Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

Graydon

Well... It's the best solution I can come up with using the tools I have :p But I do like your idea of global ignore. That would be handy.

Thanks and yes you can only do what they allow you to do. I, originally, was hoping that Legacy would be the @global handle feature but as they have changed Legacy to not be unique it's not possible using this I guess. I have limited MMO experience but the one game I did play had @global handles and it solved a LOT of problems. You could add friends and ignore others.

One advantage to @global handles is being on different factions, heck even different servers. If friends were on, and you had their @global on your friends list you could interact with them at all times. This is one feature I really wish would come forward in this game. I guess they could add this feature another way but man oh man, would I LOVE to see it :D I could be on a republic toon and even some other server if I wanted and guild mates or friends in general could still hit me up if they wanted.

Edited by Master_Nate

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I know we lived in a free western world , or have we become some kind of cult culture ...

if you do not like what is being said leave general channel , or go create your own game .

As long it remains in decency and you are not paying for other people to play with you .

Bugger off please turn off general chat , or learn to accept there are other opnions then your own .

I don't care if you think people should behave to the assumption you think they should behave .

I only read the interesting bits and ignore the rest , maybe you should learn selective reading .

Just like on the forums :p .

I keep general chat off, period.All the important folks I need to associate with are on my friends list, or guild list.

That being said however, Bioware does need to start dropping the ban hammer on racist pathetic fools.Who cares if they are FTP?They aren't keeping the game afloat ,subbies are.

They can hire me at min wage to start.Or anyone else who loves Star Wars or plays.

This is directly from the terms of service that we all agreed to in order to play the game. These can all result in bans.

Harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything to another player that is unwanted. This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated. (See also “Harassment Policy” below.)

Create character names or otherwise transmit or facilitate distribution of Content that is harmful, abusive, racially or ethnically offensive, vulgar, sexually explicit, defamatory, infringing, invasive of personal privacy or publicity rights, or objectionable in a reasonable person's view. (Also see “Naming Policy” below.)

“Trolling,” which we define as posts or threads that knowingly lead to overly strong, negative, and emotional responses for mere shock value, is not allowed on the Service. Accounts created with the sole intent to “troll” will be immediately and permanently suspended. Constant personal attacks are also considered trolling. (See also “Forum Guidelines” below.)

I admit I've only skimmed this topic, but the above post is correct. Freedom of speech is free so long as you concur with the Terms of Service in MMO's. That's how it has always been.

As for the issues with Gen chat.. yep. My server has experienced some pretty disgusting and unnecessary conversations for hours in General chat. A previous game of mine had a "community volunteer" program. Through these chosen individuals the chats were monitored, questions were answered, etc. Naturally, human failings kick in with some volunteers, but overall, it was a fairly successful program. Players learned to follow the rules because they WOULD be reported and dealt with. That is, if Bioware decides to enforce their own ToS.

Edit: Naturally, if something like this ever were instituted, the volunteers would be monitored, etc.

Edited by Zekiirah

Heh, every MMO the same thing:

"I can say whatever I want!! Freedom of Speech!!! 1st Amendment!!!"

All good, but the game is privately owned and operated, hence the Constitution does not apply.

(There are some restrictions, since EA is publicly traded, but I won't get into that here.)

However, the TOS/EULA DOES apply and is indeed enforcable under Contract Law.

I agree with then OP,

Played this game since Beta and since F2P as come out there as been a lot on In tolerance (not going to say racism as it gets kicked around too much) to other gamers

I play In the Red Eclipse Server and on every planet at some point now some one posts in an other language other the English then ppl start kicking off saying that this is an English Server and then the chat starts to go dark..... the word Raciest starts to get passed around and all hell brakes out.

now i can't read any other languages but the English reading members of the community are not all ways to blame for this as i have also seen the other side where some one post in an other language and then post something in English and baits players to start of this its an English Speaking Server Rubbish .

i do believe that the ppl doing this is a small number maybe leveling Alts on the sever i play on but it does rial up the community on there.

i would also like to say on a personal note that i can't believe that these players are mostly from England as we are a multicultural society more than any other country out there and even have very high tolerance to others

Edited by Genuine

Agree with you, I'm also playing on Red Eclipse and I also noticed that the trolling on general chat has become worse lately, to the point that I have to turn it off if I want to enjoy the game.

That's not the way one is supposed to play a MMORPG, but if the gen chat is not monitored you will get more and more decent players turning it off and playing solo.

I understand that some people here want to control others behavior to be more like their own but if the in game chat was moderated anything like these forums there would be no one left to play. General chat is just that, people will act like people and I know that may offend some here, so if you have a light stomach than turn the profanity filter or just turn your general chat off. There is no reason to have general chat on, and there are chat rooms for everything.

It's sad to see people asking for more regulation in a video game chat. It's not like this is some sort of religious origination who thinks a greater power is going to punish you for saying something that may offend other people, so instead of trying too be controlling just ignore it and move on like an adult.

Did someone just quote the terms of service? That made me literally laugh out loud.

Yes you agree to them, most people just scroll down click the check box, and accept.

But most people have no problems breaking rules and laws that aren't enforced. Here being the terms... I think people should be free to say as they will, aside from real life threats and such. If you don't like it, you are provided with the tools to take care of it on your own.

OP:

No more of this M-F, 8 to 5 stuff please.

General Chat has taken a nose dive with topics so disgusting, so crude, and so immature I have become absolutely ashamed to be a part of this community. I swear if I could post screenshots you would turn red of embarrassment and rage of the moronic discussion.

Yes I do use /ignore, which I have never had to do pre F2P. My list grows every time I log in.

It's sad that is has come to this, but BW you need to start babysitting chat and drop the hammer and regain control.

As mentioned at least once while skimming the thread, this is where community moderators/officers would be a valuable asset to the game and not just for 'babysitting' public chat channels. It is long overdue and I'll be throwing in my vote or new thread to the suggestion box.

:ph_cheers:

Or perhaps people like you can act like adults in general chat?? Gasp!

I'm sorry I don't' fit your definition of an adult. Thankfully you aren't in charge of anything important and obviously you aren't fit to judge anyone else.

Turn

Gen Chat

Off.

I know a lot of you want to change what's being said in there, but you won't change the person. It's simply not going to happen. It's unrealistic. It's trying to turn a boulder into a cloud. If you want to help people that badly, /say I am willing to help players who need it, send PM if needed. And that's it, you don't hear rape jokes, you don't hear helen keller jokes, or whatever jokes there are that upset you so. Play the game, enjoy the game, and let people who you don't like be off by themselves. This isn't "let's turn in our neighbors". It's a video game. Are they being crude? I have no doubt. Does it actually affect you? Not in the slightest. Just turn the gen chat off. Join a guild, and talk to them, or just visit the forums if you want to help people.

Edited by Shwarzchild

I find it amusing how the very thought of chat channels being moderated scares the jeebers of some of the repliers here.

Forums are moderated, do you fear them too?

I don't think it's fear of any kind. It's an understanding that there is no real reason to go on any type of crusade about something that can be turned off, and not effect any part of the experience. As well as understanding that not every human being believes the same thing we do. So if they feel the need to spew out what I consider junk, by all means that's their burden to carry.

Yeah there's a sweet button called "Report Player". If someone is saying things they shouldn't use that and see what happens. Seriously, BW doesn't NEED to monitor chat 24/7. If people are being morons in General Chat just report them and Ignore them. Edited by KnightGreg

or lets put it a step futher , how come nobody wants to hear doom and gloom story of reality ...

Simple it is a game , I consider it a game , if you are bothered cause it is a game ...

then don't consider it a game , act real life where people dig there heads in the sands ..

you are right.. it is a game, and a game is what people come to enjoy. not the garbage thats in general chat now. seriously, I could care less if the troll want to take it to tells and insult and berate each other to their hearts content, and I will defend their right to do it PRIVATELY. what I dont condone is their urge to turn general chat, which all new players are exposed to, into their own personal cesspool of abuse, insults and stupidity.

as you say, this is a game.. people come here to escape reality for a time. as you say, people are abusive, insulting etc in real life, that is reality. people turn away in reality. well, maybe they would like it different here. better.

as you say.. its a game, not real life so it SHOULD be better. people whine about not getting groups, hard to get groups if you turn off general chat so you are playing a solo game.. but I imagine thats what is preferred.. except then you cant troll anyone can you.

There are things called:

• Tact
  • Respect
  • Courtesy
  • Decency

Being anonymous on the internet does not exempt you from them.

Agreed. Courtesy goes a long way.

I didn't know we could report people for tos violations in the general chat. I'll be vigilant in making reports, now that I know.

Though I agree that general is quite crude, the players in question only get banned if you REPORT them.

Simply give the name, server and rough time, and they will check chat logs. Solved.

So we should use 75% of our play time reporting goobs?

Sadly, I just turn gen chat off.

I don't have any suggestions, but using what zone I'm in as a determinate for what chat I see is not working for me.

The theory is nice, in that people doing similar activites can discuss and organize...However that ends up being 5% of the chat that occurs. 90% is garbage and another 5% is feedback on that garbage.

I wonder what server these problems seem to occur on most? I'm on Jung Ma mainly and rarely run into major problems with general chat... granted sometimes there are those who come out of nowhere with the insults and such (incresingly so with f2p)

That's where I just add them to ignore, works for me since I don't into one every 5 minutes like everyone else seems to be, unfortunately.

Did someone just quote the terms of service? That made me literally laugh out loud.

Yes you agree to them, most people just scroll down click the check box, and accept.

But most people have no problems breaking rules and laws that aren't enforced. Here being the terms... I think people should be free to say as they will, aside from real life threats and such. If you don't like it, you are provided with the tools to take care of it on your own.

I quoted the TOS because many people on this thread did not seem to understand that what is being complained about (the racism, gay bashing and other forms of harassment) is against the TOS and therefore can be reported and possibly lead to banning. You might think hate speech is OK and should be tolerated, but it is in direct violation of the code of conduct and can and should lead to a ban if someone reports it.

Nevertheless, you agreed to the ToS. You are expected to abide by it. Chat filters are not a license for you to say as you please.