To me this game dose not represent an MMO.

Trigaa

(DISCLAIMER): THIS IS MY OPINION, I AM ENTITLED TO FEED BACK, AS I AM A PAYING CUSTOMER. FANBOYS GO AWAY.

when I think of MMO I think of one giant seamless world, or at least a world with minimal seems. SW:TOR seems more like a co-op online game.

just to use an obvious comparison, in WOW I can run my toon from one end of the continent to the other with our a loading screen, and I can interact with all the people I find there in the chat. I do not have to switch servers to join my party as you some times have to do in SW:TOR.

And don't complain about lag, and other things, I have played wow recently and I rarely get any lag. Even in eve online were the entire game population is on the same server I rarely get lag, unless I'm in like a 600 ship battle.

I am just used to games like planet side, and wow and eve. I mean the original marketing line for mmo was that you played with every other player at the same time, you were all on the same server.

I think this game is massive in scale, there is a lot of worlds and areas, and this game is multilayer, but I d not think it is both at the same time. It should be labeled as a "massive co-op game" I think.

What is every one else think about this?

I really think you don't know what an MMO is!

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree completely...i find it to be more of a single player mmo....if that makes any sense. I find myself doing my own crap 24/7 rather than with a group.

I do most things with a group, go figure. I guess it's a choice. If you want to group, group, it's not like there aren't dozens and dozens of messages flooding chat for groups.

I agree completely...i find it to be more of a single player mmo....if that makes any sense. I find myself doing my own crap 24/7 rather than with a group.

I found this also in Aion, Warhammer Online, Rift, Age of Conan, EQ2, etc..etc... They all have solo leveling to the end if YOU decide to skip group content...

SWTOR has lots of group content but people seem to skip it or worse yet complain they can't solo it... so yeah there ya go...

WOWS other quality's aside, I was commenting solely on the fact that in that game there is a seamless world that I can run from one end to the other with out a loading screen.

Or another example would be planet side, routinely we had battles with hundreds of players, some times close to 1000 players. on one planet fighting in the same battle.

The technology today is available, to say you need a super computer to do it and there fore shouldn't be done is ridiculous. These mmo games rake in the dough they can afford good hard ware.

It's not only about the server issues though; think about the respective playerbase: if you "force" people to play in areas with 1000s of players......you can't do that on a 4 year old PC (unless you phase/shard).

They have to make the game accessible to as many people as possible. Yes, it would be AWESOME to have epic 1000 person battles in a SW setting, but it's not feasible to expect most gamers to be able to afford systems to run it.

I found this also in Aion, Warhammer Online, Rift, Age of Conan, EQ2, etc..etc... They all have solo leveling to the end if YOU decide to skip group content...

SWTOR has lots of group content but people seem to skip it or worse yet complain they can't solo it... so yeah there ya go...

Yep. I actually see MORE group stuff in SWTOR than I've seen in MMOs of recent years. People just don't make use of it, or they expect to be able to 1337solo it for their youtube channel, and then they complain when they can't.

Edited by LeSamourai

Thats youir choice. There's plenty of group content in this game. Not their fault if you choose not to do it.

You realize you can solo 24/7 in WoW if you choose to as well right?

I don't understand people who say "This is not an MMO". Because you can't run from Tython to Coruscant? Doesn't that not make sense? Did the transition from Blasted Lands to Outlands in WoW make it not a MMO too?

This^

So many times this ...

(DISCLAIMER): THIS IS MY OPINION, I AM ENTITLED TO FEED BACK, AS I AM A PAYING CUSTOMER. FANBOYS GO AWAY.

when I think of MMO I think of one giant seamless world, or at least a world with minimal seems. SW:TOR seems more like a co-op online game.

I think it's one of the primary selling points.

Thats youir choice. There's plenty of group content in this game. Not their fault if you choose not to do it.

You realize you can solo 24/7 in WoW if you choose to as well right?

I don't understand people who say "This is not an MMO". Because you can't run from Tython to Coruscant? Doesn't that not make sense? Did the transition from Blasted Lands to Outlands in WoW make it not a MMO too?

To be fair, I would eventually like to see the game open up to the point where you can hop in your space ship, blast out into space, jump to hyperspace, land in an entirely different system, and bring your ship down on an entirely different planet, all without a loading screen.

That said, I think Bioware did a hell of a job on the game so far, and the instancing doesn't really bother me. They did what they could with their starting resources, and I trust them to expand the game in a good way as the game ages.

And to the OP, you have the right to feedback... you don't have the right to dictate what sort of feedback you receive. That's why it's called feedback, not, "Everybody agrees with me all the time... -back."

OP:

Blizzard is the company that mainstreamed instancing, primarily because of spawn camping in other games, most notably EQ. Blizz employees played EQ, a lot, and instancing was a solution to one of the flaws they saw with MMOs like EQ and UO, et al. If we have anyone to "blame" for the trend towards instancing, it's Blizzard.

Edited by KippTabor

I know what your saying, and I find it refreshing.

When I played wow, I'd stay logged in Dalaran and run in circles until my friends showed up and we'd raid. I never wanted to do dailies, or other quests. They were so boring!

But here... I enjoy the quests-- I play this game with my boyfriend, and we're not supposed to level our mains without each other. I've never had a problem with this in wow- I didn't even enjoy leveling, and I sure as heck didn't enjoy it without the boyfriend... But in this game, it's so easy to enjoy it from any angle- even when I'm all by myself. I actually have alts, because I enjoy playing this game just me.... I like the ability to enjoy this game even when my entire guild isn't online

MMORPG:

Massive

Multi-user

Roll

Playing

Game

Which of these does TOR not represent? Just because it not the kind of MMO you prefer does not mean it's not an MMO. The PT Cruiser is not a car I prefer but doesn't mean that it's not a car.

just to use an obvious comparison, in WOW I can run my toon from one end of the continent to the other with our a loading screen, and I can interact with all the people I find there in the chat. I do not have to switch servers to join my party as you some times have to do in SW:TOR.

And don't complain about lag, and other things, I have played wow recently and I rarely get any lag. Even in eve online were the entire game population is on the same server I rarely get lag, unless I'm in like a 600 ship battle.

I am just used to games like planet side, and wow and eve. I mean the original marketing line for mmo was that you played with every other player at the same time, you were all on the same server.

I think this game is massive in scale, there is a lot of worlds and areas, and this game is multilayer, but I d not think it is both at the same time. It should be labeled as a "massive co-op game" I think.

BLA BLA BLA WALL OF TEXT

we dont care u dont like it? then get out of here u wont be missed just try to not smash the door to hard cause nobody cares what peeps like you say the game is an mmo and a great mmo haters gonna hate kkthxbb

Am really enjoying the game so far but at level 17 I am yet to see anything to resemble an MMO. Now when I say MMO I mean a proper MMO, not like Star Trek or City of heroes, they were plastic mmo's. Proper mmo's are Eve, Rift, WOW etc where you have everyone on the same place, not mirrors of every world, that just breaks immersion.

I am also not liking the Linear zones, I feel like i am railroaded to each mission. I want worlds to be like all the WOW zones or Rift zones, you can travel anywhere you like, it feels so much bigger when you can do that. I mean Coroscant felt tiny to me as it was all just corridors with left and right turns in it, possibly the most boring map I have ever seen in a game. Infact if a designer presented me with that map during the development of the game he would have got a verbal warning :)

I am hoping for some great open worlds as I get into the 20 - 30 levels and expect lots of crossover world pvp while I quest. If this does not happen then I will be resubbing to Rift as I need to feel like I am in a vibrant dangerous world and so far SWTOR has not shown any signs of this, it's been a very much coop/single player so far.

Yeah WoW has a big open seamless world all right, with a lot open nothingness.

This is also a STAR WARS game where planets are required.

WoW -

http://assets.devx.com/articlefigs/19119.jpg

TOR -

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/coruscant-image-01.jpg

See what I mean?

aaaaah...i was waiting for someone to say that.

Isn't it obvious ?! :D

just to clarify, it IS an MMO. with that said, I find it refreshing that it might not feel like one.