Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Transfers Tomorrow - Are you excited?

wutru

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on the details. I am excited that I will be able to transfer at some point in the future, but I may have to wait longer than others depending on what the details turn out to be.

BJ

This is very true.

As if they didn't already have enough hands to hold, tomorrow is going to be an absolute explosion of people complaining about X, and how they didn't get on server Y because friend Z is there with guild W. But tomorrow will add yet another bag of disappointment for certain people, when they realize this is going to be a slow, staggered process, and that not everybody is going to be on an origin OR destination server on day 1.

It's pretty likely that a lot of us will be waiting, staying in the current situation we are in, until they've given the system a few good test runs on real servers, it's pretty likely that *MOST* of us will not see any impact from this system for at least a week or two, maybe more.

I'm... apprehensive.

I pretty much like the "state" of selling my crafted wares as is. If my server is a destination server, then I'll likely have to compete against a bunch of new blood that has most likely had little luck selling things at any price due to their simply not being enough people to buy, and thus likely accepting much lower prices than I'll have been getting.

If my server is a source server, than I'll likely face a significant reduction in customers, as some not insignificant percentage of the population vacates.

Hopefully, my server will be neither. Last time I actually went to the server status screen (which almost never happens, I explicitly went their to check the population of my server) IIRC it reported my server as "standard", which presumably means it is the "correct" population, and not in any need of transfers to or from.

I'm hoping they transfer TO the early access servers.

Agreed. Those are the servers that have been around the longest. It'd kinda suck to be preassigned to a server during prelaunch and then have to end up moving because of all the servers they added during actual launch.

Excited?

No. This is the exact same, laughable, original "transfer" system Blizzard used back in classic WoW. The conditions are identical to Blizzard's system circa 2006: They determine the source and destination servers, they arbitrarily determine the numbers on when to stop allowing transfers, and they're locking transfers between server types.

It didn't work very well in addressing problems back then and it isn't going to work well now. All this does is pave the way for paid transfers.

LOL, of course it is. (the paid transfers).

I am excited that there will soon be more players around me, so yes, I suppose.

I am more antsy than excited about the actual process, though. Like most people, I am hoping that my server (early access server my guild was placed on) is a destination server, and dreading the fact that I will probably have to rename a couple of characters if it is not.

I'm hoping they transfer TO the early access servers.

I'm pretty sure they'll be looking at current population, not when the server went live. Two reasons:

1) I suspect that we'll have fewer destination servers than we have early access servers, enough so that even if they did strictly pick early access servers as destination servers, they'd still wind up picking some of them as origin servers.

2) If they don't chose destination servers based strictly on population levels (within a range, not too high, not too low), then there's a distinct chance that at some point they'd be offering someone the chance to transfer to a lower population server, which is counterproductive. The way they're doing it (allowing "on rails" transfers from low-pop to medium-pop) means that even before the transfers start, I know that I'll be playing on a more populated server after taking the transfer than the one I was on before the transfer.

Personally, I think my server is right on the breaking point, it will probably be a destination server, might be a source server, but I seriously doubt that they'll get to us early in the process, so while tomorrow is the kickoff, I don't expect to be involved as an origin or a destination server tomorrow.

Agreed. Those are the servers that have been around the longest. It'd kinda suck to be preassigned to a server during prelaunch and then have to end up moving because of all the servers they added during actual launch.

I agree totally, but for some reason I don't think they look into doing that. if they use the servers which waa the original pre EGA then excellent.

I'll be intrigued with the info what we will recieve tmr.

Although server transfers are desperately needed, they are doing it the laziest possible way, and putting most of the responsability and effort on the shoulders of the customer.

There is also lots of room for error and frustrations, I dont see a way this wont be screwed up.

Guild leaders have to empty bank, disband guild, reform guild on new server, then submit ticket to get bank with slots moved, and then they have to put the items in...it should simply transfer with GM.

Players going from Origin to Destination will get second grab at their name, essentially if you have a name that already exists on that server, tough luck, your character name you have had for months and months is now changed. Some wont care, for others this will be a big deal, because they name you spent time to think of, or went out of your way to get as early as possible, and that all your in game friends and guildies have come to know you buy is now gone. Even if its just a 1 character change to get it to remain, it cheapens the name and the experience, at least for me. I know for certain the names I have used for 4 of my 5 characters are very popular names based on other game/book lore, and I was lucky to get them and only got them by gaining early access via pre-order and saving all the names day 1.

Entire guilds should be able to transfer in one shot. Bank should move with GM/Guild.

No real solution to naming issue that I can see but it sucks for those who are on the Origin Servers, its not your fault your server pop went to ish.

Naming should perhaps be based on creation date.

Depends on the details. I like The Fatman server now, and I have my characters that I like on it too, so I'm hoping the server doesn't die or seriously lose a lot of players otherwise I'm stuck rerolling...AGAIN :mad:

But it all depends. Hoping that won't happen.

This raise a question in my mind.

If they go by current population and then manage to bring life back the dying beast. Wont some servers be wildly over populated.

If they go by server actual population (all accounts not just playing or active) wont that still allow for dead environments?

What did they use as a merge rule in wow?

This raise a question in my mind.

If they go by current population and then manage to bring life back the dying beast. Wont some servers be wildly over populated.

No, because they are increasing the population caps substantially.

Excited, but very disappointed that we have received no details on destination and origin servers at this point yet (4PM EST on Monday). We should have had this information last Friday. :mad:

I find their lack of communication disturbing :mad:

Players going from Origin to Destination will get second grab at their name, essentially if you have a name that already exists on that server, tough luck, your character name you have had for months and months is now changed. Some wont care, for others this will be a big deal, because they name you spent time to think of, or went out of your way to get as early as possible, and that all your in game friends and guildies have come to know you buy is now gone. Even if its just a 1 character change to get it to remain, it cheapens the name and the experience, at least for me. I know for certain the names I have used for 4 of my 5 characters are very popular names based on other game/book lore, and I was lucky to get them and only got them by gaining early access via pre-order and saving all the names day 1.

Naming should perhaps be based on creation date.

Yup alot people missing these key points in the announcement. I can tell my char names are popular and legacy name even very SW lore inspirated. So if i loose the names because im forced to move (was here since early launch first wave) i possibly stop my sub sadly. Done this before with other MMO also in past. Its shame really if that happens, i did enjoy this game overall.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.