[Guide] Reverse Engineering

Slaign

Thanks for the guide.

Regarding the chance of getting new schematics, do you know if it is a small "random" value, or fixed ? Does it also depend on the type of item you are REing ?

Some background:

- one of my char with synthweaving tried to RE 20+ of a regular light armor sash (the first one you get) and still nothing (I remember during beta, I got improved versions much faster, this could have changed)

- on the other hand, another char with biochem managed to get several blues and one purple already with only a few RE (less than 10)

I believe it functions just like loot. There is a fixed percentage chance to get a schematic, and sometimes your lucky, sometimes dreadfully unlucky.

It's possible that these percentages are different for different items, in fact, I'd hazard a guess they are. I'd guess that more expensive items are more likely to provide a schematic than cheaper items of the same grade. This would be so that you don't have to spend an inordinate amount of time RE'ing an item that is difficult to make. I don't have evidence of this, however.

When I started this guide, I must have RE'd 15 Heavy Thermal Boots before I got my first blue schematic from it. I blew off steam complaining about it in general, then the next one got it for me, lol. After that, the rest came relatively quickly.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just posting to say you're doing a wonderful job, Slaign. As an Armstech driven to acquire as many schematics as possible, this has helped with knowing how many levels their are on each tier :) Amazing work and if I find out anything that further needs adding, I'll pass it along.

RE-ing artifacts can yield results it is confirmed i just did it and also sorry if you hate me it took me 3 attempts

im armstech 153/400

so i crafted:

m-415 particle beam ripper (initially learned from a dropped schematic, prototype base)

dam 97-118

19 end

23 cun

16pow

143 tech

i re-d into a redoubt( not sure how many i made for this but less then 15) but i didnt want it so i made the base version again and re-d into overkill( 1 shot)

overkill m-415 particle beam ripper( artifact )

same stats as above cept

dam 107-131

29 pow

in 3 re-s i got another version still artifact though so it didnt go up a tier from artifact

hawkeye m-415 particle beam ripper( artifact)

same stats as above cept

13 accuracy

not really worth it but it is do-able

dont know if somebody else succeeded in this before now i stopped reading when i re-d the new sniper schematic

RE-ing artifacts can yield results it is confirmed i just did it and also sorry if you hate me it took me 3 attempts

im armstech 153/400

so i crafted:

m-415 particle beam ripper (initially learned from a dropped schematic, prototype base)

dam 97-118

19 end

23 cun

16pow

143 tech

i re-d into a redoubt( not sure how many i made for this but less then 15) but i didnt want it so i made the base version again and re-d into overkill( 1 shot)

overkill m-415 particle beam ripper( artifact )

same stats as above cept

dam 107-131

29 pow

in 3 re-s i got another version still artifact though so it didnt go up a tier from artifact

hawkeye m-415 particle beam ripper( artifact)

same stats as above cept

13 accuracy

not really worth it but it is do-able

dont know if somebody else succeeded in this before now i stopped reading when i re-d the new sniper schematic

Why would I hate you, this is wonderful information! Not only have you confirmed the RE'ing a Tier 1 Prefix Artifact can result in a Tier 2 Prefix Artifact, you found one of the 2 missing Prefixes! Thank you so much, the guide will be updated shortly.

So if i got this right :

Green recipe>>Blue recipe+1x(tier 1prefix[ has 3 variants])>>

>>Purple recipe+1x(tier 2prefix[subcategory of tier 1 with 5 variants])

if i got this right i don't think there will be tier 3 since that would make items legendary

you don't need that many variants anyway since most are crap for the intended class

(eg. +def on smuggler ? )

So if i got this right :

Green recipe>>Blue recipe+1x(tier 1prefix[ has 3 variants])>>

>>Purple recipe+1x(tier 2prefix[subcategory of tier 1 with 5 variants])

if i got this right i don't think there will be tier 3 since that would make items legendary

you don't need that many variants anyway since most are crap for the intended class

(eg. +def on smuggler ? )

If the base item is blue, you can RE and get purple tier 1 prefixes. It was recently confirmed that RE'ing those purple tier 1 prefixes can result in purple tier 2 prefixes. So that doesn't mean tier 3 prefixes would have to be legendary.

That said, I don't think there is a third tier. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and 2 tiers already makes the crafting system quite massive.

Nice guide, thank you.

BioWare needs to make orange gear RE'able, so that we can get an augment slot in there. Otherwise, it won't stay competitive at endgame. At least that is what I so far take from the current system.

Edited by magnuskn

Can ALL protype's RE to give Artifact schematics? I've got artifact schematics from Adrenals/Medkits/Stims (very quickly tbh, usually about 2 per level is all thats needed).

Got a prototype Implant on first try, then 18~ RE's of the prototype later still nothing, rarely get more than 2 mats back too :/

(hyperneural might package -> overkill hyperneural might package. Anything come next anyone know?)

Concerning the vanishing reverse engineering button...

I've found that opening the inventory window by pressing "I" instead of clicking the button at the top of the UI seems to correct this. It hasn't failed me yet, though I can't speak for everyone. Good info though! Thanks much.

Pressing Ctrl+u Ctrl+u will reset your UI and should fix most (if not all) UI related oddities (including the map becoming unusable after shuttling to another instance)

Wonderful thread. Thank you all!

So what remains to be seen is what happens when you RE a tier 2 purple. Can we craft the deep purple legendary items? I truly hope so. I will be sorely disappointed if not.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in this. I confess I didn't read every post in here word for word, but most of it! ;-)

Thanks again to the creator and contributors!

~Eve

Edited by GeekGrrly

Just a quick question/comment:

If I'm reading things right, you're saying that only items crafted as a critical success can be RE'd?

I did not find this to be case with armour... I learned a bunch of blue schematics RE'ing regular items. While the blue schematic you would get off of RE'ing a critical success item would (most likely) include the augment slot, and the blue off of a "normal" success would not, it is possible to get schematics off all the items you craft.

If you mean that it's better/more worth it to only RE the critical successes, then that's another thing :-)

My apologies in advance if I misunderstood something in your guide!

Also, great work on the guide. I can't wait until we understand everything a bit better, and guides such as yours are invaluable.

A few questions related to REing:

1. Has anyone successfully learned a brand new recipe by REing a non-crafted item? For example, it would be nice to be able to craft Guardian Mods (similar to the +str/+end ones we get as cybertechs from the trainer but the stat balance is tipped toward end rather than str), but they don't seem to be trainable. I tried purchasing 10 of the mods from a commendation vendor and REing them but I never learned a recipe -- not sure if I just didn't get lucky or if it's not possible.
  2. Is it possible to learn a recipe from a crafted item if you don't know the base recipe? Say Player X crafts the base green item and gives it to player Y, who doesn't have that particular recipe for the green item. Can player Y RE the item and get a blue recipe? This could be a way to "propogate" rarer recipes to other crafters if it is possible.

I'm Cybertech (about 70 I think) and I have a few questions.

I see the weapon/armor RE adds a stat when you learn the blue recipe.

For Cybertech it seems that you always learn the blue with the same stats but just +1

So let's say Skill Mod 2 (green) gives you +1 End and +5 Cunning, it seems that Skill Mod 2 (blue) will always give you +2 End and +6 Cunning.

Is that correct?

Now I have a few questions.

- Once you've learned the blue recipe is there any point in crafting more of the green one to RE? Or is it a waste of resources?

- Is it stupid to RE low level greens just to get a blue recipe?

What I mean is that I REd a blue Skill Mod 2 but then I learned Skill Mod 3 from the trainer and it was basically better.

So it seems that REing low level item could be a big waste of resources....

In any case, good guide. Keep it up.