[Guide] Reverse Engineering

Slaign

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Cybertech (about 70 I think) and I have a few questions.

I see the weapon/armor RE adds a stat when you learn the blue recipe.

For Cybertech it seems that you always learn the blue with the same stats but just +1

So let's say Skill Mod 2 (green) gives you +1 End and +5 Cunning, it seems that Skill Mod 2 (blue) will always give you +2 End and +6 Cunning.

Is that correct?

Mostly correct -- blue and purples just give you slightly better stats for mods. Once you get to higher-level mods, the bonus from blues and purples is more than just +1. For example, the Might Mod 10 has +14 str, +6 end. The blue is +18/+7, and the purple is +20/+8.

- Once you've learned the blue recipe is there any point in crafting more of the green one to RE? Or is it a waste of resources?

For mods, you can't get any new recipes (there is just one blue for each green, and one purple for each blue). That said, it still might be worth it to craft the green items to skill up your cybertech skill and then you can RE them if you don't want to try and sell them so you get some materials back. For armor/weapons (including the earpieces you can make as a cybertech), you can get the 3 blues and 15 purples so it is worth it to continue trying if you want a different stat bonus.

- Is it stupid to RE low level greens just to get a blue recipe?

What I mean is that I REd a blue Skill Mod 2 but then I learned Skill Mod 3 from the trainer and it was basically better.

So it seems that REing low level item could be a big waste of resources....

Yes and no. In general, it seems that blues are 2-3 levels "higher" than greens, such that a level 10 blue is approximately equivalent to a level 12 green. If you are crafting on-level, then the blue (or even purple) gear will put you ahead of the game a little bit. The same is especially true if you are selling items -- people are much more likely to overpay for a blue item even if a level later they could get an equivalent green item for a quarter of the cost.

I'm Cybertech (about 70 I think) and I have a few questions.

I see the weapon/armor RE adds a stat when you learn the blue recipe.

For Cybertech it seems that you always learn the blue with the same stats but just +1

So let's say Skill Mod 2 (green) gives you +1 End and +5 Cunning, it seems that Skill Mod 2 (blue) will always give you +2 End and +6 Cunning.

Is that correct?

Now I have a few questions.

- Once you've learned the blue recipe is there any point in crafting more of the green one to RE? Or is it a waste of resources?

- Is it stupid to RE low level greens just to get a blue recipe?

What I mean is that I REd a blue Skill Mod 2 but then I learned Skill Mod 3 from the trainer and it was basically better.

So it seems that REing low level item could be a big waste of resources....

In any case, good guide. Keep it up.

I'm also Cybertech and you are correct...

Blue is +1 stats, I think purple is another +1.

Next tier is usually the same as blue, but you have to be a higher level to use them.

We only get one upgrade per recipe (green to blue and blue to purple) so if you aren't getting experience, there is no reason to craft more greens.

Can ALL protype's RE to give Artifact schematics? I've got artifact schematics from Adrenals/Medkits/Stims (very quickly tbh, usually about 2 per level is all thats needed).

Got a prototype Implant on first try, then 18~ RE's of the prototype later still nothing, rarely get more than 2 mats back too :/

(hyperneural might package -> overkill hyperneural might package. Anything come next anyone know?)

You should be able to earn 5 Artifact schematics from the Overkill schematic. You should also be able to learn 2 more Prototype schematics from the original base schematic (Redoubt and Critical)

A few questions related to REing:

1. Has anyone successfully learned a brand new recipe by REing a non-crafted item? For example, it would be nice to be able to craft Guardian Mods (similar to the +str/+end ones we get as cybertechs from the trainer but the stat balance is tipped toward end rather than str), but they don't seem to be trainable. I tried purchasing 10 of the mods from a commendation vendor and REing them but I never learned a recipe -- not sure if I just didn't get lucky or if it's not possible.
  2. Is it possible to learn a recipe from a crafted item if you don't know the base recipe? Say Player X crafts the base green item and gives it to player Y, who doesn't have that particular recipe for the green item. Can player Y RE the item and get a blue recipe? This could be a way to "propogate" rarer recipes to other crafters if it is possible.

1. I don't know. I have never learned a schematic from a world drop, nor have I seen anyone report that they have. That doesn't make it impossible, just unlikely. It's possible that there are specific items out there that can result in RE schematics while others can't, and juts no one I know of has gotten lucky on the right item.

2. I'm not sure, that's an interesting question. I'd encourage anyone with a friend of the same profession to give this a try and report the results.

Great guide. THANKS !!

As for Custo items (orange ones), when you score critical while crafting one of those item will get Augument slot, don't know about prefix though.

Good information, thank you. I assumed this would likely be the case, because it wouldn't make sense for orange gear to be left out in the cold, but as I don't have any orange schematics yet, I couldn't test it. So thanks again.

Added a new section to the guide:

Why can't I find this schematic? Is it broken?!

Chances are that no, it's not broken. The RE system is random, meaning you are likely just getting very unlucky. Sometimes you might get lucky and get a schematic first try, other times you might RE dozens of items and get no schematic. Keep trying, the schematic is out there if it follows the established pattern above. If there are any exceptions, I will add them to the guide as I learn of them.

There are reports that the higher your crafting skill in relation to the recipe you are RE'ing, the higher your chances are to earn the schematic. This is nearly impossible to confirm absolutely from a player standpoint, but you may find it worth while to try coming back to schematics once you have a few more skill points. The upshot of this, however, is the more you make the item in attempts to RE it, the more your skill will go up.

I'm also Cybertech and you are correct...

Blue is +1 stats, I think purple is another +1.

Next tier is usually the same as blue, but you have to be a higher level to use them.

We only get one upgrade per recipe (green to blue and blue to purple) so if you aren't getting experience, there is no reason to craft more greens.

Is the one upgrade per recipe for Cybertech just for the mods or do they branch out with things such as the earpieces?

Is the one upgrade per recipe for Cybertech just for the mods or do they branch out with things such as the earpieces?

I also would like to know this, for the guide. I also heard Biochem Implants don't use the prefix system. Confirmation anyone?

If the base item is blue, you can RE and get purple tier 1 prefixes. It was recently confirmed that RE'ing those purple tier 1 prefixes can result in purple tier 2 prefixes. So that doesn't mean tier 3 prefixes would have to be legendary.

That said, I don't think there is a third tier. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and 2 tiers already makes the crafting system quite massive.

So recipes witch start of, as blue seem more expensive to get to tier 2 prefixes ...

Also seems to me a waste of time to disenchant green items -> didn't get a single recipe

Update: did a TON , a TON of Armstech crafting today:

Got green>blue>purple recipes for blasters/rifles/autocannons levels 13/17/21/25/29

some i got more than one variant ( got damn defense tier 1 prefix on blues )

Can confirm everything the op has stated is indeed working and true.

BUG: linking a prefixed item to chat lists it without the prefix and without the prefix stats

it shows good in trade window/ GTN and the prefix stats work if you put the item on ...

Also possible bug : crit crafting mods doesn't give 2 ... at least not to me ... did they change it ?

So recipes witch start of, as blue seem more expensive to get to tier 2 prefixes ...

Also seems to me a waste of time to disenchant green items -> didn't get a single recipe

Update: did a TON , a TON of Armstech crafting today:

Got green>blue>purple recipes for blasters/rifles/autocannons levels 13/17/21/25/29

some i got more than one variant ( got damn defense tier 1 prefix on blues )

Can confirm everything the op has stated is indeed working and true.

BUG: linking a prefixed item to chat lists it without the prefix and without the prefix stats

it shows good in trade window/ GTN and the prefix stats work if you put the item on ...

Also possible bug : crit crafting mods doesn't give 2 ... at least not to me ... did they change it ?

I'll confirm the chat bug and add it into the guide with thanks to you. For the "Crit crafting mods doesn't give 2" bit, can you elaborate on what you expect to happen and what is actually happening? Because I read that as you expect critical crafting to yield two items, and this isn't how it works in any profession, to my knowledge.

I received an interesting question today: Do schematics learned from drops and vendors as apposed to trainers also have RE'ing, and do they follow the prefix or linear upgrade paths?

I don't know the answer to this yet, and would appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Crafted some heavy mobile body armor today--- got the tier 1 proc on the first try no problem.

Funny thing though- the new recipe was "overkill heavy mobile body armor" and it had +crit on it instead of +power.

I then proceeded to try to reverse engineer it to the tier 2 variant. 20 times so far.. nothing.. not even a crit on the craft to get the mod slot.

I think I found a bugged recipe? or just extremely unlucky. The incorrect prefix is tripping me out so i gave up for now.

Edited by Sardusx

I'll confirm the chat bug and add it into the guide with thanks to you. For the "Crit crafting mods doesn't give 2" bit, can you elaborate on what you expect to happen and what is actually happening? Because I read that as you expect critical crafting to yield two items, and this isn't how it works in any profession, to my knowledge.

Ain't mod crafting suppose to crit and give two instead of one ?

Also companions returning from crafted/trade/gathering missions don't allways seem right about what they did ( they say they failed, but i get a modulator slot on items and/or crit purple mats )

Edited by MichaelKage

Ain't mod crafting suppose to crit and give two instead of one ?

Also companions returning from crafted/trade/gathering missions don't allways seem right about what they did ( they say they failed, but i get a modulator slot on items and/or crit purple mats )

As far as I'm aware critically crafted mods merely have better stats. I'm not positive as my main crafter cannot make mods.

As for the companions, this is true (and funny) but not relevant to reverse engineering. But for a kick, roll a Sith Warrior and send Vette on a few missions. Eventually she'll say "Alrighty." and because of the tech filter made to sound like it's over a com-link, she sounds like a murloc from WoW.

I've confirmed the chat bug and will now be adding it to the guide, thanks.

If I find a Purple item such as a purple(prototype) ear as a cyber can I RE it for hopes of getting a schematic for it? Or does it have to be a schem I already have? Like if I RE a blue mod I find in a item that I dont have the schem for do I have a chance of getting a schem?

If I find a Purple item such as a purple(prototype) ear as a cyber can I RE it for hopes of getting a schematic for it? Or does it have to be a schem I already have? Like if I RE a blue mod I find in a item that I dont have the schem for do I have a chance of getting a schem?

I don't have any information on the chances of learning a schematic from an item you cannot make. Further info on this would be appreciated.

However, for the record, purple is Artifact not Prototype.

I don't have any information on the chances of learning a schematic from an item you cannot make. Further info on this would be appreciated.

However, for the record, purple is Artifact not Prototype.

Ok... well the purple item I have says [Prototype] Insensate Might D-Device and it is definitely purple....

I want to note that the Reusable Biochem Items can only be used by people who have biochem. e.g. a level 16 medkit needs biochem 50 to be used.

And the Purple versions in biochem are not better than the blue ones.

e.g. blue medkit 850-1000 health + 550 over 30 secs.

Purple one: 850-1000 health. but is not consumed

Ok... well the purple item I have says [Prototype] Insensate Might D-Device and it is definitely purple....

Yes, I've seen this, but it's likely either a glitch or an error. If you use the GTM interface and sort by quality, you will see that the purple quality is Artifact and blue is Prototype.

I believe "Prototype" is a prefix found on world drop boes

Perhaps, but judging on the amount of similar items like this on the marketplace, I assumed they were craftable as well. Weapons seem to do this a lot, maybe an Armstech can let us know.