Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The Pyrotech playstyle that needs to be addressed.

Asphen

- There is nothing random about respawn timers. If you watch the door, the symbol on the door is in "pulsing quarters". When the last pulsing quarter on the door goes from light to dark, the door opens. Always has been like this, always will be.

- AoE or not, "Burst, Die, Burst" is too strong for this class. I'll admit though, I think I see them come out with AoE to stop objective caps in the most likely case.

- Pretty noobish for you to not understand respawn timers, since you take advantage of them so much.

So you're saying you can perfectly time your deaths to the respawn timers ... come on mister produde, you're not that pro.

Secondly, if I die constantly and respawn, even if I "time" my deaths perfectly (which would basically mean zerging like some kind of idiot), then almost every time I came back, my CC break would be on cooldown, which would mean you could just faceroll your stun keys and nuke me. Something any smart player will already attempt on a PT: stunlock the frak out of em.

Lastly, if you're gonna be accusing others of "noobishness", maybe do some research on the class you're about to bash before you come storming in with surreal strategies and scenarios.

Edited by Fdzzaigl

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

consular/inquistor are the same. They start with a full mana pool, so death should benefit them too, right?

One would think, but they just doesn't seem to Burst like a Pyrotech.

Not saying that they can't, just saying Pyrotechs seem to do it wayyyy better.

Only Knights and Warriors have to build resources. Every other class in the game starts with a full bar just like the PT. Snipers and Ops have the same (on principal) resource mechanic, and just like the PT can pop DPS cooldowns and dump their resources to produce burst.

With DPS cooldowns being nerfed in the upcoming patch, you have no case to argue for further nerfs to burst DPS classes.

Only Knights and Warriors have to build resources. Every other class in the game starts with a full bar just like the PT. Snipers and Ops have the same (on principal) resource mechanic, and just like the PT can pop DPS cooldowns and dump their resources to produce burst.

With DPS cooldowns being nerfed in the upcoming patch, you have no case to argue for further nerfs to burst DPS classes.

I wish people would just hold off on their nerf talk to see how this pans out first.

It's going to be a very different ballgame soon.

- When they come out bursting AoE damage, insta gibbing players, they are blowing out objectives

Is this a nerf flamethrower thread? About time, I'm sick and tired of alacrity stacking PTs annihilating entire groups. It's like warhammers scorched earth all over again.

Is this a nerf flamethrower thread? About time, I'm sick and tired of alacrity stacking PTs annihilating entire groups. It's like warhammers scorched earth all over again.

I told you this would happen, but you didn't believe me, did you?

it is the "burst damage, insta gib many people, respawn as heat management." playstyle. I suspect the developers didn't quite predict i would make up random things and call them facts on their forums. Here is the totally random crap i made up in my head.

How does it work?

- pyrotech wants to die as quickly as possible.

- ideal for the pryotech is to burst damage / flood heat meter, then die

- death only helps the pryotech

- just die a lot cuz running across half the damn map is way faster than managing heat.

- death is the fastest/best way for them to manage heat. monkeys also poop rainbow sherbert

what else can i make up in this crazy little head of mine?

- when they come out bursting aoe damage, insta gibbing players, they are blowing out objectives i can't even edit this... It's too funny as is)

- enemy team on doors of voidstar? Lol they planted while i was running back to the doors

- everyone fighting at a node in civil war? Lol they capped it while i was on the speeder back to the node

- oh, a battle at the south battery of nova coast? Lol here's a bad example of what to do for 1/3 of the map

- huttball, well just pull the ball carrier into the fire. because that's all you need to do adn dying instantly resets your grapple

in the worse case issue, they drag 2-4 people with them to the respawn everytime. unfortunately if those that get dragged into the respawn timer are pt's as well, well this will instantly put them in "god mode" it is always a lopsided exchange that will clear objectives for the pryotechs team to take.

in the best case issue, i learn how to play and do some research instead of coming up with these wildly unfounded and horrible ideas, except for some slow out of combat rest channel.

just die... It's awesome and all the pro's do it, like snipers have to reapply dots before going for a burst kill, or marauders have to start again at zero rage and rebuild resources, and the list goes on and a bunch of other stuff about classes that i clearly have no clue about

something should be addressed is my sanity and tactics.

fixed!

It takes 33 seconds to go from 100 to 0 heat. In this time you can be considered as practically useless.

However, killing someone usually puts them out of combat for that long too, and someone who id dead is totally useless, not just practically. Even while you overheat you can still act as a decoy, cap something and draw people's attention, or use your freebie attack that does next to no damage.

Therefore if you can reliably kill someone by overheating you still should do it since you're still ahead in this trade.

But this isn't a 'Pyrotech' style. There are 4 ACs with the same mechanism for resource management and if they can reliably kill someone by emptying their resource bar they should do it too for the same reason. They reason they don't do this is because they cannot reilably kill anyone by merely unloading their energy bar so you got to actually manage it. To 'fix' this style means you got to nerf the DPS so that it is no longer possible to simply unload and kill someone.

Of course like others mentioned Pyrotech does benefit a lot from Relic/Adrenal so maybe no further nerfs are necessary in 1.3.

consular/inquistor are the same. They start with a full mana pool, so death should benefit them too, right?

Not completely the same. Their resource regenerates at the same rate no matter how much they have. If you bottom out as a Consular, you can keep going. But smugglers and troopers have to be much more careful.

It is the "Burst damage, Insta gib many people, respawn as heat management." playstyle. I suspect the developers didn't quite predict this one. Here is the spotlight post for it.

How does it work?

- Pyrotech wants to die as quickly as possible.

- Ideal for the Pryotech is to Burst damage / flood heat meter, then die

- Death only helps the Pryotech

- If done ideally, they die fast enough they they always make the next release of doors from the spawn, spending next to zero time in the respawn.

- Death is the fastest/best way for them to manage heat.

Why is this an issue?

- When they come out bursting AoE damage, insta gibbing players, they are blowing out objectives

- Enemy team on doors of Voidstar? LOL Pyrotech everyone and insta respawn

- Everyone fighting at a node in Civil War? LOL Pyrotech everyone and insta respawn

- Oh, a battle at the south battery of Nova Coast? LOL Pryotech everyone and insta respawn

- Huttball, well just pull the ball carrier into the fire.

In the worse case issue, they drag 2-4 people with them to the respawn everytime. It is always a lopsided exchange that will clear objectives for the Pryotechs team to take.

In the best case issue, they just burst everyone dead, and are left there with no way to vent heat, except for some slow out of combat rest channel.

Dying favors the Pyrotech, but other classes are put at a disadvantage from death, like Snipers have to reapply DoTs before going for a Burst kill, or Marauders have to start again at zero rage and rebuild resources, and the list goes on.

Something should be addressed in the "Burst - respawn to reset heat - Burst" of the Pyrotech.

1. Played correctly you can manage heat and still burst people to death, who ever was doing this is doing it wrong.

2. You cant fix "Play style", so you are SOL.

It is the "Burst damage, Insta gib many people, respawn as heat management." playstyle. I suspect the developers didn't quite predict this one. Here is the spotlight post for it.

How does it work?

- Pyrotech wants to die as quickly as possible.

- Ideal for the Pryotech is to Burst damage / flood heat meter, then die

- Death only helps the Pryotech

- If done ideally, they die fast enough they they always make the next release of doors from the spawn, spending next to zero time in the respawn.

- Death is the fastest/best way for them to manage heat.

Why is this an issue?

- Enemy team on doors of Voidstar? LOL Pyrotech everyone and insta respawn

- Everyone fighting at a node in Civil War? LOL Pyrotech everyone and insta respawn

- Oh, a battle at the south battery of Nova Coast? LOL Pryotech everyone and insta respawn

- Huttball, well just pull the ball carrier into the fire.

In the worse case issue, they drag 2-4 people with them to the respawn everytime. It is always a lopsided exchange that will clear objectives for the Pryotechs team to take.

In the best case issue, they just burst everyone dead, and are left there with no way to vent heat, except for some slow out of combat rest channel.

Dying favors the Pyrotech, but other classes are put at a disadvantage from death, like Snipers have to reapply DoTs before going for a Burst kill, or Marauders have to start again at zero rage and rebuild resources, and the list goes on.

Something should be addressed in the "Burst - respawn to reset heat - Burst" of the Pyrotech.

I agree...

Pyrotechs should never die. They need 4 defensive cooldowns to prevent this!

LOL

I agree...

Pyrotechs should never die. They need 4 defensive cooldowns to prevent this!

LOL

THIS!!!! Thanks for all the useful information as I've been killing a ton of these guys not even realizing that I've been helping them the entire time! I have no one else to blame for the losses I've had but me... and anyone who has helped me kill a PT. I'm glad you brought this to my attention.

:rolleyes:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.