in stupid daily grinds doesn't mean the replay isn't any better than a single player game.

Lol if you worked for Gamasutra I'd treat you to a free beer for some game discussions. Columbo doesn't realize he just complimented you does he?

Moreover, I agree with the article, but am disappointed by the inaccuracies: you can receive mission rewards as a F2P, and you get 6 QBs as a preferred player.

Overall I've got some things to add:

1. Limiting F2P to 1 crew skill when they can't send mail is insane. Give them 2 skills, or the ability to mail their other toons. Call it a legacy benefit, or whatever, but change this.

2. Lower the weekly pass prices, people will buy more weekly passes if they don't get charged half a sub/month for them. Making someone pay $7.50 to do a couple extra space missions a month? Not cool, especially given the xp reduction.

Bingo. If they wanted to make a single player game, they should of just made a single player game. Not a single player experience wrapped in an un-necessary MMO. Hell, they could of even put in multiplayer and still had the multiplayer focused flashpoints and PVP, but had an all around better game.

I think there's a lot of people who would of rather just gotten KOTOR III

What this guy said.

I dont need to read it to know its another QQ i want the whole game for free QQ.

Its a F2P OPTION, its not F2P GAME. Its still a sub-based game. You are getting a pretty generous trial, that is all.

The game with its current shop support and 6 week patches is worth the sub price (+500 CC for free).

Edited by Nemmar

I just re-subbed for a month or two to play the game again, and I'm starting to feel a little bad for "The Old Republic," especially in light of the virtual dogpile actually making the Bioware heads resign. This was a great game with a few questionable design choices. I played the game for about 3 months straight last year, more than any game I've ever played in my life, and had a blast. Did all the heroic quests and flashpoints in teams, enjoyed the stories (the sith ones, anyway,) and now I'm coming back to invest another 100 hours (oh God.) I quit subscribing because it was too addictive, for God's sake.

I'm just not a "subscribing" player--I play Mass Effect 3 for a week and then maybe play it again a year later. Never played another MMO. I was their ideal player (looking for story,) and I loved it--I just didn't subscribe for years, since I don't do that. The game is still awesome. I've still paid them $130 in total for their supergame.

So they didn't quite crack whatever mojo makes WoW players subscribe for years. And their free to play model is a trap to show players how addictive and awesome the game is (which you might have missed if you're reading game journalism)--someone call the police.

The "haters" exist because they too really enjoy the game but are frustrated by the seemingly poor decisions made for it in the past year.

I, for one, wanted to play KOTOR many times over with different classes, and this delivers with WZs I think are also fun. I am still subscribed. Still, I am really frustrated at how cheap the quality control has become since 1.4's introduction. There are in-your-face distracting bugs almost everywhere you go.

Even the cartel market, what has arguably become the focus of the game, is coupled with preview screens so bugged I can't even view my companions. It also broke one of the most valued features since launch, color matching. It's ridiculous! And I actually like the game.

Most of the "haters" are still here because they too like the game and are saddened to see it falling apart with each new patch.

Edited by arunav

Why have so many trolls sticked around? To troll.

Haters hate because something in their lives are missing..or maybe something is wrong with them and love to attack a concept, etc. Not sure really.

Pretty much these are the people who I /facepalm at or maybe get my pity.

I read the article, hoping it was a critical look at F2play and, by extension, its knock-on effect for subscribers.

While there may be one, maybe two good points in it, it's wrapped up in such childish, trolley, flame-war inducing language that I eventually concluded it is an article without merit.

The author later posts to apologise for the innacuracies contained in it (there are several glaring ones), and to admit he was striving to emulate Jon Stewart (:confused:) with biting satire and sarcasm, and got it wrong.

He's no Jon Stewart, I'll say that much. All in all a waste of time. I'm sure there's better ways to spend 5 minutes, even on the internet.

Article is on the money and highlights the greed readily apparent behind F2P. F2P (a la carte purchases) is not a viable option in SWTOR. And the big problem here is -- if 2 million+ players that forked over up to $150 for the client were not willing to pay a subscription fee, how the hell does EA think a crippled version of the same game will do any better?

They don't. They just want to squeeze more money out of the already loyal subscribers.