Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Is it just me, or is the Cartel Coin bonus backwards?

DPCummerbund

As far as I can tell, subscribers will get access to everything in the game.

F2P Players will need lots of Cartel Coins to buy the stuff that F2P restricts.

The longer you've been a subscriber, the more Cartel Coins you'll get.

The more Cartel Coins you have, the easier it will be to switch to F2P.

So, BW is giving its most loyal, regular subscribers the strongest motivation to go F2P, instead of trying to keep them as subscribers.

Conversely, the more casual players get very little incentive (in terms of Cartel Coins) to come back.

Anyone who has played a F2P knows to keep they points/coins/or whatever. You never what they might release in the future. I still have the a portion of the currency used Champions Online and DFO just sitting in my account. When I go back to those games every few months, I looka t what they added and purchase something.

For SWTOR, I am holding out for possible flashback packs or any other costume packs.

You can buy other stuff with the coins too though, such as pets, speeders and custom armour, lockboxes etc. So it's a bonus for subscribers we can get quite a few once it launches :)

Old subscribers will still have a pile of coins too I guess, if they resub before f2p launches to receive them. I get what you mean though, lots are waiting for f2p to return, only to find they wont get half their coins because they wern't actively subbed when it launches.

As far as I can tell, subscribers will get access to everything in the game.

F2P Players will need lots of Cartel Coins to buy the stuff that F2P restricts.

The longer you've been a subscriber, the more Cartel Coins you'll get.

The more Cartel Coins you have, the easier it will be to switch to F2P.

So, BW is giving its most loyal, regular subscribers the strongest motivation to go F2P, instead of trying to keep them as subscribers.

Conversely, the more casual players get very little incentive (in terms of Cartel Coins) to come back.

LOL. :rolleyes:

It's the exact model used by almost every MMO that converts. Because there will be little shinies in the coin shop, and subscribers will get the pre-launch bonus coins + a monthly allowance of coins so they can buy the shinies without having to purchase coins with real life currency.

The whole point is to NOT penalize subscribers from access to cute pets, modable armor skins, and other perks that are not directly content related unlocks.

Edited by Andryah

I noticed something and wonder if other people saw the same thing I did. First go to http://www.swtor.com/free/features and then scroll all the way to the bottom where it says item equipping. Mouse over subscription features. Subscribers will have to use cartel coins to wear purple gear? Why will I be punished for being a subscriber.

In response to the main post, I see what you're saying but F2P players will have to repurchase the most important stuff like warzone passes and Ops passes. Not to mention, if they make new characters they will have to buy all that other stuff again; inventory slots, cargo hold ect...

...... Not to mention, if they make new characters they will have to buy all that other stuff again; inventory slots, cargo hold ect...

Not sure it says that. As subscribers get unrestricted I assume that means you still have to buy them with credits as now, so I suspect you will unlock the slots as available to purchase for the account, not per character e.g. line 4 in your inventory is unlocked by coins but you still need credits to use it.. This is only my thoughts on the matter though.

LOL. :rolleyes:

It's the exact model used by almost every MMO that converts. Because there will be little shinies in the coin shop, and subscribers will get the pre-launch bonus coins + a monthly allowance of coins so they can buy the shinies without having to purchase coins with real life currency.

The whole point is to NOT penalize subscribers from access to cute pets, modable armor skins, and other perks that are not directly content related unlocks.

I know this model has been used in other games (I went through this when I was a LOTRO subscriber), but that still doesn't mean it makes sense.

Presumably, they will make more money from each subscriber than from each F2P player. So, if somebody is already a subscriber, you want to keep them as a subscriber.

Sure, as you said, many subscribers will spend their cartel coins on "shinies". However, many current subscribers will want to convert to F2P. They should be giving subscribers all the incentive they can to stay.

Personally, I'm on the fence about it. However, the more Cartel Coins they give me, the more likely I am to switch to F2P.

So, the only way this makes any sense is if the Cartel Coins are essentially worthless, a mere token of gratitude rather than a meaningful deposit into our Cartel Coin account. In which case, half of the threads in the General Forum today are basically pointless, as the amount of Coins we're getting isn't worth anything anyway.

What I am saying is that most of the important stuff has to be purchased multiple times. Buying an ops pass with a character gives you access to an operation/operations for a limited time (like a week). Thus the next week, if you wanted to do ops again you would have to buy another pass. Same would go for Warzones.

What I was saying earlier was that if you go F2P and want more inventory slots, cargo holds ect... that cartel coins would be necessary to purchase that (along with normal costs probably). These would be permanent upgrades unlike operation or warzone passes, but only for one character. If you want these perks on another toon while on a F2P sub you will need to purchase them for each toon.

Another question is, what if I go free to play? I have 9 level 50 characters and all have expanded inventories and cargo space. Will they take away what I have already unlocked? I hope not.

knowing from my experience with lotro, I'll keep my sub up and collect shinies...

and same as with lotro... f2p option means I can go f2p for a while (when money is tight or I just don't feel like playing enough to justify 13€ a month) I can unlock a pass for an operation or warzones or whatever I feel like doing IF I log in - or resub and spend my coins on more shinies.

I noticed something and wonder if other people saw the same thing I did. First go to http://www.swtor.com/free/features and then scroll all the way to the bottom where it says item equipping. Mouse over subscription features. Subscribers will have to use cartel coins to wear purple gear? Why will I be punished for being a subscriber.

In response to the main post, I see what you're saying but F2P players will have to repurchase the most important stuff like warzone passes and Ops passes. Not to mention, if they make new characters they will have to buy all that other stuff again; inventory slots, cargo hold ect...

It's highly unlikely that that's anything but a coding mistake. Considering the thing you mouse over says full access, and the mouseover bubble says the same thing on both sides. Wouldn't be concerned.

That text is not a mistake! It would have already been corrected a long time ago. Come on, don't be fool...do you really believe it's a mistake with varying/multiple lines text present? I'm sorry, but If if looks like a duck...

The point is they are very desperate to regain the lost long term revenue stream, because of the major sub drops. They've already mentioned that they were debating on making subs pay for Makab or not. Regardless of that decision, it's the fact that they even entertained the idea that should scare the crap out of you! (and your wallet)

Their intentions are clear and very much are planning to get both F2P and Subs to partake (forced) in the cartel coin scheme. The monthly coins are going to be but a fraction of what things are going to cost. You will get your monthly reward sure, but it will quickly be outstripped by the cost of all of the things in the shop and the slow, but ever present and increasing pay/win gap that will become apparent. You can mark this post and necro it later, but mark my words we will all be paying more, regardless of our subscription model.

Anyone who has played a F2P knows to keep they points/coins/or whatever. You never what they might release in the future. I still have the a portion of the currency used Champions Online and DFO just sitting in my account. When I go back to those games every few months, I looka t what they added and purchase something.

For SWTOR, I am holding out for possible flashback packs or any other costume packs.

It's been so long since I played DFO. This game is light years ahead of it in terms of performance.

That text is not a mistake! It would have already been corrected a long time ago. Come on, don't be fool...do you really believe it's a mistake with varying/multiple lines text present? I'm sorry, but If if looks like a duck...

The point is they are very desperate to regain the lost long term revenue stream, because of the major sub drops. They've already mentioned that they were debating on making subs pay for Makab or not. Regardless of that decision, it's the fact that they even entertained the idea that should scare the crap out of you! (and your wallet)

Their intentions are clear and very much are planning to get both F2P and Subs to partake (forced) in the cartel coin scheme. The monthly coins are going to be but a fraction of what things are going to cost. You will get your monthly reward sure, but it will quickly be outstripped by the cost of all of the things in the shop and the slow, but ever present and increasing pay/win gap that will become apparent. You can mark this post and necro it later, but mark my words we will all be paying more, regardless of our subscription model.

Considering that both the French and German versions of the mouse over have been confirmed as saying,

"Able to equip all purple gear aquired, as long as they enforce the in-game requirements (level, class, etc.)."

You can believe it is a mistake. Enhance your calm, fellow citizen. The bad men are not forcing you to do anything.

:cool:

Considering that both the French and German versions of the mouse over have been confirmed as saying,

"Able to equip all purple gear aquired, as long as they enforce the in-game requirements (level, class, etc.)."

You can believe it is a mistake. Enhance your calm, fellow citizen. The bad men are not forcing you to do anything.

:cool:

OR... the French and German sites haven't been switched yet, because they treat those servers/populations like redheaded step-children. They always get everything last, plus ask yourself how/why would the American site text ever have been created when it is not even remotely close to the French/German sites.

OR... the French and German sites haven't been switched yet, because they treat those servers/populations like redheaded step-children. They always get everything last, plus ask yourself how/why would the American site text ever have been created when it is not even remotely close to the French/German sites.

Hmmm... the tin foil is strong with this one. :p

What if someone just plays PVP? This gives them initiative to go Free2Play and just buy week passes for PVP.

So yes it seems a bit backwards.

Chances are that people who just like one aspect of the game won't continue to pay a subscription. This gets people who unsubscribe to the game (or people that would at some point in the near future anyways) a reason to stick around and pay money that they normally wouldn't be able to without a "F2P" model.

I would just like to point out that bioware/EA's F2P model isn't really F2P, it's a demo. It draws people into the game, no matter if it's new people or people coming back to the game, and lets them sample part of the game for free in hopes that they will make purchases to pay for portions of what those with the full game have. If the game was truly free to play, it would let you enjoy all aspects of the game for free and make you pay for novelties (pets, unique custom gear, speeders, ect.)

You can buy other stuff with the coins too though, such as pets, speeders and custom armour, lockboxes etc. So it's a bonus for subscribers we can get quite a few once it launches :)

Old subscribers will still have a pile of coins too I guess, if they resub before f2p launches to receive them. I get what you mean though, lots are waiting for f2p to return, only to find they wont get half their coins because they wern't actively subbed when it launches.

But that is the way the cookie crumbles. BW seem doomed if they do and doomed if they don't with quite a few people in the forums. Lets just see how it pans out. I genuinely think they, BW are trying to put right the few wrongs, and will nail it right. I am not sure yet what I will be able to purchase with my coins when I receive them, but I think it is quite a good idea, whether you have stayed fully subbed or not since the games launch. Would you expect to get a few thousand coins if you had only been subbed for say 3 months?. Reality is, NO, reason being is you would have those who have been subbed since day one complaining that F2P or those who sub on and off gain the same amount, lol. You follow where I am coming from yes?. Can not please everyone.

See how it pans out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.