Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

cross server play is only real fix

SidneyFault

I didn't miss it, its a stupid post. It makes the assumption that every server provides the same number of tanks and heals and dps to the queue, which is a logical fallacy. And yes, a 5th grader could figure that out.

You apparently don't understand the post, if you think it assumes every server provides the same number of tanks, heals, and dps to the queue. If that were the case, there would be no change in queue time for anyone, as the proportions of tanks:heals:dps would be the same either way. The ONLY thing changing it to be cross server, if every server did that, would be adding the complications of people having no reputation to keep track of.

Let's just state the truth: You people who are too stubborn to move to a higher population server are pushing for cross server because it will drastically improve your queue times. Meanwhile, those that did take the transfers will take a hit to theirs.

To quote Spock: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." Single server is fine for many people, and those many people would be hurt by going cross server. In contrast, single server is bad for a few people, and those few people would gain by going cross server.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game hasn't become like that because of the cross server tool it's just become mainstream. Your average WoW player from 2005 is very different from your average WoW player of today. They expect different things but that isn't the fault of cross server, that's the change in the MMO genre as a whole.

I've played WoW since Vanilla I don't think I'm very different now from when I started...well except being older I guess. You know did the raid thing,did the pvp thing, did the alt thing etc. I do agree I expect a lot of different things as I experienced newer mmos over the years. Most of the people who I know who have left just wanted to try a new

MMO some go back to WoW some don't. Only generalization I can see from the people I know is if didn't like how

the game played they left. If they found something they liked in an expansion or patch they came back. I myself have

played cause I enjoyed the pvp in WoW from old TM times to the current xserver style bgs. With LFD and LFR if I

want to try some pve no more general or trade chat spam...woot

You apparently don't understand the post, if you think it assumes every server provides the same number of tanks, heals, and dps to the queue. If that were the case, there would be no change in queue time for anyone, as the proportions of tanks:heals:dps would be the same either way. The ONLY thing changing it to be cross server, if every server did that, would be adding the complications of people having no reputation to keep track of.

Let's just state the truth: You people who are too stubborn to move to a higher population server are pushing for cross server because it will drastically improve your queue times. Meanwhile, those that did take the transfers will take a hit to theirs.

To quote Spock: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." Single server is fine for many people, and those many people would be hurt by going cross server. In contrast, single server is bad for a few people, and those few people would gain by going cross server.

And what you're missing is that two mmos already offer cross server LFD, one of which I know for a fact started as single server and had immediate and drastic queue time reductions once it made the change to cross server, and the other has little to no queue time whatsoever.

So i'm going to go with what I know to be true, over rambling hypothesis and guess work over server class populations.

For the record, I play on Fatman, which is the second highest population pvp server behind Bastion, from what I can tell.

your wrong

Blizzard lost 1.8 million subs over the course of 2011, as for the numbers in 2012, we have only had the Q1 numbers, which said they have stayed on 10.2 million subs. we are still waiting for Q2

you need to get your facts right before posting.

as for xserver lfg, hell no, i played wow for 5 years and i hated the game so much once xlfg was added, it helped kill the game for alot of players. now we have LFR, from what i have heared its just as made, but with mad loot lol

Actually, you are wrong. The last two quarters which would have been the months covering Oct - Dec 2011 and Jan - March. 2012...the sub reports saw the same number of subs. 10.2 million. Check it out on MMO Champ. May have to search some to get the facts. Which you should before spouting off..lol.

Here is the link to the post. Scroll down some and you will see it on that page.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/?page=11

Edited by Valkirus

Your suspicions about it not helping in end game content is wrong. One reason Blizzard came out with the cross server LFR ( looking for raid ) was so more players could experence end game content. And sence this had happend...they have dramaticaly increased the numbers of players being able to experence end game content. One reason they are expanding it to all 3 new raids in thier next expansion. :cool:

If it truly is helping in end game in WoW, that just means that there are insufficient people queueing on a per server basis. That's not the case here. At least as far as I can tell. Since, statistically speaking, all servers will have a similar mix of roles represented, then the gains in reducing que times will be negligible. And the ramifications on the player base due to an explosion of bad behavior will be massive.

Single server also enables us to police each other. Sure we can ignore a ninja looter or a horrible tank. But that' just enables him to go into more LFG groups and ruin their experience. With single server that person can be literally blacklisted from any 'serious' player on the server that wants a completion and doesn't want to just waste their time.

I'm just curious, and didn't want to read another 10 pages or so to see if anyone said anything.

Do you ever try to help the bad player, or just black list them and move on?

I'm just curious, and didn't want to read another 10 pages or so to see if anyone said anything.

Do you ever try to help the bad player, or just black list them and move on?

Personally, it depends on what type of bad they are. If they just aren't understanding mechanics, or AOEing and breaking CC, then it's logical to help them. If they ninja loot, there's no helping them.

One reason Blizzard came out with the cross server LFR ( looking for raid ) was so more players could experence end game content.:

People weren't seeing end game content because it was hard and not meant to be pugged. End game was designed for guilds not average joe blow to blow through and get his pixels.

And yes, now they make different modes, but guess what?? The bads still cry foul because they don't get the same loot as the guys who want the challange so it's constant nerf nerf nerf.

Edited by Skidrowbro

Instead of creating new technology (writing code, hardware modifications and whatnot) to implement cross realm, they can use the same resources to imrpove the servers (better sharding code to make sure lag doesnt transfer between multiple instances of the same area, or different instances like lag in warzones or operations. Reduce lag due to multiple ppl on and allow for more ppl to log at the same time.)

Apparently the main cause the x-server haters had is that people would "ninja" and not be held accountable.

Sorry to burst your bubble but "ninjaing" was in FULL effect last night with complaint after complaint in /General.

Names were listed and it was meaningless.

X-Server NOW.

blacklist prevents people from joining your LFG group. getting a wide enough blacklist prevents that player from grouping again, and if they pull it with the people who HAVENT learned about them yet they get closer to essentially being server banned from LFG.

The Idea that it's impossible to track player rep or that it is not possible to track player rep is all things that is easy to track..

1. Add a tab on the inspect character screen for player rep.. and let people rate your performance.. and add a performance filter. As that is voted on by the community it would help to build rep and something positive to strive for.

2. Tag the players with server tags.. then you know who your dealing with and where they are from. Especially when it is both the chat settings and and as a visual player tag... thus there is you lose of anonymity. Everyone is easily tracked.. not very hard to do.

3. xserver play allows people multiple styles of play at different times and at their own convenience. During the week I have work, family and other things that means game time is minimum and late night play or non peek hours is when I have to play. But what this is when you say join another server right? so that mean I have to play on a server my friends are not on , like a European server, all because you don't like xserver... it looks like even from this board that the percentage is split pretty even on the subject. About Half like and Half don't., for the most part at least.

As Always Cheers!!!!

Sounds like a personal hatred for the system. Blizzard apparently feels a lot different about it. And is expanding and improving it more the next expansion. They are doing that based on thier own internal tracking data and not hate threads on thier forums.

No, Dr Feud, I don't have a personal hatred for the CS system. I don't think it would be beneficial in SWTOR. In WoW the server populations are spread out evenly for the most part. Servers here on SWTOR are much larger. Not to mention the Tank:Healer: Dps ratio here on SWTOR is infinitely better.

From my experience in WoW, which was endgame normal dragon sould (not just LFR), queue times here on SWTOR are much better, LFG tool is helping build the community, and cross server is not only unnecessary/would not help in any way- but would actually be harmful.

And as for Blizzard "feeling differently about it", yes they love their current LFG tool, thats why theyre completely redoing it form the ground up next expansion... and yes, the players love it too, thats why the new one is the one of the most anticipated features of the next expansion.

Edited by Criiiiket

Rift's queue times for dps dropped drastically after they went cross server. WoW's wait times for dps are damn near non existent.

Don't try to make stuff up. Drawing from a larger pool always gives advantages, and both of those games have proven this.

Are you kidding me? You're joking right? Have you ever played this game? You know what WoW stands for, right?

You're going to try to tell me there are "near non existent" wait times for DPS in WoW?

You have clearly not played that game seriously at all.

It's too late to write out a long winded logic filled post.

So just throw me in the "No cross server LFG tool" crowd. I've been there....several times. And regretted it every time it was implemented. Could we please at least give the regular server wide LFG tool a chance to function before we start screaming for it to change.

Are you kidding me? You're joking right? Have you ever played this game? You know what WoW stands for, right?

You're going to try to tell me there are "near non existent" wait times for DPS in WoW?

You have clearly not played that game seriously at all.

Have you? I just queued a dps slot last night at 5 am and had a 7 minute wait time. In wow that is.

Edited by spectreclees

I have had great experiences running LFR. For example in my run the other night.Though there were people quitting in the middle of things and a little bit of whinning on the boss with the colored slimes the LFR ran smoothly.

The raging, qqing, and lack of common knowledge are always going to happen in raids especially when the raids are

first being run. So in general it reminded me of a normal raid runs in WoW. I think the 2 parts of the DS raid took under 1.5 hours to complete in LFR. Anyway the LFR run was a fun easy going thing to do for the night.

Sometimes it's okay, but you gotta admit that if on a good night theres still whining and quitting, it's not usually such a pleasant thing to do.

Have you? I just queued a dps slot last night at 5 am and had a 7 minute wait time. In wow that is.

And i got about the same queue time here at ~1am for Battle of Illum HM as a DPS with no other role selected. I don't think wow is any faster than SWTOR's LFG, and it's cross server.

It is on topic because it is a example of how a cross server tool can work well. And yeah..it is also others who have tried to use WoW's cross server tool as a example of it being bad. But that is ok huh?

That's just the point, Valk. How can the loss of 2 million players in about 6 months demonstrate that the cross server tool is working well?

We keep giving you facts (as I have validated my statement about the decline over the past six months), and you continue to look right past them and stick to your argument. There is no proof presented that establishes that Wow's cross server LFG is working well for that game. Contrary to that conjecture, all indications are that it is not doing well and has not improved player appeal for the game, has not increased subs. Further is the fact that the current tool in this game IS benefiting players and the community.

You continue to blindly argue in light of the evidence that the exact opposite is the case. If wow's cross server tool has done anything beyond harming the game, provide one shred of evidence, beyond your instance, that will validate the claim. ;p

Yes, for bleeding edge content, no different then here, but not for anything older.

Look. we've all played that game. We've all done the LFG thing. Going to have to peddle that snake-oil somewhere else friend. Not buying it.....but with a wise guy, misleading attitude such as you are displaying here, I would imagine the cross server tool would be beneficial to you. ;p

Yes, for bleeding edge content, no different then here, but not for anything older.

Look. we've all played that game. We've all done the LFG thing. Going to have to peddle that snake-oil somewhere else friend. Not buying it.....but with a wise guy, misleading attitude such as you are displaying here, I would imagine the cross server tool would be beneficial to you. ;p

sure you don't wanna buy some of dis here Nigel West Dickens' Elixir? it'll cure what ails ya

I have had great experiences running LFR. For example in my run the other night.Though there were people quitting in the middle of things and a little bit of whinning on the boss with the colored slimes the LFR ran smoothly.

That's what you call, "running smoothly?".

The raging, qqing, and lack of common knowledge are always going to happen in raids especially when the raids are first being run.

Not in any raid I've ever run. Perhaps this is the difference of opinion we face when people argue that X-server will work. They consider the above to be normal while I consider it to be a mess that I would want no part of. My expectations are much higher and I expect far greater caliber of adult behavior from players so the ability to cull the kiddies, the rude, the rage quitters, on my server is key to me.

I personally subscribe to the cross-server group[ play not being good for the community. At the moment I could end up in a group with anyone. If somebody "ninja loots" then I know not to be involved with that person again. I can pass that information around to people I know who in turn can do the same. It is likely I will see that same person again and know what could happen.

In a cross-server situation I could realistically end up in group after group where I'm seeing different people. I've no idea what is going to go on.

In a game with player-justice this isn't a problem, you can sort the issue out. In the "walled garden" situation that is TOR there is nothing that can be done.

People will almost always act differently on their home server than when they are "playing away".

Only my opinion. It's neither right or wrong.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.