Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

I am confused regarding Ajunta Pall being an origin server. It is a west coast server, but my only transfer option is an east coast server. My in game latency presently stays around 37 ping, but on east coast servers it is around 90 ping. Since I rolled on a pvp server, you can understand how a lower latency is expected.

In what ways will the higher latency effect pvp combat? I do understand that there are many client-side tricks to present a seamless gameplay experience, so you please understand my question is of a technical nature: In what ways will this > 100% increase in latency actually effect me? If there will be no effect (not no apparent effect), could you please explain how I, playing with a relatively much higher ping, can be on a completely level playing field versus a player with a significantly lower ping. Thanks.

In a perfect world you will never notice. Depending on the traffic route at prime time and congestion I would expect latency to peak at 150ish. You will notice a slight delay if your really on top of your rotation, but it won't be game breaking.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, we are pretty dead. As someone above stated, Shadowlands has about that many on just on the Fleet at prime time, so prolly 200-300 total at least. We aren't super dead like some servers, but we're not destination material.

Fleet population just means a lot of 50s standing around waiting for warzones from what I've seen. A few lower levels waiting on warzones or doing FPs. Fleet population doesn't equal server population.

Boy people are impatient. Before you start flinging obscenities, just understand one thing. You will get your turn. Nothing more, nothing less. Cry murder all you want, this is what you're going to get. This keeps it fair for everyone involved.

Seriously....one or two days of not playing isn't going to kill you.

At least some of you will get your free transfers, I have to wait for paid ones since I mostly play on Canderous Ordo (PVE) and Helm of Graush is PvP.

I am confused regarding Ajunta Pall being an origin server. It is a west coast server, but my only transfer option is an east coast server. My in game latency presently stays around 37 ping, but on east coast servers it is around 90 ping. Since I rolled on a pvp server, you can understand how a lower latency is expected.

In what ways will the higher latency effect pvp combat? I do understand that there are many client-side tricks to present a seamless gameplay experience, so you please understand my question is of a technical nature: In what ways will this > 100% increase in latency actually effect me? If there will be no effect (not no apparent effect), could you please explain how I, playing with a relatively much higher ping, can be on a completely level playing field versus a player with a significantly lower ping. Thanks.

I'd say you also must have a pretty ****** internet connection to be pulling under 100 ping on an east coast server from the west coast.

Fleet population just means a lot of 50s standing around waiting for warzones from what I've seen. A few lower levels waiting on warzones or doing FPs. Fleet population doesn't equal server population.

For the purposes of this server pop balance issue, its pretty important. Its not the leveling players who are suffering on dead servers (I mean yea they are too, maybe have to skip some heroic quests, cant really do flashpoints while leveling) but its the 50s who really have nothing to do because the servers are dead.

Lost my legacy name and 4 of my 8 lvl 50s names.

Pretty unhappy.

Where is the loyalty and LEGACY in that? I have a legacy level of 40 something and now have to change my whole family name? lol... such a massive joke.

The server im forced to merge with wasnt even *********** open at 4 am on dec 13 when I logged in and reserved all my names (on multiple servers of course - all that were open at the time)

So now here I am a legacy level 42(ish cant recall offhand) vagabond on a new server and no one even knows who the hell I am at all because my legacy and character names are all gone. Am I supposed to make some imposter version of my rightful name just so I might b recognized by old friends?

After all the free beta feedback and time I spent for them and all the money and in game time Ive spent so far, I would hope for a more elegant solution to what seems to be a much simpler problem than they have made it into.

I have 2 months left on my sub, although I cancelled. I really feel ripped off by this company and will not be supporting them again in the future.

Here is my question. In the future when paid transfers are available, will I be able to choose which server my characters get transfered to and can I move one from a PVP to a PVE?

This will decide if a character gets transfered right now.

I am patient enough to wait until it is available, my PVE server isn't even on the list yet.

You seem to equate the hour in which last do an update to the amount of work that we are all putting into this. Many weekends and extra hours have been worked in order to bring us to this point. Within the past 48 hrs, we've opened up 122 servers for character transfers in a service that has run (relatively and knock on wood) smoothly. We understand your passion and desire for a transfer, but know that we are taking many factors into account, including making sure that servers are stable.

I thank you for all of those hours.. I have ordered my next time card from Bestbuy as of this morning, even though I have 60+ days left on my account. As soon as it gets here I will readily apply it. I have been here since open beta and will continue to be here.

The game isn't perfect, but then no game is.. But I do appreciate what you, the people that I get to directly interface with and everything that you do.

im guessing veela has been forgot about....nothing has happened and i honestly feel like nothing will,

I have 4 days left on my sub and i dont think i will be resubbing till paid transfers and i can move where i want...this is annoying and boring as hell....3-5 people on fleet during prime time hours from what i have seen and higher pop servers have been getting transfers while we are left waiting being kept like mushrooms....(kept in the dark and feed on crap)

Pretty unhappy.

*clip*

While it does suck that you have to lose your legacy and names, especially since you had them reserved early, the needs of the many have to outweigh the needs of the few.

Pretty unhappy.

Where is the loyalty and LEGACY in that? I have a legacy level of 40 something and now have to change my whole family name? lol... such a massive joke.

The server im forced to merge with wasnt even *********** open at 4 am on dec 13 when I logged in and reserved all my names (on multiple servers of course - all that were open at the time)

So now here I am a legacy level 42(ish cant recall offhand) vagabond on a new server and no one even knows who the hell I am at all because my legacy and character names are all gone. Am I supposed to make some imposter version of my rightful name just so I might b recognized by old friends?

After all the free beta feedback and time I spent for them and all the money and in game time Ive spent so far, I would hope for a more elegant solution to what seems to be a much simpler problem than they have made it into.

I have 2 months left on my sub, although I cancelled. I really feel ripped off by this company and will not be supporting them again in the future.

Would have happened to somebody. It's the nature of MMO's. I have 4 50's as well, that I have uniquely named, so the chances of me having to rename are far slimmer. It's not BW's fault if you chose a name that's commonly known. They can't hold your hand through that whole process. Would have been fair if someone was forced to rename their characters because you had them? What if they had started early access a day before you? You wouldn't be crying foul at all, you'd be saying the exact same thing I am, that it is what it is. It's a fictional name on a digital piece of software. Not your social insurance number.

Here is my question. In the future when paid transfers are available, will I be able to choose which server my characters get transfered to and can I move one from a PVP to a PVE?

This will decide if a character gets transfered right now.

I am patient enough to wait until it is available, my PVE server isn't even on the list yet.

Definitely yes you will be able to choose your destination, but there may be PVP/PVE restrictions, tho most likely not.

im guessing veela has been forgot about....nothing has happened and i honestly feel like nothing will,

I have 4 days left on my sub and i dont think i will be resubbing till paid transfers and i can move where i want...this is annoying and boring as hell....3-5 people on fleet during prime time hours from what i have seen and higher pop servers have been getting transfers while we are left waiting being kept like mushrooms....(kept in the dark and feed on crap)

Nothing else is happening today, but in 2 days theyve gotten through more than half the servers, which is a lot faster than I thought theyd do it. Im still waiting too, but chillax bro.

Would have happened to somebody. It's the nature of MMO's. I have 4 50's as well, that I have uniquely named, so the chances of me having to rename are far slimmer. It's not BW's fault if you chose a name that's commonly known. They can't hold your hand through that whole process. Would have been fair if someone was forced to rename their characters because you had them? What if they had started early access a day before you? You wouldn't be crying foul at all, you'd be saying the exact same thing I am, that it is what it is. It's a fictional name on a digital piece of software. Not your social insurance number.

Well, I think your being a little unfair, he did have early access and the server he moved to wasnt open at launch so hes got a legitimate gripe. I think he should probably take it up directly with BW through an in game ticket or some such. But, yea, crap happens when a company needs to please a bunch of people... it can't please all of em.

Pretty unhappy.

I have empathy for your situation. However I am not sure how 'unique' your names are, or your legacy name was. Mine are names that I have used literally for years and have yet to find anyone who uses them. I started on the Harbinger (I didn't get to move there) and ultimately rolled on another server because of the people with whom I am guilded. They are an awesome bunch and I am glad that I am not leaving them behind.

I have been noticing the trend in population for some time, and I took steps to ensure that my names were available to me today when I transferred. But then in real life that is my job, to always plan for contingencies.. I own a business and have to think of things like that..

I wish you the best, I hope that you can find a way to let water under the bridge be just that.. and continue to enjoy a game that I feel is a great game and one that will be outstanding. It isn't that the game doesn't have its issues, but I feel the company is on the right track and has learned a 'whole' lot of lessons in the last several months and look forward to their and my gaming future.

Peace.

Question is will they terminate the origin servers? people are leaving the origin servers to a destination anyway, mine as well terminate them???

They say no, for now. But I wouldnt be surprised to see them locked, if not actually closed in the not too distant future. And not everyone is leaving. Ive seen several people saying they refuse to move either because they like their server or don't want to lose their names.

Edited by mjmcooke

Just working the math here: I saw the number of total North American servers at around 123 and they've opened 64 up as eligible origin servers and 9 as destination servers. That leaves 50 TBD...looking pretty good that all the servers will be addressed by Friday.

Hopefully by this weekend populations will be back up significantly for all.

Well, I think your being a little unfair, he did have early access and the server he moved to wasnt open at launch so hes got a legitimate gripe. I think he should probably take it up directly with BW through an in game ticket or some such. But, yea, crap happens when a company needs to please a bunch of people... it can't please all of em.

I was in closed beta for months. I logged into the game during the very first day of early access, of which was that Monday morning at 8 am. I already see the server that my guild was assigned to, as being one of the ones most likely to be evacuated. The best thing though, in all the games I play, I usually never have to rename a character because I come up with unique names versus the ones that most will try to take. Great way to protect ourselves is by being creative. Don't follow the cookie cutters out there and start following your own thoughts.

Sorry, I don't feel bad but I understand the frustration as name collisions could have been handled a lot better.

Pretty unhappy.

If keeping your legacy name was so important, than perhaps you shouldn't have transferred servers. I am sure Bioware is wrecked that you are I subbing though.

In a perfect world you will never notice. Depending on the traffic route at prime time and congestion I would expect latency to peak at 150ish. You will notice a slight delay if your really on top of your rotation, but it won't be game breaking.

^ This

My entire active Legacy is on Krayt Dragon. We have no idea what is going to be happening, so my Guild embers can't even make any decisions.

I'm trying to come up with alternates to my names as I assume most will be taken by the time I transfer..IF I have to transfer.

Everything is just so up in the air. If I knew for sure, Origin or Destination, so much would fall into place.

IF BIoware knows at least that much bare info for remaining servers that are on-the-cusp, releasing that info would calm down lots of anxious players right now.

Sure would be appreciated. Overall, the transfer process has been fantastic, but not knowing and possibly being at the back of the line with no knowledge to prepare is extremely stressful.

I wish you the best, I hope that you can find a way to let water under the bridge be just that.. and continue to enjoy a game that I feel is a great game and one that will be outstanding. It isn't that the game doesn't have its issues, but I feel the company is on the right track and has learned a 'whole' lot of lessons in the last several months and look forward to their and my gaming future.

Peace.

All in all I think BW has learned alot and the way theyve handled these transfers is overall a sign of them moving in the right direction, but I do think they should have found a way to at least offer some options to the early access folks. Personally, I prefer more original names, but if an early access person has a smuggler named Han of the Solo Legacy, and thats what they wanted, it is a bit unfair they have to lose that now. Im not really sure what, if anything, BW could have done to prevent this and still fixed the larger problem for the masses, but they should have at least considered it and made a statement about it. However, anyone whos not early access and is whining about naming conflicts, well, yea, they are whiny brats who should put more originality into their names.

Edited by mjmcooke