NO Addons please. There is another solution!

I am one of those players that would spend hours in front of a target dummies crunching numbers, spent way too much on respects because one points was out of place. I want to be able to squeeze everything out of my toon and expect others to strive for perfection as well. But to do that we need meters. For those of you that say to just play the game and enjoy it. I am, very much so but still would like the meters for end game perfection. Also those of you out there have to remember there dps and overall damage, they go hand in hand. Anyone can pop off a few good hits then die and say but I have good dps stats. Can u sustain it?

Meters? Yes

Ui changing? Yes

Healing helper? Be nice but can live without.

Boss mods? Hell no

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, no, nah and never. No addons

Just love the "Oh no, i need an addon to tell me wich build is the ultimate one. what should i do? Im lost! Oh god oh god..." Are people really lemmings these days? How about the old fashion way: Try and see what works best?

Only thing i could see would be a UI addon then, but then again that is something BW could implement into the game by themselfs, and i think they should. Lets demand that instead of bringing in addons!

Nope, no, nah and never. No addons

Just love the "Oh no, i need an addon to tell me wich build is the ultimate one. what should i do? Im lost! Oh god oh god..." Are people really lemmings these days? How about the old fashion way: Try and see what works best?

Only thing i could see would be a UI addon then, but then again that is something BW could implement into the game by themselfs, and i think they should. Lets demand that instead of bringing in addons!

Please explain to me how any of your reasons for being against add-ons somehow impairs your playing of the game?

99% of posts I read for people being against mods are completely biased emotional opinions.

The reasons I read that are for the idea of mods are very concrete because the ideas posed are capturing development items that should have but haven't been provided.

I honestly think people read the word "game mod" and start to flip out like it's some kind of arch evil. They have this illusion that in WoW there were mods to basically play the game for you - of which heroic cataclysm raids will definitely show you otherwise.

Edited by supernickx

Please explain to me how any of your reasons for being against add-ons somehow impairs your playing of the game?

99% of posts I read for people being against mods are completely biased emotional opinions.

The reasons I read that are for the idea of mods are very concrete because the ideas posed are capturing development items that should have but haven't been provided.

I honestly think people read the word "game mod" and start to flip out like it's some kind of arch evil. They have this illusion that in WoW there were mods to basically play the game for you - of which heroic cataclysm raids will definitely show you otherwise.

So you say people speaking for them are not?

And please, dont tell me people are not clever enough to learn how to best make use of their characters without these precious mods?

It's a bit of a void thread to be honest.

Their official stance is as above poster has in his sig:

Q: Addons?

RV: We're working on that now, post launch feature, but it will at some point come.

Don't think they will be considering the emotional gripes as a reason not to do it.

Addons are a great thing for MMO companies because it allows for good things to be added to your game without you actually doing it. In some cases if an addon is REALLY good or well liked then the game's developers actually put it in the core code.

To not have them is just shooting yourself in the foot really as Turbine learned with LOTRO. By not doing it the community misses out on all the great things the devs wish they could do. By adding them thec ommunity does the features for you free of charge. Win win if you ask me.

No add on's!

They ruin a game that is designed to push you and make you work for your reward to allow add on's would dumb down the game and turn it into the very easy "WoW" and eventually we will have pandas as a class in Star Wars which I do not want.

I wanna play as an Ewok, though : (

Personally, I have nothing against addons, some of them are stupid, such as the Boss Encounter addons that tell you when something happens, that's pretty lame, I agree.

Then there's addons simply there to improve you're preformance without decreasing the skill required for something, they're the addons I want.

Each day I watch people speaking in general chat how they look things up on the web for guides, watching videos how to get to datacrons, people asking what is the best speccs, how to do stuff without actually tried anything out for themselves.

When people shout that the lack of addons make the game unplayable could only mean they cant think out stuff for themselves and need a program to either proove or disprove something rather then let their own common sense and knowledge come to use. I am against this development.

I believe in the human brain is the superior addon, and thats it and totally enough.

Add on weren’t the down fall of wow. It’s the fact that they just dumbed down the game in general because people didn’t want to do the research to improve there class, so they made its way to dam simple. And for those of you that say gear score and recount sucked, usually mean that you were asked to leave a raid. I know there’s crap players out there, but at the same time I don’t want to take some one wearing all blues into a 25 man or a 10 man heroic. Go grind the heroic get you badge gear then come back. I had to like every one ells, I’m sorry I don’t want to carry you through the game to win the roll on the one item I need. I’m sorry I work hard and put a lot of thought into my toon and expect you to as well.

Saying that I do agree thou that DBM was a crutch and we really don’t need that. But at the same time once you start doing end content, there so much going on it is nice to get a warning when crap going to happen.

I honestly, legitimately, and fully believe that add ons are not just for people who are too dumb to play the game. All this negativity towards addon are bull crap. You nay-sayers are basically saying that addons will ruin the game and have ruined past games? Since people are often comparing WoW in this argument for this let me tell you a few things people are forgetting to mention... Vanilla WoW had 40 mans, to raid 40 mans you had to have at least 5-6 people shouting things out and calling switches/movement/tank swaps/etc- they were your boss mods. When BC came out Blizzard decided that this wasn't needed and cut down raids to 25 man size. Since we couldn't actually have people call things out as much anymore, DBM was invented. I understand that people SHOULD know to move out of things themselves and I wholeheartedly agree.

However, I've always used DBM more as a tool to track boss casts/cool downs/buffs/debuffs, and have used them to time things. They make things a lot more convinient, they don't make you lazy, they make you perform better by providing the knowledge that you wish to see come at you. As a tank playing SWTOR I can't even begin to tell you how annoying some of the basic UI features are... FOR ONE, WHY CAN'T I SEE A TARGET OF TARGET? On top of that, people saying that there should be no kind of meters are people who have just been heckled for either not performing to their peak or being lazy themselves. What's the point of playing a GAME if you can't be COMPETITIVE? Meters help us understand what we can do to better ourselves, and help make PvE environments more fun by providing friendly competition. If I didn't see a threat meter in WoW while I tanked I would've died of boredom. Threat meters will help us to achieve the knowledge needed to understand our classes to the best of their ability. If you don't like friendly competition or find yourselves surrounded by people who are meter whores and ******es then you don't HAVE to play with those people. Just because you guys hate addons doesn't mean you have to use them. Another thing that's real real real real real real real REAL annoying is that you can't make any macros. I would love to make some /target macros or ability bind macros to save from the clutter of having every ability known to man on my action bars.

Furthermore, I think it's absolutely stupid that there isn't an in-game option to disable everybody else's buffs but mine. I think it actually takes away from game play if I have to stare and squint down at the bottom corner to keep track of my own debuffs to make sure they're still applied properly. Before you say that I need glasses or a bigger monitor, let me enlighten you... I have perfect 20/20 vision (any opthamologist will tell you so) and I play on a 23.6 inch monitor, and I still have a hard time keeping track of my buffs on a target in an operations group. If you dare say that I need to be smarter to keep track of my buffs or that it's that way because it makes the game harder, then have fun staring at buffs all damn day if you're a proc class while doing operations. I'd rather glance down every now and then to make sure things are buffing/debuffing properly.

I find that I have the most fun when I min/max my characters. A lot of other people do as well. You try to say that there are addons that tell you what builds yields the most dps? I've never seen any mod like that nor have I heard of one. Nay sayers should do some research before taking something out of context. I, for one, embrace addons that I feel are necessary. Flame me all you want, but all I've seen so far are meager *** rants and snide comments about addons making you dumber. If you believe that then maybe you should go live somewhere without technology because you're basically saying anything that makes our lives a bit easier and gives us an edge is bad. If you think it takes a moron to operate addons, I think you should try and take the time to fully configure pitbull/grid. Making UI layouts is a work of art that people take pride on. Don't take that away from us.

TL;DR - Addons are good. People who don't want to use them don't have to, but don't insult peoples' intelligence who use them.

Edited by cdestuntman

I personally hope that Bioware will implement some statistic readup after operations or flashpoints, or even solo fights. it is interesting to readup how you performed. I do not want it to be a live thing, so people can put it in your face (it means they are paying attention to the wrong part of the game). The game is about enjoyment, and it is fun to see if you performed well. Statistics should include about threat, healing, dps, but should give an overal rating about moving out of damaging stuff, removing debuffs, that kind of stuff, not raw data like dps or hps or tps. The statistics should note that if a tank dies, because of something, there was someone else jumping is, switching to get more survivability and the healer noticed that. THAT is true rating.

Addons do shape the game. One cannot deny that. So personally I hope bioware keeps control of the game development and does not enable addons. Let them implement features.

The game is fine without addons.

Why exactly do you not want addons available? If you don't like them, don't use them.

Awesome point.

Threat meters: I agree with.

Healbots: are very helpful especially in a raid situation, but I can live without them.

DPS meters: I always felt they were more of a showoff rather than it actually showing if peoplewere paying attention to their jobs/rolls.

Edited by Gozinya

All the children screaming their little emotion based rants about banning add ons is adorable. I particularly enjoy these two arguments;

"People will yell at me when I am bad!" and "Addons make the game easier... but wait they also make it harder because I can't play any way I want to!"

I really love the dissonance in that last one. People are terrified of other people being better than them and that fear is coming out in full force today. Here's something that will hopefully blow all your minds. If you are playing a game where you can do what ever you want and still win, its not a good game. Any game that allows you to do that is a far too easy, skilless, and meaningless game. It would be akin to playing chess with just pawns just because that's how you felt like playing, and being able to win.

The people who feel like every else should put up with their style of play are far more egotistical than the people who expect their players to perform to the best the game will allow. I would be shocked to find anyone over the age of consent in the Vatican parroting these arguments.

Edited by Theoriginalaks

The problem with add-ons is that they change how the game evolves. I've played WoW, I didn't have a problem with add-ons at start. Hell, I even used them. But eventually, they became so widely used and made so many raid encounters easier, developers started to design encounters with the use of these add-ons in mind.

In reality, it became sort of obligatory to use add-ons if you wanted to compete in any way.

Add-ons give individual add-on developers the power to influence game evolution. I want that power to remain solely in Bioware's hands.

Not to mention the whole gearscore debacle/drama that wow has seen.

^ Probably the best way I've heard it put. Quoting to bring attention to it

^ Probably the best way I've heard it put. Quoting to bring attention to it

To believe whats in that quote to show an immense lack of vision and understanding.

Firstly, its folly to assume that the developers are inherently better decision makers than anyone else. You know the floating combat text in Swtor? That got its start in mmos in WoW from an add on. How about opening all your mail at once? That was an add on too. There are countless other examples but I want it to sink in how ubiquitous those seem and how stupid any developer would appear be to not include those, because they didn't before add on popularity made it obvious the players wanted those features.

Secondly, anyone who who assumes Gearscore did anything but make normal gear checking visible clearly has an extremely limited grasp of the world. As others have pointed out, people were checking gear in mmos before WoW, let alone Gearscore. All Gearscore did was make the process easier.

How do people take such short sighted dribble seriously? Rational thought goes by the wayside so easily in people.

The problem with add-ons is that they change how the game evolves. I've played WoW, I didn't have a problem with add-ons at start. Hell, I even used them. But eventually, they became so widely used and made so many raid encounters easier, developers started to design encounters with the use of these add-ons in mind.

In reality, it became sort of obligatory to use add-ons if you wanted to compete in any way.

Add-ons give individual add-on developers the power to influence game evolution. I want that power to remain solely in Bioware's hands.

Agreed, and I am so relieved to join a game without them.

Why exactly do you not want addons available? If you don't like them, don't use them.

because once they are everyone else expects you to use them. I have played in guilds where you can't join in anything if you dont' have certain addons...and as you said some of us don't want to use them

Not to mention the whole gearscore debacle/drama that wow has seen.

/agree

I have no problem with UI customization add ons, but I do not want anything to ruin gameplay. The game is perfectly playable without threat meters or healbots (as a healer I would hate a healbot in this game, it would just get boring). The tank and DPS I roll with seem to be able to manage agro perfectly fine, but then again we are coming from a game without meters where you had to know what you were doing to tank well enough and hold agro.

I really dislike anything that simplifies encounters (such as threat meters or that boss add-on in wow that told you when he was going to cast skills etc). I am not saying I am against add-ons, I would love something that made my ui no look horrible with 4 full bars of crap or even dps meters I am not against, but game simplifying add-ons are something I hope they keep out.

In the end, none of us will really have much input on the extent of what they allow. They are going to allow some, we can only wait and see.

The "other solution" is for Bioware to add the popular features provided by addons into the default UI. The most important improvements needed are a combat log, and a way to move and resize the default UI elements. I am looking forward to addons being implemented in TOR.

One of the things I've noticed is that SWTOR may have the 'holy trinity' of tanks, dps, and healing, but it's not nearly as specialized as other MMOS. Everyone's insistance on pushing that specialization is actually harming their play.

No offense, folks, but up through level 25, at the very least, your "non-spec'd" role is perfectly viable as an 'off play' option. My DPS Counsellor can heal quite well - oh, not as well as a heal-spec'd counsellor, but good enough to salvage a four-man team that couldn't find a healer. My Tank Jedi puts out solid DPS... and so on.

The point is that while the paradigm of Tank-Healer-DPS still exists, SWTOR seems to be deemphasizing overspecialization (at least so far). I have no desire to open the door on addons that will only further the notion that you have to put on one hat and keep it.

I have saved entire teams by stepping back and 'off healing' or tossing out an occasional 'bubble' to protect the tank or to spell a healer. I don't want the culture of this game to turn into the rigid and overdefined mess we've seen in every other MMO to date.. and that mostly comes from nonsense like Recount.