Disney to aquire Lucasfilm!

Etapi

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Episode 7??? So we supposed to expect Harrison Ford, Mark Hammil and so on to reprise their roles? I am not feeling Ryan Renolds or Channing Tatum takeing these roles on and who would replace Carrie Fisher?? Miley Cyrus??? Now if they jump ahead say 20-30 years or follow a different set of characters I would be okay with that. But calling a new actor Han or Luke would kill the franchise for me.

Please, if they recast the roles, they'd at least have the brains to replace Ford with Nathan Fillion. ;)

Well, if it's going to be Episode 7, they have to bring back the characters from the three original movies, unless they decide to make a big jump forward in the timeline. Heck, they even could use the original actors. Let me think! Episode VI was made in 1983. Episode VII is supposed to come out in 2015. So a question to the Star Wars geeks: What's happening in Star Wars Universe 32 years after the Battle of Yavin?

Your memory does not serve you well. It occurs in the transitional stage from Republic to Empire, and they're still (or at least, were until today) actively working on making it happen.

You are right about the era, but I think it is a stretch to say that there is any activity right now.

In May 2011 George Lucas stated that 50 episodes had been written, but that the series is on hold awaiting advances in technology and reductions in prices.

That is from the Wiki, which is what I remember reading last.

However, we are not alone in hoping for a return to the idea of a TV show.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/30/star-wars-lucasfilm-disney_n_2045746.html

Edited by Etapi

Yeah I'm sure it will be AWESOME. If you're ages 5 to 10.

Disney is no longer a film company that just makes films for children. And the last thing they will do is kill their own name by ruining the Star Wars films. I predict that the films will take a darker turn and children will be continue to be entertained by the animated versions. All will be good. I hope they use some of the book stories as a frame of reference to be honest. There are some great stories out there that would translate great to film. They have made some good action movies based on Iron Man, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tron, etc. Should be an interesting marriage if anything. They should ask Peter Jackson to direct.

Edited by dalevan
adding stuff

YO!

EVERYBODY! For episode 7, already in the news they are contacting Timothy Zahn! I'm gonna take a W.A.G. here and say "Heir to the Empire" is what i am thinking for episode 7.

Also, they are thinking that episode 7, going CGI. With ILM and PIXAR, can we say EPICNESS. And they are talking about doing the books from the EU and putting 1 out every 2-3 years just like the James Bond movies.

Only way they can pull that off, CGI. Who knows, might get the old crew doing the voices. Couple of years doing voices for cgi movies, could cover A LOT of movies, don'tcha think?

I think this could be something EPIC in the works, time will tell!

that is not true. They have not contacted Timothy Zahn. not sure where you are getting this info but it wrong.

You are right about the era, but I think it is a stretch to say that there is any activity right now.

In May 2011 George Lucas stated that 50 episodes had been written, but that the series is on hold awaiting advances in technology and reductions in prices.

That is from the Wiki, which is what I remember reading last.

However, we are not alone in hoping for a return to the idea of a TV show.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/30/star-wars-lucasfilm-disney_n_2045746.html

a live action TV show will happen. That is part of Disneys stratagy to make a Trans media empire with their shared unvierses.

We are already getting a live action SHIELD tv show so we WILL get on for Star Wars.

exactly I'm thinking they will just set it 40 year after the last episdoe and make the Original cast supporting characters.

New blog posted now by lucasfilm http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2012/10/30/the-long-winding-and-shapeshifting-trail-to-episodes-vii-viii-ix/

“You know, when I first did this, it was four trilogies,” Mark Hamill recalled in 2004, speaking of their conversation in 1976. “Twelve movies! Out on the desert, any time between setups… lots of free time. And George was talking about this whole thing… ‘Um, how’d you like to be in Episode IX?’ ‘When is that going to be?’ ‘2011.’ […] I said, ‘Well, what do you want me to do?’ He said, ‘You’ll just be like a cameo. You’ll be like Obi-Wan handing the lightsaber down to the next new hope.’”
Edited by Lord_Karsk

Wow. A bit concerned at first, but now that I think about it this might be for the best. Lucas did say he was done with Star Wars movies...now they can continue the franchise.

Too bad they shut down SWG before he sold the company to Disney...would have been nice if it had stayed open. I REALLY do not feel SWG would have created competition for SWTOR.

Have you guys seen the pictures of Disney and Star Wars characters dressed up as each other, with Lucas stood in the middle? oh god.

that's from Star Wars weekends they have been doing that for years. It's actually a LOT of fun and if you are a real star wars fan you should go check it out.

For those asking what happens to TOR because of this purchase, the short answer is: nothing.

The long answer is that Disney bought Lucasfilm, including any and all agreements into which the company had entered. That includes license agreements. For now, EA has the Star Wars video game license. When the lifetime of that agreement starts to near its end, one of two things will happen: the companies will negotiate and extension, or Lucas Licensing will take the license back and shop it around to someone else.

So, TOR, 1313 and whatever other Star Wars games EA can think up are all good to go. Then, EA will decide if it wants to pursue an extension or just give it up like Wizards of the Coast did.

For those asking what happens to TOR because of this purchase, the short answer is: nothing.

The long answer is that Disney bought Lucasfilm, including any and all agreements into which the company had entered. That includes license agreements. For now, EA has the Star Wars video game license. When the lifetime of that agreement starts to near its end, one of two things will happen: the companies will negotiate and extension, or Lucas Licensing will take the license back and shop it around to someone else.

So, TOR, 1313 and whatever other Star Wars games EA can think up are all good to go. Then, EA will decide if it wants to pursue an extension or just give it up like Wizards of the Coast did.

You are right on the licensing but I could actually see this as a good thing for TOR. Disney is building a trans media empire meaning that they taking these franchises and marketing them across several forms of media.

So I could see Disney doing cross over stuff ie a Old Republic TV show that would end up with new story lines in game.