Anyone else.. underwhelmed?

Jowy

You don't get your 30 days without entering a subscription, unless this is unlike any other MMORPG in the history of gaming. I believe it says right on the box "Requires active subscription to play"

Im quite sure you get your 30 days free no matter what.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. Something is missing, but I can't put my finger on it.

Its teh innovation.

SWTOR is a good traditional mmo. But thats all it is. Its not really given us anything new in terms of gameplay. So if you were burnt out on WOW style hotkey MMOs, you'll not find what you are looking for here.

Dont get me wrong, what it does it does well, its just that BW appear to have played it safe in terms of design and not taken any risks on new features.

I think like someone mentioned before it's caused by the linear questing and instanced worlds. I Personally love exploring, wich at least in the starting planets doesn't give much room for that.

The instanced worlds part makes it feel less crowded.

Maybe it's a good job playing stability wise, but in all honesty it also makes u miss that grand big massive feeling like an mmo stands for :p

I rather see alot of people, and if it's really crowded in an area increased respawn rate than barely meeting anyone. Especially on a RP server it doesn't really help building a Community

Just the 2 flaws imo, still a great game. (maybe it's healthier if i also dont want to play as much, wich i atm still do.. just waiting for that 2nd english Eu Rppvp server to get my bounty hunter rolling :p)

i think everyone else is right in saying that you over hyped the game thats why you feel that way. I did the opposite and thought it was gonna be a piece of crap like Rift and DC universe, i stopped playing those games in a week. SWTOR feels different though, I played 8 hours straight the first day i got my early access invite. I havent done that with any other mmo in years.

And as people have been saying, overhyping was pretty much the worst thing you could do, you have put an axe through a game you have been waiting years for.

Lets hope you learn from this and instead enjoy the next mmo that comes your way :)

Edited by shenfrey

Hey guys,

I'll try to keep this short so people actually read the first post this time. I always anticipated that when SWTOR launched, I would be playing it pretty much 24/7 for the next few weeks. Afterall, I've followed it since 2008 when these forums came out, checking out every friday update and listening to every ToroCast podcast each week. I was really pumped just before getting access, couldn't wait to play!

Then I got in and... I don't know. I just feel really underwhelmed. I don't feel like playing more than an hour a day. And the funny thing is, I really enjoyed the game so far! It's pretty damn perfect and exceeded alot of my expectations. But why do I feel underwhelmed? I don't know... Somehow, something just killed my hype. Maybe it's one hour server queues? Maybe the fact that people are at 50 when I'm at 10? I dunno..

Anyone else feel underwhelmed by launch?

Which is it?

This " It's pretty damn perfect and exceeded alot of my expectations."

or

This "underwhelmed"

Troll post.

Same here. Something is missing, but I can't put my finger on it.

You are getting older and more experienced -- there will never be the same awe and fascination as there was with EQ, WOW, etc. I find myself, with each year passed and each new game, a little less giddy like a child and more businesslike. Does not mean there is not fun here, it is a remarkably polished product so far and I enjoy it a lot. It is like Christmas losing its magic as you get older and older.

Even though you say you enjoyed it, sounds to me that its just not the game for you if all you do is play 1 hour a day. It happens, we do look forward to games then find out we dont enjoy it as much as other people.

Is this your first MMO?

I love the arrogance of people when they make this statement about someone they have not met, or more than likely will never meet in their lifetime. This game has a huge burn out factor built into it. Either follow the dev path to 50 or pvp to 50. Thats not much in between the player base can really be doing. Either BW has to break the rinse and repeat missions or this game is headed for a fall.

Exceeded your expectations AND you're underwhelmed?

i might be missing something but i dont think those go together.

I think what he meant was, Exceeded his expectations because: It appears the game could be good and last (which is unusual today) but underwhelmed because even though he's happy with how its turned out so far, he's not very excited to play it.....which is odd.

I kind of feel the same. I thought the game would be way worse at release. Its not, but there are still several things missing from the game.....

One thing I notice that bugs me is we're playing a space game that feels very confining. CONFINING....SPACE...its an oxymoron that exists in SWTOR as of today.

By confining I mean you're pretty much directed where you go through questing. When you do finally get to fly in space....you really have no control of where you're going to end up. Its not like you can take a flight to tatooin by taking the scenic route if you should chose all while dodging the Enemy player's fighters coming after you.....THAT WOULD BE EPIC

Hey guys,

I'll try to keep this short so people actually read the first post this time. I always anticipated that when SWTOR launched, I would be playing it pretty much 24/7 for the next few weeks. Afterall, I've followed it since 2008 when these forums came out, checking out every friday update and listening to every ToroCast podcast each week. I was really pumped just before getting access, couldn't wait to play!

Then I got in and... I don't know. I just feel really underwhelmed. I don't feel like playing more than an hour a day. And the funny thing is, I really enjoyed the game so far! It's pretty damn perfect and exceeded alot of my expectations. But why do I feel underwhelmed? I don't know... Somehow, something just killed my hype. Maybe it's one hour server queues? Maybe the fact that people are at 50 when I'm at 10? I dunno..

I knew people would hit 50 in a matter of days. People are so obsessed about being the first 50 I knew they'd refuse to sleep. Rather unhealthy but people are like that.

You are getting older and more experienced -- there will never be the same awe and fascination as there was with EQ, WOW, etc. I find myself, with each year passed and each new game, a little less giddy like a child and more businesslike. Does not mean there is not fun here, it is a remarkably polished product so far and I enjoy it a lot. It is like Christmas losing its magic as you get older and older.

^ this

We are always trying to recreate that first good "high". But once you've done it, it can't ever be recreated.

I've been underwhelmed with MMOs before. I'd prefer things to be a little more hardcore. But I'm still truckin'. I'm low enough level that I hope the devs catch up before max out. So far I'm finding my class itself to be challenging. Which I like.

I am a little underwhelmed also but I think it's mostly due to the incredible hype that's been going on long term. I wonder if things might feel different had BW not trickled information on a weekly basis but just kept silent about the whole development process. Maybe every few months coming out with something a little droolworthy.

I appreciate they thought that being more transparent with the fan base was going to build trust and interest, but at the same time I think that it has built up expectations too highly in some players and the end result is disappointing.

So far I am really enjoying the game. I'm in it for the long haul but I wouldn't call it amazing. What I'm enjoying the most is the chance to play a game with friends again.

But yes, as others have commented, the game seems to be missing something.

As excited as I was for SWTOR I find myself feeling sort of “meh” about the game at the moment.

I don’t know what my problem is, I’ve played the game for about a 2 months in beta and at the moment I’d rather play Skyrim for a second time them play SWTOR.

I think for me there is just a lack of challenge and has a very on the rails feel to the game, I’m also not a fan of the city environments. After a while I feel like I’m playing in a box … and they become annoying “if you’ve seen one long hallway you seen them all”

I love Bioware games and I love MMO’s but this just feel like someone spilt some overdone MMO in my Bioware game. The game needs a lot of depth added or it needs to present its depth to players earlier.

The MMO features of the game are right out of the 2004 playbook and my tastes in gaming have moved on to wanting a more “free roam” experience.

Over all a solid MMO but sadly if you remove the Star Wars wraper it's a 6 out of 10.

Hey guys,

This game is eating away my life, so I can't really empathize with you. Try another class.

The MMO features of the game are right out of the 2004 playbook and my tastes in gaming have moved on to wanting a more “free roam” experience.

Considering sandboxes MMOs are either very niche or dying/dead (even EVE is having quite a few problems), and the MMO industry is going more and more toward heavily scripted, linear games, maybe you should look outside the genre.

Also, anything that tries to reproduce a pre-WOW (or pre -TBC) feel, is welcome in my book

To the OP's question...no.

I'm pretty much the exact opposite - I saw a few bits of info about the game a couple of years back and said "pass". I only preordered because I was bored stiff and needed something to do, yet I'm finding the game incredibly engaging and fun to play, I may even stick around to level several characters just for the story content.

Maybe if people stopped getting "hyped" for games years in advance of release by falling for insidious marketing, then they wouldn't have such ludicrously high expectations, and they'd enjoy things more.

I believe this post was created to try and balance the sever amount of fanboi posts created on the forums. There are a lot of good things about the game and a lot of very bad things too, with my number one problem being the lack of a combat log. Player interaction UI is also quite poor but I think I will play the game to its story end and see what else there is to do, if it cant hold my attention then I will stop.