EA confident that people will be playing The Old Republic a decade from now

Taorus

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever hear of the WARN Act? If you lay off more then 50 people in a given location, you are required to announce 60 days in advance and give notice to the employees. The recent layoffs everyone is worked up about are the WARN terminations. Announce in May, exit in July.

You can exit employees on WARN immediately, but you still have to keep the employee on your payroll for 60 days. Most companies actually exit employees at various stages during the 60 day notice period.

Game critics really should be more informed IMO.

Thanks for the clearification.

Your business acumen and insight is an awesome thing to behold. Can you give us some tips on how Goldman-Sachs will be doing next year as well?

How about alot better than SWTOR, that good enough for you.

You dont have to be a genious to realize that the subs are low. There are 26 real servers now. The three in australia barely hit standard. Then that leaves 23 in EU/NA and out of those about 7 dont get over standard. Only until yesterday has servers shown full and that was only like 4-6 of them. Maybe its because people logged in or maybe its because Bioware reduced the server caps to save some money. Remember they said they were going to monitor the servers and adjust them as necessary, that means up and down doesnt it?

No once again... But for the people with reading comprehension problems.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/07/ea...ember-30-2012/ <-----

Completed By Sept, 30 2012 Today is only July 30 2012....Same lay-offs.

It just redirects to Joystick.com doesn't take me to your link. I doubt that many news outlets would make the mistake of claiming another round of layoffs when it was actually the same one.

If you use google, then read what you search. It is pretty clear from all the press coverage that the announcements made in May are ongoing... which is consistent with how a large layoff is handled under WARN.

Of course, you can read into something anything you like, and I have followed your posts for a long time Tuscad... so it's a given how you will slant things.

It just redirects to Joystick.com doesn't take me to your link. I doubt that many news outlets would make the mistake of claiming another round of layoffs when it was actually the same one.

Of course the press never gets the facts wrong. No.... never. ever. :p

Sorry must have cut link here...http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/07/ea-planning-upcoming-layoffs-completed-by-september-30-2012/

Of course, you can read into something anything you like, and I have followed your posts for a long time Tuscad... so it's a given how you will slant things.

I guess we are more alike then you realize because I have followed your posts for a long time too and I have noticed how you always slant things in favor of this game.

Yeah it takes them 4 months to lay off people :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That looks good.

Since it is part of a business restructuring... it may take longer then 4 months. Very typcial in the tech industry where you can release some people immediately, but others you actually pay retention incentives to keep them for some period of time after the announed layoffs BECASUSE they have key knowledge you want to transfer. Most employees will take the retention incentive as it's usually the equivalent of 2-6 months extra salary if they stay until their official exit date.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/07/ea-planning-upcoming-layoffs-completed-by-september-30-2012/

I'm far from convinced that's the same thing as the Bioware layoffs (given that they'd be talking about nearly 50-100% of the EA layoff happening at Bioware - given that they've laid off so many already).

As recently as a few weeks ago, EA outright denied reports of upcoming layoffs. Those reports put the number at 5 to 10 percent of EA's workforce, or approximately 500 to 1,000 employees. EA corporate rep Jeff Brown told Joystiq that the restructuring "impacts a relatively small number of EA's 9,000 employees." He added, "Most importantly, EA is hiring and we expect to finish the year with more employees, not fewer."

Also we'll have to see if they intend to end up with more Bioware employees rather than less by the end of the year, if indeed the 2 waves of Bioware layoffs are part of the EA-wide ones.

And if indeed the Bioware layoff are part of that 500-1000 there could still be a lot more layoffs at Bioware coming. :(

Edited by Goretzu

I guess we are more alike then you realize because I have followed your posts for a long time too and I have noticed how you always slant things in favor of this game.

I rarely comment on the actual game in any depth, because quite frankly like/dislike is a subjective matter for each person to decide.

I do however like to comment to take bias and non-fact thrown around the forum by people with little actual business understanding, back to the generally accepted level of facts especially on the business aspects of corporations, for which EA/Bioware is one. ;)

wish you had posted this the other day. Seemed like every 3 bashers were referencing some lay off. 1 guy quit. He was an important guy, but he quit. Then people went all Chicken Little. "Bioware lays off everyone. Game's dying. omgooglies!"

July 18th, more:

http://torwars.com/2012/07/18/ea-confirms-layoffs-at-bioware-austin/

July 17th:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-17-ea-confirms-bioware-austin-layoffs-date-back-to-may

EA has confirmed that layoffs at developer BioWare Austin have been ongoing since it was announced that the studio would be undergoing restructuring and staff reductions back in May.

While the reductions may have been announced in May, starting with a rumored 200, I don't believe many thought they would continue indefinitely.

We've had tremendously positive feedback from our fans and our subscribers

I want some of whatever he's smoking!

Also, I wish people will stop saying this game has 1.3 million subs! I'd be surprised if it had 300k

How about alot better than SWTOR, that good enough for you.

You dont have to be a genious to realize that the subs are low. There are 26 real servers now. The three in australia barely hit standard. Then that leaves 23 in EU/NA and out of those about 7 dont get over standard. Only until yesterday has servers shown full and that was only like 4-6 of them. Maybe its because people logged in or maybe its because Bioware reduced the server caps to save some money. Remember they said they were going to monitor the servers and adjust them as necessary, that means up and down doesnt it?

Or they raised them again because more capacity normally means less lag as you approach capacity. You present no real data as usual, just speculation.

The rumours coming out of BW say that the layoffs were contract staff and also in the non-development areas. The latter would be fully in line with the article about EA's restructuring plans.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

July 18th, more:

http://torwars.com/2012/07/18/ea-confirms-layoffs-at-bioware-austin/

July 17th:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-17-ea-confirms-bioware-austin-layoffs-date-back-to-may

While the reductions may have been announced in May, starting with a rumored 200, I don't believe many thought they would continue indefinitely.

In case you missed the link. http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/07/ea-planning-upcoming-layoffs-completed-by-september-30-2012/ They have stated when they will be completed by...Not Indefinitely.......If there are more after 30 Sept 2012, Then there may be some concern.

Also, I wish people will stop saying this game has 1.3 million subs! I'd be surprised if it had 300k

300k is way too low in my opinion. I could see 500-600k as the bare bones minimum number of subs that this game has with 900k-1 mil the max. I think this game has 750k subs + 20-50k free trials.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/07/ea...ember-30-2012/ <-----

It seems to be all part of the same "layoff window" until October. But every wave that comes is another shot in the gut for EA and whatever other subsidiary (like Bioware) it affects. IMO it looks like a conveniant way to put everyone on notice so you can see how the game is doing sub-wise and let people go on the fly.

For the employees let go, I'm sure they are not simply saying "Pink slip? Oh, that's those layoffs that started in May, yah that's cool." It's new to them.

Also, for any and all companies, "Restructuring" = "Not making enough money."

Also in this link of yours they seem to be talking about company wide layoffs and canning engineers and layoffs resulting from their switch to digital services. It says nothing about Bioware, and yet Bioware Austin is being hit.

300k is way too low in my opinion. I could see 500-600k as the bare bones minimum number of subs that this game has with 900k-1 mil the max. I think this game has 750k subs + 20-50k free trials.

We agree!

Please make a note of that in your journal Tuscad. I know I am going to. :D

Perhaps they are talking about feedback received via their e-mail requests to players who provide feedback instead of some of the garbage spouted on forums.

I know I gave positive feedback and suggestions in response to receiving a mail, prior to ever commenting on the forums.

Unless there is a big revamp of the game which includes a free-form space component, social games, open world PvP, I doubt it will last much past next year.

I would love to see space battle kind of like what Star Trek Online has.... that was the only reason I played it

Also in this link of yours they seem to be talking about company wide layoffs and canning engineers and layoffs resulting from their switch to digital services. It says nothing about Bioware, and yet Bioware Austin is being hit.

That is actually pretty normal for corporations. They like to announce restructurings and lump a lot of stuff into them from all over the company. There is usually a major event that triggers them, but then they scoop other stuff in before the restructuring charge (its a one time charge on their books) is closed. Restructurings make great umbrella actions because they have very specific reporting and tax consequences and structure to them. Companies can actually hide a lot of little bits and pieces under them. So if its an EA announcement, they could scoop a lot of things into the restructuring, including costs that normally would hit an operations line in their reporting.

I would love to see space battle kind of like what Star Trek Online has.... that was the only reason I played it

It is pretty cool...but it's not really Star Wars type of combat which is more like dog fighting. Star Trek is more like naval battles or something.

They need to make it Star Wars-y somehow.