The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Poll: For or Against roots respecting resolve bar

Catharian

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not for this idea!

You know how many PvP specs would be worthless with all of the CC being thrown around in this game?

The Sniper's and Gunslinger specs that count on the knock back root would be worthless as well as a my sentinel root when I use master strike.

I understand the frustration with all of the unbalanced classes within the game, I don't think a change like this should be done.

Roots and snares are the only last way to slow or stop the ballcarrier in huttball, 99% of the time the ballcarrier is full resolve by the time he/she crosses the firepit onto the endzone and there's nothing that can be done besides dps, at least I can root every 9 seconds with creeping terror to slow them down.

Besides all that, CC in this game overall is very atrocious compared to majority of other MMO games.

The CC in this game is up there with Healhammer online (formally Warhammer online) and DAoC's "I could CC someone take a nap, watch a movie come back and they still would be CCed in that game.". A quick and easy fix to all of these issues and would not upset the balance of PvP is to put CC breakers on 45 seconds instead of 2 minutes. That would solve a lot of the cry baby nerf issues and still keep PvP strategic in this game (watching somone's cool downs/resolve bar is not a test of uber skill in this game!).

Against.

Chain rooting a ball carrier is just about the only reason anyone would be so insane as to give up three smasher... I mean DPS spots on their ranked team to snipers.

Just pass the damn ball, roots don't keep you from doing that.

Roots don't keep ranged DPS from attacking, don't keep healers from healing, don't keep tanks from tanking, don't keep sins from phase walking, hell, they don't even keep melee classes from leaping to anyone with Obliterate.

Used it up already to overcome a sniper's only defense against you and it's on its tiny cooldown? Good boy! How about Knights/Warriors that are first characters on a paying account get a "Win Warzone" button as a reward for picking the right class so early in the game?

Oh come on...I know you aren't using Phase Walk as a viable counter to a root, are you? You have to be within a certain distance of your walk location...and in Huttball, that's pretty much out of the question. Root is a CC, it it causes players to stand still, unable to move. It should have an affect on Resolve. Even if it is a very minor affect, anything is better than nothing.

Oh come on...I know you aren't using Phase Walk as a viable counter to a root, are you? You have to be within a certain distance of your walk location...and in Huttball, that's pretty much out of the question.

Your phase walk is either at enemy goal line, at ball spawn, or on a high platform. You should be somewhere between the two, which is pretty much 50% chance. Also, sins do have a number of ranged attacks, even if not 30m ranged.

Probably not a very useful counter, since the roots are so short-term, but does protect against stunlock.

Root is a CC, it it causes players to stand still, unable to move. It should have an affect on Resolve. Even if it is a very minor affect, anything is better than nothing.

I would agree, but only if the resolve gained from all actual stuns and especially mezzes is significantly reduced to compensate.

Edited by B-Dick

I would agree, but only if the resolve gained from all actual stuns and especially mezzes is significantly reduced to compensate.

I could live with that. I could live with it even more if the Devs changed Resolve to fill when more than one person stuns you even when you are already stunned....let's bring skill back in to the game and stop derping it.

Edited by Wraiven

against.

I get the impression that when someone is against <X> it is usually because they don't play a class that needs <X>.

If roots bother you play a class that has strong immunity to them (sage healers, vanguards -- some specs have buffed hold the line, slinger/sniper left tree)

I also think every "here is how to fix the game" post should begin by the poster stating that they have played all ACs at level 55, if not every tree of every AC.

Edited by funkiestj

Devs changed Resolve to fill when more than one person stuns you even when you are already stunned....let's bring skill back in to the game and stop derping it.

Anyone who thinks the old system of 2 simultaneous hard stuns stunning for 4 seconds but whitebarring the target was a good idea has no concept of good game play design (IMESHO). No doubt you think the same of people on my side of the argument.

The current system builds resolve proportional to how long you are actually stunned. This actually allow more skill as I can apply the second stun at just the right time so as not to white bar you.

Of course if I want to have the highest stun duty cycle I should not overlap at all. Instead I should wait for your resolve to decay enough that my next stun nearly fills your resolve bar.

Roots just about end up as a stun for a melee class as you can only use ranged abilities and those are not many...

Of course you cna also pop CD's if you are focused.

Then again if a sorc gives me full resolve and i am not really down on HP he is toast... I don't know what to say as some classes are dependent on them.

I don't think they should be put on resolve at all. I think resolve should **** and be done away with in favor of ACTUAL diminishing returns. It's frankly quite bull**** that an sins/shadows and ops/smugs can solo cap a solo guarded node with effective 16 seconds of CC. The first 8 second mez is fine, but the 2nd one should be 4 seconds. 16 seconds of mez is flat out stupid.

Game should work like this:

Hard stun 4 seconds > get hard stunned again 2 seconds > DR starts

8 sec mex > 4 sec mex > DR starts

And the same with roots.

Enough with this resolve crap, there are just too many different types of CC in the game for it to ever be incorporated correctly. Go to actual DR's and be done with it.

As a sniper I am completely against this change. Roots are our #1 tool how we keep people in our line of sight. We already got a huge nerf in 2.0 by having almost every spec getting some root breaker: (smash obliterate, snipers with evasion, entire bounty hunter with hydraulic overrides).

So NO. You have had it already too comfortable after 2.0. I can only support this change if melee DPS gets nerfed because they will effectively have a much longer duration to effectively DPS their targets.

As a sniper I am completely against this change. Roots are our #1 tool how we keep people in our line of sight. We already got a huge nerf in 2.0 by having almost every spec getting some root breaker: (smash obliterate, snipers with evasion, entire bounty hunter with hydraulic overrides).

So NO. You have had it already too comfortable after 2.0. I can only support this change if melee DPS gets nerfed because they will effectively have a much longer duration to effectively DPS their targets.

So.. I can agree to this but with the caveat that my Leap applies it's root EVERY.. SINGLE.. TIME.

Oh.. and that it actually takes me to the target.