Light side or Dark side Smuggler

Esaru

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I look at the responses, then decide and then look to see if it give Lightside or Darkside points. I don't want the mechanics of the game to get in the way of my character's personality. I just go with the option I would have chosen if I were a Smuggler.

I pretty much ignore the indicators, use the number keys and just choose what I think my character would do. As it stands I'm usually about 2 light side to 1 dark choice. As others of said, I'm not going to compromise my character just to get some gear. IMHO, force choices for non force users is just silly. I'd much prefer something like paragon, renegade points instead. Give me my reputation and my blaster and stick your hokey religion in the after burners.

:wea_02:

I'm currently sitting 1800 LS : DS 1550, and I have some hopefully constructive thoughts for you.

Light Side smuggler is, to be honest, boring when stacked up with your Dark Side options. The DS choices and dialogue are much more fun, IMO, and I'm someone who ALWAYS chose Light Side in KOTOR. But I'm also role-playing slightly, which guides many of my decisions; my smuggler looks out for him and his, and if you cross him, well, gg. But he doesn't slaughter innocents.

I don't want to spoil anything, but Dark Side choices don't often line up with the values of some of your companions. I've taken a number of negative affection hits for my Dark Side choices, and while these points can be won back it does slow down the affection process. So keep that in mind.

I will say I get a sweet sense of satisfaction when I'm in a group of 4 players in a flashpoint dialogue and the other 3 choose the Light Side option and I choose Dark Side and win the roll. Generally the other players say "Oh man, thanks! I've always wondered what would happen if I chose that option but I don't want to tarnish my perfect light side score omg."

I agree totally!

Currently sitting at LS 2200 DS 1950

Don't let others kid you that the LS/DS gear is going to set you back. You can be just as equally geared as full one way or another... you just wont get "special clothing" to look the EXACT SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE!!! Play the way thats fun for you, smuggler and IA are the best classes to play as yourself or a suave version there of.

Edited by RaizMantrA

I play darkside i never had so much fun in an MMO i want to make money at all cost and if somebody want to cheat me he will die, gender and race doesnt matter :D

Play a Jedi or Consular and choose dark side. I had a blast doing that, but I have yet to do much dark side with smuggler. I have chose dark side 3 times is all.

done a little Darkside. The "True" Republic quest on Coruscant, because the guy offered me more credits to hand over false documents. I still got paid. Corso was mightly unhappy giving his customary -1 though. I sometimes choose what appear to be mildly ******** comments and end up being a right ***** though. It's a tad annoying. I want to be a bit of a rogue, not a complete ****.

I am, if ever the option presents itself, choosing the "Flirt" conversations though. Gonna need to get my arse into space and do some more of those space combat missions though. Not for any real reason other than I feel I should, as a Smuggler.

I'm playing a Neutral Smuggler who's currently more dark than light. He has a few rules he goes by, but he will break any of them for the right price or in the right situation. He doesn't kill innocents if it can be helped. So light choice on the first choice in Esseles. But no life is more important than his own. Dark for the Esseles second choice. He will try anything for more credits, and is sarcastic and impatient in conversation.

in short, I love my smuggler. Surprisingly my main so far.

i agree the light/dark dichotomy is a bit much for a smuggler. im no fan of the republic, but i dislike the empire more. still, i prefer to stay out of politics altogether. i'm a bit selfish, totally sarcastic (i annoy corso a lot) and flirt every chance i get. i don't kill innocents if i can avoid it, but if you cross me watch out. the light/dark choices and supposed need to choose is annoying though. For example, I really should have just killed someone for something

i should have left the pirate dude on taris to deal with his crazy band of people to get the vaccine instead of running around to the hospital

because that felt more true, but i was like, i really should stick to light... (even though i've done a fair number of dark things). sometimes the moral choice is clear but when it's something of a grey area, i'd like to choose what's best for me. smuggler life.

In my experience, I've always been willing to help others in a "scratch my back, and I'll scratch yours" sort of way. But when it comes down to choices, I usually pick the one I think is the most sarcastic remark, which has net me mostly LS choices so far. There are obviously some examples where choosing dark-sided answers are actually better than light-sided because the potential cost is too great to ignore over a lesser benefit, but I'll let you discover them on your own.

I thought up a priority "flow chart" for my Smuggler.

Survival (this means you ALWAYS shoot first!) > Credits > Ladies > Republic.

I also have some ground rules: I always do right by the kids because I have a soft spot for them and I will never kill an innocent that wasn''t in my way.

In every Bioware game they have made it so being the "evil *******" is ridiculously fun.

In most other RPGs I always would feel bad or something for the characters who would suffer from my evil choices, but in Bioware games it is just fun to be the ******e.

Edited by ShiftyMango

I just make the choices I think my character would make. I always envisioned my Gunslinger as someone who had a good heart but didn't want to be taken advantage of in a hard galaxy. The funny thing is, I think her choices have been influenced by Corso.

When I first started paying her, she was constantly asking, "What's in it for me?" (well, that and pointing blasters at people and demanding to know where her ship is). She was always willing to help people as long as she got paid, and rarely chose the evil options, but she wasn't really a hero, either.

But since she has been running around with Corso for fifteen levels, and I have decided that she likes Corso and likes having him around, she's started to discover a nobler side of herself. Well, that, and, well... his enthusiasm for diving into things head-first has led her to be a little more crazy/reckless than she might otherwise have been. "I wasn't planning to live forever, anyway. I'm in."

As a result, she's now something like Light 2600/Dark 400.

She's still gonna kill Skavak when she catches that punk, though. *Nobody* messes with her ship and gets away with it.

I find it overall much more rewarding and generally a better feeling to play light side. It was fun to play a really dark bad-*** pure blooded Sith warrior during the beta, but it is not something I would want to be "stuck with", if you catch my drift.

In single player games I have no problem to play evil campaigns once in a while, but with MMOs it is different. The character, especially my main, is really kinda an embodiment of myself in the game world. Do I want to be a violent, evil and twisted scumbag? Perhaps I will twink one some day, just for fun, but in the long run... No way!

I could never have the same feeling as "him being me" and so I can not really relate to those characters actions.

On top of that I got the feeling that for the Empire Side light side choices would have been actually more helpful, ironically (seriously the constant backstabbing is ridiculously damaging to the Sith).

But this kinda fits in with the ongoing theme that the Dark Side always keeps defeating itself.

In the end the Empire will loose anyway (after all the Republic did prevail and regained all or most of the lost territory) and the Dark Side players are the ones doing everything they can to make that happen in the end.

I like that aspect of the game. :p

Edited by grinder

• 1 month later...
After playing my smuggler for a bit, I really feel like the LS/DS system is a disservice to the class.

Smugglers are, by definition, gray. They do questionable things for money, even if they may have a heart of a gold. Han Solo may have ultimately been a good guy, but I still wouldn't call him "light side" in the same way that Luke Skywalker was.

I've already taken some dark side points by just doing what I thought I would do if I were a smuggler. I tried focusing on "live and let live" but that will net you darkside points sometimes. I tried focusing on "love of credits" but that too will net you darkside points. I don't care so much that I get darkside points -- I care that choosing a belief sysetm will make it so that you end up gray.

So other than the 100 darkside points I picked up from doing what I thought I should, I just always choose the lightside option. That, of course, sorta ruins the RP experience of the whole thing but since there's gear based on my choices I feel like I'm stuck.

That's how I feel I just wish they would remove the "light 1 or dark 1" requirements from gear like every dang piece has it on it and it's annoying to get an upgrade and guess what? can't use the blasted thing :( but I know bioware said they going to add neutral stuff before to long :/