The Death of the Class Story - Chapter 4: Rise of the Hutt Cartel

CelCawdro

I'm in SWTOR primarily for the stories and lore, and while I've got no problems with universal stories, they aren't something I'm going to play through a bunch of times with alts if everything is going to be 95%+ the same with every character. With multiple class stories, they can recycle class generic content a lot more because every alt will have that ~20-25% that's unique, and I'll play new content 8 times to see all of it. If all my character on one faction see the same set of quests in the same story line, then I'm going to play through content with just two characters and be done.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an RPer, I couldn't care less about story... (i even think 200m buck, just to voice acting is ridiculous /facepalm)

Sure it's epic and everything, but absolutely don't give you any choice.

I play an agent, who hate the sith scums, when i get a chance to mess with them, i take it :)

But I don't feel that this affect my story in the tiniest way. Sure there are "crossroads" but nothing else.

Game-wise it doesn't matter that you're ligh or dark, you turn left for LS vendor or right for DS vendor. That's all.

The [Flirt] option have more impact on the story, than any other choice (at least you score on every planet like a sailor :D)

A person hating Sith probably wouldn't join imperial intelligence in the first place. That might be the problem with your story.

I'm in SWTOR primarily for the stories and lore, and while I've got no problems with universal stories, they aren't something I'm going to play through a bunch of times with alts if everything is going to be 95%+ the same with every character. With multiple class stories, they can recycle class generic content a lot more because every alt will have that ~20-25% that's unique, and I'll play new content 8 times to see all of it. If all my character on one faction see the same set of quests in the same story line, then I'm going to play through content with just two characters and be done.

Agreed. Replay was enhanced by the 8 personal stories. With this new tact, not so much. Well done EA ... well done. :rolleyes:

I just posted this in another thread about the "end of class tories".

I must be coming to a differant conclusion than most people, but that quote does not tell me that indiviual class stories have been abandoned entirely. What I take away from it is that there will be more smaller expansions like RotHC that deals with Republic/Imperial storylines. The class stories will be reserved for larger expansions, of which we may only see one or two, maybe three, over the next four to six years.

In other words, Bioware is going to release small expansions more frequently than the large ones we would expect. Maybe 2-3 small expansions before the large one expanding the class stories. Given that things have changed so many times since launch and so many people from BW say things that contrdict each other, who the hell knows what they are going to do?

Like I said, I have a differant take on the recent statement regarding storylines. I just do not see them abandoning the class stories completely given that they pushed the game hard based on those stories. We just won't get the updates as often as we would like.

Reading the news about class stories is like getting punched in the stomach. The class stories are the core of the game. The quality of the class stories are what make this game great. To hear that all new stories are going to be faction/world stories... I'm sorry, there was only one right answer to the question asked, and he didn't provide it.

I just posted this in another thread about the "end of class tories".

I must be coming to a differant conclusion than most people, but that quote does not tell me that indiviual class stories have been abandoned entirely. What I take away from it is that there will be more smaller expansions like RotHC that deals with Republic/Imperial storylines. The class stories will be reserved for larger expansions, of which we may only see one or two, maybe three, over the next four to six years.

In other words, Bioware is going to release small expansions more frequently than the large ones we would expect. Maybe 2-3 small expansions before the large one expanding the class stories. Given that things have changed so many times since launch and so many people from BW say things that contrdict each other, who the hell knows what they are going to do?

Like I said, I have a differant take on the recent statement regarding storylines. I just do not see them abandoning the class stories completely given that they pushed the game hard based on those stories. We just won't get the updates as often as we would like.

Thats what I'd like to see but right now we have no evidence of that. All we are really going on is the fact that they said moving forward they are going to focus on the larger conflict and no mention of continuing individual class stories when the question point blank asked about them. That doesn't say more class stories down the line, that says the story progression is going to be a faction storyline.

If Bioware ever does an expansion pack with continuations of the eight seperate class stories the only way i can see it being done is if it's released as a expansion on hard-copy aka discs because the size would be considerable and it would be an absolute nightmare for any one trying to download it if it was digital only because every player and his dog would be trying to download it at the same time and there would be a 99% chance of the server from which the expansion is being downloaded crashing and being down for an undetermined length of time.

If Bioware ever does an expansion pack with continuations of the eight seperate class stories the only way i can see it being done is if it's released as a expansion on hard-copy aka discs because the size would be considerable and it would be an absolute nightmare for any one trying to download it if it was digital only because every player and his dog would be trying to download it at the same time and there would be a 99% chance of the server from which the expansion is being downloaded crashing and being down for an undetermined length of time.

They have invented technology like peer to peer transfer (torrents, for example) to solve this particular problem. Wow, among other companies, is using torrent to distribute the patches/expansions.

They have invented technology like peer to peer transfer (torrents, for example) to solve this particular problem. Wow, among other companies, is using torrent to distribute the patches/expansions.

They distributed like a million copies using Akamai CDN when the game launched. It's a non-issue these days.

Do the complainers not realize how much more work it takes to make 8 class stories than 2 faction stories?

Imagine an awesome series like Assassin's Creed or GoW. You do know there was significant time between the release of each of those games, right? And what you're wanting is almost a whole new single-player game that will be completed in less than a month.

What are you supposed to do after you completed the stories?

That's why the grind, the hamster wheel, exists at endgame. It's impossible to keep new content churning out as fast as customers can consume it.

I am actually more worried about the companions. Will my JK have a mute marriage to Doc from now on until forever. My smuggler and Corso as well. My husband's Councilor married Nadia, will she stay quiet until the end of time?

If I knew that there would be more interactions with our companions life would be a little bit better.

I am actually more worried about the companions. Will my JK have a mute marriage to Doc from now on until forever. My smuggler and Corso as well. My husband's Councilor married Nadia, will she stay quiet until the end of time?

If I knew that there would be more interactions with our companions life would be a little bit better.

Here's the answer in case you wanted to know:

While you don't get any dialogue during conversations or any conversations activated, your companion will say some things at certain areas of the map. For example, on this high platform (near the ledge) Lt. Pierce will make a statement about how it's a perfect spot for a sniper to set up camp while DS Jaessa will talk about throwing someone off of the edge. Not exactly a conversation, but not exactly mute either.

Edited by Lostpenguins

Here's the answer in case you wanted to know:

While you don't get any dialogue during conversations or any conversations activated, your companion will say some things at certain areas of the map. For example, on this high platform (near the ledge) Lt. Pierce will make a statement about how it's a perfect spot for a sniper to set up camp while DS Jaessa will talk about throwing someone off of the edge. Not exactly a conversation, but not exactly mute either.

Well, I know that Makeb wouldn't bring anything new. But I am concerned about the rest of the game. If they will not continue with class stories, are we going to get anything more from our companions or not? I think I can learn to live with an Avenger-type of story if my crew and companions at least keep my characters company. If Aric, Doc, Risha and Vette will be on mute, no more companion-convos, then I will be really heartbroken. So Makeb is ok for me, after that I really need some companion-material. Why else are these people sticking around on my ships.

Do the complainers not realize how much more work it takes to make 8 class stories than 2 faction stories?

Imagine an awesome series like Assassin's Creed or GoW. You do know there was significant time between the release of each of those games, right? And what you're wanting is almost a whole new single-player game that will be completed in less than a month.

What are you supposed to do after you completed the stories?

That's why the grind, the hamster wheel, exists at endgame. It's impossible to keep new content churning out as fast as customers can consume it.

Who here is asking for monthly story updates? Large expansion packs every couple years would be fine with me if they added big chunks of story to all 8 classes as well as the world. Ubisoft manages to put out a new Assassin's Creed game every year (plus DLC), I don't think a story based expansion pack to SWTOR every 2 is asking an incredible amount.

Well I'm playing Hand of Jadus IA and that storyline is NOT finished. So I fully expect them to work on it for the future. I'd be surprised if they thought any Hand of Jadus in swtor expects them do otherwise.

Edited by zzoorrzz

Do you realize how thin the class stories are? I completely overlevelled a SW alt and just did the class story to get off the planet he was on. I was shocked how little there was to it. The world story in comparison was much more involved.

This is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, because it was so light, the fact we're not getting any doesn't bother me as much as it would have. On the other hand, if that's all it takes to develop then they really had no excuse not to.

Who here is asking for monthly story updates? Large expansion packs every couple years would be fine with me if they added big chunks of story to all 8 classes as well as the world. Ubisoft manages to put out a new Assassin's Creed game every year (plus DLC), I don't think a story based expansion pack to SWTOR every 2 is asking an incredible amount.

You forget those companies weren't spending a whole lotta time releasing a bunch of content that BW was releasing during that same amount of time: A new WZ, new operations, new FP's, a couple of events, a couple of new daily areas, a new companion... did Ubisoft release all of that during that amount of time?

Um... no... they didn't.

I'm guessing BW may do it in the future, but I'm pretty sure the amount of work it takes for each class has got to be a lot. It'd be cool if they had something small, maybe, where you're crew has a 5 minute conversation so you can hear their voices and interact with them, and then whoever you take with you into some little class quest would talk with you. That wouldn't be too bad.

Would you be okay if there was one small class quest for each class that followed this formula?

You forget those companies weren't spending a whole lotta time releasing a bunch of content that BW was releasing during that same amount of time: A new WZ, new operations, new FP's, a couple of events, a couple of new daily areas, a new companion... did Ubisoft release all of that during that amount of time?

Um... no... they didn't.

I'm guessing BW may do it in the future, but I'm pretty sure the amount of work it takes for each class has got to be a lot. It'd be cool if they had something small, maybe, where you're crew has a 5 minute conversation so you can hear their voices and interact with them, and then whoever you take with you into some little class quest would talk with you. That wouldn't be too bad.

Would you be okay if there was one small class quest for each class that followed this formula?

I'd be fine with that if it happened every 6 months.

Do you realize how thin the class stories are? I completely overlevelled a SW alt and just did the class story to get off the planet he was on. I was shocked how little there was to it. The world story in comparison was much more involved.

This is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, because it was so light, the fact we're not getting any doesn't bother me as much as it would have. On the other hand, if that's all it takes to develop then they really had no excuse not to.

1 - They gotta come up with something new for each class

2 - They have to add a lot of voice conversations for each of those class quests

3 - They have to add more stuff based on the fact that people will choose different decisions

4 - You're character has gotten pretty epic in their class quest, thus far. How much farther and more awesome did you want them to be?

I'd be fine with that if it happened every 6 months.

Also, the reason you are brought to Makeb does differ based on your class. It basically makes note of your reputation as being whoever you were after Chapter 3. So that's some recognition of your class and what you've been through, even if it's not individual (the actual quest) to your class.

1 - They gotta come up with something new for each class

2 - They have to add a lot of voice conversations for each of those class quests

3 - They have to add more stuff based on the fact that people will choose different decisions

The level of effort is roughly one side-quest per quest hub (per class, yes). Like I mentioned in my previous post, I found the world missions were more involved. The class missions only got slightly complicated during the end of the planet and approached world mission complexity during the end of chapter missions.

4 - You're character has gotten pretty epic in their class quest, thus far. How much farther and more awesome did you want them to be?

The goal should be replayability. No need to go more epic, they can still go sideways. Hey galactic troubleshooter/troublemaker you're needed here for this class-specific task. I think that would have satisfied the majority of those looking for more class story.

The level of effort is roughly one side-quest per quest hub (per class, yes). Like I mentioned in my previous post, I found the world missions were more involved. The class missions only got slightly complicated during the end of the planet and approached world mission complexity during the end of chapter missions.

Right now the class quest generally have you completing one quest per zone (area you fly to). On Makeb, if it's the same, that'd be around a dozen class quest missions. That's 96 missions designed for the class quests that you only get to partake in all of them if you have 8 lvl 50+ characters.

The goal should be replayability. No need to go more epic, they can still go sideways. Hey galactic troubleshooter/troublemaker you're needed here for this class-specific task. I think that would have satisfied the majority of those looking for more class story.

They sort of do this for the Makeb quest storyline. "Hey, you guy who did [insert specific thing]. We need you for this specific thing on this planet." And they do talk to you in a specific way throughout the storyline quest based on your class.

Still, how do you expect them to make ti replayable? Once you completed that class quest, you're done. Can't replay it.

Absolutely I do. I knew it would take a really long time to get new class stories out there, but I always assumed it was in the works. The class stories are 100x better than the faction stories in this game. Class stories are the core of SWTOR. Everything else is somewhat generic in comparison. Without a class story, I don't think I would feel that KOTOR type experience I did leveling up my character. The story needs to be a personal journey. That's how I feel anyway.

Absolutely I do. I knew it would take a really long time to get new class stories out there, but I always assumed it was in the works. The class stories are 100x better than the faction stories in this game. Class stories are the core of SWTOR. Everything else is somewhat generic in comparison. Without a class story, I don't think I would feel that KOTOR type experience I did leveling up my character. The story needs to be a personal journey. That's how I feel anyway.

Granted this game's class stories and Voice Acting were the things that got me over the hump to actually level alts (never did it before in any other game), but I spend more time at endgame than I do leveling. So if you're thinking they can just churn out all of these add'l class quests while doing everything else they're doing, then you're really mistaken. You want them to introduce more hours of game in an expansion than single player games do in the same amount of time while releasing content throughout the time inbetween (which those awesome single player games almost never really do).

I just think you're asking for too much.