So... that's it? Really?

Trollokdamus

The Chevin Conglomerate has decreed that you will have until next Tuesday (August 21st) at 2AM CDT (12AM PDT/3AM EDT/8 AM BST/9AM CEST/5PM AEST) to finish up the Grand Acquisitions Race. They've also decreed that the Shady Dealer will remain for an additional week after the race ends, citing "feedback" as the primary reason.

Good luck!

I guess this means we won't see any additional questlines and/or event rewards.

May i ask then, what was the point of "A Questionable Motive" quest chain? Why were we so suspicious, spying on Chevin? What about their fleet, which is supposed to "arrive at any moment"? What about ideograms? What about the blaster battle between spaceport security and shady persons on Dromund Kaas?

This is one thing.

Another thing is, let's imagine a person who would really like to collect all the rewards on his character. The Sand People set alone costs 140 tokens. If we add a pet, a mount and a bowcaster to the list, the number of tokens will be 570. Now let's think of the sources of tokens. A non-repeatable main quest and a quest chain. My character has completed everything but the 2 remaining "Lead" quests, and he's sitting at 80 tokens. Of course, there is also an endless supply of smuggler's crates, but they are pretty rare and contain 1-2 tokens each. Not to mention the competition for them.

I was really hoping for continuation of the event story - additional quest chain, maybe even dailies and rewards with the Chevin fleet and ideograms involved. But considering there are just 4 (3) days left, it's very unlikely that something like this will happen.

Honestly, i'd love to be wrong about everything i said, but so far nothing gives me any reason for doubt.

edit:

You know... a thought just came to my mind. It really looks like event was still in works when it was forcibly launched, being completed by 30-50% at best. Explains why it ends so abruptly, as well as all those ridiculous bugs, poorly thought out quest design and rewards. A fact that they wrote "Scattered across all parts of the galaxy,...", when in reality we have just 2 planets for each faction, also supports this.

Edited by Trollokdamus

Trying to be optimistic here...(not really working for me), but perhaps there will be more rewards added after tomorrow's last quest unlocks? Doubt it, though...but I guess we can hope. If not, it's not the end of the world - it just means other classes/ACs (like myself, a marauder main) will get the love next event.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest the handing in of the overarching quest after all parts are unlocked will solve the mystery of the fleet you're so worried about. Bet there's even gonna be a decision of sides!

As for getting ALL TEH THINGS!... you'll have to make choices. Which is a good thing. Having to choose makes an item feel more important, because you chose it over others, not because you chose it first while getting the rest. There are ways of getting more currency, like hoarding them from alts, buying them from other people, or grinding boxes. If you won't or can't, then choose.

We as a spoiled community have to get out of this mentality of 'everyone needs to get everything', or things will get even more dumbed down than they already are. Which they probably will anyway, but the butthurt complaining every time you have to make a choice will only speed up the decline.

:edit: I'll agree on the strange choice in rewards though, especially the weapons. Feels incomplete and rushed. But that doesn't invalidate having to choose which rewards you want.

Edited by SW-Angelus

Can agree it seems a bit funny to just cut this off so hastily, when people have been yelling for content for months.

Actually had me hooked on knowing what sort of evil these crazy Chevin were gonna pull off with a set of ancient eating utensils. A mystery for the ages...

If you start it on Saturday, you'll still be able to finish it completely by Tuesday morning. :)

If he starts on Saturday he can also finish Saturday. My Republic toon started 3 hrs ago and managed to do all missions except one. The unlocks on the 'lead' missions are universal. In other words anyone starting tomorrow will be able to finish every single mission in one sitting. No scaling like with the Rakghoul event.

EDIT: MillionsKnives beat me to it /shakefist :)

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

Or it could be that the event isn't entirely over. Sure, this "portion" of the event could be, but in a few weeks, we might see the story continue in another event, or in one of the new ops, or flashpoints, or whatever.

Never know. I'm just enjoying it for what it isn't, not complaining about what it's not.

If he starts on Saturday he can also finish Saturday. My Republic toon started 3 hrs ago and managed to do all missions except one. The unlocks on the 'lead' missions are universal. In other words anyone starting tomorrow will be able to finish every single mission in one sitting. No scaling like with the Rakghoul event.

EDIT: MillionsKnives beat me to it /shakefist :)

I didn't mean to imply a non-universal unlocking...though in reading my text back, that's what it does imply. Sorry!

The planet Makeb=Gree homeworld

The Rakghoul event was promotional for the Lost Island and Kaon Under Siege flashpoint.

This Grand Acquisitions Race is promotional for Makeb. We'll probably get the full story when Makeb releases or a follow up event.

Just because they've announced the event's end date doesn't mean that they've revealed all of the steps.

Tomorrow is Friday, at which point the last known quest will be unlocked. That still leaves Saturday, Sunday, and Monday for them to potentially add/unlock more stuff to do.

The planet Makeb=Gree homeworld

The Rakghoul event was promotional for the Lost Island and Kaon Under Siege flashpoint.

This Grand Acquisitions Race is promotional for Makeb. We'll probably get the full story when Makeb releases or a follow up event.

Very cool. With luck you end up being right. I guess the anti-climax derives from comparing this event unfavourably with the Rakghoul one.

The RP event had more resources poured into it. 9 codex entries. 3 World bosses (1 set in the Tatooine PvP zone...making it a tricky bugger to take down). More missions with various stages to each. It lasted 10 days. The rewards were arguably more useful. The overall quality of it was noticeably better. More polished.

I liked this event a lot but I got the distinct feeling of things being shoddily done. I hope the quality of the new 'F2P content every 6 weeks Yehah!!!' is better than this effort.

You know... a thought just came to my mind. It really looks like event was still in works when it was forcibly launched, being completed by 30-50% at best.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Honest, they were boasting their little hearts out that a NEW and EXCITING event would happen in SWTOR and this is what we got - a mess of an 'event' that, in its current state, shows that they have learned NOTHING from the previous event.

Catering to only 3 Classes in the game, BoP Adaptive gear (sigh. Could've been Legacy, like we wanted with the Containment Officer set) that looks very out of place - as a friend of mine stated "It gives us something to do, but not something we want to do." and I agree. No crystals, no pistols, no vibroswords or techstaves. Poor.

PS. To the people yapping that that Legacy stuff will help you transfer barrels to alts; big deal. It's clearly not intended and if it is, that shouldn't be the main reason to get one of those bloody things. Remove head from rectum immediately.

If you start it on Saturday, you'll still be able to finish it completely by Tuesday morning. :)

*EDIT*

If you start it on Saturday, you'll be able to finish it completely by Saturday night.

So disappointed in this world event it's not even funny. I have my gripes about the Rewards (not exactly what I'd classify as "untold riches," or however it was described), but even more so I am just so frustrated by the nature of the event. On paper, a galactic scavenger hunt sounds pretty entertaining. In practice, it's an absolute mess. Two planets??? Really? That's "galactic?" I guess technically it involves more than just one planet, but to not include any other planets when there are NINE items to find just seems like half-measures to me.

On top of that, the quests' story/fun/playability is totally eclipsed by the fact that you have dozens of selfish idiots who either only want to help themselves or mess with other peoples' game experience running around clicking all the quest objectives, jumping the line of people who have been waiting, or messing up fights/events for other players. Other people's behavior certainly isn't BioWare's fault, but the quest design certainly is...we're in the middle of an almost six month long content drought....what did they think, that players were just going to stand in an orderly line, sipping tea and listening to the theme from Masterpiece Theatre, politely waiting their turn? Absolutely not! Pretty much 99% of the players I've seen participating in this world event are behaving like dogs in heat.

The biggest problem with that is that it makes the quests impossible to "figure out" on your own. It might have been nice to fiddle with the laser puzzle on DK, or do some trial and error on the droid race, etc, etc...but you pretty much only get one shot at each quest, forcing most players to look up the strats prior to doing the quest to avoid having to spend a significant amount of time on something that yields very little reward.

This is just so disappointing to see the announcement that it'll all be over Tuesday, with no implication that there's going to be anything new to do over the weekend. All week, I've been holding out that something big will drop on Friday, that this whole hunt is just a precursor to something more epic...but I guess not. I find it really hard to keep faith that ANYTHING that drops in the future is going to be worth the time. Is the supposed galactic hunt for HK-51 going to be just as frustrating? What about Terror from Beyond? Will that just be another piddling 4-boss Operation that most guilds will have on farm after the first couple weeks?

/nerdrage

/troll

Whatever...to me, this world event represented a lot more than something new to do for a week. It's a gauge of the developer's ability to continue to still produce fun, exciting content in the wake of an almost total implosion of the game. I don't know how long this event was in development, but it sure seems like it was more of an afterthought. I think the only thing I can try and tell myself to stay positive about the future is that hopefully, with how little effort it seems was put in to the WE, most of that time was spent making other new content amazing. That, and that maybe there's some content added in today's patch (so it couldn't be data-mined) that will keep the weekend interesting...to give credit where credit is due, the dev team certainly has always had an enthusiastic attitude about trying to surprise us as much as they can when it comes to world events.

Maybe the guy who wrote it was fired? Maybe they wanted the six month subs to stay on for another month? Who knows! They don't release anything substantial. That makes it feel like they cannot confidently tell you what's going to happen because they don't know if they'll be around long enough to release the official information... Not good if you are paying in advance for a product, to know whether it is going to be good or not! But, some information is released that never comes to fruition. Reverse that business model BW, and you will have good customer relations.

Release substantial information with real world application, not "this is new, oh wait we changed that. Nevermind.", and keep the "here's what we have planned but cannot deliver" to yourself.

Personally I suspect this is just a prologue to the Chevin and Gree becoming the new bad guy later. I find myself thinking that, no matter how sacrilegious, the Empire and Republic may have a common enemy in the Chevin and Gree with new content.

Catering to only 3 Classes in the game, BoP Adaptive gear (sigh. Could've been Legacy, like we wanted with the Containment Officer set) that looks very out of place - as a friend of mine stated "It gives us something to do, but not something we want to do." and I agree. No crystals, no pistols, no vibroswords or techstaves. Poor.

Okay, so I can't refute everything, but I thought I'd at least offer this...

I asked Systems Designer David Hunt why the Sand People Bloodguard outfit is currently bind on pickup instead of bind on Legacy, and he let me know that it will be changed to bind on Legacy in the future - this will also affect the Imperial and Republic Containment Officer outfits from the Rakghoul event.

So at least one of your gripes will be fixed. :)

PS. To the people yapping that that Legacy stuff will help you transfer barrels to alts; big deal. It's clearly not intended and if it is, that shouldn't be the main reason to get one of those bloody things. Remove head from rectum immediately.

Well, as for this, the main reason I got one was because they look cool and are a classic "Star Warsy" type item. I gave it to Iresso for now, and he looks awesome using it. Though being able to transfer my purple endurance crystal I mistakenly got before I understood the crit one would be better for my healer over to the tank I'm currently leveling is a pretty sweet bonus! ;)

Ding ding ding! We have a winner. Honest, they were boasting their little hearts out that a NEW and EXCITING event would happen in SWTOR and this is what we got - a mess of an 'event' that, in its current state, shows that they have learned NOTHING from the previous event.

The gear is bind on legacy after an update, Allison stated that.

and take your own advice.