Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Things SWTOR forgot to copy from WoW

Obiwanwillpwnme

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but you're wrong mate. I'm not talking about including everything, I'm talking about designing certain elements to work as they are working NOW in other MMOs - not as they were working X years before. MMOs are evolving, something great in 2004 is just not good enough in 2011 (2012).

We design UI - let's design it so it's not customizable, player's won't care about that.

We design rolling rules - let's take the worst system available today that will lead to problems and grief.

We design Guilds - let's not include options that EVERY SINGLE OTHER MMO on the market has.

We design Auction House - let's ignore great WoW addons that show us how a market should work, and instead make it unusable and not worth bothering with at all.

Do you see what I mean?

Many aspects of the game are flawed at the DESING level.

They did many things right, some things are awesome, but there are also aspects of the game that SUCK when they could be properly integrated into the game from the start.

You are my hero!

Fanboys never played wow. Never played a real mmo. This is a 2012 mmo. I bet a free to play could dome much better

Yeah the UI and current group finder are just embarrassing. I don't get how BW can craft such a rich questing process and forget core elements like this. Dual specs need to go in as well or grouping is going to take even longer and add ons will come in time I hope. BW has a month or so to put this stuff together I think or they'll start to bleed subscriptions.

You are my hero!

Fanboys never played wow. Never played a real mmo. This is a 2012 mmo. I bet a free to play could dome much better

I take offense in the implication that WoW is the only "real" MMO. It is attitudes like this which make the WoW community so disliked, to put it mildly. You are doing "your game" no favour with this.

And if a F2P MMO could dome better...don't know, havent tried to dome with one.

Just sayin'.

One thing I miss in TOR that WoW had was an issue with crafting.

I would like to know the chances for skill ups for crafting items as well as how much each item will skill you up.

Maybe I just have not noticed how it works yet.

Look at the points I made and tell me which one is "dumbing down" the game?

Also, seeing as we are the ones paying the subs, maybe they should be a bit more concerned about what we want, not what they want? I'm not talking about changing the whole game philosophy - I'm talking about designing some things so it's not tedious/frustrating to play the game they released.

Yes you are paying, I am paying, thousands more are paying AND don't want macros,addons and LFD. Majority of people, I reckon, don't really care one way or the other

I agree with you on most of those things, but they didn't forget, they just didn't have time.

On some of these things they didn't need time. They just lacked one single person one year ago in the dev team to say "hey, let's make UI customizable - people like that!". Again, it's not rocket science, some things are now expected of a MMO, they just should have thought about that many many months before.

In the case of UI, beta testers were telling them it needs to be customizable since the beta tests started... It seems they were just ignored.

Yes you are paying, I am paying, thousands more are paying AND don't want macros,addons and LFD. Majority of people, I reckon, don't really care one way or the other

Again, I said nothing about macros, addons and LFD. Take a look at my post once more.

Just want to throw out there two things. . .

First, MMOs evolve and include new features as they do. SWTOR will likely have a dungeon finder, a customizable UI and a bevy of other QOL features.

Second, if you say "Well, WoW has these things and SWTOR should have known to copy them!" I think you have a limited understanding of how games are developed. SWTOR has been years in the making. Sure, they could have included the features you want. . .in 2013. If they had waited, then their already aging graphics engine would have been that more dated.

There is always give and take in game design. You figure out what you want to do and the devil you can live with, and then you get it done. It's silly to compare an MMO with 7+years of live development time to one that has just released.

And, for the record, my biggest pet peave is the AH. For the love Ewoks, let me search by name.

You are my hero!

Oh dear, oh dear oh dear. Have you played many free to play MMO's that didn't start out as sub based? Cause if you are then you have hecka rose-tinted glasses on boy.

In the end some of these features would be useful and will be implemented. Admittedly I am a fan of the dungeon finder, so long as it isn't cross-server. There are no repurcussions to being an *** if you are playing with people from another server.

At the same time though dual-spec? Worst idea ever, might as well make dual-class or quad-class or octo-class and just let people at the drop of the hat change to a max level of whatever they want so that they don't have to level alts. And to boot allow a person to have all crafting and gathering professions at once. If you don't have to make a choice in even your spec and have to pay for the ability to change then why should you have to make a choice in class as well? I know many people like this but honestly I never have and never will. Don't get me wrong I'll use it as it's the only way to stay competitive if it comes around.

I agree with 2,3,4,7,8. But find 5 and 6 to be laughable as well. So because you can't be bothered to go find a trainer to boost up your skills powers you shouldn't have to? Why not just make all vendors and everything summonable to your spot as well or gear to auto-level as well? Silly idea, unless the skills have their own "level" meter and level up via use and you can only access the next level at a certain level so that there is some point to it just instant upgrading without being "taught" the finer points.

And as for 6, addons, whilst some are useful they really take hand-holding to a new level. If you can't judge aggro or dps better without one just learn to make do, oh dear you'll be sub-optimal in dps perhaps or aggro management. People managed it before, and guess what unless you are really really terrible no one else will know! Shocking I know. But these things only really lead to a bad sort of elitism where there are dps cut off lines and such that will see someone who is just below the line kicked, etc.

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

4) Selecting PvP warzones.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

5) Skills that level as you level.

Returning to a trainer every time you level up is not fun. It's a timesink.

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

9) Fishing.

Great way to pass the ti.. nevermind, maybe SWTOR is doing some things right.

to be quick

1. Hell NO, social part of mmo's down the drain if that comes

2. W00t ye + addon support

3. yes but later, for now people rly seem honest so far (untill we'll get the wow die hards :( )

4. ye, for variety sake

5. pffff naaaah, that's just lazy talk :)

6. see 2.

7. sure, maybe when guild ships come in place (Gimme my SSD naw ! )

8. LATER, much later

9. facepalm (ohwait maybe fish during queue's...)

Again, I said nothing about macros, addons and LFD. Take a look at my post once more.

Your post seem to assume that if something is in WoW, then it's good and we need it in TOR. I don't agree, though I agree that the game could do with improvements in many fields. Just disagree that we need to look at WoW for these improvements

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

Not interested in this, prefer social interaction with whomever I'll group up with instead of being thrown together with people, have had too much bad experience with Dungeon Finder Matchup tools, especially if it's cross server

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

Default UI "works" but it could use some customizable scaling, perhaps some movability

EDIT: and one more bar at the bottom

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

I Agree

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

I don't really agree with this, PvP Warzone balance usually suffers from selectable Warzones due to players only choosing the warzone that is the fastest to complete or that they can faceroll through with their class

Yes and No, skills you already have learnt could level up with you but new skills should be taught from trainer. Also, having to train all skills at a trainer helps combat botters, a little bit atleast

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

I can agree that combat log could be useful, other addons I'd rather them stay away from and that Bioware implement the more usefull functions themselves if needed.

I have no problem learning my class without addons, I read skill description, fight mobs and observe what damage my skills actually do, how effective they are and which kind of mobs makes the fight harder, sometimes taking out the healing mob first isn't the best option, sometimes it's better to take out the elite before the weaker mobs, you can learn that from observing the fights and reading the skill descriptions, no problem.

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

This is usually something most MMO's forget about from start, and I agree (even though I'm not in a guild)

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

Codex is "basicly" the same thing, you have tons of lore to find, datacrons, mob/species indexes etc

9) Fishing.

SWTOR is doing a whole lot of things right, no fishing is just one of the lesser ones

Edited by WereMops

Your post seem to assume that if something is in WoW, then it's good and we need it in TOR. I don't agree, though I agree that the game could do with improvements in many fields. Just disagree that we need to look at WoW for these improvements

so we take examples from failed mmo like Aoc ??? A game with 100k subs or wow with 10 million(atleast)??

Wow is the best mmo and every developer should look over and take what's best there.

Your post seem to assume that if something is in WoW, then it's good and we need it in TOR.

That was not my intention. For one, I mentioned rolling rules, and personally I hate the system WoW has in place.

Just disagree that we need to look at WoW for these improvements

I'm bored to tears with Warcraft, don't play it since August, but they DID get a few things right and I wouldn't mind seeing them in TOR. Give Blizzard credit where it's due.

As for the LFD - wait a couple of months, when you'll be leveling an alt and will have no one to do a flashpoint with - people screaming now against the LFD will be begging for it then. LFD is a tool - JUST a tool. Question is, what kind of community will TOR have in the future. Good community won't be ruined by a LFD tool. Bad community doesn't give a sh** if there's one.

Just mark my words - there will be LFD in SWTOR, not now, maybe not in 6 months, but it will come.

Edited by Khelien

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

Only Number 2 is needed to make me happy.. Also MACROS are very important for me, cannot make macros in SWTOR.... And ofc the long queues need a fix.

I agree that the UI could use some adjusting option, especially a 3rd and maybe 4th hotbar at the bottom but what I've really noticed is that you can't please everybody...

Either it's "you forgot to copy this that and the other from WoW" or "it's WoW clone"...

No to dungeonfinders... and no to dual specced, I've ended up with enough "healers" in full DPS gear, thank you very much :)

Well infact all those who say this is a wow clone need to type in thier url search box these words below:

Knights of the Old Republic

now play that game and see how simular that is to this one and its no way like wow at all after all show me were in wow you see clocked jedi's,trooper's,sith warrior's etc bet you can't and were was the space ships in wow yes there were non thus swtor isnt a wow clone then I can say that wow is a clone of ultima online and everquest and the pvp zone near dalaran was based from the sabuk wall from Mir 2 thus omg wow copied it from another mmo ekk morel is always do your homework before typing or you can make yourself look a total something or other.:eek:

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

Great post, fully signed.

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

1. For the love of our long-time enjoyment, do not EVER implement a dungeon finder. It destroys any server community.

2. Agreed.

3. You seem used to a feature which actually didn't exist in WoW for the first 2 expansions. Don't expect it to be available at launch.

4. Play Republic if you want to PvP (trolol)

5. What is there to complain about? Just 5min of travelling, and while you at class trainer usually prof trainers around as well so you can acquire some new stuff at same time.

6. No need for addons. Just need to be able to move/scale UI elements, give timers on buffs and debuff icons and let us a way of tracking our own when we are in raid. It's not fun to watch 3 or 4 Affliction Inq dots on same mob without being able to distinguish.

7. Yeah would be useful again, but not really needed until a guild starts doing serious raiding or PvP.

8. Achievements will be implemented eventually, in some form, to keep people playing. Many games follow this model.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.