The Ship Droid Experience Mini Game and why it was rude

Insomnio

April 1st, "fools day". Bioware puts up a video claiming they have a new mini game coming, named the "Ship Droid Experience". Meant to be a facetious prank, in hindsight it was humorous, but many people thought it was a real feature. I thought it was a bit of a destructive goof, and may have disheartened a number of people, even caused the loss of a few subs.

This game would benefit from a few mini games. A few small distractions, some social aspects and time consumers would be a huge addition to the game. Waiting for a group to pop with LFG? Play a quick mini game. Want to play SWTOR with friends but not in the mood for the grind? Play a game of Pazzak. Want to get competitive, but in a fun casual way? Join the Swoop/Pod racing circuit and vie for position on the leaderboard.

Any number of mini games would go over well. A little effort would go a long way bioware.

Edited by Insomnio

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

April 1st, "fools day". Bioware puts up a video claiming they have a new mini game coming, named the "Ship Droid Experience". Meant to be a facetious prank, in hindsight it was humorous, but many people thought it was a real feature. I thought it was a bit of a destructive goof, and may have caused the loss of a few subs.

This game would benefit from a few mini games. A few small distractions, some social aspects and time consumers would be a huge addition to the game. Waiting for a group to pop with LFG? Play a quick mini game. Want to play SWTOR with friends but not in the mood for the grind? Play a game of Pazzak. Want to get competitive, but in a fun casual way? Join the Swoop/Pod racing circuit and vie for position on the leaderboard.

I guess you do not understand the nature of april fools day???

I guess you do not understand the nature of april fools day???

I think I understand the concept, but when you are asking people to give you money every month, teasing them with fake content they actually want seems a little harsh.

even caused the loss of a few subs.

If you mean the literal definition of "a few", meaning 3-5, then yes. BW probably lost a few subs over this.

Even you, who was upset enough to make a post about this, stayed :confused:

Edited by Anti_Bodies

I think I understand the concept, but when you are asking people to give you money every month, teasing them with fake content they actually want seems a little harsh.

its not harsh..it was a joke.. would it have been cool.. ya.. i doubt if anyone left solely because of an april fools joke.. and if they did..they need to grow up.. every game i have played has had some sort of april fools joke atleast once or twice in their time..

seriously it was aj oke.. and not harsh in the slightest.

I am sorry, yes my friend life is harsh, and an April fool's jokes maybe not in your book of humor, but really /shrug

Your welcome to your opinion, but I did have /facepalm moment, if your serious...:)

If you mean the literal definition of "a few", meaning 3-5, then yes. BW probably lost a few subs over this.

Even you, who was upset enough to make a post about this, stayed :confused:

If that is all you picked out of the entire paragraph, its safe to say you just came out of the closet in blazing glory fully dressed in your white knight costume.

Yes I stayed, and guess what, I just bought more time. Further confused? I like TOR (to a degree), but find the game has room for improvement. Confused even more now?

Mini games would help break up monotony of quest, wash-rinse-repeat. Its glaringly obvious the game needs some new game mode additional content.

What i find most odd here is that you have waited until late june to comment on this?

To each their own i guess but this kind of thing has been happening across the industry for a few years now, a lot of companies and websites do it nowadays, MMOs more so than most, Blizzard being a prime example and even with having left WoW sometime ago i still took the time to check their april fools for this year.

If that is all you picked out of the entire paragraph, its safe to say you just came out of the closet in blazing glory fully dressed in your white knight costume.

Yes I stayed, and guess what, I just bought more time. Further confused? I like TOR (to a degree), but find the game has room for improvement. Confused even more now?

Mini games would help break up monotony of quest, wash-rinse-repeat. Its glaringly obvious the game needs some new game mode additional content.

yes minigames would help the game and could be fun..however.. you honestly being upset over an april fools joke is completely foolish..

it just shows that you can not take a joke.. though i personally would love to see some minigames, i would and did not get offended when they set forth with their april fools joke

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20120401

Features of this mini-game include cleaning the cockpit windows, calibrating the ship’s food processors, and several other exciting maintenance duties:

Cleaning the cockpit windows? Calibrating food processors? People not only fell for this, but actually want to play a mini-game that involves cleaning cockpit windows in SWTOR?

Come on OP. Seriously?

Mind boggling.

its not harsh..it was a joke.. would it have been cool.. ya.. i doubt if anyone left solely because of an april fools joke.. and if they did..they need to grow up.. every game i have played has had some sort of april fools joke atleast once or twice in their time..

seriously it was aj oke.. and not harsh in the slightest.

Minigames cool? yeah... shipdroid cleaning window minigame? Probably not so much. 'Twas an obvious april fools. Don't know anybody who was fooled longer than the length of time it took to read.

oh it needs content and what not.. but again: something outlandishly dumb or silly or shocking, on april 1st... 99.999% of the time is just that april fools, it's THE holiday for the internet really.

I can see SOME issues perhaps for an individual who has some sort of disorder where they have no ability to grasp abstract behaviors like that, and or come from a culture where there is no april fools ( though again spending ANY time on the internet on an april first would very quickly introduce them to that tradition)

oh it needs content and what not.. but again: something outlandishly dumb or silly or shocking, on april 1st... 99.999% of the time is just that april fools, it's THE holiday for the internet really.

I can see SOME issues perhaps for an individual who has some sort of disorder where they have no ability to grasp abstract behaviors like that, and or come from a culture where there is no april fools ( though again spending ANY time on the internet on an april first would very quickly introduce them to that tradition)

I found it funny, but the irony of suggesting a mini game as a spoof was even funnier.

I was playing the game, going through the grind and found myself thinking that having some other content, even a mini game, to break up the monotony would be great. Then I remembered the Ship Droid Experience.

Its not that I am angry they did not implement the ship droid experience. The issue is that this game would immensely benefit from having mini game content.

I found it funny, but the irony of suggesting a mini game as a spoof was even funnier.

I was playing the game, going through the grind and found myself thinking that having some other content, even a mini game, to break up the monotony would be great. Then I remembered the Ship Droid Experience.

Its not that I am angry they did not implement the ship droid experience. The issue is that this game would immensely benefit from having mini game content.

that is why we need addons, bejewed addon was awesome in wow.

Wow... they decide to have a little fun and celebrate a day and all you can do is complain about it? I actually would have been miffed if they didn't do a joke parody. Blizzard's done it for so many years now that every 4/1 I go to the sites just looking to see what clever things they do for the April Fool's Joke.

It's people like you that ruin the fun for others because you can't take a joke. Just because you don't laugh doesn't mean the rest of us shouldn't be able to joke, especially when it's not offensive in nature.

Wow... they decide to have a little fun and celebrate a day and all you can do is complain about it? I actually would have been miffed if they didn't do a joke parody. Blizzard's done it for so many years now that every 4/1 I go to the sites just looking to see what clever things they do for the April Fool's Joke.

It's people like you that ruin the fun for others because you can't take a joke. Just because you don't laugh doesn't mean the rest of us shouldn't be able to joke, especially when it's not offensive in nature.

Not only did he complain, but it's been eating him up inside for 3 months apparently.

April 1st, "fools day". Bioware puts up a video claiming they have a new mini game coming, named the "Ship Droid Experience". Meant to be a facetious prank, in hindsight it was humorous, but many people thought it was a real feature. I thought it was a bit of a destructive goof, and may have disheartened a number of people, even caused the loss of a few subs.

Any number of mini games would go over well. A little effort would go a long way bioware.

Just a question, have you been waiting three months to post for a particular reason?

Yes, the game would benefit from minigames quite a bit. I believe the developers have agreed to this, but without timetables.

I think the point is, THAT minigame is not what the game needs. That was the... humorous... part...

I agree with you that the game could certainly benefit from mini-games, if done well. The Space portion of SWTOR is one of the better mini-games in MMO history, and more of that caliber are certainly welcome.

However, your main point in this thread is going to get lost because you chose to "whine" about something silly. The April Fool's Day joke was funny, and any angst over it is misplaced.

Although i agree that a couple of mini games would be cool anyone that fell for the ships droid prank is obviously a complete moron that hasn't been on the interrnet ever on april fools day

Lots of big companies out there unveil new 'products' on april fools day including such gems as google romance, virgle, youtubes upside down viewing experience, chrome 3d, gmail motion, google maps 8-bit, WOWs pandarens as a playable race (in 2002), crabby the dungeon master, and the dance battle system, and the biggest gem of them all (pre-internet) the BBC doing a film on harvesting 'spaghetti trees' (i **** you not, google it)

It's called having a sense of humor, try it sometime

You call that content? Lighten up - every MMO out there does an April Fool gag.