Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Things SWTOR forgot to copy from WoW

Obiwanwillpwnme

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

Dungeon finder made WoW a wasteland. A lot of people will /subscription the instant one is implemented.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

It'll be fixed - early days.

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

I agree.

4) Selecting PvP warzones.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

You can't pick which warzone you want? Damn.

5) Skills that level as you level.

Returning to a trainer every time you level up is not fun. It's a timesink.

Everything can be seen as a timesink, it's a matter of opinion. Get rid of visiting the trainer and there's a million other things you can get rid of until we're playing a game that's even easier than the one we have now, if that's even possible.

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

Addons are coming. WoW didn't have any for a long time either. Also if DPS meter is top of your list for addons then you don't even need them because it's a complete detriment to any group.

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

What exactly do you need to share so urgently? I've been playing for like 5 days and am only level 13. It's not like you're at the stage yet where tons of things need to be shared with guild daily to progress. It'll come.

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

Achievements are a stain on my memories of WoW. It turned an already unfriendly new-user enviroment in to an elitist utopia where only those who could prove they knew exactly what they were doing by way of linking the achievement would ever be considered for anything. Linkable achievements and /subscription from me, and many more no doubt.

To be honest, from what I can see here you're just coming from WoW and wanting this game to be absolutely 100% identical in every way, shape and form. It's very similar but it's a different game. If you want to play WoW then go and play WoW.

Edited by DavesTheName

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

9) Fishing.

Great way to pass the ti.. nevermind, maybe SWTOR is doing some things right.

1) Yes this can be problem but then again I haven't had any hard time to get few people to do flaspoints and such with shouting. Sure this would make quicker... Then again people could use WHO to see who is looking for groups and so on.

2) I think they have said that they are working on it.

3) This is kind of hard cause you may want to give your companion items too. Sure you should need items that you don't need youself but I can undestand why it is way it is.

4) This works fine and almost better this way. I hate huttball the most of them all, but then again I think it is kind of the only thing that I can play most of the time cause we don't have any republic people on the server. Plus I like the randomness. When played on beta I played all of them and not one was as often as any other.

5) It doesn't take that long to go pick them up at least you don't have to get the 1 skill when you lvl. There is a trainer in every town so it shouldn't be such a big problem.

6) again I think they have said that they are working on it.

7) They are working on it. (BTW Don't you read any of the post that the game makers post. You should first try to find some info before start rranting about it.)

8) As people have said there is holocrones and titles. Plus we will see what else the legasy gives us.

9) We have space combat.

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

1) Destroys sense of community and leads to people standing in town all day. There is a LFG function... use it.

2) I play on 1920x1200 and it scales fine. Tell us specifically what is wrong with the UI.

3) It was intentional. In SR's words (paraphrased), "If he can't use it, he can sell it or use it for a companion." And if it's a BoP item, then if they're companion can use it, it is fair for them to roll on it.

However, I do agree with you in principle that they shouldn't. But you don't need BW to police it. When you make a party, establish loot rules. If someone breaks the loot rules, KICK THEM!

4) You don't speak for all players who play melee classes.

5) Go figure... MMOs have time sinks. This is a standard feature in most MMOs. Plus, training is the only significant money sink the game has, so no.

6) You should probably have played some other MMOs besides WoW. The rest of us can figure it out fine.

7) This one I'll actually agree with. But I'm sure it's already coming.

8) As long as there is no advantage given from achievements (particularly the "First" achievements), I'd have no problem with it and would agree.

9) I see what you did there...

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

WoW got ruined years ago.

Just because the game doesn't give you everything when you ask for it and doesn't pander to your every need it doesn't mean its bad. Blizzard have just treated everyone like fools.

If you really have to compare this with anything try SWG and not WoW which was just a babysitting service to keep needy kids off the street.

1) Dungeon finder.

Don't need it.

2) UI customisation.

Being worked on...

3) Group loot rules.

Agreed

Not a big deal, it keeps all the warzones active.

More rewarding to see the trainer to learn the next level of the skill.

6) Addons.

Can do without the DPS meters, combat log is supposedly being worked on.

7) Guild storage.

Supposedly in the works along with guild capital ships etc...

8) Achievements.

As one mentioned, Datacrons

9) Fishing.

Don't know if I would want to catch anything swimming in the water on Drommund Kaas heh.

THE GAMES HAS JUST LAUNCHED!!!!!

WoW is out for many MANY years! What did you expect???

Love this argument... because it's true.

Problem is, When WoW launched, it didn't have to compete with WoW.

Today you either need to bring something completely new to the table or you have to launch as good as WoW is now, not 8 years ago.

Anyone even read community news?

Welcome to Star Wars™: The Old Republic™. It’s been many years in the making and the team is very proud of what we’ve achieved. Since we’re an online game we are going to continue building on the game for years to come. You can count on us to diligently expand the game and service to surprise and delight you. We’re going to not only respond to your feedback, but also hopefully exceed your expectations on how Star Wars: The Old Republic will evolve over time.

Many of you helped make the game what it is today by participating in our testing programs. You’ve watched the game grow over the past year and have been very vocal about things you’d like to see in the game in the future.

A team is never finished building a massively multiplayer game, so we’d like to take this opportunity to reveal a little information on what the team is working on for patches coming in the near future. Our priorities have been, and will continue to be, based off of the feedback we receive from our players.

•New Content – We will be adding new content to the galaxy on an ongoing basis. These worlds will include Operations, Flashpoints and solo content.

•Guild Functionality – Guilds are important to the long term health of any MMORPG. We have a huge list of guild centric features. This will be an ongoing effort that will probably never end. Guild banks are the first thing we’ll be delivering in our plans for increased guild functionality. Eventually we even want to deliver on the promise of the long hinted at “Guild Capital Ships”.

•UI customization – You like choice. We hear you! SWTOR is all about choice. Being able to choose how you interact with an online game is something we feel is very important. We are going to be giving more control over the UI as an ongoing effort. This is a very big priority for us.

•PvP – We have an entire team dedicated to adding content and features to player vs. player. We have some of the most experienced PvP developers in the world on this team. So far very few people have seen, or know much about the stunning Open World PVP on Ilum; when you get to the high levels prepare to be blown away! In addition to that high level PVP content, expect new Warzones and new PvP features on a regular basis.

•Space Combat – We will continue to add missions to the space game. We also have a special project going on right now that will expand space gameplay in a significant way... for now the details will have to remain under wraps.

•Legacy System – The ability to select a surname for your character is just the start of something much bigger. Soon, the Legacy experience and levels you earn will grant your characters access to powers, objects and other cool benefits.

•And more – We have an entire team of developers working on future content. Right now we are focused on nothing else but Star Wars: The Old Republic, so expect new and cool things.

It is fair to say that we’re just as excited as you are about the launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic. Not only are we launching one of the largest and most impressive games ever created, but we’re also excited about the prospect of continuing to work on the game so that you, the fans, will always have something heroic and amazing to enjoy. Thanks for playing.

James Ohlen

Game Director

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

I'm sure you'll survive

complaining about a timesink in an mmo is like complaining about getting punched in the face while boxing...

6) Addons.

again, you'll survive

7) Guild storage.

I actually agree with this one

8) Achievements.

weren't you just complaining about something else being a timesink?

Star Wars should be like Star Wars not like WoW!

What does this even mean? Is there something about Star Wars that inherently makes it an MMO? It's like Star Wars in that it takes place in the Star Wars universe with Star Wars characters. How is the game supposed to be more "like Star Wars?"

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

Do remember that the reason WoW put in dungeon finder was to combat the low populations on some servers.

You're right, it is that way.

Constantly white knighting SWTOR just makes you sound like a fanboy. This isn't a proper response to the OP.

Sorry if my opinions offend you. If I'm white knighting with them, then so be it.

And yes, with all the "this isnt wow" and all the "they should have taken that from wow"...yes...that WAS the proper answer to the OP...because this...and please pay attention:

IS

NOT

WOW!

You want more wow? Fine, last I checked they haven't shut down their servers, neither are they cowering in fear. And they should not. But then by all means, play the game that suits you.

I don't care about WoW. I don't want to play WoW. I don't hate WoW either.

But I dont want to read about WoW all the time, when I visit the SW:TOR forums. Is that really that difficult to understand? You could argue, then don't read those posts. Which is a valid point, except I have to weed through WoW posts to find something about SW:TOR.

It gets tiring.

[edited major typo]

Edited by Hotte

Hilarious with all the fanboys crying "SWTOR is not WOW!" every time someone brings up improvements.

If you don't see the similarities in game-mechanics between this game and WoW or other generic mmo's, you're living in plain denial just because you're raging against WoW for some childish reason.

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

WoW has all that. I became soft after WoW but it didn't take long time to relearn and adjust to BW rules.

All of these are comfort things.

They will come in some shape and form at a later time.

You can;t have everything at once, honey.

Hilarious with all the fanboys crying "SWTOR is not WOW!" every time someone brings up improvements.

If you don't see the similarities in game-mechanics between this game and WoW or other generic mmo's, you're living in plain denial just because you're raging against WoW for some childish reason.

What he quoted are not improvements... If you think those things improved wow , than you are one of a 1.000.000 DKs wow got in Wotlk that *****ed for these things in the first place...

What he listed there , are 60% things that ruined wow , and I dont want to see them in this game...

OK, my last attempt and then I'm outta here.

It is (for me anyways) not that I don't want to game to succeed and for that to use well-proven mechanics from other games. But the constant WoW-talking is, as I said earlier tiring. There's more than just WoW out there. Why, if you want things done, make it a wee bit more neutral and and constantly act as if WoW is the lightbringer that has invented it all and therefore WoW is the only refence.

I'll say again: WoW is a helluva successful game. They have earned their place and I am not jealous. But it is not our new messiah of MMOs. Neither is TOR btw. We will see what the future brings.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.