Next two playable races

Lyrinna

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally have to wonder how the Cathar was the species picked to be added to the game. There are so many more iconic Star Wars species. .

Probably for a similar reason that we have HK-51 as a companion. Cathar are well remembered from KOTOR, and SWTOR is essentially a successor to KOTOR's universe.

Making an alien race fully human playable is a huge amount of work, at least if you want to give players the level of customization options that they have come to expect. It takes a lot of work to make all of the customization options work together and look good, while still ensuring people still can find looks that are unique to each other.

The Togruta provide a unique problem in this regard, in regards to the tentacles. Yes, the Twi'leks have tentacles too, but they are typically behind the player, whereas the Togruta's canonically drape across the front of the character. This means that they struggle to work with the existing animations and gear without clipping -- indeed, the first screenshot you see for Ashara if you google her is one with her chin ridiculously clipping through her tentacle. While this may be acceptable for a companion who is frequently offscreen while fighting, or NPCs who we can dress and pose carefully, its much more problematic for player characters who need to be able to wear anything and perform any animation and still look good. (The Twi'leks clip somewhat as well, but much art was tweaked to make this a lot less prevalent than it otherwise would have been)

I'm not trying to pour cold water in the species discussion. Quite the opposite - if the Cathar do well, I hope to expand your options even more, and we should know the answer to that 'soonish'. I just don't want anyone to think that just because an alien is currently in the game as an NPC, that it is trivial to turn it into player art -- it's a TON of work to do that, and do it well.

After reading that i got only one last question: What spieces could be done?

Making an alien race fully human playable is a huge amount of work, at least if you want to give players the level of customization options that they have come to expect. It takes a lot of work to make all of the customization options work together and look good, while still ensuring people still can find looks that are unique to each other.

The Togruta provide a unique problem in this regard, in regards to the tentacles. Yes, the Twi'leks have tentacles too, but they are typically behind the player, whereas the Togruta's canonically drape across the front of the character. This means that they struggle to work with the existing animations and gear without clipping -- indeed, the first screenshot you see for Ashara if you google her is one with her chin ridiculously clipping through her tentacle. While this may be acceptable for a companion who is frequently offscreen while fighting, or NPCs who we can dress and pose carefully, its much more problematic for player characters who need to be able to wear anything and perform any animation and still look good. (The Twi'leks clip somewhat as well, but much art was tweaked to make this a lot less prevalent than it otherwise would have been)

I'm not trying to pour cold water in the species discussion. Quite the opposite - if the Cathar do well, I hope to expand your options even more, and we should know the answer to that 'soonish'. I just don't want anyone to think that just because an alien is currently in the game as an NPC, that it is trivial to turn it into player art -- it's a TON of work to do that, and do it well.

First: Thank you for taking the time to attempt to explain what some of the issues are.

Second: The main reason almost all my characters are humans or twi'leks is that I don't find "humans-with-different-skin-tones-etc" particularly interesting. If I'm going to invest 200 hours of my time into an alien character, I'd rather that they were, well, *alien*. KOTOR's Juhani aside, I don't particularly like the cathar (not a cat-person I guess), but I will be creating and playing cathar whenever they become avaiable as my way of "voting with my wallet" for more playable species in SWTOR. Beyond the Cathar, I'm hoping that you guys have run out of near-human species to add and are now considering adding more alien-looking player species despite the enormous amount of work this would entail. I can make an "Echani", "Arkanian" and almost get a Kiffar out of the existing *human* character creator (really all that is missing is the appropriate tattoos). Similarly, one can create a tendril-less Pureblood and call it a Zeltron if one really wanted to.

Third: I would like to put in a word for the Sullustans. The idea of playing a sullustan smuggler or bounty hunter is really appealing to me.

After reading alot fo these anti alien responses, i think the fanbase and the devs need to brush up on starwars or at least be fans.

I dont find much point in beating my head against a wall so i guess i will give up any hope for interesting species options much like I have given up hope for chat bubbles or iconic planets like Yavin .

Just a space game with some starwars stuff in it.

^^^THIS^^^^

just a single player game with online capabilities and star wars stuff in it B^(

After reading that i got only one last question: What spieces could be done?

• Zeltrons
  • Arkanian
  • Chev
  • Echani
  • Keshiri
  • Khommite
  • Kiffar
  • Lorrdian
  • Nagai
  • Omwati
  • Theelin
  • Tholothians
  • Ubese
  • Zelosian

And those are just near-humans, as for Humanoids:

• Balosar
  • Gormack
  • Bothan
  • Cerean
  • Clawdite (possibly)
  • Duros
  • Devaronian
  • Falleen
  • Gotal
  • Iktotchi
  • Kaleesh
  • Kel Dor
  • Mon Calamari
  • Nautolan
  • Rodian
  • Tarro
  • Thakwaash
  • Trandoshan

Edited by Altyrell

We probably would never make a non-English speaking player race. I know it seems attractive, but simply put, hearing alien for way too long drives you crazy. An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.

So any races we add in the future will need to plausibly be able to speak basic.

I'm guessing the devs have not played the Sith Inquisitor story on Belsavis, because if they had

they would know the having to speak basic problem has already been addressed by the portion of quest where the player meets the Circle. In which a Nikto speaks basic by using a device he developed.

I'm guessing the devs have not played the Sith Inquisitor story on Belsavis, because if they had

they would know the having to speak basic problem has already been addressed by the portion of quest where the player meets the Circle. In which a Nikto speaks basic by using a device he developed.

That's fine in the context of a quest, but having a bunch of Wookiees running around speaking basic would be a huge Lore breaker, even if you say "it's just a device".

So Bioware doesn't want to do a nonenglish playable races like wookies? Just give the character a little droid which hovers around the character which will speak for it. You can even use OLD voice overs with just adding an droid effect to it.

There fixed. Not sure how cutscenes are designed so I don't know how hard it will be to add this little thing to existing ones, but I bet it's doable.

Lazy? Yea a bit, but if you don't have a budget you have to work with what you got to make your clients happy.

Players who wanted unique races will be happy? Yep.

Will players complain? Of course. They will complain no matter what you do.

BioWare seems to not understand that this games needs iconic races no matter what...

Edited by MelodicSixNine

Two popular near-human species which they should at least consider adding is Kiffar and Zeltron. They're both different in appearance than the current selection of near-human species and they shouldn't be hard to implement.

I'd also add that playable species have to be able to speak Basic. So no wookiees, no sullustans, etc.

It would get *really* annoying after awhile to have your character not speak Basic.

No arguments about playable species needing to speak Basic. However it doesn't follow that that requirement would exclude Sullustan player characters. Some Sullustans in SWTOR speak Basic. Not all of course, but enough do that you can't class them as a non-Basic speaking species.

I'm not saying that I *expect* Sullustan player-characters s to be added to the game, only that I *want* them to be added. My expectations are that any additional player-species will be near-humans, with the Echani being among one of the more likely. If this should prove to be the case, then little more than a color-palate swap has to be made before the could be added. .

Edited by Salmonleap

Given the limits of the game and the game engine there are certain species that are just stupid. There will never be a Hutt force leaping and given how short a Hutts arms are and big their belly they will never use a lightsaber without cutting themselves up. So hoping they will one day be added is pointless unless used Ironically and unless dealing with emos suggesting things ironically is equally pointless.

Given that we don't know what race yoda that species will not be added until that is identified and given what the devs have said its extremely unlikely. Jawa wont ever be added, we don't know what they look like behind the masks so how can you have a hide head slot or even any customisation of look. We will never see anything that is story breaking, that is when you arrive on Voss as a Voss and find everyone acts like the Voss haven't picked sides and are an unknown race and the Voss act like you aren't one of them.

Then there is asking for coloured humans or humans with one different feature. Whats the point of this? We have lots of coloured humans to pick from, so unless someone has a very strong connection to the lore a grey human and white human offer very little difference. And really not spending 15 bucks from the cartel market for it. A new species should be identifiable straight away not indistinguishable from what we already have all very very similar. At least if its going to be worth purchasing.

Two popular near-human species which they should at least consider adding is Kiffar and Zeltron. They're both different in appearance than the current selection of near-human species and they shouldn't be hard to implement.

oh, kiffar could be interesting! i wonder if they could find a way to add their special ability as a racial?

and zeltrons <3<3 i love zeltrons <3<3

the zeltron could have a racial pheromone ability, like a presented earlier for the falleen.

Have a look at the long running poll on new races. Wookiees and Droids have a lot of votes, last time I checked Wookiees had the most votes.

Cel Cawdro's Ultimate "Community Desire for Species" Poll is the thread name. BioWare doesn't like for us to link to other topics so I won't provide a link. I can update that wookiee is no longer the top vote getter in that poll but it is still very popular with the third most votes.

I have never heard of that Cel Cawdro's Ultimate "XXX" Poll, therefor I have never gave my vote. That is important because I am against Wookiees and Droids as playable class. Seems to me like they are listening to us.

In my case Wookie is the worse thing I have ever seen. Not only that I dislike their Big Foot look or, better yet, man dressed in poorly designed bear costume, I also feel like setting my PC on fire every time I hear their roar.

Same goes for Huttese, if that is how you spell it.

My vote goes for:

Torguta and Voss.

that is when you arrive on Voss as a Voss and find everyone acts like the Voss haven't picked sides and are an unknown race and the Voss act like you aren't one of them.

How do you know that that will be how it happens? Cause if you are an Imperial Chiss and you speak to the Chiss on Hoth, you can actually learn more about the Individual Chiss that you talk to because the Chiss only open up to other Chiss. Meaning, as an Imperial Chiss on Hoth you get extra lines of Dialogue when talking to some of the NPC's on Hoth.

So, how do you know that that couldn't be how it's done for the Voss if they were to ever add them. I think that the better example for what you were driving at, would be if they were to ever allow Players to play as the Gormack.

I dont really see how my character not speaking basic would be annoying.

If the species available for purchase or set to unlock for a class when the class is complete then its an option.

Its no more lore breaking to play Voss on Voss then playing a Jedi Knight Pureblood Sith, which we have already.

(there is a spoiler reason i used knight)

When I re-roll, i am hearing the exact same lines of dialoge again on the exact same missions, wheter its in english, dutch or huttess what do I care? I have heard it all and by the time i hit Taris, its all most all spacebar.

During flashpoints and ops, i cant see how it matters. I am not going to win all the rolls and Chewbacca never spoke basic and everybody loves Chewy.

Just make it a legacy linked option to play alien species, its an option outside of the intiial class combos so there can be no lore complaints anyway.

The majority of my gameplay occurs in RP and Warzones, the leveling process is a small insignificant portion of the life of your toon. This part should not affect the ability to unlock new playable characters.

A new species should be identifiable straight away not indistinguishable from what we already have all very very similar. At least if its going to be worth purchasing.

My thoughts exatly.Really i personaly don't want more recolored spieces.

We probably would never make a non-English speaking player race. I know it seems attractive, but simply put, hearing alien for way too long drives you crazy. An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.

So any races we add in the future will need to plausibly be able to speak basic.

Makes sense. I know hearing the limited loops of alien speak right now is occasionally grating.

The Togruta provide a unique problem in this regard, in regards to the tentacles. Yes, the Twi'leks have tentacles too, but they are typically behind the player, whereas the Togruta's canonically drape across the front of the character. This means that they struggle to work with the existing animations and gear without clipping -- indeed, the first screenshot you see for Ashara if you google her is one with her chin ridiculously clipping through her tentacle. While this may be acceptable for a companion who is frequently offscreen while fighting, or NPCs who we can dress and pose carefully, its much more problematic for player characters who need to be able to wear anything and perform any animation and still look good.

But... but... I wanted a Togruta. :jawa_frown:

Please, please, pretty please with a jawa on top? :jawa_angel:

Edited by MsMalice