Epic Weapons Coming to SWTOR

Wellsprings

I just hope they don't completely demolish itemization for weapons.

Oh, this epic weapon is level 60, but you're still using it at 70 because it's effect is amazing? Ok, NBD, a whole tier of weapons was made for nothing.

The first thing that pops into my head is Legendary Items from LOTRO, Which were a great interesting aspect that slowly got mutated over time into another grind aspect-- I love the general notion of a weapon that I can custom-tweak to impact abilities as they suit me personally, just as many people have their own personal touches on talent builds in all but the utmost minmax raiding.

As long as their is some personalization to it and it isn't too grind heavy (given my 3 50's and an alt of every class type save jugg/guard so far) I think this can be a great thing.

Quoted from the Darth Hater article detailing the latest swtor news at Comic-Con:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/20930-sdcc-2012-announcement-wrap-up

Being a big fan of the epic weapon quests in Everquest, I for one cannot wait.

So long as you don't need to kill the freaking Nightmare Pilgrim (making it the 20 billionth quest for him), I'm looking forward to it.

As long as their is some personalization to it and it isn't too grind heavy (given my 3 50's and an alt of every class type save jugg/guard so far) I think this can be a great thing.

The more difficult the better imo. Epic Weapons shouldn't be something everyone can obtain easily. That's what makes them epic.

Edited by Wellsprings

I liked the epic weapon in EQ1, done at the appropriate level to the quests they took in excess of 6 months of questing to complete including multiple raid drops.

I just hope that it won't be a weapon that someone can get hold of in a week and instead of being an ambitious target that only 1 in 10 people have it turns into the next requirement to join a group.

The first thing that pops into my head is Legendary Items from LOTRO, Which were a great interesting aspect that slowly got mutated over time into another grind aspect-- I love the general notion of a weapon that I can custom-tweak to impact abilities as they suit me personally, just as many people have their own personal touches on talent builds in all but the utmost minmax raiding.

This!

I had a Warden in lotro. He can tank/off tank and do ranged damage. So I had 2 sets of 2 weapons with the implants for the skills I used most. I really hope they are going to go this route.

I liked the epic weapon in EQ1, done at the appropriate level to the quests they took in excess of 6 months of questing to complete including multiple raid drops.

I just hope that it won't be a weapon that someone can get hold of in a week and instead of being an ambitious target that only 1 in 10 people have it turns into the next requirement to join a group.

THIS!

I remember the grind for my Epic Assassin weapon in EQ2, man that was brutal, but once you got it, it was a great feeling.

This makes me very sad. Yoda and Palpatine weren't more powerful because they looted a lightsaber in their adventures. Epic weapons is a fantasy trope. It has little place in this game. Player power needs to be primarily inherent to the character, not external from their clothes they wear. At least for the Force Users.

I really wish the devs would consider other means of progressing player power that isn't ripped straight out of the fantasy MMORPGs. :(

I really wish the devs would consider other means of progressing player power that isn't ripped straight out of the fantasy MMORPGs. :(

This

My Sorcerer couldn't care less for a Lightsaber. And my Guardian would deflect the same blasts with a lv10 Lightsaber.

Progression in power for force users on the form of Epic questlines or whatever should be after knowledge, not fancy weapons/clothes.

Since they're copying WoW in most other aspects, your best bet is to look at the legendaries there, all of which require that you kill raid bosses to gather a bunch of mats in addition to running fluff quests. Except for outdated content, legendaries there are not for casuals. I'd hope it would be similar in SWtOR; otherwise, what's the point? It would be nice if they found some sort of twist on that system to make it interesting, though.

The more grind heavy the better imo. Epic Weapons shouldn't be something everyone can obtain easily. That's what makes them epic.

Grinding isn't the only way to frame something like this and not everyone (not even close) enjoys grinding.

This

My Sorcerer couldn't care less for a Lightsaber. And my Guardian would deflect the same blasts with a lv10 Lightsaber.

Progression in power for force users on the form of Epic questlines or whatever should be after knowledge, not fancy weapons/clothes.

Exactly, after your class quest you have become pretty much the biggest force in the galaxy in your own area of influence, so really you should just be handed an epic-looking weapon as a mark of the status you have already attained.

Unlike this:

Screw that!

It better be grind heavy, or else it will be a joke,because everyone will have one within a week.

How "epic" is that? It's not.

I'm having trouble imagining what an "Epic Grind" could even mean in a Star Wars context. Like, how would an "Epic Grind" and Luke Skywalker relate to each other? I'm drawing a total blank here.

In the lore, a Jedi or Sith crafts their lightsaber. It's a personal weapon, built by hand. How does the concept of an 'epic' quest fit here? I'm not opposed to these types of quests in the right context. In Everquest II, I completed the mythical quests for both my Fury (druid) and Dirge (bard). But the basis for fantasy MMORPGs having 'epic' weapons is magical. The weapons are imbued with powerful arcane or divine magics and that's what gives them their power. Even if we say that the force is imbuing a lightsaber, I'm not sure it make any sense to say the same for an assault cannon.

I love the stories in this game and have happily taken 6 characters into the high levels or capped already. But this insistence on gear based progression is going to push me out of this game. It's not necessary. You can have rare rewards that increase power but aren't a set of clothes. And you don't need to have a stupid long quest that leads to 'Master Leet's lightsaber of Pwnage'. Sigh....

In the lore, a Jedi or Sith crafts their lightsaber. It's a personal weapon, built by hand. How does the concept of an 'epic' quest fit here?

While not saying it is, nor if i care about it, couldn't the quest be to gather "epic" items from "epic" places by doing "epic" things...THEN use them to build your "epic" lightsaber?

Anyways, epic items of any sort, really anything different IMO is great, the more to do in as many ways, shapes and forms as possible is just more things in game to work towards and enjoy doing so, be they weapons, pets, mounts, achievements, unique/rare items, rare spawn mobs, whatever.

While not saying it is, nor if i care about it, couldn't the quest be to gather "epic" items from "epic" places by doing "epic" things...THEN use them to build your "epic" lightsaber?

Anyways, epic items of any sort, really anything different IMO is great, the more to do in as many ways, shapes and forms as possible is just more things in game to work towards and enjoy doing so, be they weapons, pets, mounts, achievements, unique/rare items, rare spawn mobs, whatever.

If it was an epic quest to find a special lightsaber style that increases the skills of the Jedi. That's great.

It's the concept of 'epic' gear that bothers me, not the epic quest. Gear needs to be greatly de-emphasized in this game IMO.

This. I'd want something that might take months to get so that only maybe a couple people on a server might have it.

Only a couple per server? You think something a few dozen people in the entire game will be able to have is worth the many hours of developer time likely required to implement something like this? I'm all about working for something, but it should be something that's accessible to at least 10% of the population, or it's just not worth the dev time.

The more grind heavy the better imo. Epic Weapons shouldn't be something everyone can obtain easily. That's what makes them epic.

Precisely. I want something like Relic Weapons from FFXI that took a minimum of a year to accomplish if you were hitting the events for the quest line every time they were available.

When the level cap increased from 75, SE also opened a new quest line allowing for these weapons to be upgraded at each new level cap to keep them the most powerful weapons in the game.

The one thing I worry about is for dual wielders. Hopefully one quest line will get both weapons for Sents and Gunslingers, and maybe a weapon and shield or whatever for other classes.

Putting on my cynic hat here. My guess is this will be implemented in the BWFS context as usual. Same vein as Orange/Adaptive armor which is largely ignored at end game thanks to other design choices in the game.

I hope this ends up being a solo questing type thing that is specific for each class. Example, The bounty hunter is tasked with hunting down an elusive mark that sends you running around a dozen planets trying to find him. Maybe even some random elements in there that make the player think and not just read a guide. It ends with an epic battle vs the mark and his gang where as you take a pistol from his body as a trophy. Thus your super cool weapon.

In truth as others have said too I think it will be another copy of WoW. Get quest...farm NM raid bosses for limited drops...rinse/repeat a dozen times. Not counting the tickets you have to put in because no doubt this will be bugged in some way for weeks.

This. When they first entered the game, when the level cap was 60, you would go through a ton of these just to find one that was close to getting all the legacies you wanted. I considered myself lucky that I could live with the legacies I had, and when the level cap was raised to 65, I was lucky that on my main I got the legacies I wanted - others went through I don't know how many weapons before they got what they wanted. Then they changed it so that you could take legacies from one weapon, decon the weapon, and put on another weapon. That meant leveling up possibly, six, seven weapons to create the weapon of your choice, and then grinding more to increase the rank of the weapon. By the time you get that done, the next expansion came out, and you were replacing your weapon (depending on your class) in a couple weeks or a month.

I can't believe people are stupid enough to ask for yet another insane grind in another MMO. Doing something over and over repetitively is just dumb and no fun at all, I would hope that BW has enough sense to not follow this method which lacks complete imagination so all the carebear loot freaks can get that next shiny MMO carrot until the next super cool new item is created.