Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Things SWTOR forgot to copy from WoW

Obiwanwillpwnme

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

4) Selecting PvP warzones.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

5) Skills that level as you level.

Returning to a trainer every time you level up is not fun. It's a timesink.

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

9) Fishing.

Great way to pass the ti.. nevermind, maybe SWTOR is doing some things right.

Edited by Obiwanwillpwnme

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Dungeon finder.

Finding a group and getting them all to the flashpoint takes too long, it's not fun so hardly anyone is playing flashpoints.

2) UI customisation.

Especially UI scaling. I play on a high-res monitor and the current UI is awful.

3) Group loot rules.

Don't let classes that can't use gear roll on it. It only causes grief, whether it was intentional or deliberate. WoW's 2-hour grace period for trading bound items with those eligible for them would have been nice, too.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much

6) Addons.

Especially DPS meters, or at least a combat log. I have no idea which of my skills/rotations are most effective which makes learning my class really hard. It's also very hard to analyse fights to work out what to avoid, which mob to kill first, what to interupt etc...

7) Guild storage.

Sharing materials and items with guildies is a big part of a successful guild. Currently this is reduced to asking/offering in guild chat, which is pretty tedious.

8) Achievements.

They were fun, quirky and added longevity to the game. A great way to spice up repetitive encounters and great personal goals for PvP.

9) Fishing.

They have number 8, it is called datacrons.

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

Lots of people hate huttball. I know it helps reduce PvP queues, but melee classes hate it. I'd be much more likely to queue for PvP if I could knock it off the list.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

THE GAMES HAS JUST LAUNCHED!!!!!

WoW is out for many MANY years! What did you expect???

1) Dungeon finder.

I hope they never add dungeon finder to this game, it killed WoW, we don't need another death, and or people just sitting in cities doing nothing but going in and out of instances.

2) UI customisation.

I agree with you.

3) Group loot rules.

Agreed.

Not a bad complaint but not an issue personally speaking.

You must of not played older mmorpg's. I guess I'm just use to it.

6) Addons.

I hope at some point they add these but its not a huge problem, personally speaking.

7) Guild storage.

No comment. Not a big deal, imo.

8) Achievements.

I hope they never - ever put in achievements. It destroyed WoW, we don't need another mmorpg to be destroyed so people can gloat over themselves.

9) Fishing.

Fishing is boring, personal opinion.

Edited by SWGVet

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

these are all optionis that wow didn't have in teh beginning hell until what 4 years after its launch it didn't even have a dungeon finder. And if you've bothered to read any of the "things to come' posts by the devs you'd know that MOST of these are on the list...and if you've played the game you'd know None of these are needed to enjoy the game currently they just make things a bit more convient.

Except Fishing....Fishing sucks I hope we never get that.

Oh and WoW's skills don't level with you..You still have to go See a Trainer.

Edited by Kindara

1) Dungeon finder.

6) Addons.

9) Fishing.

we don't have fishing but we have space combats :p more fun

Edited by ReordaN

1) Dungeon finder.

2) UI customisation.

3) Group loot rules.

6) Addons.

7) Guild storage.

8) Achievements.

9) Fishing.

My answer to all you have written.

You have disqualified yourself with just this "Things SWTOR forgot to copy from WoW"

My ignore list keeps getting bigger.

From someone who played WoW from early beta, and from the points you make I can make an educated guess in saying you did not. You probably started somewhere during late WoTLK or maybe even Cata?

That is, when I felt the had declined to such a rate that I wasnt interested to play it anymore. To much spoon-feeding the poor.

Imho

1) Dungeon finder.

DF made the game more convenient, but also diluted alot of the content. A bit like fast-travel in Skyrim. Less of an experience, more of a grind.

2) UI customisation.

Playing on 5760*1200 ( yes, you heard me ) cant say scaling is an issue for me.

Custom UI, well.. WoW doesnt really have that built in as, say, WAR did. but Im expecting it to appear along with the mods.

3) Group loot rules.

Valid point, which makes me sad, because it points out how inept most of the players are.

Force charge makes knights/warriors very valuable on Huttball imo. ( but yeah, separate queues would be nice, not that I would use em, but still.. )

WoW only changed to this recently, and my guess is that its function as a moneysink wasnt valid anymore. In TOR on the other hand, its a necessity atm. ( or would you rather be forced to run and repair every hour? )

6) Addons.

Because WoW was overflowing with mods hours after launch?

7) Guild storage.

Valid, but their plans for a guild ship makes up for it, if they come through that is.

8) Achievements.

Not a personal taste of mine ( since a majority of my WoW experience was played without this ) but good for epeen.

9) Fishing.

God damn I hated setting up the perfect ambush for a dirty alliance player in EP only to discover that I had my fishing rod equipped once I struck my first blow.

Game aint perfect, but I dont think making it more like WoW is not the way to make it perfect. Please please please Bioware, do not dilute the content like Blizz did.

Is this the thread where a whole bunch of 16 year olds that werent around for the launch of WotLK much less BC or Vanilla complain that SWTOR doesnt have any of the add ons that either werent even in the game until last year or are the product of third party development and not even a product of BLIZZARD?

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/02/10/bioware-wow-is-the-touchstone-for-the-old-republic/

"It [World of Warcraft] is a touchstone. It has established standards, it's established how you play an MMO. Every MMO that comes out, I play and look at it. And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb," Zeschuk said.

Even Bioware agrees. Follow WoW's rules. I agree with OP's post. And yes, I don't miss fishing! :D

Edited by Rhonen

Dungeon Finder? Absolutely not.

In my opinion, it has given WoW a lesser sense of community between players on each server. People don't have any patience in that game anymore and they have no tolerance for people's mistakes however small they may be. They want satisfaction and they want it fast. In and out. No waiting. Rush, rush, rush. No real reward because everything has been made easier since people want to do things so much quicker. Getting a group of players together from your server was part of the experience of doing dungeons back in the day. Now it's all a bunch of unknown, random players who care little for your character's progression since almost everyone in dungeon/raid finder is looking out for their own interests.

Ranting aside... I believe macros, UI customization (big one for me), addons (mostly UI), more auction kiosks in cities (I'm only level 19 but I haven't noticed many), being able to select which PvP battleground you want, and automatic skills leveling up are all things that would be really awesome to have.

And the loot system needs some tweaking. It is really frustrating knowing or being on the receiving end of someone who can need and win an item over you in a dungeon, an item that they cannot use (especially when they know they can't use it but roll need anyway). This has happened to me several times already.

Things SWTOR forgot to copy from WoW that copied from many other games that had those things long before WoW was created, you mean?

Why do WoW players think that WoW and WoW "systems" were first in MMO's?

Ulitma Online, DAOC, EQ, EQ2, SWG had many of those things.

Ultima Online had fishing when it released, over 14 years ago! Oh wait- they had fishing from a boat also. A boat that you could actually board and sail. They had a booster pack just to add more ships, pirates, and ship cannons to fight at sea with, last year!

Also anyone that ever played----SWG fishing tournaments FTW !!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.