The Death of the Class Story - Chapter 4: Rise of the Hutt Cartel

CelCawdro

Absolutely I do. I knew it would take a really long time to get new class stories out there, but I always assumed it was in the works. The class stories are 100x better than the faction stories in this game. Class stories are the core of SWTOR. Everything else is somewhat generic in comparison. Without a class story, I don't think I would feel that KOTOR type experience I did leveling up my character. The story needs to be a personal journey. That's how I feel anyway.

I agree with this poster, totally. I understand how much money and time it takes to crank out new class stories, but certainly with the cartel market, this would help to make it happen? If Bioware said they were going to work on a new set of class stories, and include new classes, the ability to change factions and new species, I'd pay big bucks for that. I'd pay in advance. That's how badly I want to continue my individual class stories, and the companion ones, especially the romanceables. They made us believe we're vital in the swtor universe, and that has to be maintained. I want to feel like I'm the saviour of the universe...I don't necessarily want to share that with friends (cause I play alone, lol).

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF bioware will not produce class story for the next year, then something along these lines actually happened at Bioware Austin. Come inside the world of my imagination guys:

Some Bioware Austin Employee: "So 4 class stories per faction is pretty damn unique in the realm of MMOs huh boss. Dare I say, it is SWTOR's competitive advantage."

BOSS: "Yes, but I rather have us work on a cheaper to produce ONE STORY PER FACTION. Lower costs will look good on our short-term bottom line."

Some Bioware Austin Employee: "What about competition like TESO producing multiple stories arcs per faction kinda like what SWTOR pioneered? TESO releases later this year."

BOSS: "Meh, if they want to go of the way of the SWTOR history timeline. They can be my guest."

Thanks for taking a journey with me. I advise you all to take a breath, make a wish, and count to three. Otherwise, come with me and you will be in a world of pure imagination.

-Imagination MAN

Aww. I am sad to see that class specific stories look to be going the way of the dodo. :(

I do enjoy alts but I also level pretty slow, so I guess what this means to me is that I'll only be taking 1 character (or maybe 2) per faction past level 50. Strangely, what I am most disappointed about is the prospect of no new Companion interaction/story.

I think I could forgive this though if they added a new Companion or two for each faction, and/or added same-gender romance with Companions. Or at least changed the canned responses you get when you click on Companions after you finish their story arc, so as to acknowledge that they married you/are your friend now/no longer dislike you.

I agree with this poster, totally. I understand how much money and time it takes to crank out new class stories, but certainly with the cartel market, this would help to make it happen? If Bioware said they were going to work on a new set of class stories, and include new classes, the ability to change factions and new species, I'd pay big bucks for that. I'd pay in advance. That's how badly I want to continue my individual class stories, and the companion ones, especially the romanceables. They made us believe we're vital in the swtor universe, and that has to be maintained. I want to feel like I'm the saviour of the universe...I don't necessarily want to share that with friends (cause I play alone, lol).

i'd think any extra profit from cartel market will be spent on activities that would grow revenue(and I don't think there are enough number of people out there like you to pay big bucks for story) and generate more profit or will be handed over to EA to compensate for losses from Dead Space or Crysis. Honestly, I do not think Bioware or EA sees SWTOR as a growing prospect anymore and will probably to try to milk it as much as possible with minimum investment

There may be no "later" to jam things into. Given how sub par SWTOR is from a MMORPG perspective the only draw is the story. I don't "end game" in SWTOR. To me it's not worth it. I "end game" in other games. I play SWTOR for the story. If there isn't going to be any real continuation of the "class stories" then we are talking essentually about "planet story missions" for the forseable future. With all the threads that have been started about "can I just do my personal story and level up" and with others like me that are only playing for the story you would think that EAware would know better. :cool:

Well there are a lot more of us who "end game" in swtor than not. I would much rather see that development money go into making more end game content. I do love the story, but its just not feasible to see a ton of all new class missions when they are rolling out endgame content the VAST majority of the population enjoys.

Well there are a lot more of us who "end game" in swtor than not. I would much rather see that development money go into making more end game content. I do love the story, but its just not feasible to see a ton of all new class missions when they are rolling out endgame content the VAST majority of the population enjoys.

Dunno, if I'd say VAST...I think a VAST number of people love story more :D Either way, I hope they keep the story coming. I'd like to think my money will pay for class stories...and if I ever stop thinking that way...well then I've given up hope and I'll stop paying my sub and buying from the shop. :/

It would be a shame if they are just going to continue with world arcs rather then class stories. That being said, there could still be specific class related elements to the story (Perhaps an old character may turn up, or there may be different solutions to objectives depending on class) Either way, the story-telling is still going to be a lot better then other MMO's, so I am not too worried.

Or they could be talking about personal storylines within a single plotline. Up to 50 we had 8 different plotlines against a general background. BW could still create one plot arc but have the individual classes having individual stories within that plot line.

What bioware needs to do is REALLY make this game more like KOTOR by having your choices affect the outcome of your story. I should be able to run this story on Makeb at least a second time with the same faction and have a completely different outcome by making different choices.By adding more branching to the storyline this will add more replayability so that the planet won't be forgotten and dead within two weeks. Edited by oslek

The second time playing through the all-class planet quests is pretty much my limit. So I can do two republic alts and two imperial alts playing through all the planet content. Beyond that, I pretty much run class stories alone. So without class stories, I expect I'll be playing 1-50 only in the future. If they want me to buy into any expansion material, it will have to have class story. There's no way around that. There's a reason why I haven't bought Makeb, and those reasons aren't going anywhere with the next expansion, or the one after that, or the one after that.

I've been hearing a lot of conflicting reports regarding how much respect is payed to developments in the 1-50 class story. I'm willing to withhold my judgement until I can actually experience it myself. Yes, class stories as we knew them are dead, and it will be very hard to please me with anything that breaks that mold, but I'm willing to take my time with it and really take note of how my characters are regarded.

The second time playing through the all-class planet quests is pretty much my limit. So I can do two republic alts and two imperial alts playing through all the planet content. Beyond that, I pretty much run class stories alone. So without class stories, I expect I'll be playing 1-50 only in the future. If they want me to buy into any expansion material, it will have to have class story.

The Makeb faction story questing sounds similar to what we got with HK-51, though on a smaller scale. I really enjoyed the story content portion of HK, however, I still only did it once on each of my Pub and Imp mains. I did not do that content repeatedly on other alts.

So if that bit of history is any indication, it is highly likely that I will consume the content in Makeb in a similar way. One time through on both my Imp/Pub mains and then just PvP the rest of the time. Even now I am only really planning on pushing three of my toons to 55 out of the 10 that I have. The rest will just serve as crafting alts.

I primarily PvP and Makeb doesn't really introduce anything interesting in that regard. There isn't even a new WZ. Which leads me to wonder about how long I will still be playing this game after June or so.

Edited by DarthOvertone

• 9 months later...
well as with all story based games usually once you get past the story people lose interest. So my prediction is that once you get your fill of the story , and it isn't added onto there will be a massive fallout of players leaving, then updates stop, then the game slowly dwindles down and dies.....

well as with all story based games usually once you get past the story people lose interest. So my prediction is that once you get your fill of the story , and it isn't added onto there will be a massive fallout of players leaving, then updates stop, then the game slowly dwindles down and dies.....

Cool necro, dude.

• 2 months later...

If they insist on sending us to a specific world for the next chapter, they should at least give each class a special side enemy/story. I absolutely despise doing Makeb on a second Imperial and Republic character, as it's literally the same thing repeated.

In addition to dealing with the Archon, each class should have had their own side-mission. For example, the Inquisitor could have been hunting down a Dread Master in the depth's of Makeb, the Imperial Agent could have been chasing The Shroud, who has engaged in a mad game of wits with the Imperial, Republic and Hutt Spy Masters, etc...

They don't have to go crazy on making them massive story lines, though that would be nice, but there should be something to make each class run of Makeb or any other "Chapter" planet unique and interesting.