Writer of Agent Storyline Leaves. Alex Freed.

Venerok

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is starting to get ridiculous. I actually enjoy the game despite it's numerous faults, and I'd like to keep playing it, but between the one or two new departures we read about each day, and the glaringly bad business statements frequently quoted from EA, it really is like watching the Titanic drift ever-closer to an iceberg.

I had every intention to maintain my subscription in November, but if the rumours that even subscribers are going to be charged for content like Makeb are true, I'm not sure what the incentive to subscribe is supposed to be anymore. I'm trying to remain optimistic, but fsck.

I'd really like to start meeting the new team that's supposed to be taking over for all these people.

I'd really like to start meeting the new team that's supposed to be taking over for all these people.

Is there a new team? Are these people being replaced? EA could just be shifting the development of this game into a lower gear.

Must be pretty bad over at Biohell...for a writer to leave a paid gig? To go freelance? This isn't a common thing. Makes me wonder if he's actually leaving or was fired. Either way I'm sad, because he was an amazing writer, and his storyline for Agent was the best. I'm sorry to see him go. :(

He's not taking the story with him you know. :p

separately....

Honestly, writing the stories is the front end of story creation and they probably have multiple years of story already written. They need their resources on moving the stories into production, not writing more stories to put on the backlog shelf.

This team is being dismantled from top to bottom. See: Warhammer. I know you dont care that this game is getting written off but some of us do.

Is there a new team? Are these people being replaced? EA could just be shifting the development of this game into a lower gear.

More like removing the remnants of the gearbox and transmission and hoping that the passengers dont notice that the engine will go next.

In related news, yet another major player in our little mmo has left.

This is the guy behind the agent story, which is commonly attributed to being unique and epic among the class stories.

There go my hopes of having the Agent storyline continued.

I'm sad to see him go. The agent story was the best by far. Back before launch they said they had tons of story written up for expansions, so lets hope that is true. Hopefully they don't divert all their attention to ops and pvp. I'm one of those people that does not care about ops or pvp all I want is more story.

Question for everyone here. If they have had 6 years to create stories for this game did you honestly expect them to be retained at their current salary level indefinitely? How long does it honestly take to write a story line? How many ideas can you flesh out in 6 years?

I have read that at one point they might have had as many as 30 writers on this project which is just an extreme amount even for something with this complexity.

This is a really interesting read:

http://www.warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?page=blog&entry=blog_007

It basically shows how the gaming industry is bloated and extremely compartmentalized making it very inefficient. Pay attention to the part about writing specifically. I fully agree with that.

This isn't the end of the world a small staff of writers can just as easily - and possibly faster - do the job of many of them.

The only thing that saves us from the bureaucracy is it's inefficiency.

Surely some of you work for a big company can can understand that. With the right people making the decisions and smaller more efficient dev teams money is saved and content moves faster.

Besides if they need him or anyone else specifically they can always do a short term contract. Keeping on the staff all the time doesn't make sense.

Stop and think for a second about the actual real world reason for this before you cry doom, please. Conversely, as usual the forum can be flooded by emotion posts that completely overlook reality.

Edited by Tim-ONeil

if the rumours that even subscribers are going to be charged for content like Makeb are true

Rumors? I thought it was all fabrication from player speculations about the next way Bioware could screw over their paying subscribers (and that paying with it with Cartel Coins--which Premium customers will be given a lump and then ongoing stipend fund, would qualify as "paying for it").

If there have been actual rumors, I'd love for someone to share a link.

He didn't leave, he just doesn't have the guts to say "I'm leaving because bioware....isn't bioware anymore, EA schuttas are ruining everything!"

Or probably he was layed off or fired and doesn't say it. Do you people actually believe the top guys that made some of the great stuff in the game just leave like that, out of their free will and calm consciousness?...

That sucks. I'm in the middle of act 3 in the IA story, and it's been the best of all the storylines I've done thus far in terms of interesting storytelling. Best of luck to him,.

Hmmm Now that I think about it... all dramatic stories had in the past just 3 acts.... END.

I hope that chapter 3 is Act 1...

On other note... BioWare can still hire him to continue the Agent story (contract). Maybe they change a business process to contract this in the future?

Edited by Evensong

He didn't leave, he just doesn't have the guts to say "I'm leaving because bioware....isn't bioware anymore, EA schuttas are ruining everything!"

Guts, yeah. I highly doubt he is as sought after as we think he might be. Until you have a name you can bank on, burning bridges, especially with such a large company, is stupid.

I´d like to have community driven content.

I could pick up a shop on Tattooine and concentrate on crafting.. good times.

New classes Entertainer, Farmer and Politician FTW ! :D

The thought is all well and good, but that would be so large of an undertaking for little to no return. Well, in their eyes at least.

I´d like to have community driven content.

I could pick up a shop on Tattooine and concentrate on crafting.. good times.

New classes Entertainer, Farmer and Politician FTW ! :D

For a community created content you would need a community that has some sense. Do you think we have one? :)

Oh no oh no oh no! This is horrible. I really haven't cared about the other issues that people complain about, figuring they'd be sorted out over time, but the whole reason I started playing this game in the first place was the emphasis on story which was so different than other mmos. I really haven't been an mmo player up until now, because without stories, I'm just not that interested. The writers being laid off and leaving--their best writers--this is the one thing that really makes me worry. You don't let someone like this leave if you have any intention of continuing the story content. You make it worth their while to stay. They must not be planning story content at any time in the reasonably near future. It takes years to put something like the first 3 chapters together and so it should be in the works now. Edited by errant_knight

It's a fantastic story arc! What a shame.

But since they said they are not interested in doing any more story content (only ops and pvp) it makes sense.

Bitter pill on all counts. Hope he finds a great place to work. He is talented.

Could you link the statement from Bioware that says they are not going to be doing any more story content... Because if this is true then there really is no reason to play this game once you've done all the story content on the various classes... SWTOR MMO mechanics and combat are old school and boring.... Only thing that keeps me subscribing is the various class stories and I'm getting close to finishing them all..

Back on Topic.... Nothing stopping Bioware/EA from hiring this writer back when they do expansions, doesn't make sense to have writers on payroll if there's no writing to do atm....

Edited by Monoth

Back on Topic.... Nothing stopping Bioware/EA from hiring this writer back when they do expansions, doesn't make sense to have writers on payroll if there's no writing to do atm....

You might be the only person in here with a shred of common sense. Not to mention how many storylines should have been completed in 6 years of fulltime work.