You Need To Reward Open World PvP - ASAP!

Darth_Eclipses

ROFL an extremely tiny amount of the population are in the forums.

And, I never understood whats with all the people asking for world pvp in a game thats clearly not designed for it. Had the same situation in WoW as well.

Really? From what ive played there is quite a bit of world pvp, just not so much at the beginner planets. It picks up from 30+ and from what ive seen they designed world pvp to gradually ween people into it. So I guess your wrong that its not designed for it when it clearly is.

Its not the hardest thing in the world to add some nice incentives for world pvp as thats all you need to do, players then make there own content with "unpredictable and unique pvp fights"

I guess your the type of person that just grinds BG's everyday and knows nothing else.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations, you just sealed me trying Aion if world PvP is actually encouraged there.

Good luck getting to decent PvP in Aion, it's going to take you a while.

Personally, the best world PvP I've had in games had nothing to do with yet another reward treadmill. Vanilla WoW had tons of open world PvP with no reward. No achievements, no marks/gear, no money, nothing... and yet there were even frequent city raids on my server just for the fun of it.

I'm all for world pvp gameplay features... objectives are the only thing that makes a BG into something other than a team deathmatch. But if it's just about rewards for more carrot-stick, never-ending gear upgrades that just create a bigger gap for new blood in PvP then I hope they never come.

Yes, because rewarding the Imp zerg makes perfect sense. Why farm quest mobs when you can just farm Republic lowbies to get better PvP gear to farm even faster? Or, if you are thinking of a Wintergrasp-like zone, well I don't know where to start. Open-world PvP is a numbers game, and Imps have about a zillion more.

Yes, because rewarding the Imp zerg makes perfect sense. Why farm quest mobs when you can just farm Republic lowbies to get better PvP gear to farm even faster? Or, if you are thinking of a Wintergrasp-like zone, well I don't know where to start. Open-world PvP is a numbers game, and Imps have about a zillion more.

Yes you could do that if the designers were complete idiots. Anyone with half a brain would obviously add diminishing returns to the amount of valor/commendations you receive from killing a player more than once and receive nothing from lower level players.

Im republic, Im out-numbered, bring it on!

If you dont like it, you have to ask yourself why are you on a pvp server?

So, back on October 18th Georg responded to a thread claiming BW has killed Open World PvP by saying:

I imagine the majority of people queuing up for instanced PvP if that's where the best rewards will be coming from.People will do what they like. If the majority likes to queue, then that's what they want to do.

Honestly, this reads a lot like 'OMG, there might be incentives for players to do what they like instead of what I like.'

If people prefer to do Warzones over open world PvP or vice versa, then that's their prerogative and we won't force them to do the other thing. As for where the best rewards are, you'll earn rewards by doing either.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/16565-devtracker-highlights-for-the-week-of-october-13

The fact is, BW never killed Open World PvP - they never even allowed it to exist in the first place. You can't kill something that's non-existent.

I can guarantee you BW, that PvP servers aren't popular because the main form of pvp (or most popular in that community) is WZ's. Today on the Jung Ma server, there was a huge late-night battle between my guild and another republic one (Furious Angels) eventually, as fun as it was - my guildies just said screw it - mainly for the fact that no matter how well we did, NOTHING was rewarded. We had better things to do.

Let's recap:

No xp for open world kills.

No credits for open world kills.

No commendations for open world kills.

No valor xp for open world kills.

No unlockable titles for open world kills.

No listed amount of kills or assists for open world kills or any other form of recognition.

Georg, please clarify your statement and explain why the OP in that thread was wrong about saying you guys have truly gimped and under-appreciated Open World PvP.

'As to where there best rewards are, you'll earn rewards by doing either' is totally disingenuous and the fact is Georg, now that we're playing the game, we can tell.

Please add in this functionality asap, your pvp is hollow without it.

I completely support this. We need incentives/rewards. Many games have implemented tools whereby if a player was so many levels below then they would receive no xp/valor ect...for the kill. That helped prevent just griefing for xp.

Time to implement this.

No rewards will kill Open World PvP. It will be like WoW where there is occasional ganking and the rest of PvP is all done in instances.

You need to get rewards that you can buy armor with by killing same or near level persons. Killing lowbies should not get you a reward.

I had actually hoped world pvp would exist. I mean warzones don't count as world pvp in the slightest even if they are only one server queues. Warzones should be opened to a group of servers or all servers together as a queue. Would minimize queue times and would be able to have world pvp be how the pvp community on a server is built.. like it should be.

Problem with rewards in open pvp areas over warzones is that WZ are a more controlled environment where there are some instance of fairplay rules implemented and enforced...to a degree. Having rewards for teamplay and coordination to defeat the other team while not relying on overwhelming numbers justifies a reward system.

An open PVP environment is quite unpredictable, knowing what we know (the ratio of republic to empire) it's going to be very difficult to find any sort of balance in world pvp. You WILL have empire farming Republic in open pvp for rewards. Diminishing returns on kills will only help so much, the fact that one side will control most of the open world pvp will mean that the side being controlled will simply be unable to progress in open world pvp while the other will slowly but surely climb the ranks.

Before someone chimes in with the "it's not live yet, the numbers will balance out" bs reply...Some servers already have massive que's at times, the likely hood of the ratios evening out are very slim, the current split of republic to empire is probably going to stay close to where it is now and some servers are 4:1 ratio of empire to republic (from some numbers that I've seen) at best that evens out to 2:1

I can see the case for making open pvp yield some sort of reward I just also see the difficulty of doing so for the sake of fairplay. I think the pr and maybe devs may have dropped the ball a bit with making the empire more enticing to play over the republic.

Also if you're really a true pvp'er you don't need rewards to enjoy PVP be it open world or instanced.

I come from the Age of Conan mmo where we had to wait almost a year for any sort of pvp reward system to be implemented before that time we had a blast having huge battles in open zones with several guilds going at it just for the fun and glory of combat. In fact, having pvp xp I think took some fun out of it because people started zerging for the points and I truly believe that is what would happen to open pvp in this game as well.

Edited by Caustic

The OPvP that is in the game is fine for now, but add rewards for killing people outside warzones. It is easy to implement diminishing returns to prevent people farming buddies. I cannot understand the logic of not rewarding Open World PvP outside doing daily quests in Ilum.

Skraag

Ruin

The fact is, BW never killed Open World PvP - they never even allowed it to exist in the first place. You can't kill something that's non-existent.

My observations of Open World PvP so far; granted, they are somewhat limited because my toon is still relatively low level. Wandered through Nar Shadaa (sp?), which is listed as a contested Open PvP zone, for a couple hours on Saturday looking for an Imperial player in the hopes of finding a good fight. While I did see many Imperial players in the non-combat area within the promenade, I never encountered these peeps in the actual open combat area where quests are completed. I did see numerous Republic players. Perhaps I was in the wrong place. I figured both factions quested in the same area. Was quite disappointed not to find any fights.

I'm hoping things will get better at higher levels, especially in Outlaw's Den, but was disappointed to not find any action whatsoever. Figured there would be at least some high level gankers there.

I can guarantee you BW, that PvP servers aren't popular because the main form of pvp (or most popular in that community) is WZ's.

This is actually not the case. The PvP Servers seem to be very popular. My PvP server, for instance, had a 1 hour and 30 minute queue yesterday to get in game. Pretty much every other PvP server is full and most have queues, albeit not as long, but the populations certainly aren't suffering for a lack of popularity. Players obviously want PvP, and they want good Open World PvP based on the surprising popularity of PvP servers. However, Open World PvP doesn't seem to really be delivering at this point.

mainly for the fact that no matter how well we did, NOTHING was rewarded. We had better things to do.

No xp for open world kills.

No credits for open world kills.

No commendations for open world kills.

No valor xp for open world kills.

No unlockable titles for open world kills.

No listed amount of kills or assists for open world kills or any other form of recognition.

Agreed that this is a problem. Although I understand why BW would be reticent to implement an extensive system of rewards for Open PvP. If they did such a thing, it would undoubtedly get abused by a few who would cheat or farm their friends, therefore undermining the rewards themselves. That said, players should get some sort of credit or reward for an Open world kill. Special Titles would be a great reward for this type of gameplay. It's no wonder that Open World PvP encounters are so sparse, considering there is no real reason to do it beyond trying to find a good fight.

My understanding is that Outlaw's Den functions to provide a reward model for Open PvP. Success in that area rewards you with access to special vendors that sell exclusive gear and items. However, Open world PvP success should extend further, with planetary objectives that impact both factions (spaceport control, taxi control, stuff like that). It certainly needs to go further.

I can't believe our characters don't have individual War-Tabs of some sort, not just for Open PvP, but for WZs too. This seems basic to me and is completely necessary. We also need Server Leaderboards to create a more competitive environment and sense of PvP community.

One method BW could use to create some stratification between instanced and Open World PvP is the penalty for defeat. Right now there is no real penalty for defeat or losing. As a result, peeps just don't take losing in WZs that seriously. I haven't tracked the rewards in WZs closely, but it seems to me, the rewards are pretty much the same in terms of commendations and XP whether you win or lose. Sure you may not gain as much valor, but without leaderboards of some sort, who really cares about Valor Rank anyway? So make the penalty for defeat in WZs sting more.

Contrast that with Open PvP. Granted, this is harder to do right now since rewards are non-existent in Open PvP for the most part. However, there should still be a penalty for defeat there, but just make it less than that of a WZ to encourage people to have more Open world fights. Honestly, I'm short on ideas here since. I was thinking to give players more Valor for an Open world kill, but since Valor Rank has no real meaning, this isn't a good solution. Maybe if Leaderboards were in place, this would matter a lot more, but it's difficult to make the case for increased Valor Rank per kill in Open PvP when Valor Rank doesn't mean much.

Please add in this functionality asap, your pvp is hollow without it.

/signed

Right now PvP just seems like a glorified gear race, even though pretty much every player I've encountered in game so far wants it to mean a lot more. SWTOR PvP combat itself is fantastic and fun. Let's beef it up a bit more with some incentives beyond just gear. Include some dynamics that impact the entire game world, if not the galaxy, especially on Open PvP servers where players have already expressed a desire for this type of content by choosing an Open world server.