Do You Think SWTOR Has Good High-Level Content?

dankat

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No

50 PvP sucks, if you are a new 50 you pretty much can't PvP and you can't go back to lower levels and get used to it or farm comms to gear up. Pretty much if you wanna PvP you have to start early otherwise its pointless (not to mention all the other issues with pvp in general).

Ops are nice but very hard to organize outside of a guild, so those that don't wanna join a guild will hate trying to run Ops. Either hang on the fleet for a couple hours "LFG ......" and hope you get a group that is geared and knows the run otherwise its a pain. GF sorta works but only for the two easiest Ops.

Flashpoints are pretty much useless at 50 for anything other then daily/weekly com runs and 90% of people skip as much of them as possible.

Daily areas are crowded and the coms given are outclassed by Ops gear anyway so all you really get is creds (which is then used to buy better gear then the coms give anyway).

Edited by Athena-Nike

For PVE, indeed I do. The Ops are great and the difficulty amps up as you progress through. TFB was a nice addition. But the problem is that there isn't quite enough. I would like to see more Ops added and not necessarily at the extreme end of the gear spectrum. I'd love to have as many OPs as we have FPs.

Part of the original plan for level 50 content in this game was Ilum. It would've been a place to see the faction war play out, and it offered PvE and PvP content. But as we know, there were many technical issues. It broke.

Now, it's about a year later, and we're being told there is a fix for Ilum on the horizon. Will it be epic? Based on recent releases, I'm guessing no, but I remain the eternal optimist.

Endgame is par for the course, but falls short of equaling the entries in the genre that focus completely on the endgame. In contradiction to this, the leveling experience is without equal, and probably will be for years to come. Why? Because, if anything, SW:TOR has taught the industry that a quality leveling experience with secondary consideration payed to the endgame is not a good thing. And that's sad.

Frankly, if EA had been sated by the success that SW:TOR was (and it was a substantial success, even during the content drought as the Cartel Shop was developed), unfazed by the inability of SW:TOR to topple WoW, which was an impossible expectation, and chose to focus on giving us more story content, playing to BioWare's strengths, the game would have reached much greater profitability than any Cartel Shop could give.

SW:TOR started out firmly entrenched in a niche, and that particular niche was quite large and unexplored. Post-release, it pandered to a flighty, generic playerbase that looks for the same thing in every game they play. That didn't work well.

No

50 PvP sucks, if you are a new 50 you pretty much can't PvP and you can't go back to lower levels and get used to it or farm comms to gear up. Pretty much if you wanna PvP you have to start early otherwise its pointless (not to mention all the other issues with pvp in general).

Ops are nice but very hard to organize outside of a guild, so those that don't wanna join a guild will hate trying to run Ops. Either hang on the fleet for a couple hours "LFG ......" and hope you get a group that is geared and knows the run otherwise its a pain. GF sorta works but only for the two easiest Ops.

Flashpoints are pretty much useless at 50 for anything other then daily/weekly com runs and 90% of people skip as much of them as possible.

Daily areas are crowded and the coms given are outclassed by Ops gear anyway so all you really get is creds (which is then used to buy better gear then the coms give anyway).

You definitely need to join a good guild if you wanna have fun in an MMO, otherwise it feels like a single player game. When the Ops get to HM or NiM its nearly impossible to do it with pugs and you need vent in order to tell people how to do the fights since you can wipe rather easily.

But end game Swtor to me is a fun distraction while I level up my other toons and its fun when you do Ops, PvP, HMs. NiM or Dailys with friends in your guild.

50 PvP is actually pretty good. Unfortunately, it's all WZ-based which gets tedious. Needs a mix of OPvP for a variety of fights and an additional avenue for gear progression.

Not a big fan of 50 SWTOR PvE. I did it on my first Main. FPs were a bit redundant, since I had already done most at lower levels, and the rewards blew. Ops were way too easy on normal mode and far too buggy on NM modes. Haven't been in a PvE Ops since KP was completed and have no desire to step in a new one since I primarily PvP anyway.

50 Dailies are horribly dull. I can't even do a Daily just for the cash they are so boring at this point, and Daily Comm rewards don't help me at all in PvP.

Honestly, I'm not sure what 50 PvErs really do. Aside from FPs, Ops or Dailies, there isn't much else to spend your time on.

I like lvl 50 PvP. Huttball is one of my favorite PvP map : all MMO I've played included.

The new map : Ancient Hypergates is very very intricate, much deeper tactic-wise than people think and it will take more time than usual for the meta-game to establish : and that's a very good thing.

Operations :

I didn't like Eternity Vault, but it's a matter of taste, but I think it's a good op, see am more into starwarsy stuff than Rakata/EU exoticism.

Corrolary of that : I enjoyed Karraga's Palace a lot.

Explosive conflict I liked the boss fights but not the setting : trenches and all that. Again that's a matter of personal taste.

Asation : WoW ! I loved it everytime I went there. Perfect mix of exotic planet setting without the EU feeling I get with everything Rakata related, you get to fight monsters, Siths, droids and a huge monster at the end. If anything, and for no particular precise reason it reminded me of the clone war TV CGI, which, an again that's a matter of taste, I enjoy a lot.

(all in hard mode btw)

Crafting : I'm an ex SWG dedicated crafter from before NGE, so I'll not comment further.

My favorite thing in the game though isn't end-game, it's the class stories. But that's off topic I guess :jawa_wink: !

ops are fun, I don't pvp hardly at all so can't comment

the problem imo is the game's itemization, it's all based around gear sets and then later the mod/armoring/enhancement sets. There is no uniqueness to anything except for I guess people ripping mods to throw in orange gear for the different looks which is meh.

if you're in a guild or not in a guild everyone's gear progression is almost identical

hi I just hit 50, let me get some columni from SM ev/kp and HM FP's, ok done, let me get some rakata now and start picking up the 61 armorings from fleet, and ripping other 61's out of BH gear (or get campaign if you're in a guild) ok done... time to work on dreadguard for 63's

ok done..

lets finish with hazmat ears from nm ec.. ok done

Please put in a whole slew of unique drops from unique loot tables that are not part of armor sets and aren't limited by there augments, maybe have these items have there own bonus or focus effects..

itemization is just terrible in this game, it's really a shame.

Edited by Gwence

I don't, and I'll give my opinion as to why.

PVP is still not as fun as it should be in this game. I won't go into details here as others have already mentioned the problems many times.

As to end game, what I found was that the final specials offered in the spec trees were mundane, and there was little to nothing offered that was new in the last 10 levels of leveling. Many MANY specials one would expect classes to have for end game are absent. I have made a list already, so I will avoid reposting them here.

Add to that a lack of "sandboxy" repeatable content, horrible looking end game gear with silly locked mods (still investigating this one, might be wrong) and high changeout cost and the general dysfunction or lack of intuitiveness with respect to the group finder tool and you have a situation where high level content is not as satisfying as it should be.

The content itself is far too basic in design. Standard dungeon crawler fare, with little reason to speak to each other during the run, kill everything inside, or even pay attention to the story.

Overall, compared to other games that seem to fill end game with interesting challenging content this game seems to fall short a bit.

Endgame is par for the course, but falls short of equaling the entries in the genre that focus completely on the endgame. In contradiction to this, the leveling experience is without equal, and probably will be for years to come. Why? Because, if anything, SW:TOR has taught the industry that a quality leveling experience with secondary consideration payed to the endgame is not a good thing. And that's sad.

Frankly, if EA had been sated by the success that SW:TOR was (and it was a substantial success, even during the content drought as the Cartel Shop was developed), unfazed by the inability of SW:TOR to topple WoW, which was an impossible expectation, and chose to focus on giving us more story content, playing to BioWare's strengths, the game would have reached much greater profitability than any Cartel Shop could give.

SW:TOR started out firmly entrenched in a niche, and that particular niche was quite large and unexplored. Post-release, it pandered to a flighty, generic playerbase that looks for the same thing in every game they play. That didn't work well.

Agreed, unfortunately it doesn't look like there's an option to go back.

I wouldn't know. I've been playing since beta and still don't have a lvl 50 character yet. Albiet I do have 5 level 40 or so... It just took me awhile to figure out what I liked...lol

This is my ONLY MMO ever. I guess I'd have to play others to see what's "wrong" with this one. I came for the story since I'm an old KOTOR fan. In this regard Bioware has not failed. I'm still digging the plot over a year later.

I cannot attest as to SWOTOR's PVP playability, as I always get whacked. Then again I always get whacked in HALO as well.

I wouldn't know. I've been playing since beta and still don't have a lvl 50 character yet. Albiet I do have 5 level 40 or so... It just took me awhile to figure out what I liked...lol

This is my ONLY MMO ever. I guess I'd have to play others to see what's "wrong" with this one. I came for the story since I'm an old KOTOR fan. In this regard Bioware has not failed. I'm still digging the plot over a year later.

I cannot attest as to SWOTOR's PVP playability, as I always get whacked. Then again I always get whacked in HALO as well.

How I wish BioWare decided to develop the game for players like you after it released, rather than the seasoned and cynical veteran MMO players. :)

Yes, I definitely think so.

PvE wise there's sufficient endgame content, involving a nice variety in required tactics and play. Flashpoints being just the quick and easy runs obviously, whereas the operations offer a fun challenge to guilds. KP and EV started off rather easy, even NMM. However, EC HM improved already on that. With TFB HM adding further to that. Especially with the shortened release window there was just a few weeks between clearing TFB HM for us and EC NMM release. Beyond that, still not all of the raiding team has obtained all TFB HM dropped gear.

EC NMM on itself offers a good challenge in return, and even though some of the tactics are a tad dull (medpacks? really? :p) it's definitely getting towards a desired difficulty level and variety.

PvP wise there are still some issues, similar as to be found in other MMO's, where gear plays too big of a role and more often things are a cc fest rather than anything else. However, bit by bit it's getting better in that regards. The introduction of the 2 additional warzones in the last year also pose a good addition to variety. And although the map design and objectives aren't to everybody's taste, I quite like most of them.

However, there are still some additions to high-level content to be made in my opinion. In particular in terms of warzones I'd like to see larger instanced battles as well. Think a Star Wars twist to Alterac Valley, in the order of 40 vs 40 on a bigger scale map. Additionally, open warfare on certain planets with objective based gameplay (forts, hubs, whatever).

On top of that crafting also needs a major revamp, currently there's simply too little in term of consumables what can be crafted, and this leads to a market flooded by raw resources with very little purpose. Yes, there are stims to be made, and some medpacks. However, the requirement to use them in bulk is simply not there, and as such, they go unused.

Adrenals for one are a bit of the problem as well, as they could be of more use, however their short duration make them something you'd rather avoid. Something like that would be better of with a for example 500 armor for 60 seconds than 1500 armor for 15 seconds effect. Same goes for the DPS equivalents and all. For that short period of time, it's something quickly skipped on.

Other consumables such as temporary gear buffs and all could be added to the crafting system as well, to get rid of more of the raw mats.

Gear wise things are quite alright with the system of being able to learn the schematics from drops.

Feature wise several things would be nice for endgame content as well, think dual specs, ready check, etc.

So well yeh, good, but not yet perfect ;).

How I wish BioWare decided to develop the game for players like you after it released, rather than the seasoned and cynical veteran MMO players. :)

You do realize the "seasoned and cynical veteran MMO players" did NOT want the same endgame formula that every MMO seems to offer? Most beta testers were against it, but Bioware wouldn't listen, they had their own vision of doing story (Which is great the first couple of times) and then copying every other MMO's endgame. If Bioware had listened to all those cynical veteran MMO players this game may have been rather different.

Edited by SharpG

Nothing for me at endgame, I like solo play. So no, there isn't enough pve at endgame, or people like me would be properly catered for. They totally skipped solo content. Space missions don't count, especially when they release overtuned ones :p Don't think anyone has to dodge and roll in flashpoints/operations :p

I'm just playing through leveling content again, then I'm outties.

Edited by lollie

You do realize the "seasoned and cynical veteran MMO players" did NOT want the same endgame formula that every MMO seems to offer? Most beta testers were against it, but Bioware wouldn't listen, they had their own vision of doing story (Which is great the first couple of times) and then copying every other MMO's endgame. If Bioware had listened to all those cynical veteran MMO players this game may have been rather different.

There's practically nothing which hasn't been done before, so the cynical veteran MMO player will not find anything new anyway ;). You're just dissatisfied that they copied from MMO A + B rather than MMO C + D. "Unique" is pretty much out of the question by now.

A lot of these testers were speaking out of both sides of their mouths - they'd applaud the story content at the same time as slamming the game for a lack of "true" endgame content. Remember all the threads saying that it was absolutely ludicrous for BioWare to treat rerolling as part of their vision for the endgame? I do. How do you think that changed EA's thinking on the importance and additional story content if, even while treating it as a positive, these players still viewed story as an obstacle to the "true" goal of an MMO?

But they did develop this "MMO" with this particular player type in mind, all throughout. Hence where the problem lies.

Bioware played through its one strength, catered to one particular type of player, the one they know best. Single player rpg fans, particularly, ex-kotor players, with little no prior MMO experience.

Has this not been the case?

Edited by Variden

But they did develop this "MMO" with this particular player type in mind, all throughout. Hence where the problem lies.

Bioware played through its one strength, catered to one particular type of player, the one they know best. Single player rpg fans, particularly, ex-kotor players, with little no prior MMO experience.

Nope, there's nothing for me as a solo player at endgame. Endgame is all about grouping.

This is actually where they failed - they should've continued to cater for the solo player, instead of trying to make yet another grouping endgame game.

Leveling is win - all soloable - then BAM! hit with grouping requirements at endgame. No wonder all the solo players (which make up the majority of a game) fled. It's like we got tricked into enjoying ourselves, then all the fun is taken from us at endgame.

Edited by lollie

:rolleyes: