Out of line, or Part of the game PVP Ganking on a PvE server?

DOHboy

So, I play on a PvE server and am a JK Sentinal (mostly Columi gear), and am not really keen on the PVP aspects of the game (have not tried it but have no real urge to do so either). I was on Corellia BlackHole running lvl 50 dailies (which can be frustrating enough), when about 2 minutes into the area, out of nowhere about (what seemed like) a group of at least 8 Imp players were basically ganking single players in PVP and instantly killing them. Basically minding my own business fighting NPCs and BAM! surrounded by about 8 imp PVPers running around just kililng people. I had no warning, no real expectation to be in PVP and no urge to do so, yet suddenly found myself having to rez back at the med center.

It was easy enough to switch instances and not have to run the risk, but to me personally it REALLY took the fun out of the game. I know it may have been fun for them, but I've always believed that its never a good idea to have "fun" at someone else's expense. I guess what I'm asking is this expected behavior on a PVE server? Was I out of line for reporting the player (only had the one name)? If I wanted to be killed at random I would be on a PVP server, or go to a PVP instance, or queue for PVP warzones...but not in the middle of my daily runs.

your thoughts?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its logical to kill any enemys you see,player or not,in an area where such a thing is allowed

whats not logical however is allowing this to happen on a pve server,in a space that is not exclusively pvp...

save that kind of thing for a pvp server

One of two things, one you were PvP flagged. If you were you are fair game, and annoying to group with for people on the same faction who never have any interest in PvP (due to buffing or healing, companions included, causing a forced PvP flag).

Second option, you weren't flagged and they jumped into your AoE/your companion bugged and hit them causing you to be flagged. In that case report them.

Edited by Raekor

I also play a sentinel on a PVE server, but I relish the PVP aspect. And in fact, I often (usually alone) head to the black hole, sit in the imp daily area, and wait for a fight. And yes, at times I've jumped "unsuspecting" imp players (and vice-versa).

But frankly, you can't jump someone who's PVP flag isn't set. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who's flag is set is fair game. So what happened to you? I've had non-PVP imp players come alongside me, stare at me a while, and then flip their flag and get the first shot at me. And at that point, buddy, your butt is mine.

Sounds like you and the other people were flagged for pvp.

If you dont want to participate in pvp, dont flag.

I dont see the issue here, its 100% optional on PVE servers.

Edited by Ratham
Spelling

It actually isn't 100% optional, but close to. Opposing factions can try and force a misclick by standing flagged in enemies you are attacking, or by jumping into your AoE. Even being careful with single target attacks, your companion can get you flagged (a bug that was meant to be fixed apparently, but wasn't).

My preference would be for a non-flagged player to not be able to use any single target attacks and have AoE not hurt flagged players until the flag is manually switched on.

It actually isn't 100% optional, but close to. Opposing factions can try and force a misclick by standing flagged in enemies you are attacking, or by jumping into your AoE. Even being careful with single target attacks, your companion can get you flagged (a bug that was meant to be fixed apparently, but wasn't).

My preference would be for a non-flagged player to not be able to use any single target attacks and have AoE not hurt flagged players until the flag is manually switched on.

You still clicked / attacked the target... is it cheap that they're getting you to misclick? Yes, but its still you doing it.

If non flagged players are being flagged by using AOE skills, that needs to be changed.

You still clicked / attacked the target... is it cheap that they're getting you to misclick? Yes, but its still you doing it.

If non flagged players are being flagged by using AOE skills, that needs to be changed.

I did not misclick. They slowed me down a lot with me being careful, then somehow my companions heal got me flagged. Either way, attempting to force a misclick on a PvE server is griefing. It is quite obvious after 3 packs the person has no interest in PvP.

Just another reason NOT to do dailies. It has been suggested (strongly) many times that Bioware needs to fix this. There is no way in the world that a player that does not wish to ever participate in PvP (especially open world pvp) should ever be flagged for such. There should be an option that allows you to opt out or in and then if you opt out it would NEVER happen.

So, I play on a PvE server and am a JK Sentinal (mostly Columi gear), and am not really keen on the PVP aspects of the game (have not tried it but have no real urge to do so either). I was on Corellia BlackHole running lvl 50 dailies (which can be frustrating enough), when about 2 minutes into the area, out of nowhere about (what seemed like) a group of at least 8 Imp players were basically ganking single players in PVP and instantly killing them. Basically minding my own business fighting NPCs and BAM! surrounded by about 8 imp PVPers running around just kililng people. I had no warning, no real expectation to be in PVP and no urge to do so, yet suddenly found myself having to rez back at the med center.

It was easy enough to switch instances and not have to run the risk, but to me personally it REALLY took the fun out of the game. I know it may have been fun for them, but I've always believed that its never a good idea to have "fun" at someone else's expense. I guess what I'm asking is this expected behavior on a PVE server? Was I out of line for reporting the player (only had the one name)? If I wanted to be killed at random I would be on a PVP server, or go to a PVP instance, or queue for PVP warzones...but not in the middle of my daily runs.

your thoughts?

Something similar to this happened to me while I was levelling my sin--im on Alderaan fighting this strong Rist opponent and out of nowhere this tool attacks me. Of course I die in seconds as I was already below half and the Rist dude wasn't dead yet THEN after beating me the stroke "glares with contempt"...what a piece of garbage. I was playing on Shien and have no idea how in the world I got queued for PVP--i didn't hit the button nor did I see any countdown timer.

I don't care that I died, I care how I died and that some strawberry foo jumped me when I was already engaged and I had absolutely no idea I somehow ended up in PVP

Actually you don't have to be flagged for PVP, all they have to do is jump into your AOE and bam instantly flagged.

Had this problem the other night on Ilum, all we were trying to do was do the heroic there, and this guy jumped into our AOE, flagged us for PVP and then would wait for us to get into a fight with the elite mobs and jump in, and causing us to wipe.

Same thing happened to me I was grouped with one other guild mate on the empire side doing black hole dailies, it must have been like the second or third day after we transfered to the new server. He was killing a group of npcs that I was out of range of initially and as soon as I went to attack one boom I was flagged because he hit the group with an AOE when a smuggler was standing in the middle flagged. There was a group of 5 them, I did kill two before I ate it, got to love the tanksin. But I can really see how this is frowned on, now I didn't mind it much because well it kind of spiced things up and I don't mind PvP that much. But for someone that isn't looking for that yeah its griefing and I would report the abuse right there.

I play on a PvE server as well but it's surprising how many yellow nameplate characters I see while doing my dailies on Ilum. I guess they think that since they're on a PvE server, nobody will bother them. They couldn't be more wrong. Usually I'll wait until they engage a group of NPCs, I'll then flag myself for PvP, and then walk in and kill them. Is it a dickish move? Yes but it's perfectly within the rules (and fun). Edited by Screaming_Ziva

I play on a PvE server as well but it's surprising how many yellow nameplate characters I see while doing my dailies on Ilum. I guess they think that since they're on a PvE server, nobody will bother them. They couldn't be more wrong. Usually I'll wait until they engage a group of NPCs, I'll then flag myself for PvP, and then walk in and kill them. Is it a dickish move? Yes but it's perfectly within the rules (and fun).

i love you.

They do this in WoW all the time, too. Annoying if your intention is to avoid pvp.

I play on a PvE server as well but it's surprising how many yellow nameplate characters I see while doing my dailies on Ilum. I guess they think that since they're on a PvE server, nobody will bother them. They couldn't be more wrong. Usually I'll wait until they engage a group of NPCs, I'll then flag myself for PvP, and then walk in and kill them. Is it a dickish move? Yes but it's perfectly within the rules (and fun).

That just says you are too weak of a player to take them on fairly. And if you are not too weak then start playing fairly. Might be fun for you but you are ruining the game for others and if they leave and you end up on a dead server only you are to blame.

I don't understand. If you're on a PvE server and in the Black Hole area (not a PvP zone), the only way anyone can attack you is if you're already PvP flagged, right?

If you don't want to be "ganked", don't flag, right?

What am I missing?

I'll then flag myself for PvP, and then walk in and kill them. Is it a dickish move? Yes but it's perfectly within the rules (and fun).

If you flag first then you're being rather sporting about it. The dickish move is to just attack and have that flag you. So they're fighting an NPC at the time? Meh. They ought to pay more attention if they're flagged.

I've no idea why it simply wasn't implemented from the get go that you can only attack/damage a PvP flagged player if you are likewise flagged.

H.

They do this in WoW all the time, too. Annoying if your intention is to avoid pvp.

Very true. It is basically a flaw you will have when you try to mix PVP with PVE on PVE servers. I am thinking it is not that way in Rift. Which has a toggle that prevents you from flagging PVP. Atleast all the time I been playing it, I have never been accidently flagged with that toggle checked on. Which is really the big issue.

Sounds like you and the other people were flagged for pvp.

If you dont want to participate in pvp, dont flag.

Actually no. They weren't PvP flagged cause it has happened to me and some others the other day. What it is is that they use an AOE to aggro your companion, which in turn, aggros you. Not sure if it is intended, but it shouldn't happen on a PvE server.

Second option, you weren't flagged and they jumped into your AoE/your companion bugged and hit them causing you to be flagged. In that case report them.

This has happened to me and my husband before. It is hard enough getting all the crates when the area is full, let alone having to worry about who is around when you aoe a npc.

Actually you don't have to be flagged for PVP, all they have to do is jump into your AOE and bam instantly flagged.

Had this problem the other night on Ilum, all we were trying to do was do the heroic there, and this guy jumped into our AOE, flagged us for PVP and then would wait for us to get into a fight with the elite mobs and jump in, and causing us to wipe.

There are a bunch of Imp Tools on Shadowlands in a specific guild that run flagged all the time and basically use this exploit at every oportunity. The were out in force on Hoth last night and basically camping the shared quest area. It slowed down my questing and made it more frustraiting not being able to use all of my abilities but, I insulated myself from that freaking exploit.

Known issue since beta. Fell on the deaf ears of BW. Like they care.:rolleyes: Going on seven months live and BW still tacitly condones griefing. :mad: