Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so disappointed with this server transfer nonsense... I can transfer from server A to server B... Server C to server D, but I can't transfer from A to C?

This is dumb... I had to start new toons on 4 different servers because all the servers I was on kept dying... Now all these characters over 4 servers, I cant get them on 1 server? I dont even care what server they go to, just as long as I can have them all on one so I can connect my legacy with them....

Another fail Bioware... Piss poor management is whats going to bring this game down hard... To bad, I actually think its the best MMO on the market

it would be nice if they called this "Server Merges" instead of "Server Transfers" since we do not have a choice on where we can go. You know all the "From" servers will be offlined as soon as possible after the "Voluntary" server transfers. If you don't transfer from a "From" server like Lord Adrass was just designated as. You will end up loosing any characters you have on that server once they shut it down. After all Bioware is not going to keep a server that has no players on it. Edited by Chaad_Losan

I am so disappointed with this server transfer nonsense... I can transfer from server A to server B... Server C to server D, but I can't transfer from A to C?

This is dumb... I had to start new toons on 4 different servers because all the servers I was on kept dying... Now all these characters over 4 servers, I cant get them on 1 server? I dont even care what server they go to, just as long as I can have them all on one so I can connect my legacy with them....

Another fail Bioware... Piss poor management is whats going to bring this game down hard... To bad, I actually think its the best MMO on the market

Hardly anything related to the description of management you provided. What you're seeking is likely to come later on down the road, they want to start consolidating communities first before they open the door for multi-server transfers for what you describe. This has already been stated numerous times in dev blogs and stickies here on the forums.

Lost my legacy name and 4 of my 8 lvl 50s names.

Pretty unhappy.

Where is the loyalty and LEGACY in that? I have a legacy level of 40 something and now have to change my whole family name? lol... such a massive joke.

The server im forced to merge with wasnt even *********** open at 4 am on dec 13 when I logged in and reserved all my names (on multiple servers of course - all that were open at the time)

So now here I am a legacy level 42(ish cant recall offhand) vagabond on a new server and no one even knows who the hell I am at all because my legacy and character names are all gone. Am I supposed to make some imposter version of my rightful name just so I might b recognized by old friends?

After all the free beta feedback and time I spent for them and all the money and in game time Ive spent so far, I would hope for a more elegant solution to what seems to be a much simpler problem than they have made it into.

I have 2 months left on my sub, although I cancelled. I really feel ripped off by this company and will not be supporting them again in the future.

I feel your pain. I truly do. I RP heavily, HEAVILY with my characters. Backstories, companion spouses, future children, everything. But even with going to two servers that I could conceivably be transferred to if my server is not chosen as destination (I will do happy dances if we ARE made destination) I made sure to reserve my names. And even doing this, there were only 4 who I didn't have to change at all. This isn't including my Legacy name, which I also use heavily in my RPing. (Mostly in my head or on paper, but not the point).

If you have to add a little ' or an alt accent, do so. The name won't change that much. Do the same for your Legacy name. If it's Smith, write it as S'mith or make the i have a little accent mark above it. Your characters haven't really changed. Same looks. Same spouses. Same names, just spelled slightly different.

it would be nice if they called this "Server Merges" instead of "Server Transfers" since we do not have a choice on where we can go. You know all the "From" servers will be offlined as soon as possible after the "Voluntary" server transfers. If you don't transfer from a "From" server like Lord Adrass was just designated as. You will end up loosing any characters you have on that server once they shut it down. After all Bioware is not going to keep a server that has no players on it.

Were'd you hear that?! Link the webpage :D

it would be nice if they called this "Server Merges" instead of "Server Transfers" since we do not have a choice on where we can go. You know all the "From" servers will be offlined as soon as possible after the "Voluntary" server transfers. If you don't transfer from a "From" server like Lord Adrass was just designated as. You will end up loosing any characters you have on that server once they shut it down. After all Bioware is not going to keep a server that has no players on it.

No they won't be offlined that quick, they will have their hardware reduced to cut running costs which will lower the population cap (not that this will matter) but they will remain alive for the next couple of patches at least to get the people who resub onto high pop servers so they stay resubbed. After that period they will probably merge all the inactive servers into a few "holding" servers just in case people resub.

Edited by Arlbo_Nabbins

If keeping your legacy name was so important, than perhaps you shouldn't have transferred servers. I am sure Bioware is wrecked that you are I subbing though.

Unlike a lot of people who just threaten to unsub, he's already cancelled. He did exactly what you should do if you are unhappy with a product or service; stop paying for it. I feel bad that it didn't work out for him because I love the game and want everyone to get the same joy from it that I do. That being said, I respect him for putting his money where his mouth is and not just QQing.

Were'd you hear that?! Link the webpage :D

I've seen it done many many times in the past. They will announce transfers, it's free, and it's not mandatory. Then a month or so after that is over they give a list of servers that will be shurtdown. Just remember when this happens it will not be a surprise to me. I'm sure they would like to take the hardware from these old servers and dedicate them to other servers with higher populations. Or repurpose them for something money making.

Edited by Chaad_Losan

Ok seriously. If somebody took your name at least make an effort to get in contact with BioWare to get the issue resolved.

Truth be told, there's not going to be an immediate solution. Why? Server transfers, I'm willing to bet.

Send your complaint to Bioware and make sure they know about this. Then, when things die down if nothing's happen, hound them about it. You'll get more done actively trying to fix something than waiting for somebody to fix it for you.

and I am so going to suffer for this post...

Unlike a lot of people who just threaten to unsub, he's already cancelled. He did exactly what you should do if you are unhappy with a product or service; stop paying for it. I feel bad that it didn't work out for him because I love the game and want everyone to get the same joy from it that I do. That being said, I respect him for putting his money where his mouth is and not just QQing.

This is the first time I cancelled a subscription to a game I still like. Bums me out, but the way they're handling name conflicts is not okay.

You can blame the first server you were on that died on BW opening too many servers after launch, but after that its your own fault for not researching the servers better, or just dumb luck. Servers do die on there own. I was on a few servers that died out over time in WoW. Not cause Blizz had done anything wrong or opened too many server, sometimes these things just happen. But yea, right now they are consolidating server populations, not your characters. Its possible they will do a free transfer for people like you who have multiple high levels on several servers at some point after this, but its not uncommon in sub based games to have to pay to transfer to the server of your choice.

No they won't be offlined that quick, they will have their hardware reduced to cut running costs which will lower the population cap (not that this will matter) but they will remain alive to the next couple of patches to get the people who resub onto high pop servers so they stay resubbed. After that period they will probably merge all the inactive servers into a few "holding" servers just in case people resub.

Sound logic, Arlbo. Less servers, quicker patches, less cost.

HEY BIOWARE, I just wanted to say thank you for doing a great job. I mean my server hasnt made the list yet but i know it will be soon, especially the fact that you guys have done so much already. Just wanted to say you guys rock and i appreciate the work your doing, not just including transfers but for every aspect of this game, thank you!

Now for the other people on this post, please go back to cartoon WOW, or cant even load on day one D3, or one server DCU, either that or keep your mouth shut, u got people FIXING the game for crying out loud, and yet u complain cause your server wasnt first or you dont think they are working hard enough, or some other stupid cry for attention. If you really want to make a difference put in a job app at bioware/Ea and change it then.

Seem that Crevasse Citty is one of the last dead servers to be slated to move, come on SWTOR please help us that are dying there!

Don't panic. I imagine it'll be tomorrow or Friday at latest, hopefully to a 3rd EC PVE destination which isn't already overstuffed (*ahem*send us to Shadowlands please*cough*). If we don't get squashed into JC or CO it'll be worth the wait. I'm content to run dailies with the tumbleweeds for another 24-48 hours if it means we don't end up topping off one of those two servers.

Ok seriously. If somebody took your name at least make an effort to get in contact with BioWare to get the issue resolved.

Truth be told, there's not going to be an immediate solution. Why? Server transfers, I'm willing to bet.

Send your complaint to Bioware and make sure they know about this. Then, when things die down if nothing's happen, hound them about it. You'll get more done actively trying to fix something than waiting for somebody to fix it for you.

and I am so going to suffer for this post...

You won't suffer too bad. I've been saying unpopular reasonable things all day, and I've only been flamed a few times. ;)

You won't suffer too bad. I've been saying unpopular reasonable things all day, and I've only been flamed a few times. ;)

It's the internet; it has trained me to expect brutal retaliation for stating my opinion :p

And thanks.

YET...wait for the paid transfers and you'll be able to go where you want. It's just the first step and the fact it's going smoothly means we are going to get to paid xfers that much sooner.

Lost my legacy name and 4 of my 8 lvl 50s names.

Pretty unhappy.

Where is the loyalty and LEGACY in that? I have a legacy level of 40 something and now have to change my whole family name? lol... such a massive joke.

The server im forced to merge with wasnt even *********** open at 4 am on dec 13 when I logged in and reserved all my names (on multiple servers of course - all that were open at the time)

So now here I am a legacy level 42(ish cant recall offhand) vagabond on a new server and no one even knows who the hell I am at all because my legacy and character names are all gone. Am I supposed to make some imposter version of my rightful name just so I might b recognized by old friends?

After all the free beta feedback and time I spent for them and all the money and in game time Ive spent so far, I would hope for a more elegant solution to what seems to be a much simpler problem than they have made it into.

I have 2 months left on my sub, although I cancelled. I really feel ripped off by this company and will not be supporting them again in the future.

AND another thing MR. BW! I WANTED my name changed!!! You THINK i would've wanted this name, I picked???!! I was SOOOO excited that I had picked out several different names ALREADY but NOOO!!! ....pfff chhh khhh.... that's what I thought!

RABBLE! RABBLE! RABBLE!

I'm just kidding BW! XD

Thank you for doing this BW!! It's now very weeeird seeing all these people on the fleet, at 3pm - surrounding me! They kind of look like live NPC's moving all around >_> hehehe

Joveth,

I really do blame the lack of communication by your team to be a big issue in these complaints. The reason many are frustrated by not being one of the servers that already transferred, are the fact that they might be losing char/legacy names (you know legacy being the whole point of driving 1.1 patch). There is no acknowledgement of this issue, and it leaves players frustrated, not knowing what will happen to their characters, especially with no actions done, trying to free up names to these players.