NO Addons please. There is another solution!

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea that someone mentioned where the dps can be shown at the end of the raid. or possibly even having just the raid leader see the dps meters so they know who is pulling their own weight. I personally do like to see my own dps and get upset with people who aren't pulling their weight. Last night while swtor was down I played wow for a little while, and honestly I was watching the dps meter a lot. I was tanking and doing so much more dps than everyone, I noticed this even without my damage meter up though. I like to know if someone is just leeching or if they have no idea how to play give them some pointers.

As for the guy saying damage meters ruined the game for him, you are probably just bad.. I know they can be a pain in the *** sometimes, but typically in wow at least people understood, hey you were kiting them guys that entire fight thats why your dps was so ****** thats good though because you did your job. Also the way wow is setup for sure if you spec into dps you are expected to dps just because your heals will be so weak they won't even really be helping unless you used loh or a bubble on someone.

tl;dr

maybe give party/raid leaders the ability to see damage meters and link after fights. or give people the ability to just see their own dps as that seems to be what people are ************ about the most. ui customization would be nice, but I won't die without it. it is just another thing to get used to with a new game.

alright champ then just don't use addons

This is short sighted, lemme know if this sounds familiar...

GEARSCORE: "we don't want to know our Gear score, we'd rather know ur skill..."

"if you dont like it dont use it"

a few months later... LFM must have min 378 GS

a few more months later... "I dont understand why we are brining this scrub hes terrible and in all pvp gear..." Answer: "his GS checked out"

Add-ons give individual add-on developers the power to influence game evolution. I want that power to remain solely in Bioware's hands.

Bioware has the ability to limit what addons can do. I'd say the power to 'influence the game's evolution' is and will remain firmly in their hands.

Edited by Sendrel

So long as bosses don't have enrage timers that require the group's dps to meet a minimum requirement, then I'm ok with no damage meters. If they do then we need some way of knowing who isn't pulling their weight. I've seen some terrible players in WoW raids and by terrible I mean 30% of average dps terrible. Some of them were even in my own guild and not being able to identify those players ensures a long, painful wipefest on bosses with dps requirements.

Not wanting dps meters is really cutting your nose off in spite of your face though because the vast majority of addons have nothing to do with raid performance; they enhance gameplay. Mail, map, gathering, crafting and auction house addons have huge impacts on making the game much more enjoyable.

At the current state of the default UI, I'd rather have addons.

Why exactly do you not want addons available? If you don't like them, don't use them.

Because by using them, you make the game content easier to clear. Then Devs will make it more difficult, adjusting to addon users, then I'll be forced to use them to... Saavy??

You know, before gear score there was armory lookup. If you didn't have the right iLvl you didn't get to come; if you weren't speced by a cookie cutter you didn't get to come.

Before that there were ironforge inspections before your raids.

I'm not saying that gearscore didn't make that other game worse; it did no doubt about it. But gearscore was created because of a need (real or perceived) to know that the random guy you just met isn't going to waste your entire night of playtime.

As a raid leader, damage meters and important information like "who broke CC, who stepped in the fire, etc." is invaluable and critical to maximizing your team's assets. As a theory crafter, ready access to real raw data can verify mechanic theories, solidify ability priorities and open up new specs and meta options.

Do those tools get miss used by people who are unwilling to accept that sometimes you will go an entire raid lock out period with no gear, that the game is some times hard and sometimes despite doing everything right you still lose? Yes, yes they do. But ultimately that dickishness isn't a product of the tool -- it's a product of the immature jerk on the other end of the keyboard who doesn't realize that purple loot =/= winning.

I'm not gonna lie; I like addons. I like minimizing my action bars, placing them in a replica of my keyboard bindings and replacing the cooldown bar with numbers (ala LoL). I like being able to customize my unit frames. I would love to be able to macro sundering strike and strike into the same keybinding. I would love to have a macro that equips my shield when I take Sorosu Form and my focus when I take Shien Form.

Do I need any of those things? Nah not really; I lived without them before and I can do it again and be fine. But those are nice quality of life changes.

Now I play on a 15in laptop and having an enemy cast bar that's only 8 pixels tall and 3/4 of an inch wide is a bit of a problem, but I can deal with that.

TL;DR version:

• Gear score was good tool completely missused.

• Meters are important.

• Addons should be allowed for quality of life things.

Ultimately community isn't created by Bioware or Blizzard -- it's created by us. If we make a community of immature jerks the onerous lies with us, no one else.

There are a few issues with add ons I didn't see in this post.

One, they introduce a potential security hole. Keyloggers have snuck into systems via add ons. That is a major issue and something we should consider here.

Two, there are some uses for add ons, primarily for UI tweeks or keymapping in unusual ways. These can largely be addressed by Bioware so that no one is desperate for add ons.

Three, statistics can be a good thing but can also be misused. I am not against them being added to operations for people who like such things.

In general, I am in favor of letting Bioware add these things, especially as they said they are working on redoing the UI.

One, they introduce a potential security hole. Keyloggers have snuck into systems via add ons. That is a major issue and something we should consider here.

No one has ever gotten a keylogger from an addon. Not ever. Addons themselves aren't security issues at all.

Two, there are some uses for add ons, primarily for UI tweeks or keymapping in unusual ways. These can largely be addressed by Bioware so that no one is desperate for add ons.

I'd rather they spend develop resources on content/bug fixes, etc. Allowing the addon community to help develop the UI frees up dollars/resources that can be spent elsewhere. Not to mention, its all but impossible for the game devs to accommodate a majority of users. The addon community can, and can do it for free.

Three, statistics can be a good thing but can also be misused. I am not against them being added to operations for people who like such things.

This is an issue pertaining to other players, not addons. Everything can be misused, that fact alone isn't a good reason for exclusion.

I agree a UI mod would be a nice thing to have because having things setup the way that suits u best is always a plus for a game u enjoy. The dps/healing meters and things like that i never wana see in swtor. I played wow for years. while they had minimal advantages it just became an epeen fest and leetist a-holes who spent all there time maxing every thing to increase dps by 100. Its a joke. Then gearscore......my god. I will force choke a ***** i ever hear crap like that comin to swtor. The thing about swtor is you do not need those things! If people do there jobs right then everyone wins. I havent seen any issues as a tank with healers or the dps i do flashpoints with. Its about enjoying the game. Not omg ur dps is so bad **** so we can spam for an hour for another person. So get over ur need to have a meter to make urself feel better about how u play. Enjoy the game.

UI mod- good

Others - stay the f*ck away