Ranked WZ's on track for 1.3 release

pure_laced

Presumably this will be in conjunction with server transfers, so if nothing else you won't be standing on an empty fleet...you'll have people to play with.

I guess it all comes down to just how many servers they're doing the transfers too (and thus, how many they're preparing to close). If they end up shuttling everyone just to 15 servers or something and kill the rest off, you'd certainly have the population needed to actually do same server rated WZs and have at least some meaning to it.

Hard to say I guess. One thing is for certain, it'll be better than it is now. How much better? I don't know.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we get to fight the same people in the same WZs with a slighlty different set of points... oh wait we already have those points.

Oh but wait, they will rate our preformance! Uhm, *** does that really matter? Its the same old WZs, making our eyes bleed due to the lack of new scenery.

BG format PvP = Old dead horse getting kicked in the teeth.

Rated 8v8 just isnt going to help this game back on its feet. The promises of w-pvp are broken since long, a promise that had many people start playing this game. Too bad it was the biggest failing attempt in MMO history.

Epic world pvp like you've never seen it before or what they said pre-release. Yep true that, except that it should have said "epicly laggy w-pvp like you've never seen it before, with zero purpose to the objectives or anyhting else in the zone".

You can only transfer to servers Bioware designates. Good luck with that.

This would be the biggest fail in the history of gaming. My old server died so I rerolled(instead of unsubbing) to a popular server. I BETTER be able to take my old 50's from my dead server and bring then to Jedi covenant with my other 50's.

This would be the biggest fail in the history of gaming. My old server died so I rerolled(instead of unsubbing) to a popular server. I BETTER be able to take my old 50's from my dead server and bring then to Jedi covenant with my other 50's.

If I remember the rules correctly you can only "free" transfer within certain rules initially. I am sure they will allow paid transfers at will eventually.

Heard about age of conan? It recently went F2P, also let me remind you they gave us 4 PVP maps within 4 years and took an vacation with no updates the first two months of release.

I wont find any products from Funcom promising ever again, even though AOC is still left out in my hearth

Hahaha Funcom. They put the FU in fun.

Awesome, but... Do we know if it will be cross server?

If not, thats still trouble for all except for maybe the Fatman...

No, they said they don't believe in cross-server. This is really disappointing, as cross-server rivalry on WoW was a lot of fun and generally had quick bg pops.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-may-25th-2012-%E2%80%93-special-edition-game-update-1.3

Mallorik: What is your philosophy on cross server LFG tools? Are we getting a same server tool just to hold us over while you work on cross server tech or is this just a test to see if a same server tool will do the job?

Daniel: Although we’re certainly willing to entertain the idea of cross-server LFG tools if the need arises, it’s a last resort for us. We firmly believe for cooperative play it is important to have a community and social responsibility that you simply can’t have with players appearing and disappearing from your reality. Instead we are pushing hard on servers that are massive compared to the ones we launched with. Early tests show we’ll be able to raise the peak concurrent user cap above what it was at launch. Combining that with server transfers to enable players to move to these new servers and fill them to the brim, we should see some fantastic, vibrant communities develop where Group Finder will always be able to find someone for your content.

Edited by Kllashaa

No, they said they don't believe in cross-server. This is really disappointing, as cross-server rivalry on WoW was a lot of fun and generally had quick bg pops.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-may-25th-2012-%E2%80%93-special-edition-game-update-1.3

This is because Bioware is filled with a bunch of stupid devs that can't think outside the box when it comes to PvP.

The obvious answer to PvP queues is to make it so that if players from Port Nowhere queue up then for a month long period they are pitted against people NOT on their server, but with 1 of 3 other servers. I believe WoW did this with Battlegroups (or something), but WoW didn't push it far enough by rewarding the ENTIRE server for winning.

Everyone has a special tag that is labeled DURING THE WZ. So that the players know they are facing off against another server (indeed each server would have their own tag).

Bioware is too stupid to realize that this system will actually foster server, and thus community, pride - not destroy it. They could even reward the entire server with something if they win the most WZs in a given week.

Arenanet gets it, as this is exactly what they are launching with DAY ONE!

I don't like GW2 as I think it is too simple, but I may play it just because the devs there actually seem to GET IT when it comes to design for PvP.

Everyone has a special tag that is labeled DURING THE WZ. So that the players know they are facing off against another server (indeed each server would have their own tag).

Bioware is too stupid to realize that this system will actually foster server, and thus community, pride - not destroy it. They could even reward the entire server with something if they win the most WZs in a given week.

I really like this idea. There was a ton of server pride on BG9 (Tichondrius, Blackrock, Silver Hand, etc.) and each server was extremely proud of their top PVP guilds and PVPers. I know people on Swiftsure who'd like a crack at Fatman, and I'm sure the elite guilds on Fatman would appreciate the competition.

Honestly, due to the way the game's designed, I feel no animosity to imps or pubs on my server, likely because I have characters on both sides. I'd rather beat up on people on another server.

Edited by Kllashaa

This is because Bioware is filled with a bunch of stupid devs that can't think outside the box when it comes to PvP.

The obvious answer to PvP queues is to make it so that if players from Port Nowhere queue up then for a month long period they are pitted against people NOT on their server, but with 1 of 3 other servers. I believe WoW did this with Battlegroups (or something), but WoW didn't push it far enough by rewarding the ENTIRE server for winning.

Arenanet gets it, as this is exactly what they are launching with DAY ONE!

I don't like GW2 as I think it is too simple, but I may play it just because the devs there actually seem to GET IT when it comes to design for PvP.

I wish...

Well, if they make the servers big enough after transfers PVP would be a lot healthier, but the servers would have to be made MUCH bigger than they are now for it to work. Otherwise, ranked PVP thats not cross-server wouldn't really be that big of difference. The top few guilds end up facing off against each other with 4 man premades a lot anyway, so while 8 man groups would be fun if it wasnt cross server that would take a lot of the excitement out.

Also, without cross server - what are the chances that there are two 8 man teams queuing at the same time (unless they coordinate)? With the servers as they are now, it doesn't look so good.

Here's hoping for the best with PVP after 1.3...