Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

What's in Your Augment Slots?

FourTwent

I'm not aware of any other topics about this, so thought it would be great to get a collective idea on what people have in their slots, and why.

Are you going with the main stat augments to get your main stat as high as possible?

Are you going with Overkill augments to get as much power as possible?

Or are you using the Surge, Accuracy, or Defense type augments to fill out your sub stats as much as possible?

I'm not aware of any other topics about this, so thought it would be great to get a collective idea on what people have in their slots, and why.

Are you going with the main stat augments to get your main stat as high as possible?

Are you going with Overkill augments to get as much power as possible?

Or are you using the Surge, Accuracy, or Defense type augments to fill out your sub stats as much as possible?

Advanced Overkill Augment 22. In every single one. Cause Im a power addict. I cant get enough. Power makes my Force In Balance go Boom.

Augments need to be rebalanced, particularly the balance between offensive ones and defensive ones.

Frickin' get rid of power from defense and shield augments, please.

DPS/offensive builds stack up on END as well as increasing their important crit/surge stats.... wheras defensive/tank builds, can't really use any of the important defensive augs... because those augs are devoid of the END stat -- the irony being that defensive/tank builds cannot really maximize their defense rating/shield rating stats, because the penalty in HP is too great. Now is that stupid or what.

If anything, augs that enhance crti/surge should be given the power stat, and all the END stat should move over to defensive augments. If anything, this will allow defensive/tank builds to maximize their defensive qualities as well as icrease HP at the cost of having pathetic damage.

Why does this make sense? Because people are complaining the general damage is too high in the game, as well as some classes being considered "OP" because they have the benefit of both high damage and high defense. Remove the END stat from crit or surge related augments -- the more superior damage you wield, the more the glass cannon you become, that's the way it should be.

I try some Power/Defense.

Firstly because my main (Shadow) is tank and Synthweaver, and I find tanks lacks survivability, so I try to max Defensive rates.

Second, my Sniper has a sufficient DPS to kill people so I don't try to put some insane number and crit "OVER 9000" and I prefer do be more versatile, polyvalent. Defense rate is the only defensive rate that works on non-tanks, and even if it is not really worth of it as long as Defensive rates are not universally effective, Power remains and boost me.

Depends on the class and spec. Can't really go wrong with Power though, since it helps everybody. I put all main stat augs because with +9% talent and +5% buff it's basically the same damage bonus, but the extra crit helps a ton. It allowed me to change my spec so that I didn't waste 3 talent points for 3% crit bonus, which is worth it even if it were less damage bonus than power.

Gah, there are so many different answers to the main stat, weather it should be 1600, 1800, 2000 etc.

Does anyone know with certainty what one should have? I mean, at what point can you start focusing on Power for example, instead of your mainstat?

Gah, there are so many different answers to the main stat, weather it should be 1600, 1800, 2000 etc.

Does anyone know with certainty what one should have? I mean, at what point can you start focusing on Power for example, instead of your mainstat?

I am confused hehe:D

i've heard people say mainstat to 2000

is there any data somewhere to prove otherwise?

Nope, both power and main stat have gains that are completely linear. Yes, even the crit. The crit only has diminishing returns based on your crit rating, not your critical chance.

If you're a force/tech user, I hear power benefits straight damage more. If only there were crit/power enhancements.... sniff..

This has been covered elsewhere before. No-one can honestly answer this question for all characters because stats are of varying benefit to different classes and specs.

You need to find out what works best for your characters. Main stat augment is best for mine.

Formulas for calculating stats have been kindly researched by these guys: http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-364.html

Edited by Wainamoinen

Nope, both power and main stat have gains that are completely linear. Yes, even the crit. The crit only has diminishing returns based on your crit rating, not your critical chance...

Not quite true.

Bonus damage from power and main stat IS linear, no diminishing returns as you get more.

But crit chance from main stat DOES have diminishing returns (as does crit chance from the crit stat).

HOWEVER, it scales separately from the crit chance you get from the crit stat on your gear.

Crit chance from main stat and crit stat both max at 30% extra crit chance each. You also get 5% base. You may also get a little from secondary stat. Then add any extra crit chance from class abilites, buffs, etc.

I also wish I could get more crit. Can't get enough. Stupid imaginary power/crit mods.

Edited by Wainamoinen

Not quite true.

Bonus damage from power and main stat IS linear, no diminishing returns as you get more.

But crit chance from main stat DOES have diminishing returns (as does crit chance from the crit stat).

HOWEVER, it scales separately from the crit chance you get from the crit stat on your gear.

Crit chance from main stat and crit stat both max at 30% extra crit chance each. You also get 5% base. You may also get a little from secondary stat. Then add any extra crit chance from class abilites, buffs, etc.

I also wish I could get more crit. Can't get enough. Stupid imaginary power/crit mods.

This guy just summed it all. I have calculated it before, here it is from a Juggernaut's perspective. But in short, stick with mainstat:

Profile with Power Augments:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/b5fffaa5-7494-41cb-ab6a-76258a82a6f0

Here is a quick summary of the stats:

Strength = 1502.9

Power = 1284.0

Damage Melee = 949.7 – 1111.7

Accuracy Melee = 96.34%

Critical Chance Melee = 23.43%

Critical Multiplier Melee = 77.95%

Bonus Damage Force = 1025.5

Accuracy Force = 106.34%

Critical Chance Force = 30.60%

Critical Multiplier Force = 107.95%

Health = 18973.4

Expertise = 1211

Profile with Strength Augments:

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/45beb788-5a88-4da2-917a-2d7fd8025578

Here is a quick summary of the stats:

Strength = 1782.7

Power = 1032.0

Damage Melee = 947.6 – 1109.6

Accuracy Melee = 96.34%

Critical Chance Melee = 24.89%

Critical Multiplier Melee = 77.95%

Bonus Damage Force = 1023.2

Accuracy Force = 106.34%

Critical Chance Force = 32.06%

Critical Multiplier Force = 107.95%

Health = 18973.4

Expertise = 1211

Bottom line, the difference between the two profiles is quite simple. Compared to full power augments, the full strength augments will provide the player with a total damage loss of 2.1 (Which is very minimal) but nets a gain of 1.46% in Crit. Earlier I did say we could sacrifice Crit, but 2.1 total damage vs 1.46% Crit is a big tradeoff. As of patch 1.3, full strength augments are still better. Here is why:

1 Strength = + 0.2 Damage and + 0.03% Crit

1 power = + 0.23 Damage.

Buffs that modify our strength:

1 strength = 1 * (1 + 0.05(Buff) +0.06(Talent)) = 1.11

1.11 * 0.2 Damage= 0.222 Damage

This is the reason why the difference in Damage is so minimal while benefitting from a nice Crit increase. Also the Crit gained from strength is on a different diminishing return curve than Crit rating itself which turns out to be another advantage.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.