The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Startling lack of defenders

Motav

It's not new but it's getting more prevalent. There's only one guy defending and usually he aint super geared. While kudos to him for deffing, I will steapth up to him and **** him and cap ur turret/arm a bomb before he can call out for help IF he even does. In NC I dont even have to kill him, just grip him to the cliff and overload him down and its mine before he can get back up.

Defense sucks (trust me) but if you leave it to one guy youre probably going to lose that spot. You either need a geared tank or another person and lately enemy teams lack them.

Anyone else noticing this?

But if I kill them in 5 GCDs with no stun time (im an assassin and shroud when I open up sometimes) I cant really see how anyone can stop with within the 15 seconds max it takes me to get my job done.

Are we talking about low lvl bracket? if so, I wouldn't worry to much about it... Try playing against a non pug team in a ranked warzone, and see how far you get with your leet tactics.

He mentioned gear, so no, not the low bracket.

my five rules of rated pvp.

5. everyone there sucks cept for me.

4. when i see someone back pedaling i kick my new born puppy.

3. i don't play defense. that's for healers and tanks.

2. i /ignore the first nerd to give instructions before the match starts. i also ignore anyone using caps*.

1. i'm there to top dmg meters on my op PT and everyone else be damned.

following these rules will make you a pvp god.

*i do notice most of the nerd ragers and grand marshall know-it-all are on pve realms.

Basically if you can see all 8 enemy health bars, no need to worry about the guy defending alone.

If you can see 6+ enemy health bars heading to the lone defender's node, you do not need to wait for his call

Other variations do exist, and unless you need a raid guide Youtube walkthru prior to beginning each match, you could likely work those out in game.

Good luck all,

Basically if you can see all 8 enemy health bars, no need to worry about the guy defending alone.

If you can see 6+ enemy health bars heading to the lone defender's node, you do not need to wait for his call

Other variations do exist, and unless you need a raid guide Youtube walkthru prior to beginning each match, you could likely work those out in game.

Good luck all,

The average PUG mentality seems to be:

1. Fight until you see no red bars.

2. Celebrate.

It's not new but it's getting more prevalent. There's only one guy defending and usually he aint super geared. While kudos to him for deffing, I will steapth up to him and **** him and cap ur turret/arm a bomb before he can call out for help IF he even does. In NC I dont even have to kill him, just grip him to the cliff and overload him down and its mine before he can get back up.

Defense sucks (trust me) but if you leave it to one guy youre probably going to lose that spot. You either need a geared tank or another person and lately enemy teams lack them.

If it's such a horrible problem maybe you should defend it yourself?

Normally If I see this it's a mistake. Someone ran to help defend another node and stupidly left someone alone. As a mb geared tank I can defend alone 2 v 1 until help comes or kill them if they are both stupid and dps spec'ed. Well if they are both range or both melee, if it's a mix I'll more than likely have to vanish and pop back out. But dps have no business defending alone especially if you get the drop on them. I killed a lone scorc today hiding on the second level of alderan as if they were a sniper...they never had a chance. A range player stuck in that narrow space that didn't get the first hit. Respawn.

I most certainly do, when a match begins I'll go for our side's bunker, I'll go to our turret, I'll go to the least popular door.

And when someone shows up I mind trap the guy, call out, and by the time his resolve is full and we actually start fighting help has gotten to me. I dont "like" defending but you are literally going to have to take my area over my dead body and I'll make you take as long as I can stay alive.

It was an observation of what I've encountered when I'm playing offensively.

I've always wondered what the definition of back pedaling is. Does it just apply to when someone is trying to kite another player by walking backwards or to any form of backwards walk (if that's even what it is)? I'm frequently taking a few steps back in WZ'es. For instance when I only need to move a few feet away from an AOE, when I adjust cover behind some structure or when I want to finish a melee class that all of a sudden charges me in a zerg . It's however not something I attempt while 1 vs 1'ing a mara with full health.

Also, don't you just love games like this:

-In spawn/pug game-

-Wooohoo, let's do this, guys!

-Hell yeah!

-YIHAAAAAAA!

-Just remember, people, make sure you call out incs.

-Gotcha.

-30 seconds of chat silence later-

-ALERT.......

LOVE IT!

Edited by MidichIorian

2. i /ignore the first nerd to give instructions before the match starts. i also ignore anyone using caps*.

*i do notice most of the nerd ragers and grand marshall know-it-all are on pve realms.

^^^ Above is a prime example of pug mentality ^^^ No one cares if you top dps, I haven't seen a single WZ won by dps alone. Kill as many people as you want, kill them ALL even, being an unco-operative player who ignores people trying to communicate is a laughable definition of a 'PvP God'. It's a pretty good definition of 'guy who loses a lot of WZs' though.

2. Celebrate.

Pretty much sums it up.

QFT.

It seems like 9 times out of 10, no one wants to cap and defend. Everyone wants to zerg and get medals. The idea that winning grants more comms/xp/cash/rating than losing, regardless of how an individual performs, is completely lost on most PvPers.

The players who do want to defend or who end up stuck with the job because no one else will do it, are the tanks and healers. Then the DPS whine about TTK. Go figure.

Edited by TheronFett

QFT.

It seems like 9 times out of 10, no one wants to cap and defend. Everyone wants to zerg and get medals. The idea that winning grants more comms/xp/cash/rating than losing, regardless of how an individual performs, is completely lost on most PvPers.

The players who do want to defend or who end up stuck with the job because no one else will do it, are the tanks and healers. Then the DPS whine about TTK. Go figure.

Medals aren't that big of an incentive for attack compared to standign still and get 3 defender medals assuming you're not worried about the outcome of the overall game.

The bigger issue against defense is that no matter how good you think you are, in a solo defense situation you have at best 50/50 chance of winning (the enemy sure isn't going to send a weak player to solo attack), and if you lose it's all your fault but if you win you don't get anything special for it. To defend, not only do you have to be extremely good, but you also have to accept the fact that you will lose most of the time because a good team usually won't attack with a single person.

What gets me is why do people defending stand near the node. Stand 20-30 feet away and hidden if you can't stealth. This way when the guy comes for the cap you hit him first while he is trying to cap if he doesnt see you. If he does see you and he attacks you and wins it will take him extra time to cap as you were standing far away and now he has to walk to the cap.

If it's a stealther with an 8 second mezz getting hit near a cap with you facing away occasionally means they can CC you and cap by the time you come out of it and turn around.

If my CC break is up and I'm lone defender I'll let them CC me and I wont even use it until they walk to the node and start capping so I can not only interupt them but put damage on them while I have some range from them to boot.

2. Celebrate.

Putting those two in reverse order of appearance seems more appropriate somehow.

What gets me is why do people defending stand near the node. Stand 20-30 feet away and hidden if you can't stealth. This way when the guy comes for the cap you hit him first while he is trying to cap if he doesnt see you. If he does see you and he attacks you and wins it will take him extra time to cap as you were standing far away and now he has to walk to the cap.

If it's a stealther with an 8 second mezz getting hit near a cap with you facing away occasionally means they can CC you and cap by the time you come out of it and turn around.

If my CC break is up and I'm lone defender I'll let them CC me and I wont even use it until they walk to the node and start capping so I can not only interupt them but put damage on them while I have some range from them to boot.

Sometimes I wonder if people think the turret controls will start shooting at the enemy if you're standing near it. There's literally no reason to stand next to the turret if you're the lone defender. Even if you start out standing 30m away from turret and someone grappled you another 30m and a previously stealthed guy immediately started capping, given your running speed is around 6m/s, you should be able to stop the cap on time assuming you've some kind of instant 30m move. Yes there are probably some scenario where you get pulled 60m away and CCed and then you lose the node but for every example of that, I can think of 10 examples where the guy standing by the turret gets mezzed by the turret and can't stop a cap. This scenario also means the enemy has at least 2 guys and you're already pretty screwed 1on2 anyway so having a slim chance of getting totally owned on a 1on2 isn't really much of a risk because 'totally owned' is the most likely outcome already.

I think people are too worried about the case where you start out far away, starts fighting a guy and someone sneaked behind you and capped it. But you're talking about 1on2 here, and one of the enemy is a stealther. They already have a huge advantage over you. Standing around 20m away from turret prevents the outright mez & cap which can be done by a single person, and it's far more important to defend against this then the fairly improbable case of a two guys coordianting grapple/stealth to cap (which is still not too hard to stop), because those two guys can almost certainly kill you anyway.

i wonder how many times this did not work for you 1v1...

What annoys me even more with this capping stuff , though maybe off topic, is people in Civil War that either

1) After you anouce you will cap left or right also sprint to cap it themselves instead of trying to slow down enemies.

2) When you encounter this above momo and decide to try to stop people yourself so they cap it successfully they decide to cap from any angle where they dont block LOS from the obvious attackers that are closing in therby opening themselves up to a jump or a ranged interupt.

3) Anyone who stands out in the open in the area where respawns will come back from while you are capping therby becoming the person someone will jump to and get to you in time to interupt the cap.

Hello.. knock kock.. anyone home up there? This is not exactly brain science. :p

Edited by LancelotOC

Generally, teams I am on that leave 2 guarding a node lose. If I am going to lose, it is better to lose to a triple cap sense that game will end faster. Teams that I am on that pull the 'goalie' has a chance to win. If you are going to defend, do so with a stealthed shadow/assassin or not at all.

Now if you are winning, yeah, you need 2 solid defenders per node and 4 roamers.

You'll be surprised how many times no one ever tries to contest the one held turret. Few teams are that aggressive enough to try the triple cap. This is also why you keep a head count. If you ever count 8, then you know you can triple cap, otherwise it is best to defend the 2 you have. If you are losing there is little point in defending. As the OP pointed out, most defenders can't defend against a good stealther, so why defend at all?

What annoys me even more with this capping stuff , though maybe off topic, is people in Civil War that either

2) When you encounter this above momo and decide to try to stop people yourself so they cap it successfully they decide to cap from any angle where they dont block LOS from the obvious attackers that are closing in therby opening themselves up to a jump or a ranged interupt.

Hello.. knock kock.. anyone home up there? This is not exactly brain science. :p

I really hate when that happens, like say on the opening of Alderran I made a perfect slide into the turret on the opening so there's no way any attacker can stop me from capping our natural, and then the guy behind me conveniently steps at an angle that allows the enemy to leap into him and then get LoS on me with another 30m attack.

On the Alderaan turret it's usaully a good idea to have two people capping exactly 180 degrees from each other since you might not know where the defenders are coming from but you are directly opposite of each other, then the defender can usually only interrupt one guy coming from far away (if he's nearby obviously he has no problem defending but that's life). What does not work is having two guys cap standing side to side.